Ryan Kent - The Clash of Opinions

Should he stay or should he go?

• Kent to stay at Rangers next season

Votes: 803 70.6%
  • Kent to leave Rangers in the Summer

Votes: 335 29.4%

• Total voters
We’re already in a mess on the right hand side and letting Kent go for free just creates the same gap on the left.
Keep him and give him and Yilmaz 6 months. Worse case it doesn’t work and we get a couple of million (minimum) back for Kent next winter.

Also part of the team who won 55 took us to a European final won a Scottish cup and qualified for the Champions league.

Just incase you forgot.

How did we do in the CL and the Europa League final ? Just in case you forgot.

That's my point though (especially the final): He is part of the core of a team that has failed us time and time again.

Agree on first point and in fairness to Kent hehas never really openly angled for a move as far as I recall. On the second point, letting him go for nil at the end of the contract means we have let him go for a 100% loss. Effectively cutting the nose off to spite the face.
I could imagine the uproar if he walked for 5M - Would still need replaced out of that.

Players with better ‘numbers’ can be worse players tho.
That is true but overall, goals win you games and our front three and team as a whole aren't scoring enough.

I do like Kent though, but I'm tired of the endless debates if he's good enough or does he do enough.

We all know what he can do and the big moments in Europe he has provided.

That is true but overall, goals win you games and our front three and team as a whole aren't scoring enough.

I do like Kent though, but I'm tired of the endless debates if he's good enough or does he do enough.

We all know what he can do and the big moments in Europe he has provided.
If we had a big budget I would be far more comfortable letting guys like Kent leave - we don’t.

So letting him walk out the door for nothing is even more mental.

In isolation I think it would be best for club and player to part ways and each try something new.

However, in the context of the squad I think there's a few players/positions that need addressed before him, therefore dealing with them first and keeping him is maybe a more sensible approach just now. We can't upgrade everything at once.

I get the arguments around his "unseen contributions" and the fact you can't measure his output in goals and assists alone but surely there's a certain point when his low numbers can't be ignored any more. If there's a big injury or sudden loss of form of our best scorers is he really going to step up and help fill the void? I can't see it.

I would also like, for once, if he would just get himself in the f*cking box on the off chance that a cross or cut back reaches the back post. He would double his goal tally if aimed to try and get on the end of things the way Sakala does from the right. Even just getting a few tap ins would help

If he could just hit the target with his shots then I would be happy. Seems like a mental thing as if he gets too excited or panics and snaps at it.

If he consistently added goals to his game then he would be getting offered top wages at the club.

He has been a good signing for us overall but for me he hasn't really developed much from when we signed him and you could argue he was a better player a couple of years ago. I get the feeling he wants a go at playing in the premier league anyway as if he was committed to staying he would have got a deal sorted last summer.

Is he not part of that team then ?

I'm not singling him out, I'm just saying he is part of a set of players who have been here for far too long and who have failed us more than they've succeeded for us.
The money that’s going to be needed to replace a player like Kent could be better spent in other areas imo.

I’d say keep him if he wants to stay.

I’ve read previous here that he is settled in glasgow. On his day he’s an unstoppable player / one on one. But his end product is brutal. Maybe with some better players round him he’d shine?

No matter what though we need a player in the LW position that really gives Kent competition. At the end of the day the biggest grievance with Kent is, he has to play most games as no one in the squad just now can challenge his position

I would be keeping Kent, although I have been swithering on it all season.

I think in a better team, that allows some of the pressure to be taken off him in terms of being the only creative outlet, then we'll see much more from him.

Hope he stays. Hard worker and whilst his goals and assist numbers should be better, he contributes a lot to the team.

I think the key to getting the best out of Kent is by improving those playing in positions around him. He's excellent at linking up with others and he needs a left back behind him who is going to bomb forward on the overlap. Bassey was great at doing this. Borna too negative playing backwards at times and Ridvan much of an unknown.

A midfield 3 of Raskin, Cantwell and Tillman would provide a lot of energy and movement and ball retention in and around the central areas.

A similar type of player on the right side that carries the same threat would provide balance and give the opponents a lot more to think about where now they try and double up on Kent.

But key to it all is the striker. Needs to be someone who works hard, will hold up the ball and drift out of the box to link up. Morelos can do all that but the effort levels and quality hasn't been quite there.

We've already got the midfield quality there and if we can improve the striker and right side options then we could get the best out of Kent.

I think in a better team, that allows some of the pressure to be taken off him in terms of being the only creative outlet, then we'll see much more from him.
I get this to a point, but it's still a gamble - Kent doesn't seem the most confident character and I think he needs to be coached on that side of things if he's to improve.

I was swithering on Morelos until it was reported he was going to Seville. That news immediately confirmed to me that I wanted him to stay. Doubt I'd feel the same about Kent.

Time to leave.

40 appearances, 3 goals, 9 assists in all competitions this season. His decision making at times and lack of composure in front of goal is dreadful.

Sakala in 30 appearances has 6 goals and 8 assists, he was a freebie.
Who’s the better player and who would you prefer in your team - Kent or Sakala?

Football is all about opinions and thats why these forums are great BUT if you think Kent should go then i suggest you go with him and feww up some season ticket space for my boys lol

Kent is a must going forward.

Sakala creates in our current team as well as Cantwell.

Wright, Montondo, Diallo, Templeton, Forrester, Oduwa, McKay, O'Hallorran, Candeias, Murphy, Jones, Hastie, Barker.

