New TV deal

I don't blame Sky in the slightest, the SPFL don't have the nous to engage with anyone else therefore Sky will throw some crumbs our way.
We all know Doncaster and the SPFL are useless, but there is a point where you have to say that Sky are taking the piss and have zero interest in bettering any sport on these isles that isn't English based.

I’ve no doubt we (Rangers) will say something against this and the rest in the country will have digs at us saying we are putting there income at risk.

SPFL/SFA need a total clear out and a new strategy as the current situation is an absolute shambles.

What happened to the Deloitte review that was supposed to move Scottish football forward and identify new revenue sources etc. was it ever published ?

The biggest issue is we have no media company in Scotland. We have English sport which overshadows our own. No other country in the world shows more foreign games than they do domestic.
Interesting post. Quite a lot there to reflect on when we think about where we are, and why.

So essentially my bill for Sky Sports for a month if there’s 2 old firm games will be £50?

You can get IPTV for a whole year for that. Apparently.

What happened to the Deloitte review that was supposed to move Scottish football forward and identify new revenue sources etc. was it ever published ?
The most significant revenue source in football is TV, in terms of the effect this has either as a positive or negative. Anything that doesn't look to that is a waste of time.

We all know Doncaster and the SPFL are useless, but there is a point where you have to say that Sky are taking the piss and have zero interest in bettering any sport on these isles that isn't English based.
Not sure I agree.

First and foremost, Sky will say they're looking after their customers.
If they can provide more product for marginal increase to them, and potentially none to the paying customer, they'll snap it up

Just so I can get my head around this

We are only guaranteed to see minimum 42 games but selling away exclusive coverage for 60 games.

We are getting an increase which is basically not far off inflation

We are locking ourselves into a 5 year deal

We are trying to make out that after sky select rangers v celtic or whoever that people are going to pay what 14.99 for hibs v st Johnstone?

Why exclusive? Why 5 years? Why so little? Why so few games minimum? Why ppv?

We should offer the services of Bisgrove on a consultancy basis
Why Doncaster is a moron septic living prick 400k a year wtf who votes him in

I predict next to no one will pay an SPL subscription. I couldn’t watch 10 minutes of another Scottish game if you forced me and IPTV is cheap and everywhere.

We need politicians to start being serious about levelling up other parts of the UK by forcing SKY and other broadcasters to pay Scotland proportionate deals.

If not I’d go the ITV model and give it all away for free on any medium that will have us but load to the gunnels with adverts. At least it might grow that way.

So basically we are accepting £29 million which is probably half of what an English premiership club gets as a parachute payment when relegated. Our club got to a European final and title winners have automatic entry to C/L for the first time in years. Massive underselling of our game by Doncaster. How is this man unsackable. In any other business he would be told to clear his desk for the mistakes he has made.

A relegated team from the EPL is given around 140mil as a parachute payment.

The new Sky TV deal is an utter joke. We’re being fleeced by Sky as they know that Doncaster and his pals are utterly incompetent and amateurs when it comes to TV rights negotiations and the marketing of our game in general. No doubt we’ll hear the likes of Hugh Keevins and Mark Guidi waxing lyrical pish about the new TV deal saying it’s the biggest in the history of Scottish football.

Doncaster will say this is a brilliant deal, how much in side deals and bonuses will he pocket for this?

Our current contract is just newly signed, the corrupt bastards are needing an extension to secure bank loans to keep their corrupt little 19th Century Terrorist cabal going. These bastards will eventually bankrupt themselves, the quicker the better for all of Scottish football.

Could we look at alternative offers from the likes of BT Sport, Premier Sport, DAZN, Amazon Prime, YouTube, ITV, BBC or an independent, web based, SPFL TV platform? Nah, we got our hands burned with Setanta, so let's just accept whatever offer Sky lowball us with

Calling them self serving dinosaurs doesn't go far enough.

In Sky’s eyes they are paying around £7.5 million for each Old Firm game, and are obliged to take on the baggage of the other 10 teams in the Premiership.

They didn’t even broadcast their full allowance of games last season due to their indifference.

Sky could lose that money down the back of the couch and not worry about it.
A pittance compared to the rest of Europe.
Embarrassing but unsurprising from Doncaster and his "team".

In Sky’s eyes they are paying around £7.5 million for each Old Firm game, and are obliged to take on the baggage of the other 10 teams in the Premiership.

They didn’t even broadcast their full allowance of games last season due to their indifference.
Exactly and that is precisely why we have never implemented a bigger top tier playing each other twice. The TV deal would collapse.

It's pitiful. The output from Sky improved slightly in the last few years but it is still nothing compared to Super Sunday/MNF etc.

There's no reason that our game shouldn't be available more widely as well. Highlights are condensed to a few minutes. Full replays or proper extended highlights should be on YT or a SPFL site.

That's before you even talk about the revenue from selling the rights.

