Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

When would you have sacked him, out of interest?
i personally would have sacked him after last defeat against them.
the problem is there is no-one that i can see is jumping out as a ready made replacement.
we cant afford another january /summer like last couple as that will just allow them to pull away further.
we are on verge of throwing away all the good work previous 4/5 years.

is it the case that the answer you’re looking for is for him to be sacked today?
It would appear that the answer to that is yes. What always interests me in threads like these, of which if I started a thread now asking if people were happy with the current weather in London, it would somehow morph into a sack the manager thread. This board was almost silent on Saturday because we won. Strange or maybe not.

I’m not his biggest fan but he’s won the biggest game of the week handsomely.

The signs are now there for a decent domestic run up to the world cup

Based on one game. We've not looked like a team going on any sort of domestic run but I suppose the result at Tynecastle was a start. Let's see how we cope with Motherwell away.

We should be winning every domestic game from now until the World Cup shut down.

After Saturdays performance I’m willing to give him until January. We’ve got some players coming back from injury that should make a difference. I wouldn’t be surprised if we are top of the league come the break for the World Cup. Yes I’ve flip flopped as I wanted him sacked two weeks ago ha ha.

The writing is already on the wall

The fans are bored
The players look bored with his dull style

Whether it’s next week or in February, he’ll be gone at some point as the performances aren’t acceptable and we are so boring to watch. Everything is slow and passive
We are the slowest team in the spfl, not even remotely acceptable, players bored, no zip, tactics rotten, keep the zero, supporters are bored, completely and utterly out of his depth, his admirers said recently his euro record has been great to deflect 2 parkhead capitulations, well its just tumbled off a cliff at great speed recently, there is no defending him anymore, the regression of this team is frightening, He will go sooner or later but will it be too late to save our season, probably not.

Last edited:
Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

The GK fiascal…..enough said, which also ties in with recruitment.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?
Noon ideally

Big decision to make nearer the end of the season,Looks like Europe is going to be an absolute disaster but domestically we’re still in everything so he has the time to bring some success,In saying that the football he has us playing is less than entertaining and our players look slow,unfit and disinterested.

You having never heard of them doesn’t mean they don’t have players who have had £20m transfers and played for the likes of Roma, Chelsea and Ajax before.
Oh yeah they can also afford players like Mezut Ozil, whereas we can only afford to resign the likes of Steven Davis. So you kind of expect them to batter Hearts, better managers and better players haven’t got result we got on Saturday
Are you seriously hanging onto one result against Hearts?

This idea that he's too stubborn to change tactics.

So we only going for a manager who plays to "Rangers" system next time round?

What even is our system?
That’s a good question that the DoF should be able to answer, after all - the coach should just be a passing ship in the night - ie. The club should have a way of playing, the coach must fit into that ethos

People acting like a win against a 10 man Hearts that rarely ever show up against us , heck even our B Team thumped them, is a resurgence and not just papering over the cracks.

I can’t back that up because I simply don’t know however, I don’t get the impression they have chucked it as has been suggested.

Actually, I would point to the celebrations on each goal on Saturday to suggest you are correct.

Imagine this forum was available throughout Walters 9 in a row spell - he would have been getting hounded by many on here - let that sink in
If this forum had existed during nine in a row ,the internet would have broke
Because we were absolutely dire in Europe apart from 92/93 ,winning leagues saved Walter along with loyalty from Murray .
We were told Europe is where we would be judged by the media and quite rightly imo with the money we were spending .

I can honestly say hand on heart that during nine in a row it was all about Europe for me and if given the choice of nine in a row or the Champions league ,I would have taken the later in an instant. Of course equaling their 9 was tremendous but Europe was a huge let down.
As for Gio ,he will be here to the end if the season minimum.

I would love to see gio prove everyone wrong but does anyone see it happening can anyone pick positives from his style of play, he doesn't exactly exude passion for the job which in turn seems to be reflected in his team and that apathy is what us fans are picking up on, which will lead to him going sooner rather than later.

That’s a good question that the DoF should be able to answer, after all - the coach should just be a passing ship in the night - ie. The club should have a way of playing, the coach must fit into that ethos
We’re meant to play a certain way, but Gios Turgenev, defence first mentality has taken hold.

The league fixtures up to the break are all winnable, if he goes in a good run in the league he's going nowhere.

We'll beat Dundee and go into a semi final.

Naples will not be pleasant but we will probably be relatively competitive Vs Liverpool and Ajax at home with the crowd behind us.

