Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Blind optimism from a lot of folk on this thread.

I think the St Mirren result against that lot have gave some fans false hope.

The writing is on the wall for Gio, the football on display is utter dire & the players don’t seem to be buying it either.

I have zero faith in Gio or this team going on a winning run up to the break.

Come 2:30pm on the 12th November after our last game before the break i would be astounded if we are still within 2 points of them.
Celtic losing at St Mirren maybe reminds us that this is a league programme where, occasionally, everything doesn’t go to plan and that losing points is something that happens over a season.

FF seems now to be a board where a dropped point necessitates the sacking of a manager and even a 4-0 win at Tynecastle is scorned because the football was a bit boring.

Aye, a guy that has over 100 caps for Holland and has played in a world cup final , captained his country, won the champions League as a player , won the treble with us is a coward.

However I'm sure you have done lots of things better in your life that's makes you a big brave boy
Where is all that experience you’re talking about then?

Scudded off them twice without laying a glove off them.
Not beat them in 90 minutes.
Scudded in 3 CL games where there is no clear tactic, no idea, no energy, can’t even do the basics right.
Chucked the league away last year.
Changing the tactics and throwing players in from the cold away at Pittodrie, Easter Road, Tynecastle, and now Anfield.

He is 2 points behind in the league.
He got us into the champions League group stages
He won the Scottish cup last year.
He has been on the job less than 1 year.

If you think he is getting sacked anytime soon you haven't a clue.
Also the no Dutch players thing is so odd. What if we signed a Dutch player and he wasn't good enough, would you be happier then that Gio at least tried that on account of where his parents happened to be living when he was born?

Despite me absolutely hating this horseshoe style of play, I still think we'll be there or thereabouts for the league and still in both cups.

He's nowhere near to being sacked.

CL for the board was about banking the money and any points picked up along the way a bonus.

16 games in and you’re allowing the manager to drop 5 points, I hate to break it to you but with your mental logic your demands are we should be hitting over 100 points this season :)) :)) :)) :))

This is not because we might not get 100 points this season its because I cannot see him not dropping more and more points as the season goes on. This an accumulation of awful performances, dreadful signings, dreadful tactics, players who look like they have given up.

This not me being unrealistic in terms of league points tally or just thinking oh one more game. This is watching what is happening in front of me just now.

Thanks to St Mirren we are only 2pts off them but we cannot keep relying on other teams to do us favours, we cannot afford dropped points, we cannot afford to go into another old firm game with Gio as a manager if these performances do not improve soon because we will be on to another hiding.

Celtic had a near perfect record last season and there wasn't much we could do to match it. We reached a European final and won a cup. Some of you need to accept the reality that you don't win everything and that we're back to how things generally were pre-admin when both teams might win the league and cups.

That doesn't take away the poor performances and results from us. We held an advantage and put in some shockers. A must win at home to Celtic and we didn't turn up. Thumped at Celtic Park, draw at Aberdeen (Aberdeen were awful), draw at Ross County, draw at Tannadice, home to Motherwell.

Yeah I agree with this, I just don’t want to see us drop further behind them, if we can keep putting in the performances like the hearts game then I’m holding my hands up and retracting this post but just going on what we’ve seen so far I just can’t in my heart of hearts see that happening.

I’m hope I’m wrong and he proves me wrong but as said in thread header, when does it become ok times up if it doesn’t change
Lot of hearts in there

What the f*ck has that got to do with anything?

"We won 4-0 but not the type of 4-0 that I like"

Christ.

Means we are a boring turgid football team under this guy

Results v 10 men spl teams mean very very little im looking at the overall picture

As much as I can see the issues with tactics and the players’ lack of belief, you can’t bin a manager who just got us to EL Final, won The Cup, qualified for the CL and is sitting two points off the top of the league, all while dealing with a horrendous run of injuries.

What manager of substance would even consider coming here after that?

