Club 1872 Blog – What We’ve Got Here Is, Failure To Communicate

As a businessman who modeled my businesses on Rangers fans are saying, you won't get more than you put in if the business is not making three years' profits unless it's a scam or devoted Rangers fans who bought our Club

We offered twice the book value for the Stadium Bar as we knew the potential of the site, but it has been hard graft to get it where it is today, we bought it in October and we went into Admin in February, spent four years down the Leagues and had no European games for about six years
IMO the reason the big Boys in Glasgow never bought it was because as a business it didn't add up but for a Rangers fan, it made perfect sense to me

And. again, IMO that's why our investors bought Rangers or I would have no doubt we would be a middle table team at best for the last few years
Robert don’t get me wrong here you took a chance and made a successful business I am all for people advancing themselves and being a success especially fellow Rangers fans, You have also made a good place for people to go which used to be a total run down shit hole with the entirely wrong leanings.

But your top you won’t get more than you put In is quite pertinent.

We have received a lot of money in the last 9 months and have had shit like the Champions league doesn’t make much money and we spent 3 million on the roof 7 years ago .

I have no love for Club 1872 even though I still pay my dues hoping that one day they will become what we need then to be.

One of the biggest issues in this is we are so badly fractured as a support we will never be able to have any decent type of fan ownership.

Really, do you think?
Now
There are two things I don't do, is ask about what's going on in the Club ( I doubt he would be privy to much ) apart from anything we have enough to discuss about our family business, in which he is a Director and Shareholder
The other thing is I never lie, which gets me into all sorts of bother
Anyway I could come onto FF and guys like you will tell me what's happening in the Club, as you seem to think you are the fountain of knowledge
To be honest, I will wait until the Club tells me in public what is happening, I have even listened to transfer rumours
I gave Rangers my season ticket money, I was under no obligation, same as my Champions league tickets
If you don't want to buy anything don't, really that simple
I should have said that I rarely see Greg he is that busy unless it's at the games
Ah so that’s certainly no conflict of interest Is it :)

I have no idea if you lie or not so I won’t comment on the second bit but I don’t believe for a second you don’t get fed tit bits.

As for what’s happening it’s plain to see in full view 45 million brought in by transfers and compo a run to the Europa league final, Champions League Qualification and sold out Champions League packages at 180 quid for quite a percentage of them.

Again we have had Robertson and Wilson , Wilson the last one telling us that no players needed to be sold but the ones that were sold the money would be reinvested which was a lie.

There are two things I don't do, is ask about what's going on in the Club ( I doubt he would be privy to much ) apart from anything we have enough to discuss about our family business, in which he is a Director and Shareholder
The other thing is I never lie, which gets me into all sorts of bother
Anyway I could come onto FF and guys like you will tell me what's happening in the Club, as you seem to think you are the fountain of knowledge
To be honest, I will wait until the Club tells me in public what is happening, I have even listened to transfer rumours
I gave Rangers my season ticket money, I was under no obligation, same as my Champions league tickets
If you don't want to buy anything don't, really that simple
I should have said that I rarely see Greg he is that busy unless it's at the games

I have no idea if you lie or not so I won’t comment on the second bit but I don’t believe for a second you don’t get fed tit bits.

As for what’s happening it’s plain to see in full view 45 million brought in by transfers and compo a run to the Europa league final, Champions League Qualification and sold out Champions League packages at 180 quid for quite a percentage of them.

Again we have had Robertson and Wilson , Wilson the last one telling us that no players needed to be sold but the ones that were sold the money would be reinvested which was a lie

Read the thread or are you incapable I’ve said I got it wrong about Bennet on several occasions so it’s not a lie but seeing it’s upsetting you so much I will go and edit my original post.

Better for both yeah Aribos release clause was 10 million and we got 6 upfront for him so In no way was it a lie.

If you look back you will see that Graeme Park had a big say In appointing Pedro as he was so impressed with his power point presentation.