Exactly and that is precisely why we have never implemented a bigger top tier playing each other twice. The TV deal would collapse.
And if it 'collapsed' would it really be much worse than it is currently? The impact on what clubs receive would be negligible.

With a 3 or 4 horse race (made possibly by challenger clubs not dropping 24 points a season to Rangers and Celtic) the product would be much more exciting all round and still command the same fees. The SPFL just needs to have the balls to tell Sky pay up or no Old Firm for you.

There's simply no need for a middle man like sky anymore.

We used to need sky for their broadcast infrastructure. We don't anymore.

It's hard to figure how it would work but all clubs streaming all of their games, direct to punters is coming. Its too good a product not to.

Maybe rangers and celtic will have to guarantee a match fee for the Diddy teams, that will subsidise their channels over a full season but I'm sure mist people would prefer being able to watch every game on rangers tv. Never having to listen to roasters like crags again. It'd be even better for the wee teams. They'd be able to watch every game in the way we get to see most away games on TV.

We could have a service or app that lets pubs etc buy one off games and maybe a central spfl channel that covers news etc/the biggest games that every club channel subscribers gets access to.

I'm fairly certain we'd sell 50,000 subscriptions at £30/month and I'm sure hearts/hibs/Aberdeen etc would be able to support their own channels.

Pipe dream. There must be hundreds of thousands of households in Scotland paying £50 or £60 a year for IPTV to watch every channel going.

The horse has bolted. No one is paying £30 a month for Scottish football over and above that or their generic SKY, BT, Virgin subscription.

I predict next to no one will pay an SPL subscription. I couldn’t watch 10 minutes of another Scottish game if you forced me and IPTV is cheap and everywhere.

We need politicians to start being serious about levelling up other parts of the UK by forcing SKY and other broadcasters to pay Scotland proportionate deals.

If not I’d go the ITV model and give it all away for free on any medium that will have us but load to the gunnels with adverts. At least it might grow that way.
Good post, this is a business sector, just like any other in the UK, and the disproportion in wealth is something that would be unacceptable in any other sector. On the park it's a sport, but it's not just on the park when it comes to this.

Absolute sick of the pricks running the game in this country. Is there no way we can get these charlatans removed?
We need to remove ourselves from Scottish football.

Keeping an eye on that current court case that could change everything for us.

We need to remove ourselves from Scottish football.

Keeping an eye on that current court case that could change everything for us.
We can't hang around for a long reach, one day, that probably won't come to pass; that's a completely different issue.

Pipe dream. There must be hundreds of thousands of households in Scotland paying £50 or £60 a year for IPTV to watch every channel going.

The horse has bolted. No one is paying £30 a month for Scottish football over and above that or their generic SKY, BT, Virgin subscription.
i wonder how many people complaining about the deal watch illegal streams…..

Not really, we have the SPFL equivalent of Martin Bain doing the negotiating.
There’s no doubt they are clowns but anyone who thinks they haven’t taken outside advice on the value of the product is niaive. How much do you think it’s worth and if it’s so undervalued why aren’t others bidding?

If the spfl has a tv channel and it got 100k subscribers at say 30 quid a month. That’s already 36 million befire advertising

We should start the Scottish season a month early, a) would get more viewers as nothing else on b) would prepare teams for qualifiers much better.

We have to get rid of the spfl and create an spl again to keep the money and decisions with the top clubs

We need to work with sky to develop the product, the more money that goes in, the better the football/package. Get it to a standard where it's a true feeder for top leagues where players are getting European experience and in a competitive league ( not just OF)

Sorry did I just read that, you are saying we should get politicians to force sky to pay more than what the contract is worth?

It would help to sell the game if clubs were told you have to sell all tickets available to your support or make them available to visiting fans. It’s embarrassing looking at stadiums with two or three stands that are close to empty.

Sorry did I just read that, you are saying we should get politicians to force sky to pay more than what the contract is worth?

Worse than that is he says he would continue to stream illegally games even though the SPFL clubs as a whole would have provided a service that will directly benefit everyone in Scottish football including ourselves.

Scottish football's TV deal is about two teams only.

Screening away games for our games (and theirs) does nothing to enhance the image of the game. Crappy little half-empty grounds, poor camera angles, plastic pitches, away fans outnumbering home fans. How does that showcase in a good light?

It's all done just to appease the rest of the teams. The reality is Sky care only for four games a year.

Rangers and the mhanks would be better off insisting on owning their own TV rights. Only then will they reap the real value.

The first big step is to remove the cap on showing games at Ibrox/parkhead. If they could show the old firm 2 games every week the value would likely shoot up

I know Scottish football is shit but that is a complete insult to our game especially when English clubs are getting well over 100 million each.
Surely the football authorities should be making more of an effort to get a good deal also Snp should do something worthwhile and try and do something good for Scotland for a change.
Just shocking!!!!

Back