Tillman v Aribo.

Tillman is the better player.

A lot of Aribo was instinctive and off the cuff. Tillman knows what’s going on and where the ball is going before he gets it.

That said, Aribo was valuable in a number of different roles (Tillman isn’t ATM) and I loved him…could light games up with his close control.

I’d love to see both in the same team
You described aribo perfect there, I always wished he was more aware of what’s going on around him, felt like he needed to make everything into a 1-1 with a defender

It took big Joe a season to settle properly and we could probably see the same with Tillman.
Joe could do very special things and regularly did. Tillman also has that capability but I think how he plays in Europe will give an idea of his ceiling.

Unfair comparison in my opinion - some similarities in style but different stages of their careers.

Aribo did some great things with Rangers and achieved wonderful things. Scored in a European final for us - only a handful of Rangers players can say they have ever done this.

I'd love to see Tillman reach this point in his career with us.

Aribo is the better player at this moment in time, of course.

I have a feeling that Tillman will go on to have the much better career though.

The Board will have to make a judgement in the not too distant future about shelling out for that potential - not an enviable task.

Flicks and passes into no mans land..

Taking a ball with a deft touch from 60 yards and finishing the chance..

I know which i prefer, every time.

Tillmans scored more and had more assists than Aribo did at any stage during the first 6 months of the season. Aribos goals and assists were really poor for one of our attackers.

People are comparing Aribo at 24/25 to Tillman at 20 year old.

Aribo is technically a very talented footballer - the ball he takes out the sky at the piggery is one of the best bits of skill I've ever seen from a Rangers player. He makes it look easy but the ability required to do that is immense. He had some great moments with us but he didn't influence games enough for the ability he has. I often thought Aribo was just too nice a boy and needed a bit of an edge to him for him to go out and dominate/embarrass opponents.

Tillman might never replicate that level of skill for us but he already more than replaced the impact that Aribo had. And he will only get better especially if we can improve the level of his teammates.

At 18 Tillman was at Bayern, at 18 Aribo was with Staines Town. Don't want to disparage Aribo as I like him but Tillman is by far a better player and it's not even close.

Aribo for his ability to keep possession. Him and Alfredo holding the ball were a huge part of our Europa run

I like Tillman though and hope we keep him

As much as I absolutely loved Aribo, Tillman’s ceiling as a 20 year old is much higher. Goal scoring I think Aribo averaged about 7/8 league goals a season. I think Tillman will top that as he’s already sitting around 5.

I honestly think we’ve still to the see the best of Tillman, some of his passes to others and runs off the ball are amazing to watch. One of the big issues is that the players around him aren’t on the same wavelength. I think this will improve with likes of Kent improving and Cantwell . If Tav was at his best, with the piercing balls Tillman can pull of, we’d be extremely dangerous down the right hand side.

Tillman will be the better player in time. Can’t compare the two as they’re at different stages, this is Tillman’s first season of first team football.

We’ll be lucky to get him on a perm deal, there will be other clubs interested.

I tend to agree with those who point out how far ahead Tillman is than Aribo was at the same age. Defensively, Aribo must be easier to defend against on account of how left footed he was. Yes, it was a wand of a left foot but it added predictability to his gameplay. Better defences and players know how to nullify that.

Tillman doesn't seem nearly as one-footed and that alone is a huge advantage. He's clearly a danger at corners - either from the Aribo near-post flick-on routine or as a candidate to score directly himself.

I frackin loved big Joe. I am growing to love big Malik and think he's worth building around. The argument of Aribo vs Tillman is likely to come down to performances against the other team. Aribo was never the difference-maker against that lot. Tillman still can be. Hopefully many times.

Tillman will probably beat Aribo's best output in terms of goals and assists in the league over a season this year.

Aribo was a very good footballer but too often lacked a bit of end product against our bread and butter.

