Morelos

Im starting to think a lot of these who can't see past Morelos are younger supporters.
Winning trophies is something they are not used to, they don't understand the importance of beating Celtic and winning big cup games. This is where your number 9 digs you out with important goals. Domestically Morelos does neither and has not scored over 20 goals in 5 seasons however some posters on here don't see anything wrong with that.
Sorry to burst that age bubble.
The first Rangers Centre Forward I saw was Jimmy Millar early 60’s as a young kid.
So I’ve seen quite a few and I rate Morelos.

What the Anti Morelos brigade don’t take into account is that it isn’t wine and roses all the time no matter how big a name.
Both Hateley and McCoist had lengthy bad spells !
In fact it’s an absolute rarity not to have a lengthy bad spell.

I agree with you it’s vitally important to beat the paedos and win big games.
However how you can label the blame for inability to do this on a regular basis is virtually wholly attributable to Morelos is madness.
When Morelos came on the scene it was on the back of us coming from near oblivion and it was a total rebuild job.

Another dimension to look at Morelos contribution is have a look at Player of the Year awards and Players Player of the Year Awards.
During his time Morelos won plenty of them so was rated not only by Rangers supporters but his team.
In summary he has been an outstanding player for the time he has been with us.

Sure since 55 he had a bad season and this year started with having an injury and unfit( his fault) but we are now starting to see shoots of recovery yet absolutely reviled by some on here.
Absolutely refuse to give any concession to his improvement and constantly malign him at every opportunity.
It’s as if their opinion on him is more important.

I find it pretty sad really.
None of us knows what will happen after this season but we should readily support him while he wears a Rangers jersey and be glad his contribution is increasing.
I would expect no less from Rangers supporters.

Put it this way, he doesn’t score the goal Aribo scored.
Morelos has scored that goal on many occasions, examples that spring to mind are the third goal v Rapid Vienna and the goal v Alashkert 1v1 with the keeper and needing to curl it round them.

He’d certainly have the strength and pace (back in May, pre fitness issues) to outmuscle the falling defender and bear down on goal.

And if we rested him and we failed to progress Gio would have got pelters.

He travelled whilst injured, he chose to take part in their training less than 48hrs after coming off at Dens, and he got injured during Colombia training and had to pull out.

He could have told them he was injured but clearly didn’t as Colombia came first and ultimately it cost him a place in our EL final run in
I'm sure he told columbia he wasn't fit but there manager is stubborn old fool
It was Dundee we were playing hardly Real Madrid we were playing

When your bearing down on goal and have the ability to beat a man how would that not help you be a better finisher?
I’m talking about the act of finishing. The swing of the boot, the technique, the composure. You’ve either got that or you don’t. Morelos is a better instinctive finisher when he’s got less time to think about it, but whether he’s got pace or not is fairly irrelevant when you’re 8 yards from goal.

Im starting to think a lot of these who can't see past Morelos are younger supporters.
Winning trophies is something they are not used to, they don't understand the importance of beating Celtic and winning big cup games. This is where your number 9 digs you out with important goals. Domestically Morelos does neither and has not scored over 20 goals in 5 seasons however some posters on here don't see anything wrong with that.
I'm certainly not young
I still remember remember watching Colin Stein Derek Parlane and DJ
I was ball boy 73 to 75

I’m talking about the act of finishing. The swing of the boot, the technique, the composure. You’ve either got that or you don’t. Morelos is a better instinctive finisher when he’s got less time to think about it, but whether he’s got pace or not is fairly irrelevant when you’re 8 yards from goal.
Yes, but you must remember the early form of Morelos when he could go past a man easily and score.

I’m touching 40, so I remember the Ian Wright’s, Ally McCoists and Ian Rush’s.

Football has changed dramatically since then. Morelos will never be a guaranteed 30 goal a season striker because he doesn’t have the cleanest strike of the ball. He brings other things to the table, and that’s what the club needs to decide, if they want to incorporate him into a new look side or move him along.

It’s also unfair to quote only his domestic record. We’ve had seasons where guys like Roofe and Defoe have played league games to allow Morelos to play in Europe on the Thu. That’s why he’s our all time record scorer in Europe, with some of those goals generating 10s of millions £££
Wish I 40

Morelos is the best leader of the line I’ve seen since Hateley and perhaps the best striker since then. I’ve never seen a striker at Rangers consistently dominate European teams of high standard and dictate play. He’s is one of those one in a generational players. Not sure how we replace him. I’ve seen 30 odd absolute pish rangers strikers though.

