New TV deal

This bit of the deal sounds like a step forward. The rest is shit, apart from maybe the minimum limit of 42 games they must achieve.

On the table for Scottish clubs as an added incentive is scope to sell up to five of their home matches each season on a pay-per-view basis, but only if the fixture has not been chosen for live Sky broadcast and does not – pending special dispensation – fall in the UK blackout window between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.

Last edited:
There's a simple solution to that, my friend...
I know about the alternatives on an individual level, but I mean from a perspective of the club and as a Rangers fan wanting a better TV deal. I don't think there is a simple solution for that. The Setanta disaster means we're basically going into these negotiations with absolutely zero leverage and most of us will pay for Sky Sports because of our ongoing interest in English football as well as our regional league. It's one of the weirder things about our set up within the UK and how important our league is to us versus any other countries in anything even resembling a similar boat.

In a era where there's more competition for live sports rights and the league currently are not getting enough money for tv rights in comparison to other leagues at a similar level, the spfl are prepared to lock the league into a extra four years of exclusivity to sky for all of 2 million more per season without even opening up the possibility for someone else offering more when the rights are closer to expiring. Incompetent isn't a strong enough word for the people in charge of the spfl.

This but of the deal sounds like a step forward. The rest is shit, apart from maybe the minimum limit of 42 games they must achievel

On the table for Scottish clubs as an added incentive is scope to sell up to five of their home matches each season on a pay-per-view basis, but only if the fixture has not been chosen for live Sky broadcast and does not – pending special dispensation – fall in the UK blackout window between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.
The blackout needs ditched! And only 5 home games is a step in the right direction but nowhere near enough.

The thing is Sky know that they are negotiating with the same pushovers and over-promoted morons who've been at the top of our game for the past 15 years. Almost regardless of antipathy about any other issue clubs need to realise that we need a clearing of the decks if we're going to achieve any meaningful improvement in our commercial deals as a league as all the incumbents have is a track record of totally underselling the product.

Absolutely useless 'sweetener'.

I know about the alternatives on an individual level, but I mean from a perspective of the club and as a Rangers fan wanting a better TV deal. I don't think there is a simple solution for that. The Setanta disaster means we're basically going into these negotiations with absolutely zero leverage and most of us will pay for Sky Sports because of our ongoing interest in English football as well as our regional league. It's one of the weirder things about our set up within the UK and how important our league is to us versus any other countries in anything even resembling a similar boat.
Countries like Turkey get 75 mill a season.

This but of the deal sounds like a step forward. The rest is shit, apart from maybe the minimum limit of 42 games they must achieve.

Similar to the EFL deal that Sky agreed to allow those clubs to stream games outwith the blackout period - some midweeks are available via Sky red button as well as the clubs

Countries like Turkey get 75 mill a season.
I have zero actual knowledge but the way I look at it is 500,000 people in Scotland might care enough to pay £50 a month to watch Scottish football. Unfortunately, those 500,000 people are paying £50 a month and £49.99 of that is going to English football. I don't know what the solution is.

And meanwhile, the mighty MLS just negotiated $250mmm/season! SIX times as much for a lower quality game, all be it a much bigger potential audience. Well done the SPFL. Selling the whole Scottish game than less than we could make from the Champions League Groups if we get there. Extraordinary incompetence, and I offer that as a Professional Negotiator for the last 40 years. Utterly hopeless.

Doncaster & Co. have little faith in the product thus are keen to give away long-term contracts for nominal amounts. They are obviously concerned about the lack of an alternative.

What a sad situation.

From the article it appears they can more that 60 games as well

Sky’s existing deal with the SPFL, which allows a maximum of 48 games a season, is due to expire in 2025.

Under the revised terms, Sky will continue with that limit this season and next at a cost of £25.7m and £26.7m respectively.

From the 2024-25 season the 60-match limit triggers a £27.6m payment which will increase by almost £2m for the next four seasons.

Sky will have the option of further 10-match SPFL bundles at the cost of around £4m from 2024-5

Norway gets more than double that.
The marketing of the SPFL is abysmal because it's run by placemen put there to further the interests of one club.
Keep the other teams poor and they can use and manipulate them anyway they want.

Think our league needs to have more teams, 18 league premier, the smaller clubs can play youth and not have to worry about buying shite standard lower league players every season. Could also make money off of a few decent youth players.

The tv deal if it gets signed is what I expect from the short sighted money hungry guys who run this pish league. If it wasn’t for Rangers I wouldn’t ever be interested.

I would be curious to find out viewing figures for Rangers during a season, in comparison with other clubs, as well as the proportion of subscribers of sports channels in Scotland in percentage comparisons with other parts of the UK. It would be interesting to see how much, in proportion, is contributed, compared to the tv deals our clubs receive.

I would be curious to find out viewing figures for Rangers during a season, in comparison with other clubs, as well as the proportion of subscribers of sports channels in Scotland in percentage comparisons with other parts of the UK. It would be interesting to see how much, in proportion, is contributed, compared tv deals our clubs receive.
The number would go up if we could subscribe to the club channel for games rather than have to fork out £30pm we’ll hardly watch. Either that or find a stream elsewhere.

Who enforces it anyway? Is it a nuts law or is it one of those “you can’t do that because we said so” things?
The National Association and maybe the League which UEFA back them on it via Article 48 however the clubs can ask for it to be removed

The didnt even show all their games last season. Also take last weekend, the beggars away to Ross County wasnt on tv. I dont give a fuk about them, but it will happen to us as well.
Why would it be, it was a Saturday 3pm kick off?

I agree they should use all their games, even have two on at the same time with one on a different channel or red button, but it was the opening weekend of the EPL and they had a packed schedule all day Saturday and Sunday, so they were right to go with the Edinburgh derby at the best offering from the SPFL.

Back