Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

From today’s DR

Victims in the Celtic Boys Club scandal are being assessed for psychological damage caused by their abusers.

It comes as Celtic FC are believed to be preparing to pay compensation following claims made against the club by more than 20 people.

Gordon Woods, who was repeatedly assaulted by convicted beast Jim Torbett, said a “class-action” lawsuit, brought against the club, has reached a crucial stage.

The 69-year-old, who faced Torbett in court last year and saw him brought to justice after five decades, said he answered hundreds of questions, as part of the process, which would incorporate evidence of a devastating suicide attempt.

He said the move shows Celtic chiefs remain intent on having the cases dealt with behind closed doors.

Gordon said: “I’d an appointment with a psychologist, appointed by the lawyers in the case and Celtic to speak to each individual victim and assess the damage that has been caused over a period of time.

“In my particular case that was a whole lifetime because this happened to me 50 years ago.

“An assessment is to be made for the damage that has been done and any offer of compensation will be determined from the psychologist’s view of how the damage has affected them.

“It’s now been more than two months since Celtic made the offer to negotiate to settle out of court.

“This shows things are moving forward because if there are no offers made within the appropriate timescale then the class action takes effect and we go to court.”

Several former coaches and officials at Celtic Boys Club – a feeder team to the senior Celtic side – have been convicted of sexual offences against teenage players spanning decades.

Celtic previously said it took the allegations “extremely seriously” but was not responsible because the Boys Club was an “entirely separate” organisation.

Lawyers acting for the former players argue the Boys Club and Celtic were “intimately connected” and the senior club was “vicariously liable” for the abuse.

Last year a judge gave the go-ahead for a US-style class action – or group litigation – to proceed against Celtic and, in September, lawyers acting for more than 20 men were told the club intended to enter settlement negotiations.

The litigation, run by Thompsons Solicitors, relates to historical claims of sex attacks by convicted paedophile Jim Torbett, founder of the Boys Club, and ex-coach Frank Cairney.

Torbett, 76, was jailed for three years last April for preying on Gordon, his third child abuse conviction. He was already serving six years for sex offences on boys.

Gordon, who has waived his right to anonymity, was left tormented after assaults which took place in Torbett’s car, a flat and a shop in Glasgow. He said the psychological assessments would be traumatic for many.

He said: “Over the course of a week I have had numerous emails from this particular psychologist with questionnaires I had to complete before the meeting. They contained maybe 500-600 questions which I had to complete on my history, going back to school days.

“What transpired was that all my medical records backed up the statements I had made in the past.

“But I was hospitalised in 1999 for a period of three weeks after a suicide attempt. Those records are missing so they will now be asked to forward those to my lawyers and that will not be looked into. Because my case has been determined in a court of law there was no reason to question me on the abuse and that was eliminated from the conversation, but I don’t think that will be the case for all of the victims who have not yet had the satisfaction of a court appearance.

“Each time you have to relay your story to complete strangers it is very difficult.”

Gordon has spoken of his wish for the class action to proceed through court, saying Celtic should be publicly held to account for decades of abuse at the Boys Club.

He said: “It’s an horrific situation we have found ourselves in.

“If Celtic had admitted liability decades ago all the pain these victims have been through could have been avoided.”

Celtic were approached for comment.
What a shower of denying, enabling rhat scumbags, htf do they sleep at night , putting people through that pain knowing full well it’s all true ! Just to save the brand ! It’s disgusting,

Gordon you have shown great fortitude throughout your courageous struggle.

The dignity and class you have displayed stands in stark contrast to the shameless conduct of that vile club and their sick apologists in trying to cover up their crimes.

It is almost impossible to try to comprehend the extent of the pain and torment you and so many other victims and survivors have suffered at their hands.

I wish you all the very best for the future.

The thing that really does my cant in us the way David goodwillie has been attacked by this country's government and media but these pedophile protecting bastards are protected with no repercussions at all. The way the media keep bringing up Prince Andrew as well but not these cants.
Cultic FC fcuking scotlands shame
The main reason is that a considerable percentage of the legal system, media and politicians are yahoos. I recall one 'international journalist', his name escapes me, who tweeted in a reply to a tweet asking why he hasn't investigated the celtic boys club scandal, "I don't report non stories". This was given more exposure when the Heart and Hand lads were giving them a taste of their own medicine. Absolute pond life, the lot of them.

