Match Thread TSG Hoffenheim v Rangers - 14:30 Saturday - RangersTV

Wel
Must admit that I'm a bit worried that our midfield seemed to improve when Dowell came on for Cantwell.
TC seems to be being wasted in whaetever tf role he's supposed to be doing.

Cantwell was the focus of anything that was good about us in last 4 months of the season. Admittedly pre,-season however whatever the formation, wherever he is slotted into the side isn't working. We have neutered him, he is a pale shadow of the player we saw last season.

Last edited:
Yes. That and some truly terrible centre half displays behind him last season, leaving Jack horrendously exposed.

I can even live with one full back disappearing upfield and Jack and others having to cover for that, but I will, for the life of me, never get my head round the constant sniping at Ryan Jack.

He’s an excellent footballer and that is why manager after manager keep picking him, including Steve the Alky for Scotland.
Along with Jack getting it, I think a lot of the shit Tav gets tossed at him isn't really his fault, and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some of it as he does have his moments. We play Tav as an attacking player, so when he is up the park, then it's really up to the defence to step up and be solid. I think a partnership of Souttar and Goldson will be good if both can get a decent run. But looking back over the years, we have had some not so great players in that CB roll to cover for Tav.

Agreed.
I think Sima will turn out to be one of the best signings... he didnt get to where he is without immense ability and i think we will see it emerge over the course of this season.
He had a tremendous interception around the half hour mark, thought he had some decent involvement today to be honest. Cut in a couple of times but had limited options the way Dessers was positioned at the time.

He needs to know his best team and shape now. It’s glaringly obvious left back and central defence is a problem. Can’t see where hagi fits in either. Big week incoming.

better 2nd half from us
overall a very tough watch and its going to be a long hard season with that defence continually shooting us in the foot, utter shambles at times
both fullbacks are weak and simply cannot defend and i wish Beale had built a stronger squad from the back because i do not trust our defence at all
Every goal we seem to concede is amateur hour and this goes back about 18 months. It needs sorting pronto.

It is obvious to every man and his dug that we we are weak defensively a follow on similar to Olympiakos.
Our biggest issue certainly today was the ball over the top of both fullbacks.
Tav Ridvan and Borna are never going to be decent defenders.
2 options:
We have to change the way we play and recruit defensively minded full backs with the knock on effect of being poorer offensively.
This will cost money and no chance of happening this window.
Second option is to make sure that our fullbacks get protection by closing down any opposition players quickly and not give them time to ping 30 or 40 yard balls over the top.
In saying that today and I hate to say it of a young player that Ridvan was red rotten caused 2 goals by weak tackling and not doing the basics in a one on
He wasn’t helped at the second one by failures in Central defence to react to the resultant cross.

Defensively we are miles of it.!

Unacceptably amateurish and wee Tom and KT are a truly awful listen.
Can't fault Tom's love and knowledge of the club but not suitable as commentator material.
RTV bosses need to address this.
But I will still choose RTV over Sky and Crocker any day of the week.
Tom should be 'promoted' to head tour guide in the museum.

The defence looks shockingly poor at the moment and without being overly dramatic I do feel it would be bordering on neglect to reach the end of the window without adding to it when we’ve spent so heavily elsewhere, but our inability to control the middle of the park is contributing to the pressure on the back four.

Hoffenheim were playing through and around us with ease at times, just as Olympiacos did in midweek with simple pass and move one-twos and triangles.

Beale isn’t a bad coach, but that isn’t enough for us I’m afraid. He’s going to need to show that all of these attacking players he’s signed for the system he’s intending is something he can bring together into a really slick and effective football team, and he’s going to need to do it quickly.
A long hopeful diagonal over the full backs is all it’s taking.

