MOTM Poll Rangers v PSV Eindhoven - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Watched their game against Ajax and the highlights from Monaco games and Go Ahead Eagles at the weekend. There's absolutely no doubt the majority of their goals come from cross balls from their wingers/full backs. 4 of their 5 goals at the weekend came from this.

De Jong is a huge threat in the air and they tend to work it wide and get the ball across goal at every opportunity, a bit like we do. It's not just De Jong though, they get lots of late runs into the box from the like of Til, Veerman and Simons.

Defensively they have a lot of deficiencies, their centre backs are not great ball winners and can get dragged out of position. Full backs often leave big gaps from roaming forward, and unlike us the centre mids don't tend to shuffle across to cover them.

For me, if we play our usual high intensity Ibrox European night way we're going to cause them lots of problems and probably restrict them to quick counter attacks. So important that Barisic and Tav along with the wide players limit the number of crosses coming into the box as defending them is probably our biggest weakness and their biggest strength.

Anyway, 3-1 the Rangers :D

Would appear the game is being shown on bein sports 3 for any bears over Asia way. Luckily its one of the channels we pick up. So alarm set for 3am.

McLaughlin
Tav Goldson Davies Barisic
Lundstram
Matondo Tillman Lawrence Kent
Morelos

Go for their throats and win please Rangers.

Many will have missed it but a poster with a decent record has said in the Davies/Sands thread that Sands starts (no surprise) and that Steven Davis starts (big surprise).

That will screw over virtually every suggested lineup in this thread LOL.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

Lundstram
Davis

Tillman
Lawrence
Kent

Colak

Last edited:
Many will have missed it but a poster with a decent record has said in the Davies/Sands thread that Sands starts (no surprise) and that Steven Davis starts (big surprise).

Most def puts the cats amongst the pigeons with what the line up/formation is going to be now. Davis has bundles of experience in these games. maybe looking a calm head and for someone to put their foot on the ball and control it

Most def puts the cats amongst the pigeons with what the line up/formation is going to be now. Davis has bundles of experience in these games. maybe looking a calm head and for someone to put their foot on the ball and control it
If he's on his game he brings a load of benefits, just as you describe. I worry, a little, about PSV having the pace to drag him about though.

If he's on his game he brings a load of benefits, just as you describe. I worry, a little, about PSV having the pace to drag him about though.
In my honest opinion i would be really surprised to see him start considering he's only featured against Kilmarnock. I would prefer in such a high intense game someone with more match sharpness. I personally think it will be Jack as Kamara only had 18mins of football in 3 games

In my honest opinion i would be really surprised to see him start considering he's only featured against Kilmarnock. I would prefer in such a high intense game someone with more match sharpness. I personally think it will be Jack as Kamara only had 18mins of football in 3 games
Info has come from @Hatchet in another thread, and his info is normally pretty good. No guarantees, of course, but it's a surprise if accurate.

Very nervous but also very excited about the game tonight.

PSV are no mugs and will be top opposition and this will be totally different to the experiences we had last season.

We look like we are clicking at the right time, but we need to be on our toes from the very first minute because any slips up will see PSV take full advantage of it.

I’ve got every faith that we can use the advantage of home leg first and win this match, but we should be wary of a team that, although very much on our level, will be very dangerous and pacy. We rode out any pressure early doors and we win this match, I’m going with a nice 3-1 victory to give us a chance to defend it over in Eindhoven.

Really don't like how confident I feel about this tie.

Last season I started to wear my black 2008 away top - and some way through the europa I realised that we hadn't lost a game when I wore it, (apart from the penalties final).

Tonight i'll do the same - and i'm also feeling confident, mind you, same as i was last tuesday.

Best I’ve ever seen is play in Europe that night
It's up there with Dortmund away 22, Parma at home 99, Bayern away 99 as the best. That 99 era was us at our peak in terms of being a quality European side. This current side has hit the height at least once, which is why I'm confident tonight. Probably kiss of death though!

Watched their game against Ajax and the highlights from Monaco games and Go Ahead Eagles at the weekend. There's absolutely no doubt the majority of their goals come from cross balls from their wingers/full backs. 4 of their 5 goals at the weekend came from this.

De Jong is a huge threat in the air and they tend to work it wide and get the ball across goal at every opportunity, a bit like we do. It's not just De Jong though, they get lots of late runs into the box from the like of Til, Veerman and Simons.

Defensively they have a lot of deficiencies, their centre backs are not great ball winners and can get dragged out of position. Full backs often leave big gaps from roaming forward, and unlike us the centre mids don't tend to shuffle across to cover them.

For me, if we play our usual high intensity Ibrox European night way we're going to cause them lots of problems and probably restrict them to quick counter attacks. So important that Barisic and Tav along with the wide players limit the number of crosses coming into the box as defending them is probably our biggest weakness and their biggest strength.

Anyway, 3-1 the Rangers :D
great post as i have not seen PSV for years, so knew nothing about them. feel quite confident about tonight now, so if it doesnt go well- its your fault :D
I will go 2-0 for us

How much difference do we think the 1st leg at home will make? Will we maybe start a bit slower as we are not looking to get a goal or two back/
I think we need to treat this like we are 2-0 down from the 1st leg again and really go after them from KO.

How much difference do we think the 1st leg at home will make? Will we maybe start a bit slower as we are not looking to get a goal or two back/
I think we need to treat this like we are 2-0 down from the 1st leg again and really go after them from KO.
I think if we go gung-ho they pick us off on the break. PSV are a very good team, with their main strengths in midfield and up front. Not sure we will want the game to be too open.

We need a two goal lead going into the away leg I'd say.

Wonder if Morelos will be ready tonight and if Kent will be fit.

Hopefully we see this:

Lundstram - Kamara
Tillman - Lawrence - Kent
Morelos

I'm pretty nervous about it. If we don't win by 2 clear goals then it could get messy in the return leg.

McLaughlin

Tav
Goldson
Sands
Barisic

Lundstram
Davis

Tillman
Lawrence
Kent

Colak
Gives the opposition something to think about rather than us setting up too
Negative to start with.

We really need to try get some daylight in this tie. I fear this is a step too far however this time as they are a very good side.

Our support at Ibrox tonight will lift the players.
Going for 2-0 Rangers.
Anything better will be accepted.

This is our big chance tonight, imo, and we must take it. Just try and rack up as many goals as we can. No over cautious nonsense.

Heads allover the place with this game, i think both teams will score tonight. Hopefully we go over there 2-1 or 3-1

If Jack was going to play tonight, I doubt he'd have played the 90 on Saturday like he did - so that certainly gives the rumours of Davis starting some credibility.

That being said, Kamara would be the other obvious player in that role.

McGlaughlin, Tav, Goldson, Sands, Barisic, Davis, Lundstram, Lawrence, Tillman, Kent, Colak.

If Jack was going to play tonight, I doubt he'd have played the 90 on Saturday like he did - so that certainly gives the rumours of Davis starting some credibility.

That being said, Kamara would be the other obvious player in that role.

McGlaughlin, Tav, Goldson, Sands, Barisic, Davis, Lundstram, Lawrence, Tillman, Kent, Colak.
I really don't think Davis will play, not at the start anyway.

I think we need a healthy lead for the 2nd leg though, so need to go after them.
That's what the Dhims will do the first time they come up against a team in the CL group stages. And we will all sit back and laugh as they get picked-off and humped.

There's a fine line to be drawn. PSV are a very good team. As are we. This tie will be decided over 180 minutes, maybe more, not tonight. We don't need to be ultra-cautious - but nor do we need to throw caution to the wind.

Last edited:
Back