The main reason is that a considerable percentage of the legal system, media and politicians are yahoos. I recall one 'international journalist', his name escapes me, who tweeted in a reply to a tweet asking why he hasn't investigated the celtic boys club scandal, "I don't report non stories". This was given more exposure when the Heart and Hand lads were giving them a taste of their own medicine. Absolute pond life, the lot of them.
Even pond life are better life forms than they cants

These delaying tactics do not sit well with any argument that they are doing “the right thing” even though it is nothing to do with them.

There's no words to adequately describe my contempt for what is undoubtedly the most corrupt and calculated organisation in the sporting world.

Obviously as a life long Rangers supporter I've always held a healthy dislike of their "club" and it's custodians. However, their handling of such a sensitive matter in modern day Scotland is way beyond callous. It's taken some doing but c****c really have managed a new low with this.

How they have been allowed to operate, and indeed thrive in business circles speaks volumes of the world we live in. All the while actively projecting themselves as something entirely different from the now glaring reality.

Shame on them for the past of course, but also shame on every single last one of their supporters furnished with all the facts, yet still continuing to back something which openly mock's human decency.

Has an actual court date been pencilled in for this?

If not they will try and drag it out for as long as they can.
The substantive case was adjourned, but I’m not sure if the court set a date for a return.
What normally happens in situations like this when negotiations are taking place on a settlement, the court does set a return date just to focus minds, but a lot of time that date is vacated by consent of both parties if they are still negotiating.

There's no words to adequately describe my contempt for what is undoubtedly the most corrupt and calculated organisation in the sporting world.

Obviously as a life long Rangers supporter I've always held a healthy dislike of their "club" and it's custodians. However, their handling of such a sensitive matter in modern day Scotland is way beyond callous. It's taken some doing but c****c really have managed a new low with this.

How they have been allowed to operate, and indeed thrive in business circles speaks volumes of the world we live in. All the while actively projecting themselves as something entirely different from the now glaring reality.

Shame on them for the past of course, but also shame on every single last one of their supporters furnished with all the facts, yet still continuing to back something which openly mock's human decency.
You have put into very eloquent words what most of us are thinking Bluethruandthru. I think your last sentence, in particular, hits the nail on the head.

Just a wee update on my case.
Guy was found guilty on 15th December of Lewd, Indecent & Libidinous behaviour & also found guilty of other charges of a serious nature.
He was due to be sentenced tomorrow in Dundee but just had a call from the PF.
They've moved the sentencing but don't have a date yet & when they have a date set they'll let me know.
They said the judge was reading my Victim Impact Statement so not sure if that's whats delaying it or not.

Guy was found guilty on 15th December of Lewd, Indecent & Libidinous behaviour & also found guilty of other charges of a serious nature.
They've moved the sentencing but don't have a date yet & when they have a date set they'll let me know.
They said the judge was reading my Victim Impact Statement so not sure if that's whats delaying it or not.
Scotland is a pretty disgraceful country on this very subject. Hang on in there, Neil.

All that mob are doing is kicking the can down the road in the hope the victims will lose heart and buckle. I suspect no offer will come in till the last few days in an attempt to put more pressure on the victims for a settlement. They are truly disgusting. The fact that this is pretty much under the rest of Scotlands radar and the UK beggars belief.

All that mob are doing is kicking the can down the road in the hope the victims will lose heart and buckle. I suspect no offer will come in till the last few days in an attempt to put more pressure on the victims for a settlement. They are truly disgusting. The fact that this is pretty much under the rest of Scotlands radar and the UK beggars belief.
Arguably the most sinister aspect of this. There have been similar scandals elsewhere sadly, but none so wilfully ignored by the media and political establishment.

Objectively, this is a massive, generational scandal - since when do the sensationalist hacks in the press ignore that sort of thing?

The reports we've seen so far have been more like a grudging acknowledgement, with the usual salacious 24/7 witch hunt strangely absent. I guess they reserve that treatment for the important stuff, like footballers caught cheating on their wives.

