Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Realistically he is one, perhaps two at most, league defeats from fans unrest, harsh but true.

I think there is an unspoken truth that the majority of fans have little faith in him as the man to take us forward.

In Scotland, where we expect Rangers to be on the front foot in all games bar Celtic, Gio is far too cautious, too safe with an eye on defence. The football in the main, is tedious, at times downright boring.

If he can turn thing around, great but think that would require a complete turnaround in Gio's management style, therefore cannot see that happening.

Last edited:
We are in the league Cup, have qualified for the champions league and are two points behind the scum having had a far tougher run games including sharkhied away.
A very noisy element of the support is very angry with him about a lot of things. These are the guys who think they speak for all Rangers fans.
A far larger section of the support is just vaguely pissed off with how things are going at the club in general.
But the results are very good and he is not going to be sacked anytime soon.
I honestly feel if we have a better run of injuries and the new signings settle we will win the league.
I also have a lot more faith that Gio can win a cup than I ever did that Steve G would.
That said if the injury list doesn't improve we probably won't win a thing and Gio will be gone at the end of the season.
This nosiy element are like coiled springs iching to go mental about anything and everything.

They seem to have deluded themselves into thinking this gets them staunch points when really it's just a riddy.

A five man defence when the opposition are playing Salah, Diaz, Jota and Nunez. Also a five man defence which includes, historically, two of our most potent attacking threats in Tav and Barasic. And finally, a five man defence up against players who are streets ahead of them in terms of talent and natural ability.

I also wouldn’t play Davis. I would like to see Tillman be allowed to control our midfield. But if we’d lost doing that it would be “why are we putting a kid in the middle of the park in such a big game?”
A 5 man defence means we couldn't get up the park and that's what happened, playing S Davis from the start bonkers with Jack and arfield on bench ,tillman out wide bonkers. Etc etc

Hearts showed significant improvements. We got everything spot on.

Last night is against a team that are normally fighting for winning the champions league, and at a stadium which is renowned for being one of the toughest in world football. We have been spoiled in recent years with great European runs but let’s take a step back and realise we are playing in a competition, and in particular an extremely tough group, that is beyond our level at the moment.

I’m happy with Gio just now as long as we continue to see similar performances in the domestic games. We have players beginning to return from injury and no doubt that’s played a part in our struggles so far.

The constant witch hunts against our own managers and players is so exhausting, and actually does effect the team too. Let’s turn things around, and push for 56.

The guy is 2 points behind, nobody in their right mind would sack a manager in that position in rightly so.

Literally not lost a single game domestically to anyone other than celtic over a year in.

FF isn't really life, it's full of mental trying to outdo each other on who can be most pissed off at anything and everything.

Gio is winning us this league.
Bang on.

Celtic game in January. Must win or goodbye

Scrap that.

If Celtic regain/extend their 5 point lead then he should be gone at that point, which will likely be before the next OF.

If we wait until a defeat in that game the league will be done. Any new manager needs some sort of chance to win us something this year.

Regular humpings in the league to the Tim’s, not won in 90 minutes against them since Gerrard, he lost a 6 point lead in the league to them. He is Currently sitting 2nd again. He has a worse away record than Pedro Caixinha ( less than 50%). The team has no urgency now, lack of belief ( understandable as he came out and said to the world press they are second rate and can’t compete).

But you didn’t need me to explain all that. And aye he did get us to a europa final, but end of the day we didn’t win it.

Scrap that.

If Celtic regain/extend their 5 point lead then he should be gone at that point, which will likely be before the next OF.
We’ve just beaten hearts 4-0 away from home, whilst they got beat 2-0 off the mighty St Mirren and struggled over the line at home to Motherwell, having to take a red card to stop it finishing 2-2. They look more likely to drop points than we do. Especially looking at the run of games before the break.

I've read this whole thread and haven't seen anyone raise concerns about an issue I find under GVB both domestically and in the CL. There is a key deficiency in what I've been watching that hasn't specifically been mentioned so far.

What kind of football is Gio trying to get us playing? Because I can't work it out.

I could see the Gerrard/Beale style and appreciate, especially in Europe, for example, our smooth transition into shape when the opposition had the ball. I could also see our struggles to break down packed defences. I could understand it.

The scum under Postecoglou set out to attack early and relentlessly with fast movement of the ball. I get what they're doing.

The dross in the SPFL set up two banks of defenders and "park the bus" (against us and them).

