Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Duffy plays for Fulham.

As for the gulf between Rangers and Barcelona in 2007 compared to between. Rangers and Liverpool in 2022, if you're trying to jump a gorge in a Vespa it's going to be difficult to make the other side regardless of if the other side is a mile, a mile and a half away or located on the moon.

You know the times up when it becomes a chore going to watch one of the most boring Rangers teams in memory.

Home against utter dross and we play 2 defensive midfielders and take about 15 passes to get it out of midfield.
Away against any team it’s Operation Keep The Zero, whilst any attempt at looking like a football team goes out the window.

How many times last night did we fail to make a simple pass? How many times did we fail to even close to the opponent? How many times when it required real grit and effort did our players just jog about. It doesn’t matter who the opponent is, at least make an effort and get the basics right ffs.

Finished with Gio a long time ago, he’s taken all the goodness of going to see our team which is some fucking feat. Even Pedro and Murty never had me thinking “is it even worth wasting a Saturday afternoon going to sit and watch this shit”. You just know you’ll be sitting watching Gioball with the horseshoe shit passing from side to side.
Home games.

In 3 home games the combined opposition had one shot on target and camped in their own half. 270 minutes of football.
We scored 10 goals in return.Two of them 4 nil defeats.

Someone's trying to play football.

I've read your post and know your feelings.However.

Do you think that one shot on target by the opposition in 3 games contributes to exciting competative football ?

Maybe the word antifootball by the opposition should come up more often in these discussions ?

Incidently between the 3 home games there were 12 shots in total with 1 on target.
No wonder 4 nil victories feel flat.

It was always going to happen when that team started to see important players leave.

This is the curious aspect to "player trading" that a few folks seem unable or unwilling to accept.

Players leave at the top of their Rangers career. With new players we start the process again, building the individual and the collective - it's only natural that there may be a regression.

It's a cycle.

Duffy plays for Fulham.

As for the gulf between Rangers and Barcelona in 2007 compared to between. Rangers and Liverpool in 2022, if you're trying to jump a gorge in a Vespa it's going to be difficult to make the other side regardless of if the other side is a mile, a mile and a half away or located on the moon.
It's not the gulf it's the commitment there's a massive disparity, players don't look as fit or interested as they did. Granted we lost bassey and aribo two power houses in terms of running/fitness we have not recruited well and it shows.

Go to the cinema

So your happy to watch crap week in week out as long as we are in touching distance to Celtic. Last night was an utter embarrassment. Not the result or score line but the fact that it was clear from the tactics that we decided it wasn’t even worth trying to put any pressure at all on Liverpool.

Domestically we are rank rotten to watch. Even at tynecastle with a four nil win was barely entertaining. For about 20 mins in the second half he couldn’t even get his team to play well against 10 men

I know for a bona fide fact that the players absolutely love him.
This thing about the players not trying because of his tactics is going to become the new thing that’s just stated as fact here.

Some of the performances have been poor, but we have been getting wins in the league and have lost less points to the ‘SPFL dross’ than Celtic.

We have been well beaten in all our CL games, however all games have been against teams that are just better than us and it’s a huge step up in quality from what these players have been up against in the past.

Last night was frustrating but I’m pretty sure the last thing GVB wanted was to be going into the game at the weekend off of a 5-0 defeat - he was right to setup and play cautiously.

It’s the stubbornness to never change tactics comments that always gets me!!
This is just utter crap.

If anything his issue might be that he changes tactics too often. There's barely a set-up or formation we haven't used, we change frequently in games - and a couple of our best European results can directly be attributed to changes he made within the games.

At a time when the main criticism of last night by the usual suspects seems to be that we should have pitched up at Anfield and treated them like Ross County at home, your post makes it clear that it's nothing to do with what Gio actually does, you're just twisting the facts and inventing negatives.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.
I can accept that we're missing Aribo & Bassey, but if we need lots of time to recover after actually reaching a European final, heaven knows what next season will be like if we need to recover from a no goals, no points, 6 game scudding bottom of the table performance in the UCL this season.

The UCL was always going to extremely difficult, but our team has many problems this season - we have been horribly hit by injuries yet again, but our signings have been a mixed bag, our performances mainly poor, and GVB's tactics & team selections are continually criticised on here, so clearly all is not well.

