Catering in Ibrox - How is it possible?

Might be a draft question, I know we can't have fryers due to space / ventilation, but why can't we use air fryers instead? They'd make a fortune churning out chips, wedges, air fried chicken wings etc.

The blue sky lounge works that’s ongoing.

Don’t think it’s to open until the end of the year I think. Loads of work still ongoing as far as I’m aware.
Yeah I heard that there's been some delays. One of those friend of a friend type stories though so

But happy to give it to the robbing bastards outside where Rangers get nothing from it.
I don't see how you can take issue with someone using a burger van to get some decent food at a lower cost than the kiosks who quite frankly should be wearing ski masks! £3.20 for a drink in a white and green cup with no ice!
Capri Sun getting taken in from now on

Had a cheeseburger the other night and whilst it was not superb it was better than the previous ones you used to get for sure .

But happy to give it to the robbing bastards outside where Rangers get nothing from it.
Well maybe they should improve on the inside catering then.

Or be proactive and have more of a say on what’s outside if hampered by the size/layout off kiosks inside. Their own vans etc

Depending on where it is on the footprint they may be paid rent?

We shouldn’t just blindly accept that we should automatically always hand over money to rangers if somethings absolutely terrible. And I think the club is guilty of that because we have a ridiculously loyal fan base.

The sheer lack of ambition by the catering company is jaw-dropping.

There are limitations on what can be cooked and held in the cabinets at the back, but the silly little display stand that holds about a dozen bags of crisps and about 20 chocolate bars is pitiful.

A research trip to the likes of Greggs, Subway, Boots, Superdrug, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Nero, Costa, Starbucks etc and it’s obvious lots of other items justify selling space, not just the core food items.

You're presuming everyone is in easy reach of Glasgow. Often our fans have travelled longer times than the duration of the game already and will settle for whatever and whatever cost .

I'll also add a lot of our Glasgow fans underlook just how much of our fanbase don't live in Glasgow and never did. A couple hours at the game is a day trip for some and an absolute nightmare on weeknights
I pick my 8yr old son up at 5pm, bus at 5:30pm, then we don't get back home till 10:30pm. Even if I do bring some sandwiches, he will still want something hot to eat at half time.

Anyone know if the mobile food cart in the GR will come back, I’m thinking this is a gonner as a result of the new supplier.

Not enough stock and the queues take ages. There also should be separate water sales around the stadium. You should not need to queue for 15-20 minutes for bottles of water. Water sales should be scattered around the stadium with single kiosks here and there sellling bottled water only.
Preferably cold!

You're presuming everyone is in easy reach of Glasgow. Often our fans have travelled longer times than the duration of the game already and will settle for whatever and whatever cost .

I'll also add a lot of our Glasgow fans underlook just how much of our fanbase don't live in Glasgow and never did. A couple hours at the game is a day trip for some and an absolute nightmare on weeknights
Spot on mate , I leave the house at roughly 730am for a 3pm kick off, and don't get home till 10pm ..have to eat either at the stadium or in the vicinity.

For it to be actually worse now than last season?

Has anyone seen the ‘burgers’?
Have you tried the burgers?

It’s a million times better than last season. Anyone expecting gourmet burgers at the football is always going to be disappointed

It's not impossible to prepare food in advance of a long journey.

The sheer lack of ambition by the catering company is jaw-dropping.

There are limitations on what can be cooked and held in the cabinets at the back, but the silly little display stand that holds about a dozen bags of crisps and about 20 chocolate bars is pitiful.

A research trip to the likes of Greggs, Subway, Boots, Superdrug, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys, Nero, Costa, Starbucks etc and it’s obvious lots of other items justify selling space, not just the core food items.
Every single place you mentioned has “silly little display stands that holds a dozen packs of crisps” :))

Spot on mate , I leave the house at roughly 730am for a 3pm kick off, and don't get home till 10pm ..have to eat either at the stadium or in the vicinity.

Exactly, there's plenty reasons for people to opt for food at the game.

