The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a reply to who Gerrard played as a 10 on the right side Grigo. In general though I am not a huge fan of Hagi and I would hope Lowry might get the game time in his absence.

Just don't see the point of losing the nut at the moment we still have 4 weeks until the season actually starts and I genuinely don't believe nothing is happening either. I can get peoples frustation over last season because it was our own fault on the park that cost us the title and in my opinion nothing to do with recruitment. Managers approach to games were costly as well. We took a gamble in January and it didn't work but I can also understand why we haven't spent money due to what COVID's done to the club.

I don't think the squad we have is anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be or requires as many signings as people are saying. I do want to see us bring a couple in for the starting 11 to freshen it up especially for the right wing but after that I'm not expecting us to do anything until someone from the 11 goes and it's like for like replacements.

Yes I misunderstood the context of your point mate, sorry.

I think we’ll end up with another four players from today until end August, with two leaving, so we’ve got that chance to freshen up BK, with John Souttar already here.

Evolution, not revolution.

It does leave a big job for next season right enough lol

Helander Goldson and Souttar as a 3 with Tav and Bassey as attacking wingbacks would be pretty special
I don’t see the need for three centre backs domestically tbh.

I don’t get the whole demand for this to happen.

Tav and Bassey can act as wingbacks as part of a back four and you have an extra player left over.

And I don’t think we have the pace at either side for a back 3. You need to have mobile centre backs.

Bassey would be perfect as a LCB but his attacking qualities have developed that much he’d be a waste at centre back.

Honestly get the feeling that a lot of the ex-pros are stuck in whatever period they played. £6m was a massive signing in Kenny's prime years - we even got him for about £2m.

Same with Barry Ferguson, his mind is stuck in an era where we couldn't turn down £7.5m for him.

At this point their opinions on transfer fees are useless
It's difficult to keep up. I remember the 1st million pound transfer. Madness was pretty much what everyone was saying.

Now, Spurs offer £40 million for Richarlison. It gets turned down and they then offer £60 million the next day.

Understandable why people can't get their heads around it.

I think our defensive business is finished.

We’ll run with Goldson, Helander, Souttar and King.

Only exits I can see possibly happening is Barisic or Bassey.

We’ve been crying out for quality attacking options for years now it feels. I hope all our focus is put towards that.

Dangerous game given Helander, Souttar and Barišic injury history.

I still feel we need either a CB or LB to complete the defence. I’d like to move on Barišić and bring in a LB then we’ve got Bassey to play either CB or LB.

Only if Helander is sold. It would completely block off King's development path if we had four players for his position in front of him.

People go on all the time about giving our youth a chance, but won't even trust one of our most promising prospects to fill the role of 4th choice central defender. Braga had multiple teenagers playing in their European quarter final against us; we are miles behind at this.

More importantly if money is as tight as people say there's no reason we should be wasting it on a position which is already stacked with bodies instead of giving King a chance.

Don't forget we actually beat Braga though.

Our team may have been older, but it was better.

If King can prove himself better than Goldson, Souttar, or Helander, then he'll get starts.

You don't play youth just for the sake of it.
You only play them if they improve your team.

I still feel we need either a CB or LB to complete the defence. I’d like to move on Barišić and bring in a LB then we’ve got Bassey to play either CB or LB.
Need to ideally offload Katic and Simpson I think we would listen to offers for Helander especially since he has a year left on his contract.

If we keep Bassey/Barisic I'd like to see us add another quality CB pending Helander was moved on.

Hopefully has a bit more luck next season and avoids the serious injuries that have kept him out. 55 season showed when he's fit and not getting the type of injuries he's had he's available for plenty of games only missed 6 that season.
He only played in 31 games in all Competitions that season. He was on the bench for some more too but who knows how fit he was in the games he didn’t start in. I’d sell him if we could. 60 appearances and only a further 28 times in the squad across 3 seasons is atrocious.

Yes I misunderstood the context of your point mate, sorry.

I think we’ll end up with another four players from today until end August, with two leaving, so we’ve got that chance to freshen up BK, with John Souttar already here.

Evolution, not revolution.

It does leave a big job for next season right enough lol

I think we will end up with 4 or 5 as well but we simply can't carry the size of squad we have at present then keep adding to it. It's the reason we are in the mess we are in and I want to see the likes of Katic, Simpson gone in this window and if it's from the starting 11 I wouldn't be bothered about Borna going if Bassey is still here. We also have an exciting group of younger players we need to start using and putting faith in them it's what can bring money to the club like we saw with Patterson.

I didn't agree with Mcgregor extension it's the only one I've disagreed with so far getting Goldson tied down was massive for us. Souttar already in replaces Balogun and Colak will replace Itten.

