New TV deal

I don't blame Sky for trying to get the rights for a pittance.
With our allocation being cut at many grounds there will be half full stadiums for a lot of the games, add in plastic pitches, ultra defensive tactics and the product just looks crap.

The number would go up if we could subscribe to the club channel for games rather than have to fork out £30pm we’ll hardly watch. Either that or find a stream elsewhere.
There’s nothing stopping rangers bidding for the rights and selling our games

So basically we are accepting £29 million which is probably half of what an English premiership club gets as a parachute payment when relegated. Our club got to a European final and title winners have automatic entry to C/L for the first time in years. Massive underselling of our game by Doncaster. How is this man unsackable. In any other business he would be told to clear his desk for the mistakes he has made.

so looked at the numbers again

we pay £300m and only recieve around 10%

Sky make £8.1B from england and pay them 50%

our deal is comparably shite

a better number would be over £100m
Aye like I said earlier, I've got zero figures or facts to back it up but I know it's true that we're being shafted by our fairly unique position in world football in the UK. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch English games and it's probably a factor in why I hand over £50 a month (which was a conservative estimate for what everyone else pays) as well. If anyone is actually knowledgeable and can weigh in, it'd be good. :D

I don't blame Sky for trying to get the rights for a pittance.
With our allocation being cut at many grounds there will be half full stadiums for a lot of the games, add in plastic pitches, ultra defensive tactics and the product just looks crap.
You are right, but I do blame Sky for not giving a shit about Scottish football. With their huge wealth, if they said, let's get behind Scottish football, give it a good deal and market it well, they would end up with something they could get decent viewing figures, they could even stipulate grass pitches to remove that farce .Give us a decent deal for say 10 years so they see the payback, to bring Scottish football forward, but as I say they don't care, give the Jocks a few scraps, that'll keep them happy, utter scumbags.

You are right, but I do blame Sky for not giving a shit about Scottish football. With their huge wealth, if they said, let's get behind Scottish football, give it a good deal and market it well, they would end up with something they could get decent viewing figures, they could even stipulate grass pitches to remove that farce .Give us a decent deal for say 10 years so they see the payback, to bring Scottish football forward, but as I say they don't care, give the Jocks a few scraps, that'll keep them happy, utter scumbags.

It would be interesting to see if there are/were any other offers on the table.
I don't have any faith in the negotiating skills of Doncaster and Co

That’s a great shout, would love to see how the rest take that.
It’s not about how the rest would take it, there’s nothing to stop rangers or celtic bidding for it and if they are the highest bidder then they would own the rights.

It would be interesting to see if there are/were any other offers on the table.
I don't have any faith in the negotiating skills of Doncaster and Co
i don’t have any faith in them either but at the end of the day if the were massively undersold other bidders would enter the market.

I have no doubt we’d get a far better deal with even semi-competent individuals running our game.

However, it is quite hard to say we should be competing with countries of a similar size to us, such as Holland, while our 4th best team is getting humped 7-0 against Holland’s 5th best team.

Sky sports is available through Now TV for £30 pm
Some people on legacy contracts will be paying more, some people on great deals will be paying less. I was trying to guess at a half-accurate figure that might represent how much we're paying versus how little we're getting back in return. As I also said above, it's hard to quantify that when most of us will also watch English games and justify our subscriptions for having both.

Sackable offence if true.

This guy had done nothing for our game. Even this year where Sky withdrew the temporary concession for clubs to sell home games to UK subscribers. What did Doncaster do to source some sort of alternative funding means for the member clubs he represents? Absolutely %^*& all.

While we are run by fuckwits you have to ask the draw of Scottish football. Fulham just promoted run liverpool close , a team that’s top five in the world. Four minutes into our game against Kilmarnock and they are wasting time. If I wasn’t a gers fan I wouldn’t want to watch at least half our games as they are chronic entertainment.

I have never understood why the league dose not just do it’s own channel even hire some of the people from BT/Premier sports. I’m no economist but I’d imagine the money in advertising rights alone would probably be worth more than what sky are offering add in the subscription costs and it should be a no brainier. Also we know from covid all our clubs have the technology to broadcast live matches online without the need for a sky dish so surely this would make it much easier than the failed spl tv some years back.

Could also offer much more coverage and interviews phone ins through the week when games aren’t on so value for money for subscribers and more advertising revenue.

Crist you can probably make more on YouTube these days lol

Couple of points here.

I think it is pretty clear that English companies are never giving money to Scottish teams.

I'm also guessing the whole uncertainty over what the mad nationalists will do come 2023 could mean any deal becomes null and void.

On a positive, the PPV stuff could be huge for ourselves and them, potentially millions if the fine print isn't too restrictive.

It’s a shit deal, but who the hell wants to watch Scottish football outside of us and them??

They show SPFL and EFL on Sky Sports Football simulcast on Main Event sharing these timeslot at weekend

Sat 12.30pm
Sun 12 noon

They are fitted into their schedule

Saturday was EFL

Sunday was SPFL but they could shown Ross County v Celtic after the Edinburgh derby just it wouldn't been on Main Event due to the EPL playing

Their have enough games to show all Rangers and Celtic aways and still show some others as well
So you agree they don't give a hoot about Scottish Football?