King wanted McInnes then appointed Gerrard again facts.

I
King did want McInnes and offered him everything he wanted, to be told by an email from Aberdeen he was staying
King appointed Pedro he also said that the previous director of football first contacted Gerrard, I know for a fact that was a lie
King signed kent and Helander and left the Board to pay the 27m or so Debt
Saying my race is run, this has been well reported on here with people who are INK ( not my son lol )
We have a lot to be thankful to Dave King and I personally could not thank him enough but at the end of the day my loyalty will always go to the Club

Why does Robertson need to be good in front of a camera? He's a managing director, not a presenter.

Given that you know his name, we can evidence right away that David Graham isn't anonymous. He should be though. Again, he isn't there to be a spokesperson.

Indeed.

A Comms employee should create the narrative in the background; a Comms employee shouldn’t be the story.

I’ve never seen someone in a role of this nature be so publicly visible.

It’s almost as if he has no idea as to what a Comms role normally entails.

Now

Again we have had Robertson and Wilson , Wilson the last one telling us that no players needed to be sold but the ones that were sold the money would be reinvested which was a lie.
I have no idea who makes what decision in the Club and I doubt you have as well.
Can you give me a breakdown of how much money the Club has received so far, not the fees but the money actually received? What percentage of the CL tickets were £180?

King did want McInnes and offered him everything he wanted, to be told by an email from Aberdeen he was staying
King appointed Pedro he also said that the previous director of football first contacted Gerrard, I know for a fact that was a lie
King signed kent and Helander and left the Board to pay the 27m or so Debt
Saying my race is run, this has been well reported on here with people who are INK ( not my son lol )
We have a lot to be thankful to Dave King and I personally could not thank him enough but at the end of the day my loyalty will always go to the Club

Everything he wanted?

Including paying off his loan to Aberdeen that, shall we say, his wife didn’t know about?

There’s one reason and one reason only he didn’t become our manager ;)

Again we have had Robertson and Wilson , Wilson the last one telling us that no players needed to be sold but the ones that were sold the money would be reinvested which was a lie
Where is the conflict of interest?

Indeed.

A Comms employee should create the narrative in the background; a Comms employee shouldn’t be the story.

There's two parts to that though - when he was appointed, the SMSM made him the story. Was that entirely of their own volition or were they encouraged by certain folk loyal to King who coveted the role? Not for me to guess.

He hasn't done himself any favours by making himself visible since then though.

There's two parts to that though - when he was appointed, the SMSM made him the story. Was that entirely of their own volition or were they encouraged by certain folk loyal to King who coveted the role? Not for me to guess.

He hasn't done himself any favours by making himself visible since then though.
I actually thought the PR guy was the one that should be releasing the statements.

Did Robertson or Wilson give a timeframe for the reinvestment?

Did they say it would be in the same or the next window, or did they simply say that it would be reinvested?

Last edited:
I actually thought the PR guy was the one that should be releasing the statements.
They should, however (and I don't know this so will happily admit that it may be wrong), would it not usually just be attributed to the company? Is it the media that have kept his name in the spotlight (along with C1872, Dave King and their merry band of agitators)?

I'm intrigued, cause I just searched Rangers PR and got DG's name back. For parity, I searched for the other lot's PR and found no name. Also searched them and Comms director, and again no name. Someone is keeping DG's name front and centre, and if not him then whom, and why?

Serious question - were club 1872 right all along and all is forgiven?

Out of the loop fans like me need to know who to trust.

[/QUOTE]

Did they say it would be in the same or the next window, or did they simply say that it would be reinvested?

Did they say it would also be reinvested fully in transfer fees?

They should, however (and I don't know this so will happily admit that it may be wrong), would it not usually just be attributed to the company? Is it the media that have kept his name in the spotlight (along with C1872, Dave King and their merry band of agitators)?

