Argentine Superliga

Reports in Argentina suggesting the 23 man squad is already known as AFA put the names up on the training ground doors. The 12 left out are reportedly: Guzman, Funes Mori, Pezzella, Ansaldi, Paredes, Enzo Perez, Pablo Perez, Battaglia, Meza, Perotti, Icardi and Lautaro Martinez.

On this day in 1953 Argentina defeated Englnad for the first time. Ernesto Grillo's first goal, in the 3-1 victory, is famously remembered as the 'impossible goal'.

Losing 1-0 Jonathan Wilson describes he equaliser scored a minute later: Carlos Lacaisa picked the ball up in midfield and laid it short to Carlos Ceconato, who sent it wide to Ernesto Grillo. He beat Billy Wright on the outside, then twisted by Tommy Garrett , the full-back, before dumping Malcolm Barrass on the ground with a feint. As he cut into the box, Ted Ditchburn, the keeper, came to meet him, but went down too soon, allowing Grillo to smash the ball over him into the top corner.

This remains an inconic goal for Argentina with a large print of it hanging in the foyer of the Players Union.

DdLFshlWsAYNTZH.jpg:large

I decided I wasn’t going to post again on this thread until Boca were champions. Every time I discussed it they were pegged back, so decided not to mention it again :D

It was closer than it should have been. If Benedetto had not got injured Boca would have won it ages ago imho.

I decided I wasn’t going to post again on this thread until Boca were champions. Every time I discussed it they were pegged back, so decided not to mention it again :D

It was closer than it should have been. If Benedetto had not got injured Boca would have won it ages ago imho.

Even though they are champions it's an even bigger set of games tonight in the CL. If they finish third it wouldn't a surprise to see GBS sacked.

Agree about Benedetto. Such a shame about his injury as he was in the form of his life. If he had maintained anything like then he'd be going to the World Cup as well.

Agreed, Boca absolutely have to win tonight. No ifs or buts, has to be a victory. Even then Palmeiras could scupper it by fielding a weakened team. Do you know if they plan to do that?

Agreed, Boca absolutely have to win tonight. No ifs or buts, has to be a victory. Even then Palmeiras could scupper it by fielding a weakened team. Do you know if they plan to do that?

Haven't heard anything, but I don't really follow Brazilian football and can't speak Portuguese to have a check.

Trouble after Racing's shock exit from the Copa Argentina to Sarmiento saw 80 members of the barra brava arrested.

DdepBZWUQAA53rL.jpg:large

Boca are intereted in Huracan's Pussetto, probably as a replacement for Pavon. Udinese have bid $8m, but Huracan want $10m.

Frank Kudelka will be leaving Talleres. He has done a magnificent job, taking them from the equivalent of the third division to Libertadores qualification in four seasons.

Edgardo Bauza is the new manager of Rosario.

https://www.fanatiz.com/

Fanatiz have linked up with TyC Sports for the World Cup, bringing all of the programming from the Argentine station... except the actual games.

The Fanatiz coverage will also include two daily editions of “Fanatiz es Mundial”, providing a South American perspective.

On this day in 1953 Argentina defeated Englnad for the first time. Ernesto Grillo's first goal, in the 3-1 victory, is famously remembered as the 'impossible goal'.

Losing 1-0 Jonathan Wilson describes he equaliser scored a minute later: Carlos Lacaisa picked the ball up in midfield and laid it short to Carlos Ceconato, who sent it wide to Ernesto Grillo. He beat Billy Wright on the outside, then twisted by Tommy Garrett , the full-back, before dumping Malcolm Barrass on the ground with a feint. As he cut into the box, Ted Ditchburn, the keeper, came to meet him, but went down too soon, allowing Grillo to smash the ball over him into the top corner.

This remains an inconic goal for Argentina with a large print of it hanging in the foyer of the Players Union.

DdLFshlWsAYNTZH.jpg:large

What stadium is that they're playing in, impressive looking for 65 years ago, it's certainly a wee bit better than Brockville.

