Club being sued for £1.6m over Oz friendly

To be fair, and I am by no means a fan of him, its his job to bring it to the table, the CEO will have signed off on it.

This is on Robertson and no one else, Bisgrove will bring opportunities to the board, give them the numbers and then if it is at a certain revenue level it will need signed off from the board who should be taking the risks and rewards into account.

The only thing Bisgrove has done wrong in all this is try and come out and bluff his way through it, no doubt pushed out by Robertson who seems immune to scrutiny or actually telling the fans why he is making decisions he makes, which doesn't make it right.

Agreed. Bisgrove clearly doing his job while others above him didn't.

I'd say that they may be liable but are not to blame.

Put it this way are you blaming the fans for missing out on 3 million+ income?

I've seen people discussing squad depth and the need for players. Spent wisely that could have brought in two, would it have helped with financial fair play? Would sponsors have made the income at the tournie even better?

I'm not getting into the ins and outs, but I was not as against the friendly tournie as a lot of others, I see comments about how much the scum are spending on players, and that's maybe a reason why.

You can't have it both ways, the Board pulled out at the fans behest.

That's just my opinion.
The fans pile plenty money into the club.

Mygers alone would pay this fine.

Let's not blame the fans for the state of the squad as well.

Who won the Sydney Cup ? I'd imagine if it was them the SMSM would have had a 10 page souvenir supplement
This isn’t me being anti Celtic or anything, but I live in Sydney and I’ve literally got no idea. Didn’t see any press coverage, all I saw was the free tickets available through the school.
Total non event.

100%. The board didn’t read the room. Crazy decision but even then if they’d communicated better from the start this could have been avoided.
The board were made aware by people within the club what the reaction would be and chose to ignore it which is even worse.

I know Bisgroves remit mate but, clearly this Sydney cup was always going to be a non starter and you'd only need to have worked with us gir even a short period of time to know Bisgrove should have booted this idea.

But then he isn't doing his job.

He has to deliver the proposal to the board, even more so if the revenue is in the millions.

Reports suggest Daily Record

Let’s wait and see, those 4 words above hardly have a great success rate. When court papers are live they are publicly available so why is it reports and suggest?

Dave wants the information out now before the AGM - that much is clear.

This isn't actually Bisgroves fault imo. He finds or is pitched the opportunity and is duty bound to tell the board. The board then make the decision. He's not got enough clout to do it alone. The real issue is that his commercial department isn't fit for purpose. They are a shambles.

Spending more money on legal fees than players,If it wasn’t so sickening it would be funny,
Feels like we are indirectly giving money to the fhilth.

Dave was the leader.
Possibly but some of those in our boardroom today were involved in this.

Blair’s integrity was questioned in court IIRC so the idea that it’s all King’s fault and all those around him should be excused doesn’t wash given they remain as part of the decision makers to the present day.

That not one person resigned over the many farcical decisions which is costing us a fortune in court cases is staggering arrogance

If you had know it would have cost £1.6M would you still have wanted it canned ?

In a word - yes.

In a few more words - yes, as it should teach the board to not be so utterly delusional and naïve in the future.

Cmon to fck. A friendly against that lot in Australia was already an EPL tourist league tinpotty move for a start.

But adding in playing second fiddle to super saint Ange's pyoor big didgeridoo-tooting homecoming should've been the indicator that they truly fecked things up.

The idea that no one - absolutely no one - in a position of power saw the reaction from fans coming just won't wash. Scandalous from all involved.

A million miles out of touch.

And they should be paying every penny of it. It's their fck up, they can pay it.

I'm not, in the same way I'm not blaming the Board for the fine.

I think I'm pretty clear on that.
The board ARE to blame for the fine as they started the whole mess in the first place. The fans are not to blame for the absolute stupidity of entering into a friendly with Celtic and playing second fiddle to them.

I'd say that they may be liable but are not to blame.

Put it this way are you blaming the fans for missing out on 3 million+ income?