Another update guys.
PF just phoned & sentencing has been moved from today in Dundee to 7th March in Edinburgh.
I asked why the delay & he said theres nothing sinister at all & apparently the judge didnt have everything in front of him at the time of sentencing.
I asked why they've moved it to Edinburgh & he says its because the judge will be in Edinburgh at that time.
They also need Victim Impact Statements from the other boys & a social work report to see why he done what he done & if he has any remorse.
Absolutely scunnered but it is what it is.
Im just glad hes been found guilty as my biggest fear was nobody would believe me.
Just the fact its dragging on & on thats pissing me off.

Another update guys.
PF just phoned & sentencing has been moved from today in Dundee to 7th March in Edinburgh.
I asked why the delay & he said theres nothing sinister at all & apparently the judge didnt have everything in front of him at the time of sentencing.
I asked why they've moved it to Edinburgh & he says its because the judge will be in Edinburgh at that time.
They also need Victim Impact Statements from the other boys & a social work report to see why he done what he done & if he has any remorse.
Im just glad hes been found guilty as my biggest fear was nobody would believe me.
Hope you get justice ,these predators should not be allowed to breathe our air.

Last edited:
Another update guys.
It sounds like you're almost there and you've came such a long road. Stay strong mate.

Trophies and football have nothing to do with this and should be kept out of it. These lads need justice for what happened to them and that’s accountability and sentencing from the bastards that done it.

They should be shut down, strip the fucking lot.

This abuse happened at the football club and other places.

A place where children should be safe to fulfil their dreams of playing professional football one day instead of having their dreams shattered by being abused.

People at the club knew and did nothing!

Going by Gordons post it would seem Celtic have not made any sort of offer to be considered or thought over.
What price the life of a kid? That's what they need to ask themselves. They can't though, can they? That is admission of guilt.

Hopefully their lawyers are rebutting their initial pitiful offers until it gets back to court.

I know it's stalling, I know it's delaying and I cant even begin to imagine how the victims feel, it does feel like they're in the corner with nowhere to go now and I pray that it ends in a way that at least allows the victims some form of comfort.

Going by Gordons post it would seem Celtic have not made any sort of offer to be considered or thought over.
Perhaps not that Gordon is aware of.

But we have just had a glimpse of how deceitful and secretive the SNP are and I doubt that Seperate Entity FC will operate much differently.

The Survivors need all the support that they can get and then some.

It’s a tragic situation.

Trophies and football have nothing to do with this and should be kept out of it. These lads need justice for what happened to them and that’s accountability and sentencing from the bastards that done it.
The victims are priority but if they didn’t cover it up to win trophies or to do with football related matter then why did they?
Was Stein also a paedo? Was it board members that were paedos and that’s why they created an environment for the paedos to go undeterred and unanswered for decades.

It was either covered up and enabled for football matters or because the leading members were also paedos and were participating directly with the others.

Avoidance FC have been ducking and diving serious issues for decades, their dereliction of duty, negligence for the safety of children and young persons falls on multiple parties and administrations.
Time to pay up for the life sentences that the victims are serving ,the torment they have to endure on a daily basis. So many wrongs and failings, shame on each and everyone who did nothing? A scandal of epic proportions and no remorse whatsoever ,Scotlands shame.

They’ve brought the game into serious disrepute and should be punished accordingly

Sporting sanctions should be the very least as any other club would be lucky to survive what they’ve done and facilitated and continue to do so all these years later

At this stage, 100%

But at some point, the very real question of sporting integrity and punitive damage needs to be addressed by the sporting authorities.

And if the boot was on the other foot they would be looking to get us shut down they have to suffer on all fronts

Maybe just maybe they're starting to get it?

Had a complete wow moment at work yesterday 3 of them talking amongst them selves how bad the board are, "plc get them to f**K, nepotism, charlatans, jobs for the boys should be out of sight".
I was chipping on with the odd "yeah you lot should be out of sight for the rest of time yadah yadah"
Then one of them chips in with "and another thing get those victims paid, every single one of them". It's fecking shocking the way we've treated them, I'm scunnered I've given my season book away for the last 2 months. I'm that fecking angry with them I can't even bear to watch them", the other 2 puts there heads down he says you 2 are part of the problem. Imagine if that was your kids get a grip!! They were like naw I agree with you.
I just stood there mouth gaping.
I have never ever ever heard them say anything about this until now!
Hopefully a lot follow, we can only live in hope.

Back