It is obvious to every man and his dug that we we are weak defensively a follow on similar to Olympiakos.
Our biggest issue certainly today was the ball over the top of both fullbacks.
Tav Ridvan and Borna are never going to be decent defenders.
2 options:
We have to change the way we play and recruit defensively minded full backs with the knock on effect of being poorer offensively.
This will cost money and no chance of happening this window.
Second option is to make sure that our fullbacks get protection by closing down any opposition players quickly and not give them time to ping 30 or 40 yard balls over the top.
In saying that today and I hate to say it of a young player that Ridvan was red rotten caused 2 goals by weak tackling and not doing the basics in a one on
He wasn’t helped at the second one by failures in Central defence to react to the resultant cross.

Defensively we are miles of it.!
That’s 3 goals in 4 days he’s cost us. Very worrying.

Norwich comfortably beating olympiacos today.

Theres no getting away from it we have been very poor in the preseason games.

Early days but still some concerning signs with killie away 7 days away and our first champions league qualifier 10 days.
Are Norwich trying to blend in 10 new players?

Still not fixed the 5 year probkem of a ball inside our full backs crossed accross the box for a tap in. Was happening under gerrard as well. Sadly for us its one of that lots strengths also

No allowance for the centerbacks being 5th and 6th choice?

Only 1 of the centre backs was an issue tbf and realistically he won't be anywhere near the 1st team in competitive games, but the left back position is the biggest worry for me.

While Goldson and Souttar will be absolutely solid in central defence, neither Yilmaz or Barisic have looked convincing.

Just the other day people questioned why the manager extended Jacks contract and today was another example why a fully fit and firing Ryan Jack could be vital for our season both in the league and in Europe.

While I don't think he'll be risked on the Killie pitch, he's an absolute certainty to start in the CL qualifier.

Defensively we're still far from where we need to be. I'm still worried it'll cost us big time.

Especially the fact that many of the goals we concede seem to still be the same as the last few years.

My take on that match.Different day ,same crap .
Both full backs badly exposed to simple long balls time and again.
Our inability to control a ball,find a gers shirt with a pass or put in a tackle that doesn't have half hearted stamped all over it is astounding .
Jack's intro helped and no idea why MB preferred to start Lunstram after his horror show in the last game.
Tav,doing what he usually does :mad:AGHHHH
Ridvan,good grief ,abysmal start to end.Anyone still think he better than Borna?
Maybe MB reads his fan club postings on here too much.
Only Lammers showed anything like it should be on the offenceive front until the changes and why tf is he playing Cantwell so deep when he is one of our real threats in supporting the attack.
On the plus side ,I think we have won a raffle in Lammers ,great player and Danilo looked busy when coming on too.Butland some good saves to rescue Tav in particular and looks commanding at crosses which was badly lacking before .
Things can only improve but it needs to start happening and quickly too

Last edited:
Panty wetters out in force ....wait til next week when we take a barrowload of Killie and they'll be saying " we should be doing that anyway ". We're all entitled to our opinion and it is a forum for all . But ffs we don't need to hear it every game especially matches that don't earn us any points.

The defence wasn't great at times but the lack of midfield cover was an issue throughout the first half. Cantwell is good going forward but having him help Yilmaz left our left side exposed a lot.

Will be curious to see if we can get Kamara, Sakala and Wright moved on and allow maybe another centre back to be signed.

Defensively we're still far from where we need to be. I'm still worried it'll cost us big time.

Especially the fact that many of the goals we concede seem to still be the same as the last few years.

The left back position is our biggest concern.
Neither Yilmaz or Barisic have looked convincing.

I'm not so worried about central defence.

You have to take into account that Yfeko won't be anywhere near competitive 1st team games and was only playing today because of Goldson and King's injuries and Souttar and Davies having a sickness bug.

The improvement when he went off and Lundstram went to central defence was pretty dramatic, but hopefully that's the last time this season we see Lundstram in central defence.

No disrespect mate but if you are writing anyone after 4 pre season games footballs not for you
All about opinions etc.

not writing him off, just saying you’d like to see something… anything, but we’ve literally seen nothing. It’s a bit of a concern for me, if he’s a likely starter.

Back