He only played in 31 games in all Competitions that season. He was on the bench for some more too but who knows how fit he was in the games he didn’t start in. I’d sell him if we could. 60 appearances and only a further 28 times in the squad across 3 seasons is atrocious.

Yeah an unused sub 17 times that season but for me hee's been unlucky with his injuries especially the 2 he picked up last season. I would move him on if we could given his contract situation and try recoup some sort of money for him.

I think we will end up with 4 or 5 as well but we simply can't carry the size of squad we have at present then keep adding to it. It's the reason we are in the mess we are in and I want to see the likes of Katic, Simpson gone in this window and if it's from the starting 11 I wouldn't be bothered about Borna going if Bassey is still here. We also have an exciting group of younger players we need to start using and putting faith in them it's what can bring money to the club like we saw with Patterson.

I didn't agree with Mcgregor extension it's the only one I've disagreed with so far getting Goldson tied down was massive for us. Souttar already in replaces Balogun and Colak will replace Itten.

Agree with you on McGregor mate, I wasn’t behind that.

As you say, Katic & Simpson out would be great, even if we get 1m for them total. It’s two salaries saved that could be for a guy who can actually add value.

As you say, Katic & Simpson out would be great, even if we get 1m for them total. It’s two salaries saved that could be for a guy who can actually add value.
I'm surprised we didn't reduce the fee in the buy out for Katic loan deal in Croatia Rijeka seemed to like him but just couldn't pay the £3m

Thats certainly massaging the figures.

One of those seasons he was 16!

He has certainly had injury problems, however he's played over 30 games in 5 of his seasons as a pro.
Fair enough with your comments on his early career appearances, and I'm not being negative as I do rate him as a player, but that level of Ankle injury and subsequent injuries / niggles to the same Ankle for me means he will need to be managed throughout the season

I think our defensive business is finished.

We’ll run with Goldson, Helander, Souttar and King.

Only exits I can see possibly happening is Barisic or Bassey.

We’ve been crying out for quality attacking options for years now it feels. I hope all our focus is put towards that.
Unless we want to extend Helander we will likely be trying to move him on.

He has one year left of a injury plagued time with us

Hoping with Katic we can meet the middle ground with Hadjuk and he can go. Simpson we know isn't going to work out I would have liked to have saw him go out on loan to a team here to understand the league get games under his belt and see how he does but if we can get him out it would help. After that decisions on Helander and Roofe need to be made if Oforborh is fit now can we get him loaned somewhere to make up for lost time maybe back in the shop window. McCrorie has to go out on loan as well just think Gio has a lot of work and thinking to do about the squad he actually wants to carry next season.

If King can prove himself better than Goldson, Souttar, or Helander, then he'll get starts.

True but you need to find a way of giving them game time to allow them to improve into a genuine regular starter candidate.

If they are not up to it you will find out.

You only need to look at Bassey's development once he started playing regularly.

That’s my issue with Colak - quality over quantity. I would much rather we spend whatever budget is available on a right sided forward and a number 8 (who can shoot from range!). If they really want a 3rd option to replace Itten, then use the loan market for that.
There is an assumption that colak is just a squad filler, I actually think he is coming in to compete for a starting shirt. He will hopefully surprise a few of us and add something different to the attack

Hoping with Katic we can meet the middle ground with Hadjuk and he can go. Simpson we know isn't going to work out I would have liked to have saw him go out on loan to a team here to understand the league get games under his belt and see how he does but if we can get him out it would help. After that decisions on Helander and Roofe need to be made if Oforborh is fit now can we get him loaned somewhere to make up for lost time maybe back in the shop window. McCrorie has to go out on loan as well just think Gio has a lot of work and thinking to do about the squad he actually wants to carry next season.

Yes, for different reasons, I think all of them could go.

Helander & Roofe might get us a few million quid.

Unless we want to extend Helander we will likely be trying to move him on.

He has one year left of a injury plagued time with us
Nobody is buying Helander with his injury record. Even if he was away on a free transfer this summer no one is picking him up for the wages he would be after.

It took Simunovic nearly a year and a half to find a club after leaving Celtic on a free.

We’re just going to have try and make his last year work for us.

True but you need to find a way of giving them game time to allow them to improve into a genuine regular starter candidate.

If they are not up to it you will find out.

You only need to look at Bassey's development once he started playing regularly.

Absolutely, but you don't give that game time in a Europa quarter final mate.

It's also worth remembering that Bassey is more than 3 years older than King too.

It's all gone quiet on Barisic, from earlier speculation.

I’ve no idea if the three players I mentioned want to run down their contracts, just to be clear. Nevertheless, it could well be that we’d prefer them to sign extensions - I think most would be happy enough with that? - and that’s a deal to be negotiated. Turning around and saying ‘you’ve got a week to sign’ is only going to alienate the player and, potentially, see him take the very course of action you don’t want.

