Ryan Kent - The Clash of Opinions

Should he stay or should he go?

• Kent to stay at Rangers next season

Votes: 803 70.6%
  • Kent to leave Rangers in the Summer

Votes: 335 29.4%

• Total voters
How do you know he's not had an offer from a Championship team?

He might well have had an offer from every single team in world football in January, but turned them all down to focus on his football til the end of the season, when things will be much clearer for him. I mean, for example, if he had signed a pre-contract with a side like Everton he would already be doubting his future there with the managerial changes and relegation prospects. Had Gio been here a few months longer he might have chose to leave then regretted it when Beale came in. It would be a bit mental to make a decision now when he knows he'll get all the same offers, with more clarity, come the end of the season. Plus this way he doesn't upset the fans he's abandoning (til he actually leaves) and can focus purely on his football.
Aye mate, I'm sure you're right. He was probably inundated with big money offers we just never heard about... because he didn't want to upset the fans...

I simply don't think return on investment is as simple as that here.

As much as I want him gon, and would let him walk in the summer rather than renew, he has undoubtedly over his time been a good contributor in the handful of successes we've seen.

Particularly his involvement in Europe, where there was obviously significant financial return for the progress we made, not just in the EL final season, but in the previosu years where we made good progress and also qualifying for the CL.

All of that is return on investment and suggesting a player who we paid a fee for leaving at end of contract is an outright loss, I would say isn't at all how that investment is measured.
I agree to be honest - my comments went back to a suggestion earlier in the exchange that we can’t sell if player doesn’t want to move (fair enough) or sell at a loss. I challenged the ‘cant sell at a loss’ comment as midplaced given what the alternative ends up being.

Ultimately, Kent isn’t the issue in isolation and despite all the speculation ((eg Leeds) he hasn’t appeared to spoil for a move nor have we been inundated with offers as far as we know.

The issue which is my main gripe is that the board (Wilson in particular) have Consistently allowed players to run down contracts and risk leaving for nothing, squad fill With loans/short term expensive signings/extend players who should be moving on and ultimately kick the can down the road) We have now got to the absurd situation where we risk losing two previously high value players (as well as 7 others) for nil at the same time when we urgently need investment into the sqaud. In addition, 3 further first team quality players are entering the last year of their contract and we simply don’t have the funds to replace everyone with the quality we need.

if we were signing an attacker with 6 goals in 87 games on £35,000 per week that had played his football outside a top league this forum would quite rightly be in meltdown
If someone who played football the way Ryan Kent does (even with those numbers) played for Anderlecht, and we could get him for free, on £35k per week, this place would go into Skov Olsen/Veerman overdrive.

Nail on head - a main part of the problem with Wilson et al - not fit for purpose
You've lost me - I get that you're blaming Ross Wilson for Kent potentially leaving for nothing - But that happens more often than top players being sold at a loss.

I feel torn on it.. he works his bollocks off but still doesn’t deliver the goals/assists that someone of his talent should in the top league in Scotland.

I appreciate that getting someone in that is anywhere near as good will be difficult and probably expensive - I can’t shake the feeling that 10-15 goals a season and about as a many assists shouldn’t be asking too much.

I agree to be honest - my comments went back to a suggestion earlier in the exchange that we can’t sell if player doesn’t want to move (fair enough) or sell at a loss. I challenged the ‘cant sell at a loss’ comment as midplaced given what the alternative ends up being.

Ultimately, Kent isn’t the issue in isolation and despite all the speculation ((eg Leeds) he hasn’t appeared to spoil for a move nor have we been inundated with offers as far as we know.

The issue which is my main gripe is that the board (Wilson in particular) have Consistently allowed players to run down contracts and risk leaving for nothing, squad fill With loans/short term expensive signings/extend players who should be moving on and ultimately kick the can down the road) We have now got to the absurd situation where we risk losing two previously high value players (as well as 7 others) for nil at the same time when we urgently need investment into the sqaud. In addition, 3 further first team quality players are entering the last year of their contract and we simply don’t have the funds to replace everyone with the quality we need.
Absolutely. Bottom line is that realistically we need to accept ourselves as a selling club and that means strike while the iron's hot and offload players at their peak.

Buy low cost potential, realise it and profit via delivery on the field leading to transfer value.

Far from easy, of course it is, but as much as folk might have baulked at the idea of punting Morelos or Kent a couple of seasons back when they were in better form, if we'd gotten half-decent fees and reinveted in the right quality coming in, those moans would dissipate fast.

Honestly don't see why people don't rate him.