This bit of the deal sounds like a step forward. The rest is shit, apart from maybe the minimum limit of 42 games they must achieve.

On the table for Scottish clubs as an added incentive is scope to sell up to five of their home matches each season on a pay-per-view basis, but only if the fixture has not been chosen for live Sky broadcast and does not – pending special dispensation – fall in the UK blackout window between 2.45pm and 5.15pm on a Saturday.
That’s not as good news as first thought.
It would mean us, in agreement with away side, moving a Saturday 3:00 to another slot.
Or, a midweek game not chosen for sky looks best bet.
cheers Vb.

If it was worth more we would get more
Simple economics. We don't get a better deal because nobody wants to pay us the money.

Setanta went bust trying to sell Scottish football. BT don't want it. I honestly think Sky only buy it out of a sense of obligation.

Also factor in the fact we have pissed sky off on a couple of occasions, turning them down for setanta, the covid farce and what not. Remember we even offered them the league sponsorship for free and they turned it down.

Norwegian Eliteserien = £60m per year.

If you think that League is twice the quality of the Scottish Premiership then I respect your right to an opinion, but you're wrong.
Do you know how much they pay in subscriptions for that mate?

(I know that there's a higher cost of living in Norway than here, but I would expect that to be offset by the lower amount of subscribers.)

Our TV revenues are an international embarrassment and definitely hold us back financially, we need ALL the games live ALL THE TIME!

If we did wake up and do that, even a specky hot dog like Dungcaster could double or even treble our annual revenues? I mean surely to God £100M pa would be an easily attainable target, especially if there are 500,000 subscriptions* for Sky Sports up here.

*Just going on what I've read here, I'd love to know the actual 100% accurate amounts.

There's simply no need for a middle man like sky anymore.

We used to need sky for their broadcast infrastructure. We don't anymore.

It's hard to figure how it would work but all clubs streaming all of their games, direct to punters is coming. Its too good a product not to.

Maybe rangers and celtic will have to guarantee a match fee for the Diddy teams, that will subsidise their channels over a full season but I'm sure mist people would prefer being able to watch every game on rangers tv. Never having to listen to roasters like crags again. It'd be even better for the wee teams. They'd be able to watch every game in the way we get to see most away games on TV.

We could have a service or app that lets pubs etc buy one off games and maybe a central spfl channel that covers news etc/the biggest games that every club channel subscribers gets access to.

I'm fairly certain we'd sell 50,000 subscriptions at £30/month and I'm sure hearts/hibs/Aberdeen etc would be able to support their own channels.

The biggest issue is we have no media company in Scotland. We have English sport which overshadows our own. No other country in the world shows more foreign games than they do domestic.

Simple economics. We don't get a better deal because nobody wants to pay us the money.

Setanta went bust trying to sell Scottish football. BT don't want it. I honestly think Sky only buy it out of a sense of obligation.

Also factor in the fact we have pissed sky off on a couple of occasions, turning them down for setanta, the covid farce and what not. Remember we even offered them the league sponsorship for free and they turned it down.
Correct. How many people take out a sky contract to get access to Scottish football, not many. How many would cancel a sky contract if they didn’t have Scottish football, not many

I have no doubt we’d get a far better deal with even semi-competent individuals running our game.

However, it is quite hard to say we should be competing with countries of a similar size to us, such as Holland, while our 4th best team is getting humped 7-0 against Holland’s 5th best team.
Whilst that doesn’t help it comes down to one thing. How many people subscribe to sky because they have Scottish football on?

Cant wait to hear the turd polishing about how its a good thing, we are getting even less money per game, than the stinking deal weve got now.

We dont deserve this shite, but the other clubs that have let Doncaster away with repeated gross incompetence, deserve everything they get.

What makes this even worse is that a Scottish team has just reached a European Competition final.

If the SPFL can't use that fact to generate a larger financial interest in our game then we are truly f****d.

:mad: :mad:

The clubs need to break away from the current set up. Negotiate our own TV deal and present it to the members.

Setanta didn't go bust trying to sell Scottish football, they went over the top on EPL rights and it cost them. They simply couldn't sustain the payments because, unlike Sky, they can't use general satellite/cable customers to subsidise their sport deals.

BT is probably more to do with them going through a takeover at the time and them wanting to keep CL rights which is the only reason people subscribe to BT.

I don't think it has as much to do with pissing off Sky, I just think, like you do here have people in charge who have no interest in giving money to a country that is not their own. I know the same would apply here if roles were reversed.

How the %^*& Sky can justify that when they give the English lower leagues, which have lower viewer figures than the SPFL, £119m a season is fucking beyond me.

Looking at our league we are lucky anybody wants it and if they do they certainly wont pay much for it.
Another way to look at this is the less SKY pay the less our subscription to SKY will be.
As it is the cost of a SKY subscription is based on EFL and Cricket for which they pay huge sums as that is where they get their viewers. IF it was not for the old firm games I doubt they would be interested in the our league.

Back