All speculation on my part, of course. Simply trying to illustrate that all this stuff about ‘moving on’ players etc isn’t as straight forward as some seem to think.

Furthermore, if someone wants to come in with a big bid for one of our players I don’t think you, me or anyone else expects the Club to turn it down out of hand. Bassey remains the one we’d probably be most keen to move on but the Aribo clause probably makes him the most likely. Either requires a buyer though - and a club the player is happy to go to. Maybe they are holding off in the hope that our ‘desperation’ sees us drop the prices? That’s out of our hands.

And, of course, if we sell a player at a knockdown price this forum again goes mental. Can’t win.
Mate, this is the transfer thread. Stop it with yer sensible posting!!!

I'd like us to start phasing out players that can't keep fit.

Roofe, Helander, Barisic with his injuries and form.

That's probably 50-60k a week that we don't get enough use of throughout a season, we could get two top players for us for that imo.

Nobody is buying Helander with his injury record. Even if he was away on a free transfer this summer no one is picking him up for the wages he would be after.

It took Simunovic nearly a year and a half to find a club after leaving Celtic on a free.

We’re just going to have try and make his last year work for us.
So why would we prioritise Helander over Souttar when Souttar is the better defender?

They seem to manage it well enough on the other side of the city.

The ‘player trading model’ was all that was banged on about at the last two AGMs by the people supposed to be implementing it. It’s a key pillar in us becoming self sufficient but we have failed to do this. I’m sure this had to have been a key remit of the football dept at some point but it hasn’t happened. To say ‘ach well maybe they wanted to run their contracts down anyway’ or ‘maybe no one wants them’ just after they reached a EL isn’t good enough I’m afraid.

Now we’re hamstrung in the market as a result and run the risk of having another poor window which would be the third in succession.
What do you think the answer is here?
Where is Wilson going wrong?
It’s a genuine question because I don’t know how he can strong arm other clubs into agreement, despite the scum’s apparent successes.

It was a reply to who Gerrard played as a 10 on the right side Grigo. In general though I am not a huge fan of Hagi and I would hope Lowry might get the game time in his absence.

Just don't see the point of losing the nut at the moment we still have 4 weeks until the season actually starts and I genuinely don't believe nothing is happening either. I can get peoples frustation over last season because it was our own fault on the park that cost us the title and in my opinion nothing to do with recruitment. Managers approach to games were costly as well. We took a gamble in January and it didn't work but I can also understand why we haven't spent money due to what COVID's done to the club.

I don't think the squad we have is anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be or requires as many signings as people are saying. I do want to see us bring a couple in for the starting 11 to freshen it up especially for the right wing but after that I'm not expecting us to do anything until someone from the 11 goes and it's like for like replacements.
And another one! Fuxake mate. Too sensible for this thread. Get with the programme!! ;)

I'd like us to start phasing out players that can't keep fit.

Roofe, Helander, Barisic with his injuries and form.

That's probably 50-60k a week that we don't get enough use of throughout a season, we could get two top players for us for that imo.

Probably shouldn’t have signed John Souttar then going by that logic

King won't play too many games this coming season. How many teenage CB's play regularly for Rangers?
Derek Johnstone is the only one that springs to mind, although Big Slim got a good few games too.

Absolutely, but you don't give that game time in a Europa quarter final mate.

It's also worth remembering that Bassey is more than 3 years older than King too.
Agreed but we need to find a way of giving King and Lowry 20 games this season.

That is doable.

Honestly get the feeling that a lot of the ex-pros are stuck in whatever period they played. £6m was a massive signing in Kenny's prime years - we even got him for about £2m.

Same with Barry Ferguson, his mind is stuck in an era where we couldn't turn down £7.5m for him.

At this point their opinions on transfer fees are useless

Nah it’s because if miller says £10-12m or more he will be challenged every single time by a host and fellow pundit to justify it. It’s a path of least resistance from ex pros who have done it so often on ‘neutral’ platforms it even would be said on RTV too when no one would question him.

The ex Celtic players who act as their cheerleaders in the press don’t get the same level of scrutiny so are more comfortable sticking to their guns.

I'm surprised we didn't reduce the fee in the buy out for Katic loan deal in Croatia Rijeka seemed to like him but just couldn't pay the £3m
Hopefully there's still time for that. I have a feeling this deal might still go through a bit later in the window, maybe at around the £2M mark. Be good for all parties.

We don't need to sign a centre half. We have Leon King, it would be stupidity to waste money on a Simpson or an Edmundson.

We go into next season With Goldson, Souttar & Helander as our three main established central defenders, with guys like Bassey, Lundstram and Sands capable of filling in if we switch to a back 5.

Should see King get plenty of game time and a chance to establish himself in the first team.
And Katic if he's still around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back