The match experience should be just that. An experience. It's not the 70s where you're going to a game and having someone piss down the back of your leg. Doing things like going to games in the modern day

It's an absolutely bizarre attitude the likes of @Bearsdenloyal shows when it comes to this sort of thing. People might want to enjoy a day out with the option of a bit of food. It's not a difficult concept.

It's not about going 4 hours without food. It's about making a day of your trip.

Last edited:
I remember getting a pie either last season or the one before and It was that hard, if I had thrown it at someone it would have knocked them out :) I'm over for the Ross County game so look forward to seeing if stuff has improved.

Might be a draft question, I know we can't have fryers due to space / ventilation, but why can't we use air fryers instead? They'd make a fortune churning out chips, wedges, air fried chicken wings etc.
I'm no expert on the subject, but, my understanding would be that would require every person who works in the kiosks to have food hygene certificates etc. I don't think they need to have them to pull a pie out of a heater and give it to you.

I get that it's fair to have a moan if food is over-priced and crap. It should be possible to sort out a reasonable balance of quality and cost.

What I don't get is the moany buzz-kills who don't think that enjoying a bit of food or a drink at a sporting event should not be a fair part of the package. "Why can't you go 90 minutes without eating?"

I can, but I might not want to. I might enjoy a burger or a beer while I'm at a game. It might be a rare treat for the kids. They might expect a hot-dog when they go to the football or a movie. Maybe we should ban ice-cream at the beach? "Can you not just wait until you're back in the house?"

Shitey argument.

Love the sound of that black pudding roll though.

Fill out the feedback forms that SLO is sharing and share all this negative feedback

One that I’ve raised particularly is the pricing. I get that at events the prices are usually high, however for the substandard quality the prices are even worse

I get that it's fair to have a moan if food is over-priced and crap. It should be possible to sort out a reasonable balance of quality and cost.

What I don't get is the moany buzz-kills who don't think that enjoying a bit of food or a drink at a sporting event should not be a fair part of the package. "Why can't you go 90 minutes without eating?"

I can, but I might not want to. I might enjoy a burger or a beer while I'm at a game. It might be a rare treat for the kids. They might expect a hot-dog when they go to the football or a movie. Maybe we should ban ice-cream at the beach? "Can you not just wait until you're back in the house?"

Shitey argument.

Love the sound of that black pudding roll though.
Well said mate. Folk moaning at other folk eating at the game is bizarre and pathetic

I got a coke the other night at half time it was lukewarm.

I'm not sure if some guy was trying to scam a free drink out the kiosk aswell I got served just at the end of half time when everyone was starting to head back up to their seats and he came walking up to the the counter and said to the girl pouring my drink how are you getting on are you ok? And she say aye who are you? And he said who am I? I'm your supervisor I run the kiosks. She was looking confused and looking about at the other staff but they were all busy and he said I can grab a hat and come and help you and she said no it's ok he then asked for a drink and there was a bit of noise so I couldn't her then he said no it's ok I'm the supervisor, the girl was looking confused and I looked at the guy and he looked at me and started laughing.

I got my drink and left but I just thought it was a bit bizarre she didn't know who her supervisor was

£4.70 for a Fanta and chocolate bar.

Apparently the card payment declined as the card reader was ‘faulty’, 2nd card reader worked fine, 2 payments out of my bank the sneaky f_ckers.
Same thing happened to me, 14 quid for a program water and chocolate. Is there any way we can chase refunds?

Have you tried the burgers?

It’s a million times better than last season. Anyone expecting gourmet burgers at the football is always going to be disappointed
Had one on Tuesday in the SJR and it was the worst burger I’ve ever had.

Maybe I was just unlucky but the guy serving me looked like he felt sorry for me as he handed it over to me.

Why are people trying to compare food kiosks at a football stadium to Greggs, cinemas or other outlets? Rangers play, at most, twice a week at Ibrox with zero footfall inbetween the very, very small windows for sales. It is so bloody obvious it should not need pointing out that food outlets with daily opening hours, designed to serve food for 8 hours of every single day, can far better manage stock, supply and demand and be able to make sure that they hold what is needed for pretty much all circumstances.

