Morelos

And why have we not tried to replace him??
He’s supposed to be that shite and we’ve not tried to replace him!!
That is absolutely astonishing that we’ve not done so.
It couldn’t be that overall several Managers are happy to have him and don’t see a need to replace him even with his warts and all thing’s negative.

Are we saying that Roofe and Defoe have been better than Alfredo?
Roofe not his fault but rarely available and Defoe who was used sparingly and regularly an impact sub when used.

Do we not realise that Morelos apart from being a goalscorer was a leader of the line and integral to how we played.
He can do things that others can’t.
He's about 7 goals away from having his best season domestically for us. I'm pretty sure he will best that.

He's about 7 goals away from having his best season domestically for us. I'm pretty sure he will best that.
At the end of the day Morelos will say aye or naw.
MB leaving to Alfredo to call and club have made an offer to extend contract.
That’s the facts of the matter and we need to see what happens at the end of the season.
Meantime regardless of that we should get behind the team including Morelos.
Morelos for me up to Xmas was injured/unfit whatever but looks more menacing now than the first half of the season.
Not at the levels of season 55 and before but shoots of recovery.
That seems to me a positive but lots of here are happy to grind their teeth in a hissy strop and focus on what he hasn’t done exclusively rather that what he has done and can do for the rest of the season.

I hope we can manage to keep morelos. Even when everyone is saying he's hopeless he's still better than every other striker we've had for years. He scores plenty of goals but the biggest difference is that when he's not in the side we are a far worse team. I don't want to lose morelos unless we find someone that can replace not just his goals but his role in the team. Colak definitely can't and roofe can't stay fit enough long enough to. I'm still hopeful colak will come good but he often looks a bit lost in our setup.
Not me and not alone
I never said Morelos was hopeless

And why have we not tried to replace him??
He’s supposed to be that shite and we’ve not tried to replace him!!
That is absolutely astonishing that we’ve not done so.
It couldn’t be that overall several Managers are happy to have him and don’t see a need to replace him even with his warts and all thing’s negative.

Are we saying that Roofe and Defoe have been better than Alfredo?
Roofe not his fault but rarely available and Defoe who was used sparingly and regularly an impact sub when used.

Do we not realise that Morelos apart from being a goalscorer was a leader of the line and integral to how we played.
He can do things that others can’t.

Being honest, I’m on the fence on Alfredo these days GOG. I’m just struggling to justify any increase on his wage, and also acknowledge that he’d see a reduction as a slap in the face.

So I’m probably expecting him to go, with my best wishes if not all of our fans.

The thing is, so many fans have very short memories though. Examples - The Alfie we bought for a million was so unpolished, couldn’t stay onside, obviously had a bad disciplinary record, and could rarely get a header on target.
Another, Ally, I don’t know how many chances Ally used to miss. People conveniently forget that. I was a great fan of Ally despite that, because he was a basically very good player, and never stopped coming back to score no matter his misses.

In simple terms, we need to be careful what we wish for here.

Our first goal last week, the Lundstram chance at Tynecastle, well saved by Zander, and so many more chances RANGERS create would drastically reduce if Colak or Roofe lead the line. And there are others most weeks.

Yes, probably time to let him move on, but there’s a major job here to get a replacement who’s right for our team, and to me it’s not how many goals his replacement scores, but how many we as a team score.

Were we a far poorer team when we won our first cup in years got to a Europa final and qualified for the Champions League?

Explain that to me.
Alfredo scored a few goals in Europe league especially two v Sparta Prague that made sure we qualified for knock out stage with a game to spare
As I mentioned with Alfredo in starting lineup in final would had a great chance of winning the trophy

Being honest, I’m on the fence on Alfredo these days GOG. I’m just struggling to justify any increase on his wage, and also acknowledge that he’d see a reduction as a slap in the face.

So I’m probably expecting him to go, with my best wishes if not all of our fans.

The thing is, so many fans have very short memories though. Examples - The Alfie we bought for a million was so unpolished, couldn’t stay onside, obviously had a bad disciplinary record, and could rarely get a header on target.
Another, Ally, I don’t know how many chances Ally used to miss. People conveniently forget that. I was a great fan of Ally despite that, because he was a basically very good player, and never stopped coming back to score no matter his misses.

Our first goal last week, the Lundstram chance at Tynecastle, well saved by Zander, and so many more chances RANGERS create would drastically reduce if Colak or Roofe lead the line. And there are others most weeks.

