Match Thread TSG Hoffenheim v Rangers - 14:30 Saturday - RangersTV

Why should it take 3-4 windows? We’ve all spoke on here about the defence for ages and he’s done nothing to address it

A real rangers manager is brave and dumps both full backs
Money.

Unless you wanted us to go into the new season with Roofe and Colak as the only strikers, and Matondo, Sakala, and Wright as the wide players, then up front had to be the priority

Strange and bittersweet game. A few players really looked knackered and off the pace which I can understand, changes made on the pitch definitely shored us up but regrettable that MB is getting his starting 11 so wrong this close to season start.

Positives to take from it though, lot of communication from Butland. Lammers had a good game and Danilo had some good involvement.

Full back positions terrify me though.

Meh.

Had hoped to see more shape and style.

Couldn’t say for certain who our starting 11 is next week at this point with the left hand side in general looking poor, and our only forward who is showing form is Lammers.
This for me too. Not overly concerned with results at this stage but want to at least see some settled formations and tactics. I'd say after 4 friendlies we're still none the wiser, which is a concern.

I will take the result but not the performance. Poor and disjointed throughout the game. No real leadership in midfield and lacking threat up front. Defence I will give a pass on judgement because clearly, few of the starters will get much game time during the season unless there are several injuries and God help us if they do have to play.

Much improved second half against a very good side, starting to take some shape.Champions league qualifiers may have come to soon.

Much improved second half, we need Goldson, Souttar and even Davies back asap, and for those screaming for Yilmaz to replace Barasic, think again. Lundstram isn’t the answer in midfield, Raskin was poor today, as was Cantwell, Sinna showed nothing once again. On the plus side Butland looks the part, Lammers was excellent, Dessers will improve with game time, and Danilo will be brilliant against Scottish opposition.

We played some good stuff overall. Pleased with the fightback. The defence is hugely suspect unfortunately. Our fans created a great atmosphere apart from the outdated songs.

Dowell really refreshed that midfield when brought on, has a great workrate. Felt strange with Raskin the whole game he wasn't involved in much. Also noticed that Dessers really wasn't getting on the end of anything, but it was very similar with Danilo so we will probably see a lot more tweaks forthcoming with the 9 position.

Huge concerns over the defense, although Butland did quite well imo. Attack is looking good, especially Lammers who's probably been the standout in pre-season. Can't wait to see what he can do against the dross in spfl

Four center backs missing so we learned nothing there. Neither full back can defend and Yilmaz is no better than Borna really... yet. Butland and Lammers improve the team, and whether we all like it on FF or not, Jack gives shape to this team. Beale has a week to work out how to get Cantwell involved as this formation is nullifying him. The next game is for real and we still look uncertain in what we are doing.

better 2nd half from us
overall a very tough watch and its going to be a long hard season with that defence continually shooting us in the foot, utter shambles at times
both fullbacks are weak and simply cannot defend and i wish Beale had built a stronger squad from the back because i do not trust our defence at all

Must admit that I'm a bit worried that our midfield seemed to improve when Dowell came on for Cantwell.
TC seems to be being wasted in whaetever tf role he's supposed to be doing.

And it's got to be said that ending up with BOTH Borna and Ridvan on the left of our defence ... well, it's a miracle that Hoffenheim never scored with the amount of absolute fa**ying about at the back on that side due to the two of them.

I'm pleased that we're addressing the other aspects of the first team, but the defence has been a major problem for some time now and it really needs to be rebuilt.
Not just bring a LCB in to shore it up, but rebuild it entirely.
Properly.
With actual defenders.

Still things to work on and problems to solve but given the high turnaround in players that was always going to be the case.

Encouraging that we turned it around today and got a draw, we’ll get there but it’ll take some time.

Hopefully the second half gave those who had chucked the whole thing at 2-0 down some pause for thought.

The 3-4 windows patter is comfort blanket stuff. Postecoglu came in and won a double in his first season and look what he inherited from TLB. Trophies must be lifted this season. No excuses
It took Ange a few months to get his ideas across.
I think we were around 7 points in front of them going into the break.
So we also need to be a little patient.

Much improved second half, we need Goldson, Souttar and even Davies back asap, and for those screaming for Yilmaz to replace Barasic, think again. Lundstram isn’t the answer in midfield, Raskin was poor today, as was Cantwell, Sinna showed nothing once again. On the plus side Butland looks the part, Lammers was excellent, Dessers will improve with game time, and Danilo will be brilliant against Scottish opposition.

To be honest I think young Devine has shown up better defensively than the pair of them. He at least knows how to block a cross and pass to someone in his team.

A decent enough result, when you consider they pumped Feyenoord 4-2 last week, but a mixture of positives and negatives.

On the negative side, Yilmaz had a difficult game and left back looks our main concern.
Yfeko is never a 1st team level central defender, but those of us who watch the B team already knew that.

On the plus side, Lammers already looks a great signing and his header was a lovely finish, from a great Tavernier cross.

We'll hopefully look far stronger defensively when Souttar and Goldson return.

Jack also showed why he'll still be a key player in big games.

Tactics are a concern.

This super narrow formation with no width at all isn’t working.

At least he changed it second half but it does worry me he will continue with it.

It’s not just the tactics but the balance of the team doesn’t work. Cantwell just isn’t suited to the midfield and is a man down when asked to play there. For me we need jack to play as he offers us a composure none of the rest really have and it allows Raskin to step up.

Plus points, Lammers is impressing and although he didn’t do much Danilo looks like he’ll be a good player as well.

If this is the end of pre season and the majority are as 'fit' as they're going to be, then by christ I hope next week is spent light on training and heavy on tactical work.

Keep everybody healthy and ticking over and come up with something of a shape and a game plan please.

We look very disjointed.

Defence really is terrible.
Instead of spending all that money on attackers we should have focused more on defence imo.
Dessers or Danilo, preferably Danilo would have done & we should have left Sima.
Tav has been atrocious since what feels like forever now.
Barasic actually skinned 2 players then made the hardest pass possible, Backwards.
I thought with time Ridvan would turn good now im not so sure.
Scary that MB keeps getting his starting 11 so wrong this close to the start of the season.
He got it so wrong so many times last season & i thought he'd learned from it but clearly not.

Back