Just a selection of the recent failures we've hired as wingers.

Are we really capable of replacing Kent?

If he was as good as people on here make him out to be he would have been signed up by a EPL club long ago. No one was willing to pay money for him, thats how much he is rate else where.

Time to leave.

40 appearances, 3 goals, 9 assists in all competitions this season. His decision making at times and lack of composure in front of goal is dreadful.

Sakala in 30 appearances has 6 goals and 8 assists, he was a freebie.
Maybe Kent plays a part earlier in these moves or simply being on the pitch gives the opposition more to think about and allows others a bit more space.

I dont want to have a go at any strikers but if Rangers were to find a real quality centre i think you would see much more from Kent and hes already one of our most important players.

Between the £7m fee, the initial contract and then the size of contract that would be required to keep him if EPL clubs are interested - we could easily end up spending around £20m on Kent.

For his return, it’s insanity.
Would love to see your working how it would end up £20m

feel like i’ve answered this same poll about 4 times in the last month

Wish there was a tool for the forum when you go to start a new thread that suggests bumping recent similar threads

Wright, Montondo, Diallo, Templeton, Forrester, Oduwa, McKay, O'Hallorran, Candeias, Murphy, Jones, Hastie, Barker.

Just a selection of the recent failures we've hired as wingers.

Are we really capable of replacing Kent?
Why not play him as a right winger. He's poor at hitting shots cutting inside anyway

We should keep Kent because he's good enough to help us win the league or let him go if he's not.

We shouldn't be keeping players purely because we spent money on them and we want to try and claw some of it back.
Its pretty clear Kent is good enough, I didnt think I had to emphasise that part.

Would love to see your working how it would end up £20m
Just use a calculator mate, it’s not hard.

£7m fee, around £20,000 a week for four years and then - if there is EPL interest - we’ll need to break out general £35,000 a week ceiling to get him to stay.

If he stays, it’s got to be a 3/4 year contract you’d imagine?

At his best he is a very good player unfortunately he's not as his best
very often. I dont think he's giving
us value for the money he's on.
If we can line up a replacement
I would let him go.

I automatically started reading this like a poem :)) Interesting use of the enter key

Just use a calculator mate, it’s not hard.

£7m fee, around £20,000 a week for four years and then - if there is EPL interest - we’ll need to break out general £35,000 a week ceiling to get him to stay.

If he stays, it’s got to be a 3/4 year contract you’d imagine?
He’s on less than 20 a week and there’s no chance he’s getting 35 so you don’t need to worry about your £20m figure.

I think he's a very good player, but replacable. If he was a Celtic player leaving them on a bosman, what would we think ? I don't think we'd be that bothered to be bothered.

Time for him to go. Zero time for sentimentality with this squad.

Wish him well but he’s steeped in failure.

I’m indifferent with any of our players (apart from new recruits)

Couldn’t care less if they stay or go.

Purely from a financial aspect, I’d like Kent and Morelos to sign new deals to protect our assets so they can be sold.

But apart from the financial aspect like this, I not fussed about holding on to any of our players (Kent, Morelos, Jack, Tav, Barisic, etc)

Barring a league win behind closed doors with no pressure coming from the stands, and a Scottish cup win last season….. almost every member of this squad has done zero to suggest that they can win things. Only those two victories from a possible 13-14 during the last 4-5 years is disgraceful.

We need a major overhaul.

The majority of our squad are conditioned to be second best. Them saying otherwise is just words and I’m not convinced they truly believe it. We still have a freshness with Cantwell, Raskin, Tillman but unless we freshen up the rest of the squad - they too will fall into the trap of thinking “we can’t compete with the other mob”

I’m indifferent with any of our players (apart from new recruits)

Couldn’t care less if they stay or go.

Purely from a financial aspect, I’d like Kent and Morelos to sign new deals to protect our assets so they can be sold.

But apart from the financial aspect like this, I not fussed about holding on to any of our players (Kent, Morelos, Jack, Tav, Barisic, etc)

Barring a league win behind closed doors with no pressure coming from the stands, and a Scottish cup win last season….. almost every member of this squad has done zero to suggest that they can win things. Only those two victories from a possible 13-14 during the last 4-5 years is disgraceful.

We need a major overhaul.

The majority of our squad are conditioned to be second best. Them saying otherwise is just words and I’m not convinced they truly believe it. We still have a freshness with Cantwell, Raskin, Tillman but unless we freshen up the rest of the squad - they too will fall into the trap of thinking “we can’t compete with the other mob”
Trying to downplay the 55 season is one of the daftest things I’ve read on here.

Its pretty clear Kent is good enough, I didnt think I had to emphasise that part.
You said that letting a player leave after spending so much would be tantamount to fiscal suicide.

The point I was making was that we should keep players, or let them go, based on ability not how much we spent on them.

You said that letting a player leave after spending so much would be tantamount to fiscal suicide.

The point I was making was that we should keep players, or let them go, based on ability not how much we spent on them.
I think its a bit of both, especially with the outlay on him. Different Morelos for example.

The spine of the team just needs completely rebuilt. Loads of these players have been excellent players for us. But we as a support are far too sentimental and that needs to end. We can replace Morelos, we can replace Kent, Tavernier, Jack or McGregor. The issue is we now need that all done in one summer. As opposed to working it over a few windows like we should have done

Back