What are we trying to do? What kind of team are we trying to be?

Almost a year under GVB and if someone asked me to describe what the "Rangers way" of playing is under GVB- I couldn't. I could tell them about the "horse shoe". I could tell them about the "keep the zero" concept. Both are repeatedly and predictably unsuccessful. But I genuinely don't see the vision. I don't know what - in the "this is how Rangers play" sense - he's trying to do.

Maybe others smarter than me can understand and explain.

That doesn't take away the poor performances and results from us. We held an advantage and put in some shockers. A must win at home to Celtic and we didn't turn up. Thumped at Celtic Park, draw at Aberdeen (Aberdeen were awful), draw at Ross County, draw at Tannadice, home to Motherwell.
Dropping points is normal. The hystrionics from our fans and their form is not. I'm sure his win record will compare very favourably.

I think he should be he's not the answer
I’m still struggling to see why, at this point.
Also, I can’t think of an affordable replacement.
Of course, we might get lucky and find somebody like the scum have.
Then again, we tried that with Pedro.
I’m not suggesting we stick with an unsuccessful manager , just that he hasn’t been unsuccessful yet.

We are going backwards and have been for a while

his team selections and formations have been shocking

looks to me like the players have given up on him

getting battered by the poets showed he had learnt nothing from the last game at the shitdome as it was a carbon copy

World Cup break would be a good time to change the manager

We’ve just beaten hearts 4-0 away from home, whilst they got beat 2-0 off the mighty St Mirren and struggled over the line at home to Motherwell, having to take a red card to stop it finishing 2-2. They look more likely to drop points than we do. Especially looking at the run of games before the break.

Well let's hope you're right.

I still stand by my original point.

And then he plays Tillman again in that same position that he should have learned would not work. Leaves it until the game is gone as usual - doing nothing except watching that unfold like a shop window mannequin. He gets these big away games wrong mostly right from the start - and then waits around until the other team has won and is cantering around before making a sub.

We weren’t playing an ‘elite level’ team at Parkhead and it was the same negative attitude and performance that day. Whether it’s the tims or Liverpool we don’t appear to know what we are doing tactically.

Yeah the Tillman experiment on the right doesn't work I'm guessing he plays him there cause he's decent in the air and can be used as an outfall but he's an attacking midfield player so play him in the middle. It's just another example of him not learning from a mistake he's quite arrogant as well so it's probably why he doesn't change or address it all. I can't listen to him anymore and haven't done so since the Napoli game.

A 5 man defence means we couldn't get up the park and that's what happened, playing S Davis from the start bonkers with Jack and arfield on bench ,tillman out wide bonkers. Etc etc
I honestly don’t believe we were going to get “up the park” an awful lot last night regardless of personnel or tactics without risking an absolute doing.

It’s primitive perhaps, but long balls over the top to Matondo and Sakala to use pretty much the only speed we have in the squad would have been my suggestion. In my heart of hearts, I don’t think that would have made much difference.

I’m still struggling to see why, at this point.
Also, I can’t think of an affordable replacement.
Of course, we might get lucky and find somebody like the scum have.
Then again, we tried that with Pedro.
I’m not suggesting we stick with an unsuccessful manager , just that he hasn’t been unsuccessful yet.
Agreed there will be someone out there tho who thinks this would be a great opportunity

I’d love to see him turn it around but I can’t see it… players have checked out, he isn’t getting what he needs from them - and for a variety of reasons whatever we did in the transfer window over the summer didn’t result in a squad of players who are able to carry out what he wants.

This is a difficult club to manage, we are built on domestic success and dominance… but we aspire to a European glory. The trouble is that achieving both is almost impossible and while last season we were so tantalisingly close to European success that most could forgive the faltering league campaign… when you are floundering in the league and in Europe as a Rangers manager then you are in big trouble.

We’ll forgive European failure if we are competing or winning in the league.
We’ll tolerate poor league form for European glory in the short term.
Not doing it on either front? It’s over.

Last edited:
So that'll be a no then. You just don't want to back down and say it.
Do you not understand that it's possible to be both disappointed with our performances and simultaneously not think that immediately binning the manager is the answer or in any way a progressive step to take at this point?

If you don't, i refer you to my previous response.

How would attract a quality manager when we sack our current manager for being 2 points off the top of the league in Oct. :rolleyes:

Nobody is walking into a job when that gets you the sack.
It's an easy answer we are rangers, being second is not good enough anyone not willing to take the job on that basis shouldn't be in contention anyway!