Mols for a few months was a phenomenon, likewise negri. But Alfie has done it year after year and dragged us to a higher standard at times.

He’s far from perfect, we’ve had plenty of superstars who blew up. But my God look at his European record.

Those saying let him go are fucking nut bags, he went to shit under geo but Beale has brought him back. His best years could still be ahead of him.
As they say, go for it, it's 5pm somewhere.

I remember him going past a lot of men, but the finishing was always sketchy. He could breeze past someone and hit the back row of the stand just as easily as he could hit the net.
So why was he so good in front of goals then and now he's not so good?
You prefer the Morelos now that scores less goals and cannot go past a man why?

He’s always been an average finisher.

I prefer peak Morelos, who’s in full Roy of the rovers mode, switching play, bullying defenders and causing havoc.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Obviously I’d prefer our main striker to be fit and firing, I’ve never said otherwise, but the notion that he was the same as prime Ruud van Nistelrooy 4 years ago and now he’s not is laughable.

He’s always struggled with his finishing, that’s why he had such a poor record v Celtic for years.

The in form Morelos doesn’t spend 5 years in Scotland; if he kept up the levels he is capable of he would be at a top club in a big 5 league. He’s inconsistent, as is everyone in Scotland. We take the rough with the smooth - it isn’t difficult. The same can be said for Kent.

The in form Morelos doesn’t spend 5 years in Scotland; if he kept up the levels he is capable of he would be at a top club in a big 5 league. He’s inconsistent, as is everyone in Scotland. We take the rough with the smooth - it isn’t difficult. The same can be said for Kent.
There's no superstars in our league and the better players are picked up quickly.

You prefer the Morelos now that scores less goals and cannot go past a man why? - this is the question you asked that I don’t understand.

Why on earth would I prefer a striker would couldn’t go past a man, vs one who can?
I do not know I was expecting you to tell me as you said Morelos had dry years at the start which is just not true he was quite prolific at the start of his career.
His goals have dried up his ability to beat a man has all but dried up and he's not the same player, now.

When your bearing down on goal and have the ability to beat a man how would that not help you be a better finisher?
Morelos was better in his first few seasons at us.
I definitely think the mental version of Morelos was the better player.

An absolute certainty of a red card every 5/6 games but he was a different animal then.

He’s calmed down a bit since then.

I definitely think the mental version of Morelos was the better player.

An absolute certainty of a red card every 5/6 games but he was a different animal then.

He’s calmed down a bit since then.
I think we spoiled him a bit as when he came he was a young hungry player with it all to prove and the first couple of seasons he was fit full of energy and got us goals.
We gave him contract after contract and he rewarded that with goals in Europe then he took his eye off the ball and let himself go and his form and goals went along with that.
It happens in football that's why a lot of players never really make it as they do not push on to the next level.

For as long as Morelos is at Rangers now, even if he scored another 7-8 goals against them, his record would always be abysmal because of those couple of dry years at the start in a really poor side.
thing is even in those poorer rangers squads he still missed 1on1's and sitters against them.

the 0-0 game at the piggery he missed a sitter with a header. Some of the hampden games ive tried to purge but there was one game he was 1on1 with their keeper, missed, got the rebound and missed again. You could argue they were good saves however he's had numerous chances and sitters vs them yet has only managed to score twice.

thing is even in those poorer rangers squads he still missed 1on1's and sitters against them.

the 0-0 game at the piggery he missed a sitter with a header. Some of the hampden games ive tried to purge but there was one game he was 1on1 with their keeper, missed, got the rebound and missed again. You could argue they were good saves however he's had numerous chances and sitters vs them yet has only managed to score twice.
I think the problem we have now with Morelos is he has to decide is he a striker or a midfielder as he's playing both roles at times and if he's out of the box so much it's obvious his goal tally will drop.
He's always missed chances as does every striker or they would be snapped up quick from our league.
We need a quick striker who can score against them next season, be interesting to see what Beale does.

Morelos is the best leader of the line I’ve seen since Hateley and perhaps the best striker since then. I’ve never seen a striker at Rangers consistently dominate European teams of high standard and dictate play. He’s is one of those one in a generational players. Not sure how we replace him. I’ve seen 30 odd absolute pish rangers strikers though.

Mols for a few months was a phenomenon, likewise negri. But Alfie has done it year after year and dragged us to a higher standard at times.

He’s far from perfect, we’ve had plenty of superstars who blew up. But my God look at his European record.

Those saying let him go are fucking nut bags, he went to shit under geo but Beale has brought him back. His best years could still be ahead of him.
Give me Jelavic every day of the week over Morelos.