Frank Kudelka will be leaving Talleres. He has done a magnificent job, taking them from the equivalent of the third division to Libertadores qualification in four seasons.

Edgardo Bauza is the new manager of Rosario.

Reports in Clarin that Talleres are hoping to convince Marcelo Bielsa to become their new manager. Was any reason given for Kudelka's departure?

He's done a terrific job and would have thought he wanted to take them into the Libertadores.

It was. Apparently 120,000 in attendance including the Perons.

"We nationalised the railways, and now we have nationalised football!" was said by a politician following the game:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/feb/25/falklands.world8

This book is well worth a read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Animals-St...TF8&qid=1526683775&sr=1-1&keywords=neil+clack

Don't be put off by the title, as I initially was, as it is no reflection on the tone of the book. Apparently the author isn't happy about it either, but didn't have a choice.

Reports in Clarin that Talleres are hoping to convince Marcelo Bielsa to become their new manager. Was any reason given for Kudelka's departure?

He's done a terrific job and would have thought he wanted to take them into the Libertadores.

I think Kudelka was always going to move - what more could he do?

Read the reports about Bielsa. He had talks with Andres Fassi, but nobody is sure if this is to do with Talleres or with Liga MX side, Pachuca, who Fassi is also involved with.

Players training at the Monumnetal, under the watchful eye of National team coach, Guillermo Stabile, prior to him selecting the final squad to go to the 1958 World Cup. This was the tournament La Nuestra died.

DdmUowXUwAAFnsb.jpg:large

The great Angel Labruna (part of La Maquina and second top scorer in the Primera) with his son Daniel in 1960. Every year on September 28th River Plate fans celebrate the International River Plate fans day as a tribute to Labruna - this would have been his birthday.

DdurrKgVMAICrHV.jpg:large

Lautaro Martinez says he'll try and delay his $30m transfer to Inter until January to try and help Raing win the Libertadores.

I'm still amazed they haven't taken Icardi.

If the suggestions are correct, that Messi had a big say in the squad, then it isn't a surprise.

To be fair, his form for Argentina has been poor, but you could say the same about Higuain.

If the suggestions are correct, that Messi had a big say in the squad, then it isn't a surprise.

To be fair, his form for Argentina has been poor, but you could say the same about Higuain.

Is it still about Icardi and Maxi Lopez's ex?

Looks like Kudelka will be the new Universidad de Chile manager.

RB Leipzig have apparently bid €10m for River full-back Marcelo Saracchi. River paid Danubio $2.3m for him a year ago.

On this day in 1940 one of the iconic stadiums, La Bombonera, finally opened. San Lorenzo were the first opponents, in a friendly, and due to there being no floodlights the game only lasted 70 minutes:

DeDSS2QWsAEjr-R.jpg:large

Last edited:
Lautaro Martinez has completed a 5 year deal to Inter. He wont be staying at Racing until the end of the year.

Today is the birthday of World Cup winning captain, and one of the greatest ever defenders, Daniel Passeralla. For a centre back he had a remarkable goalsoring record: 22 in 70 internationals.

DeDwsBwW0AAq-kp.jpg

His record was phenomenal. He really meant business when he went up.

His record was phenomenal. He really meant business when he went up.

He was fantastic. I appreciate it was a long time ago, and we were only boys, but I don't remember him being that tall. He just seemed to have an amazing leap.

He was President when River got relegated so a lot of River fans now hate him. Also, had some dodgy connections with the River barra brava.

It's not a brave selection from Sampaoli and he's put a lot of hope in some experienced legs. It wasn't really anticipated otherwise.

I hope Armani gets the start.

Yeah, I would have liked a bit more energy in midfield (Ascacibar) and Martinez for Higuain, but as you say no real surprises.

Apparently, Mercado is a doubt so there may be another replacement.

Some were clinging on to hope, but it was never a goer. It's a pity as Racing have been playing some lovely football since Coudet took over - way of the world, though.

Yeah, I feel old saying this but money is killing the game. The differentials between leagues and, in Europe, within leagues are just too large.

Back