I'm intrigued, cause I just searched Rangers PR and got DG's name back. For parity, I searched for the other lot's PR and found no name. Also searched them and Comms director, and again no name. Someone is keeping DG's name front and centre, and if not him then whom, and why?
I have no idea, I only have an interest in the money side of things lol

“pipe down, you just don’t understand"

Aye ok.

I'll put this in layman's terms, though.

We"ve been f---ed up the arse before and I sincerely hope to hell we don't let it happen again.

As things stand, I'm perplex to say the least, like with so many others.

Goodness, haven"t got clue in relation to which direction our board is taking us and getting dysfunctional sound bites, only magnitudes our perception that our currant custodians are way out of their depth..........

To say the least.

Club1872 is just as dysfunctional, so where do we go from here?

Extra question re any sales being reinvested:

Can anyone point me to an interview where anyone says that 100% of fees received will be spent on new players?

The interviews I've found say that if we accept bids we will be reinvesting in the team, not we'll be reinvesting 100% (or any concrete amount) in the team.

Is it that some folk have inferred their own meaning and are now using that as fact?

Rangers – What we’ve got here is, failure to communicate​

Contributor Blog

It would be fair to say that Rangers supporters have been clamouring to hear something from the custodians of our club following an underwhelming start to the season and major question marks over their ambition to build on the success of ’55’ and a Europa League Final. So it was with some interest that I noticed what appeared to be an in depth interview with Vice Chairman, John Bennett appear on Facebook.

I have enjoyed hearing from Mr Bennett on previous occasions. He has spoken fairly well at AGMs and it is apparent that he is one of the few individuals at Rangers who can sound coherent on camera.

Things did not start well, presumably through no fault of Mr Bennett. In his wisdom, Communications ‘Chief’ David Graham decided to release the interview behind a paywall. This was instantly irritating to supporters who feel they are already being squeezed for every penny by the club they love. It took two hours to remedy this ridiculous gaffe and release the interview on YouTube. Unfortunately, things did not improve once the interview got under way.

Bennett’s delivery, which previously has seemed precise and confident took on a patronising tone almost immediately. His nods to social media jokes about Edmiston House and finances betrayed a board which is clearly very sensitive to even the most mild criticism but has absolutely no idea how to deal with it. Perhaps this is symptomatic of custodians who have grown more and more out of touch with the supporters of the club. Perhaps it is just that not even Bennett was convinced by his 33 minute monologue which said virtually nothing.

I have seldom heard someone talk for so long without a single, pertinent piece of information being imparted to the listener. If I had to sum it up, the overall message seemed to be “pipe down, you just don’t understand, we’ve got this”.

It is arguable whether an organisation has ever shot itself in the foot in terms of public relations quite like Rangers over the past two years. In the process of winning a historic 55th title and with a huge name in the management hot-seat we managed to somehow withdraw into ourselves to the point that supporters are sceptical of almost every utterance from the club – with good reason.

RTV interviewers are never going to ask good questions of a Vice Chairman – particularly one under pressure. The puff piece nature of the interview did not serve Mr Bennett well. He is clearly a very capable man and should be able to submit himself to proper questioning. Perhaps if he had then we would have learned something worthwhile. Fan media outlets, who themselves have had issues adjusting to their open access to Ibrox and regularly have to defend themselves against allegations of being too soft on the club, have apparently been asking for some time to sit down with the Rangers hierarchy. The choice of RTV was cowardly and smacked of a lack of confidence in the message – perhaps with some justification as there didn’t seem to be one.

The Stewart Robertson interview which followed, with Jonny McFarlane, the ex Daily Record videographer and now ‘Rangers Review’ Editor, also betrayed both the schizophrenic nature of the club’s communications policy and the refusal to submit to any kind of competent questioning. McFarlane, just a couple of days previously on his own podcast had declared himself completely unable to properly scrutinise Rangers’ finances. Who better then for Rangers Communications Director, David Graham to choose to sit down for an exclusive interview with the Rangers MD on…the club’s finances?

