Match Thread TSG Hoffenheim v Rangers - 14:30 Saturday - RangersTV

Must admit that I'm a bit worried that our midfield seemed to improve when Dowell came on for Cantwell.
TC seems to be being wasted in whaetever tf role he's supposed to be doing.

And it's got to be said that ending up with BOTH Borna and Ridvan on the left of our defence ... well, it's a miracle that Hoffenheim never scored with the amount of absolute fa**ying about at the back on that side due to the two of them.

I'm pleased that we're addressing the other aspects of the first team, but the defence has been a major problem for some time now and it really needs to be rebuilt.
Not just bring a LCB in to shore it up, but rebuild it entirely.
Properly.
With actual defenders.

The great Rangers sides have been built from the defence outwards. We need back to that ethos, and pronto.

Hopefully the first hour will calm the shouts for 442 for a lifetime

Jack through ball changed the game when he took over from lundstrum in the middle. The latter should now be considered 5th choice cb and not a midfielder

Ridvan had his worst game to date, but i would give him August at least as starting lb, still think he is the answer

We won’t meet up with teams like Olimpiakos and Hoffenheim in the SPL. I can’t see the likes of Killie and the rest of the daddy teams giving us much trouble this year. It has been a learning experience for a whole new team so, let’s just sit back and when this team gels, enjoy the thrashings we will be handing out.

100% agree. It's absolute suicide. They are being caught out almost every time. Teams with a faster press will slaughter us.

It’s definately going to end in tears. We will get away with it domestically because most teams don’t even press but against Celtic and europe we will get slaughtered. There is no way Walter would have his players taking risks from every by kick

There were some positive moments with the ball, but the defence badly needs sorted. Even when all of the main CBs are fit, Goldson and Souttar are the only two I trust but then there are the obvious fitness concerns with Souttar.

We’ve spent 14 million on 3 strikers
And if we'd spent 4m you'd be on here moaning about shopping in the bargain basement.

Tav, Sterling, Goldson, Souttar, Davies, Balogun, Barisic, Ridvan, Devine is a far from perfect bunch of options, but we're only 2 years down the line from 4 of them setting a defensive record (with the current manager generally regarded as the guy who masterminded that system).

We've improved the goalkeeper over last season too, and added more in midfield.

Plus, the window is still open.

A good fight back. Glad we showed some character. That said the constant playing the ball around at the back inviting a high press needs to stop
A good fight back? We got level because they took off and put on about an entire team in one go. Once their subs had settled they looked more likely to win.

Can you? You're a better visionary than me then.
Yes the main negatives are the left which maybe Sterling can improve and hopefully a new player or 2 coming that can improve LCB/LB

Midfield seems fine to start with Jack and Raskin then go from there.

Dessers just needs more service and fitness it will be interesting to see a sharp version of him.

Sima may have a big impact off the bench I honestly don’t know what to expect from him or wether he will start or not.

Cantwell and Dowell I think will have a big impact once they adapt to the style of play

Lammers will just do Lammers things

Danilo looked sharp

Also got to remember we had 4 games in 12 days with double training sessions in between.

The left side of defense is a bombscare and it is affecting the balance on the right side and midfield.
It is scary so close to the start of season.

A decent enough result, when you consider they pumped Feyenoord 4-2 last week, but a mixture of positives and negatives.

On the negative side, Yilmaz had a difficult game and left back looks our main concern.
Yfeko is never a 1st team level central defender, but those of us who watch the B team already knew that.

On the plus side, Lammers already looks a great signing and his header was a lovely finish, from a great Tavernier cross.

We'll hopefully look far stronger defensively when Souttar and Goldson return.

Jack also showed why he'll still be a key player in big games.
What I liked most about big Lammers' goal was there was no fannying about with the cross - pass, control, cross, goal. Last season Tav would have taken a few touches/stopped before crossing.

Why should it take 3-4 windows? We’ve all spoke on here about the defence for ages and he’s done nothing to address it

A real rangers manager is brave and dumps both full backs
Cash! It's quite simple really.

The overhaul we need is massive, can't be done in one or two windows. We've actually done much more business than any one of us imagined. Question is have we spent enough on the defensive side of things. I think not but the windows not over yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Down to the real business next Saturday then (August is going to give us the true picture).