You can argue differently in terms of Europe, but domestically I think Tillman is an upgrade. He fits out model of developing players, selling them, and upgrading them. I think Yilmaz will prove to be a better technical left back than Bassey too.

I commented on a thread a while back that Tillman reminded me of Aribo in that they seem a bit messy in a tackle but usually scramble out with the ball. If we pass up on buying Tillman I think we would regret it, as for whose better I think Tillman tip's it for me and under Beale will offer us much more in the future with a fantastic sell on profit.

Tillman is miles ahead of Aribo at same age. People seem to forget that it's his first pro season. Numbers are excellent, he also works harder than Aribo (most interceptions in our team) and is already more consistent IMO. Tillman will end up with a top 5 side in a top 3 league barring injury.

Joe Aribo scored for us in a European final and had that moment of close control ( can't remember who opponent was ) where the full of Ibrox applauded a first touch !

Does tillman have that In him?? I'd say is too easy to call

What I would say is tillman is starting his first year better than aribo did , so fingers crossed.

Tillman is a upgrade. Aribo used to frustrate the life out of me and i am not surprised he is not trusted at his new club.
On his day win you the game and stand out like a sore thumb but how many games did he hide and he also went through months of doing very little.
Tillmans stats better already and you can see what he can provide and he is getting better.

There's a tendency on here where whatever we currently have is the best. The at the start of this season that had loads of votes to say we were better after the transfer window post Bassey and Aribo signings is a good point.

Aribo was superb, Tillman hasn't at all shown to be as good for us as Aribo was. How it pans out for them over the next few is totally down to them so let's see how it pans out.

Tillman is a upgrade. Aribo used to frustrate the life out of me and i am not surprised he is not trusted at his new club.
On his day win you the game and stand out like a sore thumb but how many games did he hide and he also went through months of doing very little.
Tillmans stats better already and you can see what he can provide and he is getting better.
I think people forget how many times Aribo used to go missing, especially in old firm games where I don’t think he was ever a stand out.

As you say, on his day he was genuinely brilliant but those days weren’t as often as some would have you believe. After the AFCON he was pretty anonymous most weeks but he had played a lot of football tbf.

Really nice guy with a good attitude though and hopefully gets a move to a team that suits him rather than a rotten Southampton team.

I think people forget how many times Aribo used to go missing, especially in old firm games where I don’t think he was ever a stand out.

As you say, on his day he was genuinely brilliant but those days weren’t as often as some would have you believe. After the AFCON he was pretty anonymous most weeks but he had played a lot of football tbf.

Really nice guy with a good attitude though and hopefully gets a move to a team that suits him rather than a rotten Southampton team.

I always thought that was a bit of a myth, to be honest. Even when Aribo wasn't lighting up games, he was still putting in a shift and his numbers were good.

I love both players. It would be a gutter if we didn't get Tillman permanently at this point.

Tillman joined us when he was 20 years old with only a handful of professional appearances.

Aribo joined when he was 23 having played nearly 100 games for Charlton.

This makes it very difficult to compare the two at this stage.
That's a very good point about their backgrounds and for me emphasises how well Tillman has progressed. However despite it being difficult to compare the two at this stage there are some stats that demonstrate that Tillman is on a par with Aribo when it comes to goals and assists per game. He may even surpass him.
Personally I'm not into polarising this debate.It's a good healthy draw.I thought that Aribo was a fantastic player and I was sorry to see him go.I also think that the team very much missed his presence when he left. Tillman is doing the job on the park right now and hes doing it more than well.For me he's already there and the stats show that.
He more than deserves and has earned his first team slot in what has been a difficult season for the team.Considering the low moral and poor form at times this season he's actually been the player that I've looked to shake things up. Quite an attribute for a new signing and young man imo.
He can only get better. £5 million is a steal.

I always thought that was a bit of a myth, to be honest. Even when Aribo wasn't lighting up games, he was still putting in a shift and his numbers were good.