I hope GVB can build on the Hearts win, but am not confident about it. Assuming we don't fall away in the league I suspect he would get until the end of the season, provided we don't have any more abject surrenders like the 4-0 game.

So your happy to watch crap week in week out as long as we are in touching distance to Celtic. Last night was an utter embarrassment. Not the result or score line but the fact that it was clear from the tactics that we decided it wasn’t even worth trying to put any pressure at all on Liverpool.

Domestically we are rank rotten to watch. Even at tynecastle with a four nil win was barely entertaining. For about 20 mins in the second half he couldn’t even get his team to play well against 10 men

An example of how a media narrative works. We have posters who would rather a 6-0 hammering.

This is the curious aspect to "player trading" that a few folks seem unable or unwilling to accept.

Players leave at the top of their Rangers career. With new players we start the process again, building the individual and the collective - it's only natural that there may be a regression.

It's a cycle.
In that cycle though, you'll usually lose 1 or 2 at the top while 1 or 2 are improving currently and add another few to the beginning of the cycle.

It seems like we've lost 1 or 2 from the top, then the gap in the middle isn't being filled currently by a few improving players taking the mantle.
That's on both the players and the recruitment strategy for me

Yeah the Tillman experiment on the right doesn't work I'm guessing he plays him there cause he's decent in the air and can be used as an outfall but he's an attacking midfield player so play him in the middle. It's just another example of him not learning from a mistake he's quite arrogant as well so it's probably why he doesn't change or address it all. I can't listen to him anymore and haven't done so since the Napoli game.

It clearly doesn't suit Tillman either but at the same time his body language and work ethic when he plays on the right is shocking from a professional footballer imo. Just because positionally it doesn't suit him he still has a responsibility to work hard for his teammates. He'd do well to remember that he's a loan player, he's not yet a superstar and he will have to do the donkey work if he wants to go any further in the game. He's a man short just now.

It's a cycle.

One that so many on here refuse to grasp though. If you're selling players of the ability of Bassey and Aribo and replacing them with players you want to improve to that level, who aren't quite there yet, then there is always, always going to be a drop off in quality and a period of adjustment.

Personally, I think we'll have a successful domestic campaign this season, mostly because we have a proper finisher and, even though its very early days, but with Davies in our defence we haven't conceded 1 goal from open play. Him and Goldson could be a title winning defence, similar to Goldson and Helander a couple of years ago.

This thing about the players not trying because of his tactics is going to become the new thing that’s just stated as fact here.

Some of the performances have been poor, but we have been getting wins in the league and have lost less points to the ‘SPFL dross’ than Celtic.

We have been well beaten in all our CL games, however all games have been against teams that are just better than us and it’s a huge step up in quality from what these players have been up against in the past.

Last night was frustrating but I’m pretty sure the last thing GVB wanted was to be going into the game at the weekend off of a 5-0 defeat - he was right to setup and play cautiously.
I'd say we were well beaten eventually but I don't think anyone should be using Napoli as a stick to beat Gio. We played bloody well, 11 v 11, and even after it got away from us we weren't disgraced.

FWIW I wouldn't count us out in either of the remaining home games - although if we trounce Ajax and Liverpool it'll just be an excuse for the idiots to blame Gio for not going all out attack in the away games.

It was always going to happen when that team started to see important players leave.

We have had the best European runs, or consistent performances at least, in our History since 2018. 4 years of punching above our weight in the EL and we have been so spoiled, no more so than last season. One of the best years I have ever had following rangers.

The step up to the UCL was always going to be massive. Especially for a team in a bit of a transitional period like we are. It should be a bit of a free hit for the manager and the squad as we aren't used to this level.

Our fans though, mostly online thankfully, refuse to acknowledge any of this and as usual want their pound of flesh.
Our supporters are spending a fortune on season tickets, away tickets, tops, kits etc and food before taking their seats and are being served up 3 courses of boring, slow turgid passages of play the inept headscratching tactics and lastly the limp defensive comments of what we've just watched. Most of the people I speak to are completely fed up, it's a good job we've got the pub that sees us through

Last night was embarrassing we never done anything in the game he's an absolute wet wipe and inspires no confidence whatsoever. I'd take Steven Robinson over gio in a heartbeat at least he would set us up to be bastards! (I don't want him as manger was just an example)

If you can’t enjoy a 4-0 win I don’t think football is for you.