As much as the defence is concerning, I don't think we'll watch any of these 4 regularly this season

It will be:

RB: Sterling
RCB: Souttar/Goldson
LCB: NEW SIGNING
LB : NEW SIGNING

Defenders are naturally harder to find but I'd be we'll close on the two new players within the next couple of weeks.

Seen much of Sterling have we?

Dare I say it Cantwell doesn't work in this formation?
This is a dilemma. Both of them are suited to the central role behind the striker . Tillman played there last season, then when he got injured cantwell played there and took his game to a new level. Real decisions to be made with players and fitting them in to the formation Beale wants to play.

The defence looks shockingly poor at the moment and without being overly dramatic I do feel it would be bordering on neglect to reach the end of the window without adding to it when we’ve spent so heavily elsewhere, but our inability to control the middle of the park is contributing to the pressure on the back four.

Hoffenheim were playing through and around us with ease at times, just as Olympiacos did in midweek with simple pass and move one-twos and triangles.

Beale isn’t a bad coach, but that isn’t enough for us I’m afraid. He’s going to need to show that all of these attacking players he’s signed for the system he’s intending is something he can bring together into a really slick and effective football team, and he’s going to need to do it quickly.

Overall it seems to have been a very physically demanding pre season and the calibre of opponent has been fairly high which I’ve been glad to see, always comes with the risk of unfavourable results. Especially following so much change to the squad.

Definitely positives to take from some of our play and some of the signings. Lammers and Butland especially so far.

But, aye, defensive concerns are absolutely justified. Great window for transfers but we have issues needing addressed back there very quickly.

Cash! It's quite simple really.

The overhaul we need is massive, can't be done in one or two windows. We've actually done much more business than any one of us imagined. Question is have we spent enough on the defensive side of things. I think not but the windows not over yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
We’ve got cash

We spend it wrong

Watching this about 15 minutes behind, but RTV Tom has just announced Barisic is a "direct replacement for Ridvan" .... then Ridvan takes the throw in to restart the game.
Unacceptably amateurish and wee Tom and KT are a truly awful listen.
Can't fault Tom's love and knowledge of the club but not suitable as commentator material.
RTV bosses need to address this.
But I will still choose RTV over Sky and Crocker any day of the week.

We won’t meet up with teams like Olimpiakos and Hoffenheim in the SPL. I can’t see the likes of Killie and the rest of the daddy teams giving us much trouble this year. It has been a learning experience for a whole new team so, let’s just sit back and when this team gels, enjoy the thrashings we will be handing out.
Norwich comfortably beating olympiacos today.

Theres no getting away from it we have been very poor in the preseason games.

Early days but still some concerning signs with killie away 7 days away and our first champions league qualifier 10 days.

Jack & Raskin in the middle of the park makes the defence a lot stronger, my concern was Ridvan tucking in too much, but that myahve been to be close to Yfeko. He also needs some support from the LHS midfielder.

Dessers not fit yet, Danilo is, so I hope we see Danilo next week.

Lammers the pick of the bunch.

Still things to work on and problems to solve but given the high turnaround in players that was always going to be the case.

Encouraging that we turned it around today and got a draw, we’ll get there but it’ll take some time.

Hopefully the second half gave those who had chucked the whole thing at 2-0 down some pause for thought.
We learn from every game, the optimist in me takes comfort that we did recover and get ourselves back into the game from 2 goals down to decent opposition. Changes were made and they worked and squad cohesion is only going to improve.

Will be good for them to have the week to prepare for killie with less focus on physical demand.

The 3-4 windows patter is comfort blanket stuff. Postecoglu came in and won a double in his first season and look what he inherited from TLB. Trophies must be lifted this season. No excuses
Comfort blanket? right you are mate, I think it was sensible thinking tbh. How much did postecoglu spend as a matter of interest?

Let's be honest the amount of money we have to spend isn't going to be anywhere near their spend.

The board have stepped up big time so far and hopefully it continues and it can be done sooner.

And yes trophies need win this year especially the account we've spent so far.

Agreed.
I think Sima will turn out to be one of the best signings... he didnt get to where he is without immense ability and i think we will see it emerge over the course of this season.
All his best YouTube highlights are from 2-3 years ago. Let's hope he gets his form back.

Back