Obviously could improve, bit compared to wright, sakala, matondo.. He's streets ahead and effectively now a bosman signing

We would be bursting with joy if we signed the exact same player for free from another club next season
Look at his numbers , flatters to deceive often . He needs to do it all the time . Not just in European stage , but also in DINGWALL on a Sunday morning

You had to ignore an awful lot of what I said to come to that false conclusion.
As easy and worthwhile as it would have been, the rest of it falls under the same load of nonsense banner.

The idea that Kent would turn down attractive moves via a January pre-contract is nonsense. it would've almost certainly given him weight for an early move and in turn a fee for the club for a guy who was leaving for nothing in a few months.

We’re already in a mess on the right hand side and letting Kent go for free just creates the same gap on the left.
Keep him and give him and Yilmaz 6 months. Worse case it doesn’t work and we get a couple of million (minimum) back for Kent next winter.
The left side of attach is Lawrence, cantwell, Sakala and matondos natural positions though so not as big of a gap as you think

Stay, if possible. I still think he has qualities we can utilise. I'm not covinced we're going to be able to find an immediate upgrade on him in the way that we might other players in the team. Have to be realistic about that.

Trying to downplay the 55 season is one of the daftest things I’ve read on here.

55 was a phenomenal achievement and they way we done in on the pitch was remarkable! No doubt about that. I’ve no idea why we were so good that year in contrast to other seasons but it’s irrelevant, 55 is in the bag and it’s all about 56 now.

Why this same squad of players have failed in all but one other domestic honour in over a dozen attempts is extremely unusual to say the least. Can’t put my finger on why! Can you explain the contrast from the 55 league win and pretty much every other domestic attempt over the 5yrs this squad has been together?

Either way, there’s a big enough sample (over an almost 5yr period) to suggest this squad isn’t made of the right stuff to populate the trophy room.

He really does have fans under a spell. Leave, because doing it once in a blue moon isn’t anywhere near good enough. 6 goals in 80 odd games for a £7m attacker is pitiful, and even worse, he’ll be looking for more money to sign another contract and we should really stop rewarding failure.

He really does have fans under a spell. Leave, because doing it once in a blue moon isn’t anywhere near good enough. 6 goals in 80 odd games for a £7m attacker is pitiful, and even worse, he’ll be looking for more money to sign another contract and we should really stop rewarding failure.
Under a spell or maybe it's the ones that actually understand football that recognise his contribution.

Absolutely not, the religious fervour some have with retaining players who have been a core of losers is just baffling. And yes, they got to a European final before anyone comes out with it.

I'd say the idea we can't replace him is silly but given our recruitment I wouldn't be sure we could replace anyone these days!

But it's worth bearing in mind the likes of Nacho Novo . Before the Kentish Lads hyperventilate I'm not directly comparing quality but impact - not only did Novo do it in Europe but he scored against the scum, in cup finals and semi finals and cost a fraction of Kent.

Are things so bad we really can't find a player like that somewhere in the world??

Absolutely not, the religious fervour some have with retaining players who have been a core of losers is just baffling. And yes, they got to a European final before anyone comes out with it.

I'd say the idea we can't replace him is silly but given our recruitment I wouldn't be sure we could replace anyone these days!

But it's worth bearing in mind the likes of Nacho Novo . Before the Kentish Lads hyperventilate I'm not directly comparing quality but impact - not only did Novo do it in Europe but he scored against the scum, in cup finals and semi finals and cost a fraction of Kent.

Are things so bad we really can't find a player like that somewhere in the world??
Kentish lads - Jesus Christ.

If someone who played football the way Ryan Kent does (even with those numbers) played for Anderlecht, and we could get him for free, on £35k per week, this place would go into Skov Olsen/Veerman overdrive.
The idea that a new contract for Kent will only cost £35,000 a week is wild.

If he’s as good as some think, he’ll have plenty of offers from the EPL and £50,000 or £60,000 a week wont be given a second though.

I genuinely reckon we’d have to go over £40,000 to keep him if he’s got EPL sides interested.

L
He does so much hard grafting,to enable others to assist and score the goals.He’d be a huge miss,if he had to leave imo.
that’s what we need our midfielders for. Not one of our supposed three goal threats.

I like kent. And he would be a great squad option in a fully functioning team.

£30k or what ever has to be better spent else where.

If he’s as good as some think, he’ll have plenty of offers from the EPL and £50,000 or £60,000 a week wont be given a second though.

I genuinely reckon we’d have to go over £40,000 to keep him if he’s got EPL sides interested.