I can accept that we're missing Aribo & Bassey, but if we need lots of time to recover after actually reaching a European final, heaven knows what next season will be like if we need to recover from a no goals, no points, 6 game scudding bottom of the table performance in the UCL this season.

Mate, the players played in the biggest game of their careers in May, were straight into the Scottish Cup final and the season is done. The UCL campaign ends in December. You play domestic football for another 5 months after that.

Not remotely comparable.

**had to adjust my dates there.

He'll be here for as long as we're in with a very realistic shout of winning the league.

If we get to a position where we again drop to 4 or more points behind the Tims, then I think the pressure that comes with that from the fans, media etc will see him replaced.

European games this season won't come into it because he met the objective of qualifying for the CL.

Domestic cups - bonus if we win but not enough on their own if we aren't going to win the league. Opposite applies if we get knocked out.

Not really, I don’t see many teams play as negative as us
Really.

Name the last SPFL side who came to Ibrox and demonstrated their willingness to play wide open football against a better side. I'm thinking Hamilton Accies who got beat by 8. We were very polite about Brian Rice and couldn't understand why Accies sacked him a few weeks later.

I was prepared to accept that we might win nothing last season given that GVB took over part of the way through the season but it turned out to be a better season than I had anticipated although some the football that the team played at times was pretty dire. Winning the Scottish Cup and reaching the Europa League final rather glossed over how mediocre some the performances were.

I had hoped that once GVB had brought in the players he wanted and with the benefit of a full preseason the team would start to perform to a level similar to that in the 55 season. However, in my view the team has regressed even from last season in terms of fitness, spirit, tactics, team selection and use of substitutes. The current crop of injuries and the loss of Aribo and Bassey may well be contributing factors to the present form and results, but I suspect some of it is due to the negative tactics and what appears to be some confusion amongst the players as to their roles and all of that stems from the manager. The win against Hearts was very welcome but that form needs to continue for the rest of the season to make me change my mind that GVB should go.

In that cycle though, you'll usually lose 1 or 2 at the top while 1 or 2 are improving currently and add another few to the beginning of the cycle.

It seems like we've lost 1 or 2 from the top, then the gap in the middle isn't being filled currently by a few improving players taking the mantle.
That's on both the players and the recruitment strategy for me

We're 8 games into the league season. Maybe we should be giving things a little more time before making definitive judgements. That would seem reasonable rather seeking dismissals across the whole Club.

If you can’t enjoy a 4-0 win I don’t think football is for you.

I enjoy the result offcourse but look beyond it for a second and look at the game in more detail. From the sending off to the Morelos third goal was complete rubbish.

I can accept getting beat in the champions league as our players ( especially in midfield ) are miles short of what are required but domestically we are boring to watch with slow ponderous play. The players are like robots who don’t seem to have any license to just play the game.

Regarding your 1st point, I don’t think anyone is naive enough to think this team or any team in any league will not drop points over the course of the season. The issue is, this manager & coaching staff don’t seem to learn from the mistakes of previous games where they have dropped points.

Gio has literally came out & said he will not change his style, that comment alone is a glaring indictment of the problems we have.

With regards to the 2nd point, the football has been rotten since Gio has came in, let’s be absolutely honest about that fact. No fan is calling for Gio’s head after a 4-0 win at Tynecastle because the football was rotten on that 1 occasion.
Point 1: if that’s the case, why are several on here saying “if we drop one point before the World Cup he needs to go.

Point 2: “the football has been rotten since Gio came in, let’s be absolutely honest about that fact.” Your opinion: fine. The actual facts are Gio took us to a European final (fact) playing some dazzling football (opinion). That did happen and I’m not sure why it’s been forgotten early October of the following season.

That’s all from me today as that lunch isn’t going to make itself. Stay strong.

He should be gone. It's clear he's not a good manager and that is not just based on yesterday's result. I don't think the players believe in him either.

Seems some are happy with that though.