Besides, we need to get shot of Ross Wilson first anyway;)

Celtic had a near perfect record last season and there wasn't much we could do to match it. We reached a European final and won a cup. Some of you need to accept the reality that you don't win everything and that we're back to how things generally were pre-admin when both teams might win the league and cups.
The players have downed tools, dressing room is broken, how clear does it have to be.

He will be here until end of season or until they open up a gap which will be impossible to catch. Hiw negative tactics i believe are having a draining effect of the players and it's seeping through to the support.

What happens if Celtic drop more and we are top of the league by the World Cup?

What if ma da had a fanny....

So if we are dropping points but Celtic have went on a bad run and managed to drop more than us, does that make Gio a good manager or does the mean Celtic have lost form??? As to us dropping points sounds like bad performances have continued and we are not in good form either but just slightly better form than them. It feels harsh to sack a manager at that point but all it takes is for Celtics form to improve and ours to consistently be poor and then to leapfrog us.

I genuinely don't think the players want him as the manager. I see that in performance levels.

There was a ray of light v hearts but i cant see him winning the title. In too many big away games we see the wrong team selection with slow turgid play. On the whole we have been boring to watch and for me he shpuld have been shown the door after the scum and ajax games.

I said at the start of the season, I could see him away by Christmas. I stand by this. He is ONE domestic defeat and a Scum humiliation from the sack in my opinion.

As long as he is within touching distance or in front of timmy then I doubt he will be going anywhere. Two failures at winning the league though, for me that means bye bye.
Going by that logic we wouldn't have got 55.
Personally I'd give him to the Old Firm in January but ONLY if we're still in touching distance of them.

So if we win the league, he must go?
Yes because the League is a coin toss realistically this season.

Look at how the XI has gone backwards and the squad is not fit for purpose. All of which hes explained due to the CL being difficult. Not so.

We all understand its a new level but that does not excuse the lack of desire shown and lack of his own exasperation around the repeat failings of his team.

He thinks is largely all ok but its so far from ok its not real. Certainly hard to believe.

The number of players leaving next Summer is big and I dont trust him at all to rebuild the team.

I dont say that lightly as I loved him as a Player and liked him as a Coach but the regression is clear and growing.

The reaction is so irrational.
Its not a reaction to last night, that simply all but KOd our chances of qualifying.

Look at how this team has gone backwards and the lack of positive signs for improvement.

Players too old.
Players too unfit and unable to reach fitness.
Players not wanting to be there.

All of whom continue to be picked by Gio and he apparently cant see the problems even though that are clear as day.

His team is slow, his team is lacking creative ideas and his team lacks any sort of resilience when put under pressure.

Let's turn it around and instead ask why would we retain him after the Summer. Based on what we have seen and are seeing, not the fact we got to the Europa League final.

He's embarrassing us with these tactics and the way he sets up. our players are attacking style pressing all over the park he plays them to sit and invite teams on to us.

You must have loved Walter Smith relentlessly winning trophies playing dire football at times

Walter Smith never dropped as many redicolus spl points in 2 spells here!

Are we really going to compare Walter Smith to Gio?

For me that two names cant be mentioned in the same sentance

I honestly believe some on here would be better paying a few extra quid and watching and supporting Manchester City. The imperfections and overall inconsistency that supporting Rangers brings maybe isn’t for you.

As said in the thread, the group is horrendous and I’m not expecting anything from the group but there’s a way of playing.

We set up as negative as you can get and just took a pumping, let’s be honest if JM is in goal last night, that’s 7 or 8 nil but it’s ok cause we playing Liverpool….no it’s not we might still get pumped but the performance levels, the tactics and the fight is a non negotiable
JM wasn’t in goal though.

Champions league qualification has really been a big problem for the fan base this season for a number of reasons.

1. The expected financial benefits and subsequent investment in the team which did not materialise

2. The ticket cost

3. After the ticket cost, the expectation of being able to compete, when we can't really compete that well at all.

(I was guilty of underestimating the size of the challenge facing us as well)

4. The congested fixture calender and these games being so close together. It's a lot of bad results in a short space of time, when we aren't accustomed to that in recent years and gives a skewed view on our form given the quality of opponent being an anomaly.