There's an absolute chasm between how close people think he is to the sack and how close he actually is.

While the season is in play domestically which it very much is he's going nowhere.

If this forum had existed during nine in a row ,the internet would have broke
Because we were absolutely dire in Europe apart from 92/93 ,winning leagues saved Walter along with loyalty from Murray .
We were told Europe is where we would be judged by the media and quite rightly imo with the money we were spending .

I can honestly say hand on heart that during nine in a row it was all about Europe for me and if given the choice of nine in a row or the Champions league ,I would have taken the later in an instant. Of course equaling their 9 was tremendous but Europe was a huge let down.
As for Gio ,he will be here to the end if the season minimum.
We were dire in Europa granted, we’re dire everywhere at the moment.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.
Well said mate

I remember a similar loud minority of mentalists wanting Walter Smith sacked back in 2009-10 (had taken us to a European final and was actually winning league titles) because we weren’t playing like Barcelona.

They will always be among us!

I’ve broken my own rule today and come on here the day after a defeat. Didn’t disappoint and it seems to be getting quite personal with some. Hilarious and depressing in equal measure.

Last edited:
The right question is 'what can you do for me now?'

So taking us to a European final, selling some players for profit (neither of which he signed btw) and taking us to the CL are irrelevant when the brilliant funds we have collected from those endeavours will see us sit SECOND in the SPL and force us through yet more gruelling qualifiers to collect those funds again.

The board don't have the vision or guts to get rid of him and build. Their approach is typified by extending contracts for the old guard - cowering and unimaginative.

So the answer for me is as soon as possible please.

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?
End of the season. He's earned the right to a full season in my opinion. He's won us the Scottish Cup, took us to a Europa League final and qualified for the Champions League. He's not yet been here a year. Currently, we are two points off the top of the league and still have both domestic cup competitions. He's not had anything like a fully fit and integrated squad to pick from so far this season. I'm not saying he's perfect by any means, but for me the jury is out and unless things go totally tits up in the coming months, judgement should be made at the end of the season. People should be careful what they wish for. We can't just rip it up and start again every year and for all the reasons above, Gio's first 11 months in charge have hardly been a disaster!

I’m not a huge Gio fan, but the guy took us to a Europa Final, is 2 points behind and has made about £50m in transfers. If you think the Board are considering sacking him then you’re insane.
Gio made £50m in transfers?

Next few weeks are now key for him, we have 7 league games between now and WC that are all very winnable. 4 at home 3 away to Motherwell, St Johnstone and St Mirren

We should win all 7, even 18 points out of 21 wouldn’t be acceptable. If he has us in a position that we are any worse than 2 points behind (assuming they win all theirs which I don’t see really) before WC then he should be removed

Edited: 7 games not 8

Last edited:
Should be given until end of the season and then his performance should be reviewed. We were always going to struggle in the Champions League group stages. We have our main players coming back now from injury I.e Davies Morelos etc so will hopefully see a difference domestically between now and the world cup

You described a perfectly good victory at Tynecastle as “papering over the cracks”. Is that what you shouted from the stands in support of the team?
It wasn't a good performance though was it, yes we won but it was for me, a poor performance and it wasn't long ago our reserve team beat them.

There's nothing exciting about this team, it's the same turgid football that every team has worked out how to play against for the most part.

I dont like our identity under him.
The football is boring as feck and it won't get any better.
But the Board won't get rid....not unless it's costing them money.

I'll always buy my season ticket but they've now lost me as a CCCS and MyGers customer. I'm not voluntarily signing up to blindly pay whatever they decide against all levels of competition to watch us play this kind of football.

I'll keep my season ticket in the knowledge that he'll eventually be gone and hopefully something a little less ordinary is on the horizon.

The vice chairman labelled the piggery and Ajax unacceptable. Add that to last year's piggery debacle and last night (surely the board don't think last night was acceptable?). Another would be 5. He's one more stinking performance away from getting the bullet. Or maybe my wishful thinking.

I don't get entertained watching us play, I rarely feel confident we will win - and turn up to big games now hoping not to get skelped, if I wrote that as a St Mirren fan - its acceptable.
Not at Rangers, its not who we are and what we are about.

That isnt ALL on the manager, but the majority of it is.

I'm not judging him on the champions league campaign the group we are in as it's one of the hardest in the competition that we could have got but the end of the road for me was the Piggery. He showed that day he learnt nothing from the defeat in February when he setup the same way that night good managers learn from mistakes he clearly didn't.