The operators of the kiosks can only really buy stock dependent on previous sales and with such a small window to sell stuff, zero chance of extending those windows to allow chilled or held over food to be sold the following day, or even the following hour, it is blindingly obvious that margins are tight, wastage has to be kept to an absolute minimum and selling out is the perfect outcome for them.

Obviously things like cold drinks are needed, but even that requires fridges to be running for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a 1 hour sales period per week, perhaps 2. It is just not cost effective.

Improvements can be made, and should be made, but it sounds like the choice is getting better and the food itself is improving so hopefully things are moving in the right direction.

There is also the biggest point; If you do not want to buy it, don't buy it.

Is anyone genuinely surprised by the state of the catering because I'm not.

The food will be cheap and massively processed regardless of what the taster sessions provided your then asking especially part time workers on a minimum wage to serve it up and no disrespect some of them behind the kiosk don't have a clue what they are doing half the time.

Again the Club and the catering firm will make money and they won't care one bit about standard/quality because fans are daft enough to pay stupid money for sub standard food/drink.

Take a bottle of juice or a snack in that's what I've been doing for years.

Why are people trying to compare food kiosks at a football stadium to Greggs, cinemas or other outlets? Rangers play, at most, twice a week at Ibrox with zero footfall inbetween the very, very small windows for sales. It is so bloody obvious it should not need pointing out that food outlets with daily opening hours, designed to serve food for 8 hours of every single day, can far better manage stock, supply and demand and be able to make sure that they hold what is needed for pretty much all circumstances.

The operators of the kiosks can only really buy stock dependent on previous sales and with such a small window to sell stuff, zero chance of extending those windows to allow chilled or held over food to be sold the following day, or even the following hour, it is blindingly obvious that margins are tight, wastage has to be kept to an absolute minimum and selling out is the perfect outcome for them.

Obviously things like cold drinks are needed, but even that requires fridges to be running for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for a 1 hour sales period per week, perhaps 2. It is just not cost effective.

Improvements can be made, and should be made, but it sounds like the choice is getting better and the food itself is improving so hopefully things are moving in the right direction.

There is also the biggest point; If you do not want to buy it, don't buy it.
They ran out of stuff one game an hour before it even started with crowds barely in. That’s not managing based on previous sales.

Don’t need to chill drinks for a week. That can be switched on the night before or even the morning of. It shouldn’t be anything to do with cost effective. It’s about actually selling the product to the proper standard if you are charging premium prices. The prices set should be factored in to cover such overheads (which I bet they are yet not passed down to the quality)

Who wants to drink water that would be better with 2 sugar and milk?

Exactly, there's plenty reasons for people to opt for food at the game.

The match experience should be just that. An experience. It's not the 70s where you're going to a game and having someone piss down the back of your leg. Doing things like going to games in the modern day

It's an absolutely bizarre attitude the likes of @Bearsdenloyal shows when it comes to this sort of thing. People might want to enjoy a day out with the option of a bit of food. It's not a difficult concept.

It's not about going 4 hours without food. It's about making a day of your trip.
On the one hand this, on the other I'm not sure what people are expecting from stadium food.

On the one hand this, on the other I'm not sure what people are expecting from stadium food.

Aye, there's a balance between expecting what you might get in a nice burger joint in town at a sports venue and it actually being some sort combination of edible and not a complete rip off.

I think everyone is accepting of the captive market prices though there's a limit where it just becomes a rip off. It's like pints of lager at a Festival. You accept it's going to be dearer than what you pay in a pub despite it being in a plastic cup. At the same point, when it's £12 you wonder if you'll bother.

It should definitely be there as a reasonable option for those who want it all the same.

As much as the quality of food and the pricing is an issue, the speed of service is almost the worst thing for me.

We cannot get the service industry correct in this country at all.

Back