Genuinely think that the CL performances should be ignored when reviewing Gios tenure. We might still make 3rd, and if we do it will be quite miraculous. If we don't then so be it and we concentrate on the league, getting into the CL and improving on things next season, and repeat

Celtic losing at St Mirren maybe reminds us that this is a league programme where, occasionally, everything doesn’t go to plan and that losing points is something that happens over a season.

FF seems now to be a board where a dropped point necessitates the sacking of a manager and even a 4-0 win at Tynecastle is scorned because the football was a bit boring.
A 5 man defence and our midfield that had Steven Davis against Liverpool ... a man that's been done for 2 seasons not just one let that sink in., no subs at HT, incredible

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?
I think that this is another thread that spouts a lot with no insight or solution

Personally would have been gone awhile ago but I think he will get the season, hopefully the board and decision makers have better vision than me

We have have clearly re-gressed this season from last, GVB's style of play is to put it mildly, insipid and uninspiring.

We also look less fit than before, and many of any players look like they don't have belief in him or his approach and look to have checked out.

I don't expect many domestic defeats but the lack of intensity in our play and negative approach once ahead will see us draw too many.

Unless we have a complete collapse I fully expect the board to give GVB the entire season, but I feel there is an inevitability of us going backwards and him requiring being replaced, just that it will be later, not sooner.

Unfortunately stuck with him and his negative boring football untill the end of the season at least.

Gutting

As said in the thread, the group is horrendous and I’m not expecting anything from the group but there’s a way of playing.

We set up as negative as you can get and just took a pumping, let’s be honest if JM is in goal last night, that’s 7 or 8 nil but it’s ok cause we playing Liverpool….no it’s not we might still get pumped but the performance levels, the tactics and the fight is a non negotiable
Fight comes from players.

Giving the ball away comes from the players

Hooking Davis should have happened before half time but there is always the hope that he could start keeping the ball. It never. That is on the manager.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.
Excellent post. Fitba is so emotive and that’s why we love it.

The guy is 2 points behind, nobody in their right mind would sack a manager in that position in rightly so.

Literally not lost a single game domestically to anyone other than celtic over a year in.

FF isn't really life, it's full of mental trying to outdo each other on who can be most pissed off at anything and everything.

Gio is winning us this league.

A 5 man defence and our midfield that had Steven Davis against Liverpool ... a man that's been done for 2 seasons not just one let that sink in., no subs at HT, incredible
A five man defence when the opposition are playing Salah, Diaz, Jota and Nunez. Also a five man defence which includes, historically, two of our most potent attacking threats in Tav and Barasic. And finally, a five man defence up against players who are streets ahead of them in terms of talent and natural ability.

I also wouldn’t play Davis. I would like to see Tillman be allowed to control our midfield. But if we’d lost doing that it would be “why are we putting a kid in the middle of the park in such a big game?”

Celtic losing in the league bought him some time as it’s closer. I think 6 defeats in Europe and a gap opening in the league and he will be struggling.

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

The GK fiascal…..enough said, which also ties in with recruitment.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?
We are in the league Cup, have qualified for the champions league and are two points behind the scum having had a far tougher run games including sharkhied away.
A very noisy element of the support is very angry with him about a lot of things. These are the guys who think they speak for all Rangers fans.
A far larger section of the support is just vaguely pissed off with how things are going at the club in general.
But the results are very good and he is not going to be sacked anytime soon.
I honestly feel if we have a better run of injuries and the new signings settle we will win the league.
I also have a lot more faith that Gio can win a cup than I ever did that Steve G would.
That said if the injury list doesn't improve we probably won't win a thing and Gio will be gone at the end of the season.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.
Excellent post, we have over achieved so much in Europe over the last few years, that was never going to last forever, especially with the step up in class from the EL and CL.

Back