I love both players. It would be a gutter if we didn't get Tillman permanently at this point.
There was plenty of times people were moaning wanting him taken off or not to start in his first couple of seasons.

He always put in a shift but at times he was completely ineffective, old firm games being the prime example.

Aribo was no doubt quality and I would take him back in a heart beat but I believe Tillman has the potential to be better and is far better than Aribo was at 20.

I’d take Tillman, he imposes himself on games much more frequently and because of his quality it creates game changing moments.

Aribo could do the same but because his style doesn’t allow him to impose himself on games he relies on individual flashes to change a game….and these are less frequent.

This thread is for the most part completely ridiculous and exposes how football fans think like sheep, and struggle to think beyond their biases.

No one can predict the future - Tillman may evolve to become a beast of a player.
But as concerns comparisons Aribo vs Tillman, it's simple:

Aribo is top drawer, Tillman could become top drawer - but is not.

We were completely embarrassed in the champions league largely due to our inability to win the ball or keep it. Memories of Aribo and a at-the-races Morelos holding up the ball are now a mere memory.

If you think Tillman is better than Aribo you don't know much about football.

Aribo at 26 is a better player than Tillman.

We should be comparing them in their first season. I'd say Tillman is a better player at that time. I think people forget how inconsistent and frustrating Aribo was early doors.

Tillman is also 3 years younger than the age Aribo was when we signed him.

If Tillman keeps up his progression then I suspect he will be a better player than Aribo in a season or 2.

This thread is for the most part completely ridiculous and exposes how football fans think like sheep, and struggle to think beyond their biases.

No one can predict the future - Tillman may evolve to become a beast of a player.

We were completely embarrassed in the champions league largely due to our inability to win the ball or keep it. Memories of Aribo and a at-the-races Morelos holding up the ball are now a mere memory.

A bit of an oversimplified view of our Champions League campaign and it shouldn't be used as a reflection on young Tillman.
As for speaking about being biased and struggling to think aren't you talking about your own simplistic posts.

Last edited:
Joe Aribo scored for us in a European final and had that moment of close control ( can't remember who opponent was ) where the full of Ibrox applauded a first touch !

giphy.gif

Does tillman have that In him?? I'd say is too easy to call

What I would say is tillman is starting his first year better than aribo did , so fingers crossed.

Sorry, posted above.

For me Aribo is the far better player but has no confidence in himself. Tillmans numbers are slightly better than I thought at 6 goals and 5 assists in 33 games. He should get to double figures for both by the end of the season.
Aribo is outrageously talented but like you say, he appears to be terrified of his own shadow, which is really off for a footballer.

Tillman seems a far more functional player who turns the ability into goals and assists for teammates, or he is playing the ball in for the assist. He has impact more consistently than I think Aribo does.

This £5m option to sign is going to be a tricky one to navigate for Rangers. There are other parts of the team that need immediate attention so it’ll be interesting to see where the manager/Board see the priorities.

Aribo was older, had that burst of pace in midfield that we haven't really replaced but he clearly wasn't perfect.

Tillman has time on his side, ready this slowly please he doesn't have the pace required to be absolutely top drawer but has magical feet.

An analysis of passing stats which are very important will show that Tillman has a lot of room to improve. He also gets constantly caught in possession.

Aribo was a better and more important player for us but you are not comparing apples with apples.

Back with the "genuine pace" patter.

Have to laugh at that to be honest. “Top drawer” and “beast of a player”. That’s you describing a player who regularly disappeared in the SPL and is currently struggling for game time in a dreadful Southampton side rooted to the bottom of the table.

Maybe it’s yourself who is allowing bias to get in the way because his inconsistency in a league like the SPL and his lack of minutes for a dire side headed for relegation aren’t exactly hallmarks of a “top drawer” player. I don’t think anyone can deny his technical quality, but he just disappears far too often to ever be considered top drawer. Anyone who can’t see that probably isn’t too clued up on their football.

Back