The Rangers Review is owned by The Herald. It is not fan media but rather a mainstream media outlet which passes itself off as fan media. On the one hand therefore we have official fan media partners of the club telling us the MSM can’t be trusted whilst on the other, David Graham hands a plum interview to the Herald newspaper. Without dwelling on McFarlane’s admission of financial and business illiteracy, that is an odd choice. They are clearly seen by Graham as an unstintingly friendly outlet who refuse to challenge the club when even official fan media partners are raising concerns.

In any case, the interviews with Robertson were so badly received that they appear to have been aborted half way through a two day release. On Wednesday, McFarlane announced that the 3 part interview with Robertson that day would be followed on Thursday with more from him on “recruitment, signings and why Rangers did their business the way they did in the transfer market.” As of today, Friday, none of that content has appeared and the tweets referencing it have been deleted by the ever accommodating McFarlane.

Support Club 1872

All in all it builds a picture of a Rangers Board who are either unwilling or unable to submit themselves to real scrutiny. As a Club 1872 member I was extremely disquieted by the Club 1872 Board’s statement earlier in the year which was so scathing of the Rangers Executive Team but it seems they have been proven to be correct. There is a clear level of contempt for supporters.

I have some sympathy with Mr Bennett. A Vice Chairman should not have to take on the responsibilities of Chairman simply because the man holding that position shirks them on such a regular basis. Douglas Park is conspicuous in his absence not only from these type of set piece interviews but also at AGMs where he has scarcely been heard from.

I also have some sympathy with Mr Bennett that the Managing Director of Rangers, who last year received a handsome sum of over £450k for his contribution, is unable to sit in front of a camera and appear in any way convincing. In Mr Bennett’s position, you would also expect your Communications Director to have the knowledge and awareness to spike a 33 minute interview which says nothing and from which the main takeaway is that the Vice Chairman of Rangers thinks being beaten 3-0 at home to the third seed in your Champions League group is a “real Rangers performance”.

However, then I remember that Mr Bennett sits as Vice Chair of the Rangers Board that employed David Graham, who as far as anyone can tell had no prior experience of either PR or business in general. He sits as Vice Chair of a board which appears happy to have a Chairman who won’t communicate with supporters. A Chairman who appears determined to ignore not only Club 1872, a major shareholder representing thousands of Rangers fans, but also the Rangers Supporters Association which represents over 100 Rangers Supporters Clubs. He also sits as Vice Chair of a board who wants supporters to believe they are striving for “best in class” but employ a Managing Director who can’t even deliver a tame interview without it having to be pulled halfway through.

So perhaps I shouldn’t feel sorry for John Bennett and should instead feel sorry for myself and my fellow supporters who have had to put up with two years and counting of this failure to communicate.

Yogi Bear

Absolutely bang on the money for me.
All sorts of bias in this. I can't take any of it seriously.

Something i scratch my head at is there is a thread on this forum with a pretty in depth analysis from Kieran Maguire on where the money has been spent and has been received.

We dont have the stockpiles of cash that some people seem to think we have.

If people bothered to watch it then maybe we wouldnt have the millionth mind numbing thread on where the money is.

Maybe they have seen it and have other agendas though.......

As for communication....why on earth would the club reveal how much money they have available to spend, what their strategies are or their wage structures?

Im sorry if fans find it frustrating to not have every detail of the club clarified for them, but the truth is we arent privvy to that information.

Id love to know more but im happier knowing that our enemies know less

Something i scratch my head at is there is a thread on this forum with a pretty in depth analysis from Kieran Maguire on where the money has been spent and has been received.

If people bothered to watch it then maybe we wouldnt have the millionth mind numbing thread on where the money is.

As for communication....why on earth would the club reveal how much money they have available to spend, what their strategies are or their wage structures?

Im sorry if fans find it frustrating to not have every detail of the club clarified for them, but the truth is we arent privvy to that information.

