MOTM Poll Liverpool v Rangers - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have to disagree here. McGregor pulled of 2 or 3 top drawer saves tonight to stop it being worse. Positives from tonight for me are that Matondo looks more suited to the left and it's time we play him there. Davies looks a good signing and helps Goldson out a lot. Finally king is now a head of Sands at the back for me
Everyone except for the manager has seen for months that Matondo is better on the left.

I'm sorry to be negative folks but that performance is nowhere near what I expect from a Rangers side anywhere!

Going up against a Liverpool side who cant buy a clean sheet in the EPL Gio went with a back 5 an aging midfielder who cant cover the ground anymore and a holding midfielder in a midfield two. A number ten at right forward and a player who hasn't kicked his arse in almost a year at left forward. With Alfie through the middle.

His tactics and team selection were amateur level at best in fact some of Liverpool's play made us look like schoolboys with the amount of space and time they had on the ball. He set us up to sit off them and absorb their front players with nothing else from a tactical perspective for when we actually had the ball other than to go long to Kent or Tav. Hope isnt a strong enough basis to build a team performance around. Its all the more confusing when you see the two players come off the bench who may not offer a hell of a lot but at least they can hold the ball and/or develop other players into the game in Sakala and Matondo when they came on.

Beaten before a ball was even kicked. Sorry its no happening for me!

Last edited:
Our board will be lapping it up after the game.
Brushing shoulders with the Liverpool board, scoffing back their prawn sandwiches, and bragging about our new museum which is just about to open.

Good night's work gents for you?

Because the manager is fucking clueless.

Three times we’ve seen him in that position and he’s been the worst player on the pitch every time. Hung out to dry.
Yep. Poor guy is getting slated yet is being played in a position that doesn’t suit him time and time again. That’s on the manager not him.

Gio’s been on the phone to Craig Levine. Just have a go and get pumped. Don’t make people pay to watch what we see against us most weeks. Embarrassingly defensive. If as the manager has said we can’t compete, then at least go out and press and get in their faces maybe force a mistake, don’t give them a night off.

Not after tonight he shouldn't. Pass marks along with the excellent McGregor
Tonight his performance would have been man of match if not for Mcgregor, but it was only a few weeks ago ( before the euro games) he was getting slated for being dropped because he was shit. The forum is fickle sometimes, will see what people think after the next few games, and whether Goldson keeps up the performances or if it's a one off.

Scared in attitude from the start. Provided zero fight and negative until it was gone …seen that before in 3 big away games this season - and easily predicted as soon as you seen the team selection. Right down to playing Tillman ineffectively out of position as at Parkhead.

The high-tempo pressing and aggressive fight seen under Gerrard/Beal is long gone - along with the triangular passing moves and fitness levels. We might not have won that game under the last regime - but at least we would have made a fight of the game and looked on some occasions pretty decent and composed.

Tummy tickled I’m afraid
We’ ll probably have a go next week and get battered affecting our confidence for the foreseeable
Need to keep the faith with Tillman
Davis is done
Lundstrum is woefully out of nick. Can’t be too far off getting dropped
Goldson and Davies were decent as was Tav
Barasic was poor but less so than Kent
Matondo looked quick and direct - needs the ball early
Morelos did ok as did Colak
However
We’re just nowhere near this level however we shuffle the pack

2.0 away to last years champions league finalists they couldn't score from open play we showed in 2nd half we can improve lets take the positives out of this and everyone on here has different opinions of what they may be i personally thought the defence looked more of a unit its a pity Hagi and Lawrence are injured they could have made a difference and we dont have the finance to replace them so with a tweek or 2 were doing not too bad

Wonder if the Gio "prefer second leg having watched the opposition in the flesh" crak will materialize?? If it does, it could be an interesting end with ajax still only on 3 points.

Gio is a coward of a a manager, away from home tonight the team that ended the game should have started, we needed blistering pace to trouble them, and I've said it before we are a different team when Jack plays.
I'll agree he's a coward. We turned up there with no intent at all. Should have been in and about them, fighting for everything. Has he not fucking learned that when we set up to sit off teams and defend it doesn't work. Every time we've done it we've been pumped. If he doesn't believe in our squad he should sling his fucking hook, because the only reason that wasn't a raping is Shagger. Spineless. We'd better not play like that at Ibrox.

El Buff was woeful. Lots of half-arsed jogging around. Never got us "up the pitch" which is supposedly his strength in matches like these. Can see us getting bee-baw-babbity for the Buff,
He's out of contract in the summer. We were never getting anything.

Absolute shite. Very much done with Europe now. Every game is just a painful reminder of how far behind Scottish football has fallen from this level and how dreadful our summer recruitment was.

Disappointing when 2 of our better players turn in such terrible performances. They will both be gutted when they look back at that match.

They had an opportunity to get noticed.
Like Kent too, they failed though.

AM is the only player to be spoken about tomorrow.

Showed some promise at the end. Undone by two set pieces only and also thanks to Greegsy. A what if type of game. Too timid and rushed going forward. Trust yourself to beat people or with a first time shot. Definite hope for next week if pace is kept in the team.

Ok they are better than us but rarely have I seen us give so many passes straight to the opposition or get turned over in possession with so little effort on their part. Didn't have to be like that.

Aw man, how far we have fallen that we are begging for Matondo and Sakala B-D
Or we could keep playing an out of form disinterested kent out left and trying to shoehorn players who are not right wingers onto the right wing

I'm not sakalas biggest fan... Or matondos but they showed more passion and ambition in their first few minutes on the pitch than kent or tillman.

We shouldnt of went with 5 at the back tonight next week we should play 4 at the back & drop king hope fashion colak matonda & jack start night week to only lose because of freekick & penalty isnt bad from 70 mins onwards we played well

As disgraceful as it might be if we don't get a penny for Kent and Morelos from not signing contracts... We wouldn't miss them. Alfie was non existent. Kent was his normal... One decent run, couple of nice turns... No end product. I'm not getting carried away by the subs as they came into it with Liverpool switched off from having nothing to worry about for 75 minutes... But the three subs were aggressive and shouldn't be second fiddle anymore to Kent. Colak should be livid getting benched for Morelos.

If Gio plays that as anything other than atrocious just because we only let 2 in, he should be chased.

Performance sums GVB. Team set up to keep the score down. Matondo and Sakala should play on either flank from now on but we all know that Kent will be back at the weekend and next week versus Liverpool.
Pundits all said it tonight when Colak, Matondo and Sakala appeared. They were like ‘where did this lot come from’.

Shape of team was all wrong tonight for 65 mins. Kamara and Jack when they came on started looking for the ball. Up until then the job that Lundstram was asked to do tactically was criminal.

Back