Match Thread Rangers v FK Shkupi - 19:45 Thursday 12th - BT Sports

Slack in the midfield and up top, too many loose passes. Shagger has had very little to do but we need to move the ball quicker.

Should be 5 up, really enjoyed that though. They are a tidy enough technical team. Time to kill the leg 2nd half.

Same old story our inability to pass through teams sees us whipping early balls from the wide areas that need at least 3-4 before Morelos can bundle one in.

We are decent at countering but our general build up play is a mixed bag.

A second goal will make all the difference. We're looking nervous at times and we've missed a few chances. We need to up the tempo, stop giving the ball away and improve our final ball.

Feel bad for Fredo-he is actually playing his way out of the team. You just can't keep missing like that. Although sadly enough he is not the only one.

We are miles ahead and pretty dominant until we get to the final third and then it looks hectic/rushed and is lacking quality and composure at the moment.

As I expected, dominant but a wee bit rusty.

Improvement required with the final ball into the box, a couple of times we should've been right in there apart from playing a pass behind the man instead of in front.

Their keeper looks not bad in the 6 yard box dealing with corners and crosses there quite easily but glad to see we're adapting and evolving as we go.

Need another couple in the 2nd half to out this to bed.

Should be out of sight, but I have seen this movie before, need to be more clinical infront of goal. Always a worry until number two or three goes in.

I hope we don't regret these like England last night. Morelos is almost the perfect striker. If he could finish.

Ok so far.
This is the first competitive game in ages.
Defence looks pretty assured.
I like the look of Flannagan, personally I’d like to see him at right back with Declan John at left

Alfredo HAS to start bagging these chances or he’s done ,we can’t afford to miss these chances ,two on a plate ,move over wee man I’ve a feeling a new kid is about to take your start striker mantle

Going to be honest here, I don’t see much change from last year, so flat and slow going forward and wasteful in final third. If we don’t have a 2 goal lead going over there I’ll be worried...

We need quality who are going to take their chances. Rushing it too much final third. Morelos cannot header a ball!

Always defend Morelos but honestly would take the cash. He misses an incredible amount of chances, the header over the bar from inside the six yard box was ridiculous.

Oops, throbber alert.

Think I’ll bow out of the match thread now before I get myself a ban. But too bad we couldn’t go more than 45 minutes of competitive action before piling in with the negativity.
spot on mate its the first competitive game and some have got there knickers in a twist already

Not at all. There's plenty of good points about his play but his finishing is awful. We can't have him as our main striker when his biggest flaw is his finishing.

Exactly, goals win games not hold up play.

I don't feel confident in him finishing when it really matters and for me that's not acceptable for Rangers starting striker.

It will certainly take the team time to gel. We can't expect miracles. Shkupi are tidy and caught us once on the break and hit the bar, so need to be careful and not take them for granted. Need to press higher up the pitch, quicker at passing and more methodical. We seem to be a little bit pedestrian in midfield. It will sort itself out. The signs are there.

Think Flanagan has had a terrific first half, McCrorie seems a bit flat footed tonight. Still 1-0 at half time with a few opportunities made, hopefully put tie to bed in 2nd half.

We need to improve decision making in the final 3rd. I have said this for 3 seasons now. We lack someone to cut people open, we lack the football intelligence at times and it is so frustrating.

However I feel better about this game than I did about the Progres game.

Oops, throbber alert.

Think I’ll bow out of the match thread now before I get myself a ban. But too bad we couldn’t go more than 45 minutes of competitive action before piling in with the negativity.

it's hardly piling in with the negativity. Some of us have extremely high standards. Steven Gerrard himself will have extremely high standards. It's okay to say when these standards aren't being met. Hibs are currently pumping their nobody opponents 4-0.

I trust Gerrard and his team to strive for excellence & that will mean performances like that first half will need improving and be rightfully questioned.

Too many knickers in a twist on here.

It's 45 minutes into the first competitive game. We've had all the ball and are 1 up. Let's not be overly negative because we're not 3 or 4 up. I'm confident we'll be more efficient in the second half when the Macedonians hopefully tire.

If we don't take at least 2 goals out there, we may find ourselves sweating.

Their keeper drops an easy save for us to score and we don't have another shot at him . we should be shooting to test him .

Back