Yes, probably time to let him move on, but there’s a major job here to get a replacement who’s right for our team, and to me it’s not how many goals his replacement scores, but how many we as a team score.
what are these short memories?

Domestically he simply hasnt been good enough over a large part of his time here. Europe he's been great but in the domestic cups and league not so.

Worse is the fact most seasons there's some sort of issue of some kind and under different managers.

Grigo
I’m on the fence as well about Morelos’s future and just need to wait till we see how things unfurl.
I suspect he’ll be on the move but regardless of that grateful for what he has done for the club and hopefully more to come this season.

His worth to the team is unquestionable and he adds a dimension that other strikers we had over the last few years and currently have don’t possess.
I agree will be a hard man to replace with his skillset.

Alfredo scored a few goals in Europe league especially two v Sparta Prague that made sure we qualified for knock out stage with a game to spare
As I mentioned with Alfredo in starting lineup in final would had a great chance of winning the trophy
Do you think other strikers wouldn't score goals though?

They would also apply themselves properly

He did score a few goals no doubt, but the point I picked up on if you had read the post is the suggestion we are a one-man team and struggle when he's not playing, this is the point of the argument which is sheer nonsense and talking down our squad.

We have also proved this is not the case with how well we did without him by getting further than we ever did by winning a cup, qualifying for a Europa final, plus qualifying for a Champions League.

The Morelos debate is done to death on here, to be honest.

Amazing everycunts opinion but yours is shite unless they agree with you. Wit professional football clubs you worked with?
Nothing like exaggerating eh.

The poster I quoted has posted a few wild things now. I mean the best we ever got offered for Morelos was 16 million (never confirmed it in euros or pounds). That was off the back of his 2019 form.

Morelos is miles away from that form so in what planet is a club likely to offer £15m for Morelos assuming he has a run of form from now until the end of the year given he’s older, has proven his professionalism is highly questionable too.

I’m all ears

Do you think other strikers wouldn't score goals though?

They would also apply themselves properly
Don't know how reliable would have been
I know Roofe scored few on way to final
Just unfortunate we didn't have Morelos or Roofe fit for final in Seville apart for few minutes with Roofe coming on

Strange thing is I suggested last January we should try to sign Colak but apart for few were against idea .
Will be interesting who the striker is Beale wants to bring in summer ?

Last edited:
IF we had Morelos in starting lineup at Europe league final we might have won trophy
Might have.

Might not have.

Put it this way, he doesn’t score the goal Aribo scored.

Likelihood is we’d have played a slightly different game in the final had he played. Unfortunately the player chose to travel to Colombia whilst injured and he chose to try and train less than 48 hours after limping off at Dens Park so we’ll never know.

what are these short memories?

Domestically he simply hasnt been good enough over a large part of his time here. Europe he's been great but in the domestic cups and league not so.

Worse is the fact most seasons there's some sort of issue of some kind and under different managers.
The fact that he led the line and was a one man battering ram for a few seasons.
The fact he was good enough to retain his position as 1st choice number 9 over a few seasons.
The fact that he enjoyed the confidence of successive managers and all thought he was good enough domestically.
All the above despite the number of issues under the different managers you describe.

So whose side will we believe.?
Successive managers or some negative posters on FF?? Hmmm

I’m still waiting on those posters to outline centre forwards at Ibrox over the period Alfredo has been here which have been better than him.
Or for some seasons preceding him.
Answer nada.

The case rests m’lud.

Sorry but we’ve seen him take 1 penalty and it was a huge hand in costing us the league cup.

I wouldn’t be confident of him scoring 30+ penalties if he was penalty taker

For £1m he’s been a great value signing. Only Novo in recent seasons could probably make a claim to being better value given the CL qualifying goals, European goals, old firm goals, league winning goals he scored.

But Morelos has been far too unreliable between discipline, off the park nonsense, unable to be professional and turning up overweight etc. He’s no longer worthy of £30k a week.
You haven’t seen him take 1 penalty. He’s taken double that amount. Scored 1 missed 1. The league cup final was one of those days - he battered them and Foster had a great day.

Only Tav and Goldson can claim to have contributed more than Morelos over the last 5 seasons. For Gerrards first two seasons Morelos carried that side.

He did score a few goals no doubt, but the point I picked up on if you had read the post is the suggestion we are a one-man team and struggle when he's not playing, this is the point of the argument which is sheer nonsense and talking down our squad.