What have we improved on from last season.

- signings
- philosophy/game plan/decision making/set up
- players stepping up a level
- fitness
- improving weak areas of the park; defence, midfield, goals we are conceding, organisation, discipline, ability to score goals. Some players have regressed
- belief, attitude, desire, work rate, commitment, passion, hunger

None of the above have seen an improvement. The performances have been worse, the set up, man management, game plan, style of play awful. Not one player can hold their hand up and genuinely say they have been playing well or consistently - Čolak possibly as he's scoring regularly but his all round play at times has been poor but that's more on the set up, they way the manager want's us to play and service.

We didn't even learn from last seasons trip to Parkhead. The same negative, unorganised, head scratching set up, performance, attitude and display. The piss poor set up at set pieces (zonal marking that we kept for too long). Basic errors and mistakes all over the park, chopping between the keepers.

I’d love to see him turn it around but I can’t see it… players have checked out, he isn’t getting what he needs from them - and for a variety of reasons whatever we did in the transfer window over the summer didn’t result in a squad of players who are able to carry out what he wants.

This is a difficult club to manage, we are built on domestic success and dominance… but we aspire to a European glory. The trouble is that achieving both is almost impossible and while last season we were so tantalisingly close to European success that most could forgive the faltering league campaign… what you are floundering in the league and in Europe as a Rangers manager then you are in big trouble.

We’ll forgive European failure if we are competing or winning in the league.
We’ll tolerate poor league form for European glory in the short term.
Not doing it on either front? It’s over.
We're 2 points behind in the league FFS. If you seriously thought we were getting out this group, then your delusional.

I've read this whole thread and haven't seen anyone raise concerns about an issue I find under GVB both domestically and in the CL. There is a key deficiency in what I've been watching that hasn't specifically been mentioned so far.

What kind of football is Gio trying to get us playing? Because I can't work it out.

I could see the Gerrard/Beale style and appreciate, especially in Europe, for example, our smooth transition into shape when the opposition had the ball. I could also see our struggles to break down packed defences. I could understand it.

The scum under Postecoglou set out to attack early and relentlessly with fast movement of the ball. I get what they're doing.

The dross in the SPFL set up two banks of defenders and "park the bus" (against us and them).

Almost a year under GVB and if someone asked me to describe what the "Rangers way" of playing is under GVB- I couldn't. I could tell them about the "horse shoe". I could tell them about the "keep the zero" concept. Both are repeatedly and predictably unsuccessful. But I genuinely don't see the vision. I don't know what - in the "this is how Rangers play" sense - he's trying to do.

There is Rangers way, or Gio way, in my opinion.
This “I cannot identify with or recognise his style” is claptrap.
Last season, he’d change tactics and style during the game as many times.

Ive said it since the start of the season, our fans would not be able to handle a poor Champions League campaign. Well, the online mentalists anyway. Doesn't matter if its the first time in this competition in over a decade, the lunatics want wins and fantastic performances and if they don't get it then everyone needs sacked and replaced.

Anyone with half a brain can see the team is struggling. This is natural after the Europa league Final last season. It takes squads/management teams time to recover from that. Look at Liverpool this season.

Lost the Champions League final and then lost one of, if not their most important player in Mane. Have had a poor start to the season and trying to adjust to their new players/way of playing.

Its the exact same with us. We lost Aribo and Bassey and still trying to adjust to not only our new players but also playing against the absolute elite and are struggling. Its totally normal.

Do the people of FF ever take time to think we may still be feeling the after effects of last season? No. Do people on here think that we may be struggling to adjust to new players and a major step up in opposition and it'll take time? No.

Too many of you can't see beyond you own noses.
Using Liverpool as a benchmark to our failings is hardly like for like is it?

When people people ask this question, they inevitably know themselves, they’re just looking for some back up.

He will be given until January and if we’re still in this title race, then unfortunately for some, he will be here till the summer.

Hearts showed significant improvements. We got everything spot on.

Last night is against a team that are normally fighting for winning the champions league, and at a stadium which is renowned for being one of the toughest in world football. We have been spoiled in recent years with great European runs but let’s take a step back and realise we are playing in a competition, and in particular an extremely tough group, that is beyond our level at the moment.