Morelos’ fault for being injured now - surely even you can accept the way gvb handled that was horrendous?
I think he was over used.

However, he made the decision to travel to Colombia and take part in training less than 48 hours after Dens Park. That was solely his decision which ultimately led to the serious injury ruling him out for 4-5 months. Surely you accept that?

For as long as Morelos is at Rangers now, even if he scored another 7-8 goals against them, his record would always be abysmal because of those couple of dry years at the start in a really poor side.

We all know what Morelos is, a striker with a pretty low conversion rate, who’s more likely to score a spectacular goal than a tap in.

FWIW, I still think he brings more to the team than he takes away, and should get a new deal.
Forget the first two years. His record since Gerrard arrived against them is utterly abysmal. He has as many red cards as goals against them but I admire the lengths you’re going to, to make excuses for it.

Morelos has scored that goal on many occasions, examples that spring to mind are the third goal v Rapid Vienna and the goal v Alashkert 1v1 with the keeper and needing to curl it round them.

He’d certainly have the strength and pace (back in May, pre fitness issues) to outmuscle the falling defender and bear down on goal.
Morelos would not have had the pace to get away the way Aribo did in the final. Nor does he show consistently he has composure for those finishes

Let’s stop rewriting history ffs

Rapid Vienna was about 3/4 seasons ago.

Alashkert were a team of plumbers.

The first Rangers Centre Forward I saw was Jimmy Millar early 60’s as a young kid.

What the Anti Morelos brigade don’t take into account is that it isn’t wine and roses all the time no matter how big a name.

However how you can label the blame for inability to do this on a regular basis is virtually wholly attributable to Morelos is madness.
When Morelos came on the scene it was on the back of us coming from near oblivion and it was a total rebuild job.

Another dimension to look at Morelos contribution is have a look at Player of the Year awards and Players Player of the Year Awards.
During his time Morelos won plenty of them so was rated not only by Rangers supporters but his team.

Sure since 55 he had a bad season and this year started with having an injury and unfit( his fault) but we are now starting to see shoots of recovery yet absolutely reviled by some on here.
Absolutely refuse to give any concession to his improvement and constantly malign him at every opportunity.

None of us knows what will happen after this season but we should readily support him while he wears a Rangers jersey and be glad his contribution is increasing.
Well expressed opinion that I wholeheartedly support!

Look at all those trophies we’ve won with him leading the line….

5 years 2 trophies and let’s be honest he took no part in our second one.
Had the match officials done their job properly last season we would have won the league before 55 we were working our way back!

He is finished at Ibrox, he has no enthusiasm to be here and not even the 'Beale Bounce' will prove otherwise.

You have actually said he's been unfit and it is his fault. That = unprofessionalism.

I've loved him. I doubt there's been any Rangers player cheated by the authorities more than he has.

The whole charade now needs to end.

1 nil v Alashkert ur correct scored winner after us going down to 10 men at Ibrox

He is finished at Ibrox, he has no enthusiasm to be here and not even the 'Beale Bounce' will prove otherwise.

You have actually said he's been unfit and it is his fault. That = unprofessionalism.

I've loved him. I doubt there's been any Rangers player cheated by the authorities more than he has.

The whole charade now needs to end.
The signing or not of a new contract will determine whether he has enthusiasm to be here.
I’ve already stated my view unlikely but we’ll soon find out whether the charade as you describe ends.
For sure it won’t simply end because some FF posters want it to end.!
The club and MB have made a new contract offer so clearly they don’t want to end the charade.!

Yup I agree lack of fitness is unprofessional but in real life players do act unprofessionally.
It’s not been invented by Morelos.

Lastly if Morelos does sign another contract I hope you and others get behind the club/MB/Morelos and can put aside personal opinions.
Not optimistic.haha

The signing or not of a new contract will determine whether he has enthusiasm to be here.
I’ve already stated my view unlikely but we’ll soon find out whether the charade as you describe ends.
For sure it won’t simply end because some FF posters want it to end.!
The club and MB have made a new contract offer so clearly they don’t want to end the charade.!

Yup I agree lack of fitness is unprofessional but in real life players do act unprofessionally.
It’s not been invented by Morelos.

Lastly if Morelos does sign another contract I hope you and others get behind the club/MB/Morelos and can put aside personal opinions.
Not optimistic.haha
You've got me down as anti, when all I've ever been is pro.

I've never seen a Rangers centre, bully a defence on his own, as Alfie has done. Never.

