Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-0 Bayern Munich, Cup-Winners Cup SF, 19th April 1972. Goal scorers Sandy Jardine and Derek Parlane celebrate in the Ibrox dressing room:

s00qyR3.jpg

St Johnstone 3-3 Rangers, Scottish Cup, 14th February 1981. Colin Jackson sinks to his knees in celebration as Ian Redford's injury time goal earns Rangers a replay. Gers went on to win the cup:

7wFFTcW.jpg
I'm sure we had a goal disallowed just before this last minute equaliser, we won the replay 3-1 with a young Ally McCoist scoring against us

Reactions: ao2
I'm sure we had a goal disallowed just before this last minute equaliser, we won the replay 3-1 with a young Ally McCoist scoring against us

We did, only about a minute or two before this last gasp equaliser. I slept in and missed the bus for this game and had to put up with listening on the radio. It wasn't even our game that was on, it was Morton v Aberdeen, and I can still remember feeling sick as we went from 2-0 up to 3-2 down and then them saying we'd had a goal disallowed and there were only seconds to go. When that photo was taken I was literally dancing around the room in celebration too lol.

Rangers 5-0 Hibernian, 21st September 1963. Simpson saves this one from Jim Forrest:

0WFgqAP.jpg
An 18 year old Jim Forrest only managed one goal that day.
It was his 15th Goal in 12 games since the season opener, when he scored twice in a 3-0 win at the Piggery.
He would celebrate his 19th Birthday the following day.
His next 6 domestic games he would add a further 12 Goals, including 4 in the League Cup Final.
Not a bad start for the promising youngster, in for the injured Jimmy Millar.

Rangers 1-1 Hibernian, 28th February 1987. I was at this game but have no memory of the fire in the Main Stand (a flare?)!

My memories of this game are of Alan Rough playing out of his skin for them (as he often did against Rangers, not so against the scum) but us still going top that day as they lost 4-1 at Dens Park after being ahead at half-time. We never lost the lead the rest of the season and won the league for the first time in 9 years:

1mRpGqF.jpg
It was the hibs casuals that fired the flare into the stand

Rangers 3-0 Celtic - 1st November 1980. Willie Johnston hasn't scored here but he's just as happy with his assist. He always did enjoy a win over the scum did Bud!:

Ha4LRwG.jpg
He loved to play against them. One of my most favoured moments was when he sat on the ball against them in the 1970 League Cup final. Wonderful moment!

He also did that against Bayern but sadly I've never saw a pic of him doing it that day against Celtic.

Rangers 3-0 Celtic - 1st November 1980. Willie Johnston hasn't scored here but he's just as happy with his assist. He always did enjoy a win over the scum did Bud!:

Ha4LRwG.jpg
just to sum up how things were back then,this magnificent slaying of the enablers came 3 days after we had been humiliated in a 3-0 defeat at chesterfield, we were capable of great performances, but we could turn in some absolute dross as well,we never really knew which Rangers were gonna show up from one week to the next

Rangers 2-2 Celtic, Glasgow Cup Final, 10th May 1975. The cup was shared following the draw, a match watched by 70,000 (100,000 tickets were sold but bad weather cut the attendance). There's not many spaces in the Rangers end, unlike the other!:

JLHIelm.jpg
In the north enclosure that day.

just to sum up how things were back then,this magnificent slaying of the enablers came 3 days after we had been humiliated in a 3-0 defeat at chesterfield, we were capable of great performances, but we could turn in some absolute dross as well,we never really knew which Rangers were gonna show up from one week to the next
Chesterfield was the lowest of the low at the time and if I remember correctly the attendances were below the 20 k mark for many games?

Yes. I was at this one and the memory of the Chesterfield nightmare was on all our minds before kick off.

If my old man's memory is correct, he told me he was down at the Chesterfield game, then he was at Jim Watt beating Sean O'Grady on the Friday night at the Kelvin Hall and then the pumping of them on the Saturday.

Quite an eventful week!!!

Yes. I was at this one and the memory of the Chesterfield nightmare was on all our minds before kick off.

This was my first game v them and other than the fact we hammered them (we could have had another couple) my other main memory is of us chanting Jim Watt's name during the game. He'd just retained his title in the early hours before the match but the week before they'd paraded his opponent, Sean O'Grady, at the piggery and he was pictured in the papers holding up one of their scarves as they gave him their support. Being Irish-American, and with a name like O'Grady, he obviously ticked all the right boxes, right? Wrong! After the fight (which Watt won) it came out he was actually a Baptist, so they couldn't even get that right lol.

Back