Who replaces him I don't know but for me it just feels inevitable and Wilson should be pro active in having someone lined up now. If we drop anymore points and tims keep winning from now until world cup break then it's time to go.
And then he plays Tillman again in that same position that he should have learned would not work. Leaves it until the game is gone as usual - doing nothing except watching that unfold like a shop window mannequin. He gets these big away games wrong mostly right from the start - and then waits around until the other team has won and is cantering around before making a sub.

We weren’t playing an ‘elite level’ team at Parkhead and it was the same negative attitude and performance that day. Whether it’s the tims or Liverpool we don’t appear to know what we are doing tactically.

I think being in such a weak league makes it harder for the board to justify sacking him.
We are two points off the top but let’s face it we are dreadful to watch and sort of just do enough to beat teams that are vastly inferior to us.
I travel to games now through loyalty I don’t look forward to the games themselves and I don’t expect to be entertained, I feel myself waiting for the inevitable massive %^*& up the next time we have a massive game.
To answer the question I’d prefer him to be gone now and try to get some sort of enthusiasm and energy back about the place.
But I fear it will take another doing from them or a shock result against a minnow for the axe to drop.

It wasn't a good performance though was it, yes we won but it was for me, a poor performance and it wasn't long ago our reserve team beat them.

There's nothing exciting about this team, it's the same turgid football that every team has worked out how to play against for the most part.
I thought the first half was a very good performance of counter attacking football; with a little more poise and a referee that could see, we could have been 3 or 4 up, but two was pretty acceptable. Second half was largely dull when we could have gone for more goals, but ending up 4-0 was not what any of us were predicting pre-match.

Personally, I think the addition of Lawrence and Colak has countered the way opponents in Scotland play against us. I’m hoping Tillman might also bring some of the guile lost by Aribo’s departure.

Sometimes we’re “turgid”, sometimes we’re exciting to watch; last season’s European run can’t just be ignored because we’re not winning every game this season like Brazil in 1970. It’s October for goodness sake and this squad of players are still finding their feet.

We were 2-0 up and cruising before they got a man sent off. We’d still have won by a few

Don’t rewrite the narrative just because it suits a bashing session

4-0 away to Hearts is a good result - no question

It was also the most boring 4-0 ive witnessed we were dire for long spells

His double sub nearly put me to sleep

Blind optimism from a lot of folk on this thread.

I think the St Mirren result against that lot have gave some fans false hope.

The writing is on the wall for Gio, the football on display is utter dire & the players don’t seem to be buying it either.

I have zero faith in Gio or this team going on a winning run up to the break.

Come 2:30pm on the 12th November after our last game before the break i would be astounded if we are still within 2 points of them.

As much as I have been frustrated with the way we have played if Gio’s name was Gerrard he would be given a lot more respect/time.

What he has accomplished in his short tenture so far (Europe League Final, Scottish Cup Win) if Gerrard did that in the same amount of time as Gio he would have been given God status.
I wonder how long the Gio out brigade would give their beloved Michael Beale

We were 2-0 up and cruising before they got a man sent off. We’d still have won by a few

Don’t rewrite the narrative just because it suits a bashing session

It was a good result but the performance was nothing to write home about. Hearts had a fair bit of the game up until the red card. Colak's two clinical finishes aside, there was nothing in the game really.

The bottom line is this is not a good Rangers team to watch and we will accept that when we are winning but when results turn, Gio will be toast.

He is 2 points behind in the league.
He got us into the champions League group stages
He won the Scottish cup last year.
He has been on the job less than 1 year.

If you think he is getting sacked anytime soon you haven't a clue.

Celtic had a near perfect record last season and there wasn't much we could do to match it. We reached a European final and won a cup. Some of you need to accept the reality that you don't win everything and that we're back to how things generally were pre-admin when both teams might win the league and cups.

I dont like our identity under him.
The football is boring as feck and it won't get any better.
But the Board won't get rid....not unless it's costing them money.

I'll always buy my season ticket but they've now lost me as a CCCS and MyGers customer. I'm not voluntarily signing up to blindly pay whatever they decide against all levels of competition to watch us play this kind of football.

I'll keep my season ticket in the knowledge that he'll eventually be gone and hopefully something a little less ordinary is on the horizon.

I get this but imo you simply have to let the club know by writting to them via letter. (They dont respod to email)}

If not they will put your stance down to the cost of living crisis and your basicly just missing out on the small perks the above comes with.

Last edited:
Back