He doesn't!

The things that Ryan can do well, he does them very well.
But they are too limited in themselves to make him the sort of top player people on here belive him to be.
I hope he leaves.
He is a brake on our ambitions.

A talented footballer but offers far less than we need him to. We need to stop clinging to the 55 season and move as many of this squad on as possible.

Under a spell or maybe it's the ones that actually understand football that recognise his contribution.
Yeah the ones who want continued inconsistency, a pitiful goal return and repeated failures at the cost of even more money are the ones that understand football. That’s what it is.

Probably best for both club and player to move on, free up his wage to Invest
I just worry about our recruitment, I have no faith in that department unfortunately

I simply don't think return on investment is as simple as that here.

As much as I want him gon, and would let him walk in the summer rather than renew, he has undoubtedly over his time been a good contributor in the handful of successes we've seen.

Particularly his involvement in Europe, where there was obviously significant financial return for the progress we made, not just in the EL final season, but in the previosu years where we made good progress and also qualifying for the CL.

All of that is return on investment and suggesting a player who we paid a fee for leaving at end of contract is an outright loss, I would say isn't at all how that investment is measured.
Quite right.

Getting into a CL group once, regardless of results, pays back what we would have got for selling Morelos and Kent combined. Add up all our European runs since Gerrard, and we are paid back several times over.

And lest we forget, those pretty little trinkets 55, and the Scottish Cup were not too shabby either.

We are in a different place now and Beale is asking them both to prove themselves. So it is up to them to get more recent form scrubbed off the record and restart their own personal comebacks.

It’s their choice. We lose nothing if they can’t reach their own previous standards and are let go. In the end we can still argue that we got the best of them.

Just use a calculator mate, it’s not hard.

£7m fee, around £20,000 a week for four years and then - if there is EPL interest - we’ll need to break out general £35,000 a week ceiling to get him to stay.

If he stays, it’s got to be a 3/4 year contract you’d imagine?
If you’re Kent then this is probably his last big deal somewhere given his age at 27 this year

You kind of lost me with the Matondo wishful thinking.

The boy is simply a Ross Wilson brainwave.

I could say a lot nastier.

As for Kent? I can see where you are coming from but we desperately need more than he gives us.

The thing with Kent for me now is, that at 26 going on 27, this is probably it for him - he’s probably not going to get any better.

So we’ll get lots of industry, lots of effort, a good team player, occasional flashes of brilliance and even the odd goal, but the question has to be, especially in the position he plays: could we do better?

I tend to be of the belief that we can.

I wish that the £7M price tag stops being quoted because it is irrelevant.
Kent has been worth it and is now a depreciating asset as no one is paying the fee for him based on current form.
Nobody spends £7K on a car and expects to get £7K back on it after 5 years when it has been inconsistent.

The left side of attach is Lawrence, cantwell, Sakala and matondos natural positions though so not as big of a gap as you think
Cantwell I’d give you but he’s a different type of player entirely and needs the freedom across the attacking 3 or 4.
Lawrence is out until pre season and given our record he will be back in October or November.
Sakala and Matondo aren’t anywhere near Kent’s ability, if we let Kent go and expect Matondo to be the answer we may as well just sign a waiver accepting second place next year.

Cantwell I’d give you but he’s a different type of player entirely and needs the freedom across the attacking 3 or 4.
Lawrence is out until pre season and given our record he will be back in October or November.
Sakala and Matondo aren’t anywhere near Kent’s ability, if we let Kent go and expect Matondo to be the answer we may as well just sign a waiver accepting second place next year.
Kent has a funny way of showing a higher ability than Sakala I’ll tell you that.

I think most of the old guard are picking up their wages and should leave. Kent, Morelos, Tav and Goldson have had their time, we need fresh blood.

Kent has a funny way of showing a higher ability than Sakala I’ll tell you that.

I think when a lot of fans think of Kent they only think of a few select OF games, or a few select Euro nights and that it. They forget the plethora of shite displays which have been a big part of why we regularly fail domestically. Like Tav though, it’s always someone else’s fault, these guys are bullet proof.

If he could just hit the target with his shots then I would be happy. Seems like a mental thing as if he gets too excited or panics and snaps at it.

If he consistently added goals to his game then he would be getting offered top wages at the club.
His shooting is abysmal
LP

He’s not good enough for the EPL.

But he’s more than good enough for us.

That’s reality.

40 games 3 goals this season
Nae neck at the Tim’s 5 goals in 20 games

He simply needs to go his numbers have been abysmal for years.

Back