Nor should we be privy to that information

That was a very good piece from Maguire. Didn't fit the current 'mood' on here though so didn't generate the same level of interest and involvement from those simply seeking to 'vent' at the Board because they didn't get their deadline day signing.

Got to laugh….

Posters come on and say:

“Spot on”
“Good blog/article”
“An accurate reflection”

Then it gets announced it’s come from c1872, then all of a sudden:

“It’s all pïsh”
“Don’t trust them or their lies”

:))

Maguire lays things out in nice simple terms but it just does not fit certain agendas. Sadly for whatever reason c1872 dance to their masters tune and take every opportunity to sow division.

It was good to be fair.

Very good. (Assuming the info is accurate about not a case of being economical with the truth - like Robertson has been when he said the CL and EL is much of a muchness in terms of financial return)

You’ve got to wonder that Maguire had a helluva lot on info on what we’ve spent money on, what our “forecast” revenue was from EL campaigns, CL participation, players sales etc.
Specific details that you would assume only people within the club would know…..

It was good to be fair.

Very good. (Assuming the info is accurate about not a case of being economical with the truth - like Robertson has been when he said the CL and EL is much of a muchness in terms of financial return)

You’ve got to wonder that Maguire had a helluva lot on info on what we’ve spent money on, what our “forecast” revenue was from EL campaigns, CL participation, players sales etc.
Specific details that you would assume only people within the club would know…..
Or...

Expert in his area is able to make pretty accurate educated guesses about these figures based on available data.

Telling the world Ibrox was within 24 hours of closing was complete stupidity and incredibly naive.

Why? People on here are demanding to be told just about everything that happens at the club and the cost of the roof repairs was certainly relevant to the debate.

This thread has given me a headache. Much of it is based on inaccurate or incomplete data. The Club is NOT under an obligation to keep fans informed of everything that goes on. I'm paying over 2 grand a year to my energy supplier yet they tell me f*ck all.

Whilst the board has made mistakes, too many people have ignored what has been achieved in the last 3 years preferring to focus on the negatives. One example is Robertson's salary. He didn't earn £500,000 in the 2020/21 financial year, he earned £462,000 (which included a substantial bonus) compared with £288,000 in the year before? Why? Because they won the SPL, undefeated, created a UK record for the least goals conceded, stopped TIAR and got to the round of 16 in the EL. This forum was absolutely dancing in 2020/21, why shouldn't Robertson benefit? Boy some here have very short memories.

Indeed.

I'd say that's down to the nature of fan media. Any club official engaging with fan media will become much better "known" than he would if dealing with the old media.

There are some reasonable points in the OP. But it’s a post typical of social media. Everything is black or white whilst reality is much more nuanced.

There are undoubtedly things the board are doing right, some they are fucking up and some where the strategy is sound but implementation by their employees needs refining. However, right now the genuine criticism is lost in the noise. If we’d played better at the Piggery and Ajax no one would be querying the board’s strategy. As it is, that’s an “in” to blame them for everything from scouting failures to safe standing.

This sounds more like a jilted would-be communications director having a go at the current incumbent.

Until and unless I hear criticism that is both constructive and measured I’ll file it alongside the “Tav disnae shout enough” posts on here.

Or...

Expert in his area is able to make pretty accurate educated guesses about these figures based on available data.

Incoming/prize money from EL is in the public domain. Doesn’t take a chartered accountant to do the sums. Fair enough in that regard.

Money we’ve spent or money received from player sales, sponsorship etc can only come from club. There’s no way maguire would be privy to that information.
He certainly wouldn’t be privy to what our expectations or forecasts for revenue would be from European competition.

I have no idea who makes what decision in the Club and I doubt you have as well.
Can you give me a breakdown of how much money the Club has received so far, not the fees but the money actually received? What percentage of the CL tickets were £180?
The two I bought for the Club Deck were apparently there I’d on average around 35% juniors and concessions and they are between 150 -180 for adults.

The beggars were on average 50 quid cheaper and they spent decent money on their team.