There is Rangers way, or Gio way, in my opinion.
This “I cannot identify with or recognise his style” is claptrap.
Last season, he’d change tactics and style during the game as many times.
People hark back to Gerrard/Beales play as if it was all out attack, swashbuckling, fast flowing football. Many a game under Gerrard was turgid shite, with about 70 crosses into Roofe or Defoe against 3 6ft4 SPFL cloggers

Last night was embarrassing we never done anything in the game he's an absolute wet wipe and inspires no confidence whatsoever. I'd take Steven Robinson over gio in a heartbeat at least he would set us up to be bastards! (I don't want him as manger was just an example)
You must have hated Walters second run.

If we had a manager like Robinson we would be playing in the Europa League and likely been eliminated during the group stage of last seasons EL campaign.

We're 8 games into the league season. Maybe we should be giving things a little more time before making definitive judgements. That would seem reasonable rather seeking dismissals across the whole Club.
I'm well aware.
My point being players who were here last year should be at the stage now where they're excelling, allowing Matondo, Colak, Tillman, Yilmaz, Davies and Lawrence time to bed in. I don't think that has happened. Do you?

I genuinely think its a matter of time before he goes, even if we win the league games coming up i would still fear the games against them because of the style of play

The problems Rangers face have not appeared in the last 8 games, theyve been there for some considerable time.

He should be gone. It's clear he's not a good manager and that is not just based on yesterday's result. I don't think the players believe in him either.

Seems some are happy with that though.
Is it based on the fact that he is one of only 4 managers to take us to a European final or maybe that he managed to get us our highest ever transfer fee or maybe that he’s the first manager to get us in the CL for over a decade?

All pretty impressive for a guy the players don’t believe in, eh?

Is it based on the fact that he is one of only 4 managers to take us to a European final or maybe that he managed to get us our highest ever transfer fee or maybe that he’s the first manager to get us in the CL for over a decade?

All pretty impressive for a guy the players don’t believe in, eh?
Don't think Gio had a single thing to do with getting the highest transfer fee.

The performance from last season was without his stamp on it. As soon as he started putting his own stamp on things you can see the massive performance drop on quite a few.

As I've said on other posts. If you're happy with the performances he is getting then good for you. I don't think he looks like a good manager, at all. I don't think it looks like the players are playing for him quite often and I don't think things will improve under his boring, negative tactics and his insanely slow response times to things not working. Keeps throwing players under the bus as well I can't see that relationship improving.

Point 1: if that’s the case, why are several on here saying “if we drop one point before the World Cup he needs to go.

Point 2: “the football has been rotten since Gio came in, let’s be absolutely honest about that fact.” Your opinion: fine. The actual facts are Gio took us to a European final (fact) playing some dazzling football (opinion). That did happen and I’m not sure why it’s been forgotten early October of the following season.

That’s all from me today as that lunch isn’t going to make itself. Stay strong.

Do I seriously need to spell this out for you? People are saying that because of the recent dropped points at Easter Rd, the absolute arse raping we got from them & not to mention the sizeable gap we threw away last season to hand them the title.

I’ll reiterate this again, no one is calling for Gio’s head based on a point we may drop before Xmas, it’s an accumulation of facts based on his tender as Rangers manager.

The European run last season gave me some of the best memories of my life following Rangers. However, the league is & always will be out bread & butter & under Gio the results & football has not been what is required.

As I said previously, some fans have blind faith & I firmly believe you fall into this category.

Enjoy your prawn sandwich :p

Our supporters are spending a fortune on season tickets, away tickets, tops, kits etc and food before taking their seats and are being served up 3 courses of boring, slow turgid passages of play the inept headscratching tactics and lastly the limp defensive comments of what we've just watched. Most of the people I speak to are completely fed up, it's a good job we've got the pub that sees us through

I don't remember you, or anyone else on here for that matter, being this this outraged at the exact same point last season after failing to qualify for the UCL and had lost our first 2 Europa League games. We had the exact same number of points after 8 games as we do now in the league.

So what's the difference? Gio has got us into the UCL, something we couldn't do last year with a better squad and a manager who had been there for over 3 years and 6 transfer windows, and has the exact same league points as we did last year.

Why weren't you wanting Gerrard houdned last season as you do with Gio now yet Gio has made the more impressive start?