We have also proved this is not the case with how well we did without him by getting further than we ever did by winning a cup, qualifying for a Europa final, plus qualifying for a Champions League.

The Morelos debate is done to death on here, to be honest.
We have a excellent squad and will get even better as Beale will bring in players that will take us to next level
Positive loyal

You haven’t seen him take 1 penalty. He’s taken double that amount. Scored 1 missed 1. The league cup final was one of those days - he battered them and Foster had a great day.

Only Tav and Goldson can claim to have contributed more than Morelos over the last 5 seasons. For Gerrards first two seasons Morelos carried that side.
Every season Morelos has been here we’ve yet to have 1 full season of him on it

Half the season good form, half the season piss poor version of the player.

I’ve seen enough of Morelos in 5 seasons to know I wouldn’t trust him to take a penalty as he’s not exactly known as being composed with his finishing. Very much a smash the ball type finisher.

Don't know how reliable would have been
I know Roofe scored few on way to final
Just unfortunate we didn't have Morelos or Roofe fit for final in Seville apart for few minutes with Roofe coming on

Strange thing is I suggested last January we should try to sign Colak but apart for few were against idea .
Will be interesting who the striker is Beale wants to bring in summer ?

Roofe scored 1 v Brondby & 1 v Braga Andrew.

If he starts scoring against Celtic and in the League Cup final and hopefully Scottish Cup final then the question of keeping him can be asked. Yet to show up in the big games in Scotland.
Scoring against the run of the mill is not enough.
He’s scored at Parkhead and Ibrox v them, scored winners at Pittodrie, Easter Rd, Tynecastle, Rugby Park and virtually every other ground in Scotland.

He averages 30 g/a per season since arriving.

Taking out a penalty miss in the LCF 3 years ago, and the fact that he started 7 old firm games in a row without losing from Dec 19-Aug 21, then the next 6 he never started we only won 1, where exactly is he not showing up?

Might have.

Might not have.

Put it this way, he doesn’t score the goal Aribo scored.

Likelihood is we’d have played a slightly different game in the final had he played. Unfortunately the player chose to travel to Colombia whilst injured and he chose to try and train less than 48 hours after limping off at Dens Park so we’ll never know.
Should have rested him v Dundee
Bad decisions
I'm sure he traveled to play for Columbia and hardly got any minutes ?

He’s scored at Parkhead and Ibrox v them, scored winners at Pittodrie, Easter Rd, Tynecastle, Rugby Park and virtually every other ground in Scotland.

Taking out a penalty miss in the LCF 3 years ago, and the fact that he started 7 old firm games in a row without losing from Dec 19-Aug 21, then the next 6 he never started we only won 1, where exactly is he not showing up?
Apart from one season where he scored 18 Alfies never scored more than 14 league goals for us on one season

Apart from one season where he scored 18 Alfies never scored more than 14 league goals for us on one season
What’s your point? I said he averages 30 g/a which is true.

The guy I replied to said he doesn’t turn up in big games, which domestically for us are old firm games and trips to places like Tynecastle and Pittodrie, where he does show up.

Should have rested him v Dundee
Bad decisions
I'm sure he traveled to play for Columbia and hardly got any minutes ?
And if we rested him and we failed to progress Gio would have got pelters.

He travelled whilst injured, he chose to take part in their training less than 48hrs after coming off at Dens, and he got injured during Colombia training and had to pull out.

He could have told them he was injured but clearly didn’t as Colombia came first and ultimately it cost him a place in our EL final run in

His countless attempts at goal against Celtic.

Last edited:
His numerous attempts at goal against Celtic.
Granted he could’ve scored more v Celtic in his first couple of seasons, but there’s more to ‘showing up’ than just scoring goals.

Off the top of my head, he’s contributed to wins or positive results in;

1-0 Jack game - gave their defence a torrid time
1-2 Parkhead game - ran the game from up front for us
1-0 McGregor OG game - Got Bitton sent off
4-1 game - Nutmegged Brown and leathered one in
1-1 game - Scored a header at the back post

He’s missed a lot of games v them too. I think it’s telling that in the last 8 games he’s started against them, we’ve won 6 and drawn 2 - then the other 5 he’s not started we’ve won one after extra time and lost the other 4.