I’m happy with Gio just now as long as we continue to see similar performances in the domestic games. We have players beginning to return from injury and no doubt that’s played a part in our struggles so far.

The constant witch hunts against our own managers and players is so exhausting, and actually does effect the team too. Let’s turn things around, and push for 56.
If you are happy with that then fair play, we never laid a glove on a team who shipped 3 at the weekend Vs the mighty Brighton. Granted they are a top class team but we didn't match them for effort and spirit we are nothing under Gio a boring meaningless vessel sooner he's gone the better!

I think where everyone is at is that Gio has our players believing they’ll get beat every time we play a better opposition. We’re any of them staring and gnarling at the Liverpool players in the tunnel, nope our guys wee more interested in getting an agreement as to whose top they were going to exchange after the match. Totally unacceptable.

He’s certainly doing his best with this playing a 37 yo Davis in there last night and totally throwing Tillman under a bus, the lad is never in a million years a right winger.

The white flag waving after the Ajax demolition has set the tone for the remaining games it seems to me.

The wrong team/formation going on the pitch knowing their coach thinks it’s a waste of time.

It won’t be a sackable offence for him but it was demoralising I’m sure for the squad.

To me he needs to go as more damage is going to be done. I sure don’t have any idea who to bring in though.

There is Rangers way, or Gio way, in my opinion.
This “I cannot identify with or recognise his style” is claptrap.
Last season, he’d change tactics and style during the game as many times.
Not "claptrap" from my perspective, tazza - I really don't get what the aim is under Gio. I get changing tactics during a game to respond to specific circumstances, and I've seen him do that several times (and not do that several times). I just don't get what his vision of how he wants us to play looks like.

Very well put and this is a big issue for me too.

Of course you can argue that overall style / philosophy is not that important as long as we get results and trophies. Fair enough. But surely there has to be a balance where us as fans actually enjoy watching the team in front of us, take pride in the style, individual skill and effort levels, and look forward to each and every game. Who can honestly say that is the case under Gio? And its not a new thing either, it's been the case for large parts of Gio's tenure so far...relatively stale, uninspiring performances despite what the scoreline says at the end.

Gerrard wasn't perfect by any means but one of his main mantras was "send the fans home happy". And you always felt he truly meant it, that him and his coaching team set us up to play fast, energetic, pressing football that was not only effective but entertaining too (for the most part). Compare and contrast with gio's "keep the zero" mantra, where slow, deliberate possession is king no matter how far away from the opponents goal that may be and our attacking threat is reduced to the bare minimum in the really crucial games.

I agree he won't be sacked this season, regardless of how things go from here. Huge amount of credit in the bank from the board and they'll be reluctant to change anything unless absolutely necessary. And I get that we're still right in the mix for the league, not giving up on anything yet and every chance we can grind our way to the title. But if we don't and this season bring zero success along with no marked change or improvement in overall style of play/ enjoyment levels... then as nice a guy as gio is (and I beat the man no ill will whatsoever), he'll surely be a goner.

If you are happy with that then fair play, we never laid a glove on a team who shipped 3 at the weekend Vs the mighty Brighton. Granted they are a top class team but we didn't match them for effort and spirit we are nothing under Gio a boring meaningless vessel sooner he's gone the better!
Brighton are 4th in the Premier League and have a squad worth about £250 million.

We're 2 points behind in the league FFS. If you seriously thought we were getting out this group, then your delusional.
It’s the league form this calendar year.. we don’t play with purpose, we struggle to dominate matches, we rarely score more than 2 or 3 goals.

We’ve had our nose badly bloodied by our only rivals for the league a couple of times and seem to have learned nothing from it.

Our players largely look dis-engaged.

If you think observations about league form comes down to counting the difference in points between us & Celtic this morning then that is up to you - but it is overly simplistic.

In terms of the Champions League.. yes the group is awful from the perspective of seeking to qualify.
The concern is how meekly we have approached these matches.
We’ve played a host of good opponents in Europe over the last 4 years or so and taken the game to them, applied ourselves and played with passion & desire - it’s led us to play above ourselves at times.
None of that in the last 3 matches. Yet 8 months ago the same set of players were taking the game to Dortmund away from home and utterly tanking them.

Something is badly wrong.

I like Gio.. I’m still marginally pointing more at the players than the manager just now but either way, we are toiling badly.

There’s a lack of purpose about everything just now and it gives me concern for what this season can turn out to be.