Serious question - were club 1872 right all along and all is forgiven?

Out of the loop fans like me need to know who to trust.
I'm sick of the whole thing mate. Every day we have this going on and it's the same arguments in multiple threads.

I'm just a guy who is interested in the football and I'm not onside with anyone. At least we can't blame the SMSM for this, there's enough material on here from Rangers fans to keep them going for a long time.

This has now became politics and should be moved to the lounge under one thread. Let the bear pit get back to what it's about, football on the pitch and other information that regards travel or tickets in general.

You can listen to Gio’s announcement
Conference and get your own take on it but it came across like it would be used there and then to strengthen the squad.

Don’t get me wrong I never expected to see much of the Patterson money but I expect to see at least 50% of what we brought in at the summer not 25% and certainly expected investment after getting in to Champions league.

You changed it but it is still wrong as the blogger is taking nonsense.Stewart Robertson earns nowhere close to £450k.
The accounts will show it but it was pretty high the last time it was reported plus he’s had bonuses on top.

If you have evidence to the contrary please post it.

Incoming/prize money from EL is in the public domain. Doesn’t take a chartered accountant to do the sums. Fair enough in that regard.

Money we’ve spent or money received from player sales, sponsorship etc can only come from club. There’s no way maguire would be privy to that information.
He certainly wouldn’t be privy to what our expectations or forecasts for revenue would be from European competition.
He's from Liverpool. He made it clear in one of his articles that the cash from Everton was coming in three instalments of £3.7m. He also made it clear the info came from down there. He's not a Rangers 'plant'. He covers this sort of stuff on a myriad of clubs at all levels.

Why? People on here are demanding to be told just about everything that happens at the club and the cost of the roof repairs was certainly relevant to the debate.

This thread has given me a headache. Much of it is based on inaccurate or incomplete data. The Club is NOT under an obligation to keep fans informed of everything that goes on. I'm paying over 2 grand a year to my energy supplier yet they tell me f*ck all.

Whilst the board has made mistakes, too many people have ignored what has been achieved in the last 3 years preferring to focus on the negatives. One example is Robertson's salary. He didn't earn £500,000 in the 2020/21 financial year, he earned £462,000 (which included a substantial bonus) compared with £288,000 in the year before? Why? Because they won the SPL, undefeated, created a UK record for the least goals conceded, stopped TIAR and got to the round of 16 in the EL. This forum was absolutely dancing in 2020/21, why shouldn't Robertson benefit? Boy some here have very short memories.
You are referring to the salary info of the highest paid director of TRFC which Is not Stewart Robertson. That is the same mistake the blogger made.

Did they say it would also be reinvested fully in transfer fees?
[/QUOTE]

Yes go and listen to Gio’s conference start around 9min 30 sec.

He's from Liverpool. He made it clear in one of his articles that the cash from Everton was coming in three instalments of £3.7m. He also made it clear the info came from down there.

Bassey?
Money we’ve spent?

Where did that info come from?

I’m playing devils advocate here mate. I think all to often be just believe what we want to believe depending on what side of the fence we jump to. I think there prob dramatisation and inaccuracies on both sides.

My genuine thoughts….
we’re much better than the club are making out to be. (Not to say we’re flowing in the cash but I think we are probably in a heathy state. Slightly more heathy than our investment in the playing squad would suggest).

Why….
had we not had a run to the EL final, brought in upwards of £50m from player sales (if reports are true) and never made the CL group stages and the rise in ticket costs that come with it. All of which is prob safe to say was not expected, forecasted/budgeted for - it must’ve been catastrophic if we never achieved the above.

Similarly….
If the board did budget for all of the above then it’s absolute negligence as why would they have budgeted for us to get to a European final and bring in £50m in player sales. Budgeting for CL groups is prob “dangerously” speculative on their part but I could see the idea of the gamble.

As I said… there’s two sides to the story/agenda. But somewhere in the middle is the truth most likely.

Back