I've seen people discussing squad depth and the need for players. Spent wisely that could have brought in two, would it have helped with financial fair play? Would sponsors have made the income at the tournie even better?

I'm not getting into the ins and outs, but I was not as against the friendly tournie as a lot of others, I see comments about how much the scum are spending on players, and that's maybe a reason why.

You can't have it both ways, the Board pulled out at the fans behest.

That's just my opinion.
Fans have bought mygers memberships en masse, bought add ons, refused refunds we were due from the 19/20 season

Fans have stuck their hands in their pockets regularly and paid premium prices for tickets etc during that period. This was entirely down to the board, not the fans

To be fair, and I am by no means a fan of him, its his job to bring it to the table, the CEO will have signed off on it.

This is on Robertson and no one else, Bisgrove will bring opportunities to the board, give them the numbers and then if it is at a certain revenue level it will need signed off from the board who should be taking the risks and rewards into account.

The only thing Bisgrove has done wrong in all this is try and come out and bluff his way through it, no doubt pushed out by Robertson who seems immune to scrutiny or actually telling the fans why he is making decisions he makes, which doesn't make it right.
He also hasn't grown up as part of the rivalry here, so it's understandable that he might have misjudged the feeling. The board should have known better.

According to the record.

This is one bill which if it turns out is payable to the organisers, should be paid by the full board personally that signed off on this.

This simply shouldn’t be paid out of the club funds for what was an absolutely shocking idea.

I also struggle to see what our defence will be to avoid paying it as we all know they only withdrew due to severe opposition from the fans.

Absolutely criminal how much of our limited funds we’ve pissed away in court cases. Must be close to £15m to SD alone over the years and that’s not taking into account this new one, Hummel/Elite amongst others.
It’s a total shambles, no wonder we haven’t had the funds to properly back managers.

Cowboys in the commercial world.

In a word - yes.

In a few more words - yes, as it should teach the board to not be so utterly delusional and naïve in the future.

Cmon to fck. A friendly against that lot in Australia was already an EPL tourist league tinpotty move for a start.

But adding in playing second fiddle to super saint Ange's pyoor big didgeridoo-tooting homecoming should've been the indicator that they truly fecked things up.

The idea that no one - absolutely no one - in a position of power saw the reaction from fans coming just won't wash. Scandalous from all involved.

A million miles out of touch.

And they should be paying every penny of it. It's their fck up, they can pay it.
Exactly this. Volunteering to bend over for the team who tried to kill us to allow them to celebrate their manager at our expense is up there with the worst decision any Rangers board has ever made.

I'm also very, very sceptical that we would have made anything like £5m out of a few friendlies.

The board ARE to blame for the fine as they started the whole mess in the first place. The fans are not to blame for the absolute stupidity of entering into a friendly with Celtic and playing second fiddle to them.

See I don't want to get in too deeply on my opinions on the Australia friendly. My point was and I will reiterate it, is that we cannot have it both ways.

Next year it could have been a friendly in the USA and 10 million income, but we will never know.

I just think it's unfair to continually bash the board when they have essentially listened to the majority and given them what they wanted.

See I don't want to get in too deeply on my opinions on the Australia friendly. My point was and I will reiterate it, is that we cannot have it both ways.

Next year it could have been a friendly in the USA and 10 million income, but we will never know.

I just think it's unfair to continually bash the board when they have essentially listened to the majority and given them what they wanted.
Nobody would want it for any amount of money.

They gave them what they wanted after all the uproar. They fvcked up by thinking it was a good idea in the first place.

This board are supposed to be Rangers men yet thought the fans would happily go along with being a pawn in Anges Australia tournament?

Any cost incurred after this shitshow is 100% on the board and not the fans. To suggest otherwise is just lunacy.

The root cause of this is the decision to sign up for the friendly in the first place. That’s completely on the board.

The AGM should be uncomfortable for them.

The day this mob running us get away the better.

Destroying our club on and off the pitch since 55 they don’t give a f*ck.

We’d be f*cked not making europe for court fees alone.