Last edited:
I think where everyone is at is that Gio has our players believing they’ll get beat every time we play a better opposition. We’re any of them staring and gnarling at the Liverpool players in the tunnel, nope our guys wee more interested in getting an agreement as to whose top they were going to exchange after the match. Totally unacceptable.

He’s certainly doing his best with this playing a 37 yo Davis in there last night and totally throwing Tillman under a bus, the lad is never in a million years a right winger.
Agreed last night was Ryan jack or kamara time he plays Davis, sakala for all his faults is a better option than tillman right wing.

I think Celtic result against St Mirren is painting a false picture and has given him a get out, if we lose the next old firm game and we are still behind or further behind in the league he goes for me

2 points off the pace in the league despite an extremely tough schedule of games.

Qualification for the CL against a very good PSV side and a Belgian side who finished second last year.

The game at the piggery was terrible and I have said all along that if we ended the first quarter worse than the 5 points we were tracking at, I would have said he’s a dead man walking as there would have been no wiggle room.

The domestic performances have not been brilliant but within them, we have won 3 of them 4-0 and only lost at parkhead.

There is a lunatic fringe on here that are demanding he is sacked, they will demand the next manager is sacked and so on.

The bottom line is, he doesn’t deserve to be sacked. The suggestion the players are not playing for him is also bollocks
There are a chunk on here who remind me of the Celtic support , thinking they should win every game, playing cavalier football and screaming when they don’t.
If the lunatics get their way we will end up like them in the early 90’s going through a manager very 6-8 months , gradually getting a worse standard of applicant because they know a sacking is the end result.
As for the domestic stuff a Collum performance off being joint top.
As for the supposed shit football they obviously were not around for Walters teams. We’re we were crap but had more money than the other clubs and got grubbed by absolute shite in Europe season after season.

Excellent post, we have over achieved so much in Europe over the last few years, that was never going to last forever, especially with the step up in class from the EL and CL.

It was always going to happen when that team started to see important players leave.

We have had the best European runs, or consistent performances at least, in our History since 2018. 4 years of punching above our weight in the EL and we have been so spoiled, no more so than last season. One of the best years I have ever had following rangers.

The step up to the UCL was always going to be massive. Especially for a team in a bit of a transitional period like we are. It should be a bit of a free hit for the manager and the squad as we aren't used to this level.

Our fans though, mostly online thankfully, refuse to acknowledge any of this and as usual want their pound of flesh.

Last edited:
Brighton are 4th in the Premier League and have a squad worth about £250 million. And have Shane Duffy! They are not a good side I'd fancy this poor rangers team to beat them. Point being we are piss poor in our set up with gio. I'd expect to put up a fight it was passive remanicint of Barca at Ibrox but with less dig against a worse side that Barca team where one the the greatest ever.

There are a chunk on here who remind me of the Celtic support , thinking they should win every game, playing cavalier football and screaming when they don’t.
If the lunatics get their way we will end up like them in the early 90’s going through a manager very 6-8 months , gradually getting a worse standard of applicant because they know a sacking is the end result.
As for the domestic stuff a Collum performance off being joint top.
As for the supposed shit football they obviously were not around for Walters teams. We’re we were crap but had more money than the other clubs and got grubbed by absolute shite in Europe season after season.
We are not at Liverpool's level but we could match them for commitment we didn't do that, that's why folk are pissed off!

Using Liverpool as a benchmark to our failings is hardly like for like is it?

I wasn't using them as a benchmark, I meant more with regards to how the highs of a previous season, and the loss of influential players, can affect the next. Especially early on in the season.

It happens all the time in football.

Celtic losing at St Mirren maybe reminds us that this is a league programme where, occasionally, everything doesn’t go to plan and that losing points is something that happens over a season.

FF seems now to be a board where a dropped point necessitates the sacking of a manager and even a 4-0 win at Tynecastle is scorned because the football was a bit boring.

Regarding your 1st point, I don’t think anyone is naive enough to think this team or any team in any league will not drop points over the course of the season. The issue is, this manager & coaching staff don’t seem to learn from the mistakes of previous games where they have dropped points.

Gio has literally came out & said he will not change his style, that comment alone is a glaring indictment of the problems we have.

With regards to the 2nd point, the football has been rotten since Gio has came in, let’s be absolutely honest about that fact. No fan is calling for Gio’s head after a 4-0 win at Tynecastle because the football was rotten on that 1 occasion.

Back