However, it needs to end.

You've got me down as anti, when all I've ever been is pro.

I've never seen a Rangers centre, bully a defence on his own, as Alfie has done. Never.

However, it needs to end.
I just answer posts as reasonably as I can and respect people have the right to form their own opinions.
I have the vast majority of posters on here as the same side as me.(Rangers supporters)

The point you make about it having to end with respect is not your decision to make.
The club have made their position known which is they want him to continue.

I might not necessarily agree with that position but understand the future will determine what is going to happen.
Irrespective of that we support the team including Morelos until it unravels.

I fail to see what detractors get from sucking the life out of the Morelos situation by persistently and continuously go on ad infinitum saying the same things when the reality is clear.

I just answer posts as reasonably as I can and respect people have the right to form their own opinions.
I have the vast majority of posters on here as the same side as me.(Rangers supporters)

The point you make about it having to end with respect is not your decision to make.
The club have made their position known which is they want him to continue.

I might not necessarily agree with that position but understand the future will determine what is going to happen.
Irrespective of that we support the team including Morelos until it unravels.

I fail to see what detractors get from sucking the life out of the Morelos situation by persistently and continuously go on ad infinitum saying the same things when the reality is clear.
You were calling Rangers posters earlier "Molestors" your mask must have slipped then.

You were calling Rangers posters earlier "Molestors" your mask must have slipped then.
I have probably forgotten more about Rangers than you probably know.haha

You obviously fail to realise that the comment I made was jocular despite it coming with a ha ha and it’s gone whoosh above your head.
It’s a bit like people taking offence for the sake of taking offence.

I do not know I was expecting you to tell me as you said Morelos had dry years at the start which is just not true he was quite prolific at the start of his career.
His goals have dried up his ability to beat a man has all but dried up and he's not the same player, now.
You’ve misunderstood my quote. The ‘dry years’ were in relation to his goal scoring form v Celtic, not his overall form.

‘For as long as Morelos is at Rangers now, even if he scored another 7-8 goals against them, his record would always be abysmal because of those couple of dry years at the start in a really poor side.’

I have probably forgotten more about Rangers than you probably know.haha

You obviously fail to realise that the comment I made was jocular despite it coming with a ha ha and it’s gone whoosh above your head.
It’s a bit like people taking offence for the sake of taking offence.
Yes, it's funny calling Rangers supporters molesters because you said HA Ha after it.

Forget the first two years. His record since Gerrard arrived against them is utterly abysmal. He has as many red cards as goals against them but I admire the lengths you’re going to, to make excuses for it.
There’s not been a single excuse, mate.

It’s an assessment of his performances and impact v Celtic. Balance the poor goal scoring conversion and red card (are you really trying to count the 96th min one as a negative when he ran them ragged that day?), with his general play and the clear correlation of when he plays, we get positive results.

The last time we lost a league game that Morelos started v them, was March 2019 - almost 4 years ago. The impact his presence brings is vital.

Morelos would not have had the pace to get away the way Aribo did in the final. Nor does he show consistently he has composure for those finishes

Let’s stop rewriting history ffs

Rapid Vienna was about 3/4 seasons ago.

Alashkert were a team of plumbers.
Do you remember Morelos in the last 32 and 16 last season? His form was excellent before he got injured.

You really don’t like the guy do you!

Last edited:
Yes, it's funny calling Rangers supporters molesters because you said HA Ha after it.
Is that what you’re reduced to!

Objecting to an innocent comment because you can’t formulate any reasonable argument to put to the debate and position articulated in a cohesive manner about Morelos ?
It was a joke ffs!

Debate the issue if you want but move on it’s boring!!
Incidentally you do realise in the English language there is more than one definition of molestor apart from the sexual one you refer to.
As in harass!
Dearie me.

Last edited:
There’s not been a single excuse, mate.

It’s an assessment of his performances and impact v Celtic. Balance the poor goal scoring conversion and red card (are you really trying to count the 96th min one as a negative when he ran them ragged that day?), with his general play and the clear correlation of when he plays, we get positive results.

The last time we lost a league game that Morelos started v them, was March 2019 - almost 4 years ago. The impact his presence brings is vital.
Yes I do count that red card because it happened when all he had to do was smash the ball into the net.

Instead he bizarrely dived and got sent off leaving us a further 2 minutes to defend for our lives given Clancy was determined to play extra time hoping they’d score.

No matter how you want to dress it up, the facts are approximately 20 appearances, 2 goals, 2 red cards. Not good enough for a Rangers main striker.

Back