It clearly doesn't suit Tillman either but at the same time his body language and work ethic when he plays on the right is shocking from a professional footballer imo. Just because positionally it doesn't suit him he still has a responsibility to work hard for his teammates. He'd do well to remember that he's a loan player, he's not yet a superstar and he will have to do the donkey work if he wants to go any further in the game. He's a man short just now.

Would agree with that but just play him in the position he's been most effective for us and that's either as an 8 or a 10 been enough evidence before last night it doesn't work playing Tillman on the right.

Don't think Gio had a single thing to do with getting the highest transfer fee.

The performance from last season was without his stamp on it. As soon as he started putting his own stamp on things you can see the massive performance drop on quite a few.

As I've said on other posts. If you're happy with the performances he is getting then good for you. I don't think he looks like a good manager, at all. I don't think it looks like the players are playing for him quite often and I don't think things will improve under his boring, negative tactics and his insanely slow response times to things not working. Keeps throwing players under the bus as well I can't see that relationship improving.
So he’s responsibly for players playing badly but not for getting performances out of a someone that convinced a top team to pay £20m+ after one good season?

Doesn’t add up mate.

Now before I start, I never expected us to get anything last night so this is not based solely on the result last night.

His tactics in SpHell….. I am actually struggling to think of games in the league that I’ve came away from thinking, that was a brilliant performance. Last game at hearts and hearts again in Scottish cup final. Apart from that I’m actually struggling.

The 2 ragdollings by the Tim’s? Enough said…yet another away day that we just sat back n took it.

It’s like when we know we gonna get pressured and teams are gonna start fast against us, we set up in the way that will allow the opposition to do exactly that.

The players look like they can’t be arsed but I think it’s down to the negativity of the tactics they are being asked to play.

The non progression of players, apart from King, no one has looked like they have progressed or got better.

Signings… Colak and Lawerence apart, I know Davies due to injury but the rest have been failures so far and that’s including last season…Diallo and Ramsay

Why no Dutch players? We have 3 Dutch coaches, between them surely 1 could have pointed out a youngster or a hidden gem to pick up from the Dutch league surely? No?

Constantly playing players out of position. Tillman on the wing, is like playing with 10 men. Matondo on the left last night where he played all last season looked a different player.

His stubbornness to just keep playing the same way, plan A is to do Plan A with a few like for like subs. He actually gives me warburton vibes.

When questioned in press conferences on tactics he gets very defensive, last night I think Joshua Barrie asked him about Matondo on the left and would we try this in league and his response is he’s played there once in league…that’s not what he asked he asked will we try him there going forward which takes me to my next point….

To loyal to certain players, Kent…other managers would have swapped it up and took him out team as he’s so far off form it’s unreal that’s to name but 1.

The GK fiascal…..enough said, which also ties in with recruitment.

This champions league run….we are in a horrendous group, let’s not kid ourselves on but the performance levels have just been mwah….

Ajax away, 1st half we made them look like Brazil, we just sat off and just let them pump us, we were so passive it was unreal, we were lucky to get away with the score line we did.

Napoli much better because we tried to take the game to them, we lose Sands (look to playing players out of position) and we can’t then do that with 10 and crumble.

Liverpool…We set up to get beat last night in my eyes, just sat back n took what was gonna get given, no in there faces, no press, so passive, passing and control horrendous especially 1st half…. we just sat back n took it, I’m not saying we’d have got anything from the game if we had did these 3 things right last night but I’d rather go out fighting than with a whimper….

So what do we do? How much time do we give him? Me personally if we go more than 2 points behind them before the break for the World Cup he should be out the door, that’s just my opinion but what do you think?
Doubt anything will ever significantly improve under Gio unfortunately. He will be sacked or resign if or when it it becomes clear Rangers won't win the league

We can get rid of him all we want but the core of our dressing room needs a clear out. Over the distance, they don’t have the guts or the metal for title challenges or high pressure games. This is the personality of the group. Nothing will change really when Gio leaves. We will probably get the new manager bounce for a month or so, then business as usual.

They have proved that, one title win from Tav, Morelos, Kent, Goldson, Arfield and Kamara demonstrates this- they are a soft touch who are capable of a lot more but sadly don’t have the mentality or in some cases, the desire for it.

I am not saying all have to go but majority need replaced to bring a different mentality to our dressing room.

Back