Absolutely, yes. Mygers is worth £2m+ a season when including add ons.

There’s some things you don’t do for money and playing Celtic in a friendly is at the top of the list
Spot on.

In a way I’m glad this has resurfaced just before the AGM. There needs to be questions asked as to why they would be so naive to get into bed with them in the first place.

Let's be honest this is the least surprising news. The board fucked up agreeing to this and we as the fans wanted out of it. So it is what it is, fight it or pay up either way its pointless losing our shit over it all again.

Thank f.ck we stopped their 10.

Hard to be optimistic at the moment.
Hard times ahead unless Beale does wonders.
Fling in the memorial garden case £1 million as well. Shirt price fixing.

A year ago they handed our a 3.5 year deal to GVB and the same yesterday.
7 years in total, who lasts that in football and especially the old firm.
The board , Ross Wilson and Robertson are not fit for purpose.

of course, we are, they've realised they haven't made as much as they thought they would, and we are an easy target and scapegoat

The board were made aware by people within the club what the reaction would be and chose to ignore it which is even worse.
We needed the money now we have probably lost money. If they had said we don’t want this but the funds are vital to us then maybe the reaction would have differed?
personally I opposed it but I can see the financial argument

Who won the Sydney Cup ? I'd imagine if it was them the SMSM would have had a 10 page souvenir supplement

I have a vague recollection of an article about there being a penalty shoot-out with Nathan Patterson wanting to take one and converting it to win - so, Everton?

If the Australian support were happy to go along with being second fiddle to Anges homecoming then that says more about them than the wider support.
All they wanted to do was see the Rangers, live.
You know, instead of eight, six or four even two am for midweek games or changing and cancelling work and business for midweek games.
Frankly, it says more about you and the self important who can’t acknowledge this.
The few I know knew of the baggage this game had but were prepared to put up with it just to see the Rangers.

This isn’t me being anti Celtic or anything, but I live in Sydney and I’ve literally got no idea. Didn’t see any press coverage, all I saw was the free tickets available through the school.
Total non event.
Having to give away free tickets negates their £1.6 million claim

We can’t have it both ways?

No, the board can’t have it both ways. Record revenue, highest EL/CL ticket pricing, ST price increases, hospitality price increases, mygers as a ticket tax, mygers add ons, the 19/20 refund debacle and the clubs behaviour throughout. I could go on…

The fans have consistently put our hands in our pockets and backed the club. That reported £3m for the friendly is just slightly more than what mygers membership, add ons and rangers tv generate each year.

Fans have the right to criticise, it’s got nothing do with having it both ways

You know, instead of eight, six or four even two am for midweek games or changing and cancelling work and business for midweek games.
Frankly, it says more about you and the self important who can’t acknowledge this.
The few I know knew of the baggage this game had but were prepared to put up with it just to see the Rangers.
That’s why it’s easily resolved by Rangers going to play in Aus against any other side.

Nobody would want it for any amount of money.
Exactly. No amount of money is worth it. Not to mention the yahoos would be getting at least the same amount as we would (if not more, knowing our board) so it's not like we're getting an advantage over them.

I refuse to believe there aren't other high profile friendlies we could play that wouldn't also benefit the scum.

I have no issue with going to play friendlies over there but certainly not in Celtics wee tournament. No chance.

At the end of the day, you move to Australia then you have got to expect you won’t see a team from Glasgow in many matches.

We can’t have it both ways?

No, the board can’t have it both ways. Record revenue, highest EL/CL ticket pricing, ST price increases, hospitality price increases, mygers as a ticket tax, mygers add ons, the 19/20 refund debacle and the clubs behaviour throughout. I could go on…

The fans have consistently put our hands in our pockets and backed the club. That reported £3m for the friendly is just slightly more than what mygers membership, add ons and rangers tv generate each year.

Fans have the right to criticise, it’s got nothing do with having it both ways
That’s before we even add on Clusterfuck Travel Management and the kit price fixing scandal!

Back