Morelos is the best leader of the line I’ve seen since Hateley and perhaps the best striker since then. I’ve never seen a striker at Rangers consistently dominate European teams of high standard and dictate play. He’s is one of those one in a generational players. Not sure how we replace him. I’ve seen 30 odd absolute pish rangers strikers though.

Mols for a few months was a phenomenon, likewise negri. But Alfie has done it year after year and dragged us to a higher standard at times.

He’s far from perfect, we’ve had plenty of superstars who blew up. But my God look at his European record.

Those saying let him go are fucking nut bags, he went to shit under geo but Beale has brought him back. His best years could still be ahead of him.

Granted he could’ve scored more v Celtic in his first couple of seasons, but there’s more to ‘showing up’ than just scoring goals.

He’s missed a lot of games v them too. I think it’s telling that in the last 8 games he’s started against them, we’ve won 6 and drawn 2 - then the other 5 he’s not started we’ve won one after extra time and lost the other 4.
Im starting to think a lot of these who can't see past Morelos are younger supporters.
Winning trophies is something they are not used to, they don't understand the importance of beating Celtic and winning big cup games. This is where your number 9 digs you out with important goals. Domestically Morelos does neither and has not scored over 20 goals in 5 seasons however some posters on here don't see anything wrong with that.

Im starting to think a lot of these who can't see past Morelos are younger supporters.
Winning trophies is something they are not used to, they don't understand the importance of beating Celtic and winning big cup games. This is where your number 9 digs you out with important goals. Domestically Morelos does neither and has not scored over 20 goals in 5 seasons however some posters on here don't see anything wrong with that.
I’m touching 40, so I remember the Ian Wright’s, Ally McCoists and Ian Rush’s.

Football has changed dramatically since then. Morelos will never be a guaranteed 30 goal a season striker because he doesn’t have the cleanest strike of the ball. He brings other things to the table, and that’s what the club needs to decide, if they want to incorporate him into a new look side or move him along.

It’s also unfair to quote only his domestic record. We’ve had seasons where guys like Roofe and Defoe have played league games to allow Morelos to play in Europe on the Thu. That’s why he’s our all time record scorer in Europe, with some of those goals generating 10s of millions £££

Equally he's also contributed to a lot of defeats or dropped points against them, in huge games like the LCF and the OF at Ibrox last month, which ultimately cost us a trophy and the latter killing any hope of us getting back into a title race this season.

You're right to point out there is more to showing up than just scoring goals, but let's be honest it is his primary job as a striker and his goalscoring record against them is absolutely abysmal.

It's not like he doesn't get the chances either, unfortunately he just very rarely takes them.

Last edited:
And if we rested him and we failed to progress Gio would have got pelters.

He travelled whilst injured, he chose to take part in their training less than 48hrs after coming off at Dens, and he got injured during Colombia training and had to pull out.

He could have told them he was injured but clearly didn’t as Colombia came first and ultimately it cost him a place in our EL final run in
Morelos’ fault for being injured now - surely even you can accept the way gvb handled that was horrendous?

Equally he's also contributed to a lot of defeats or dropped points against them, in huge games like the LCF and the OF at Ibrox last month, which ultimately cost us a trophy and the latter killing any hope of us getting back into a title race this season.

You're right to point out there is more to showing up than just scoring goals, but let's be honest it his primary job as a striker and his goalscoring record against them is absolutely abysmal.

It's not like he doesn't get the chances either, unfortunately he just very rarely takes them.
For as long as Morelos is at Rangers now, even if he scored another 7-8 goals against them, his record would always be abysmal because of those couple of dry years at the start in a really poor side.

We all know what Morelos is, a striker with a pretty low conversion rate, who’s more likely to score a spectacular goal than a tap in.

FWIW, I still think he brings more to the team than he takes away, and should get a new deal.

For as long as Morelos is at Rangers now, even if he scored another 7-8 goals against them, his record would always be abysmal because of those couple of dry years at the start in a really poor side.

We all know what Morelos is, a striker with a pretty low conversion rate, who’s more likely to score a spectacular goal than a tap in.

FWIW, I still think he brings more to the team than he takes away, and should get a new deal.
That doesn't really make sense as the first couple of seasons were when we got the best of Morelos he was quick mobile and scored a lot more goals and could easily go past a man.

They all know we’re a better team with Morelos in it - it just kills them to say it.

Morelos is a 9/10 for half a season, then 6/10 for the other half.

If he was a constant 7/10 - which is a worse average over the course of a season - folk wouldn’t moan about his form. Go figure.

Back