Returning to Scotland. Where should I live.

South ayrshire has some nice spots to live in. Prestwick's sounds and you would get a lot for that money. A lot of Ayr is lovely too, particularly down towards alloway & doonfoot. Troon, too. You're also only 45 mins or so on the train from central.

Also in Galston Ayrshire and can get a great place with big garden for £250k-£300k. Only 30 minutes to Glasgow and 20 minutes to the coast. Troon is also a nice place but more expensive

We have friends who moved back to Scotland after 30 years in Belgium.

They are loving life on the East Neuk of Fife (micro-climate, apparently ).

My Grandparents were from just outside Dunfermline and I never knew the place existed.

Reminds me of Devon/Cornwall but probably too far from Glasgow.

Mossblown in Ayrshire.

Staunch as they come.

(Mossblown Loyal could give you the lowdown but I doubt very highly he'll re-register with that moniker)

Just a thought but have you ever considered moving to Northern Ireland? £250 to £300k would buy you a fantastic house over here.

Not just NI.

You'd get a cracking 4 bed in Broughty Ferry for that. ***Awaits The Dundee Bashing***

And with 3/4 supporters clubs either leaving or going via Dundee getting to the games is easy.

I would try West Lothian area, west Calder, kirknewton etc. Depending on how much your willing to part with. Going closer to cities i.e Glasgow or Edinburgh means higher pricing but good luck and welcome back you good for nothing jock ;)

I was thinking Edinburgh would be expensive. I have not ruled out Glasgow itself but maybe to but upper my retirement needs.

I wouldn't consider Bishopton.

It's like lego land now and the hearts been ripped out the village.

Depends if its new build you fancy or an older house.

Easy enough M77 motorway most of the way so 35mins. just watch out for the "average speed" cameras at the Dutch roundabout
That's easily within my preferred distance. I won't be commuting to work, just visiting relatives and attending matches, so hopefully will avoid peak traffic.

Without a doubt mate. Full Three Towns are. You get a lot of house for your money in the three towns, with some areas just as nice as anywhere else, and the amenities are decent too.

Not with the money he is spending. If he was looking to spend half that then ok

Consider Balloch area. Close enough to Glasgow but quite. Stunning scenery and the kind of budget you have will get you something really nice.

Newer houses at the bottom of Larkhall,2 miles walk from Chatelherault Park and 35 mins. from Merryton train station to Glasgow central.You won't get much more staunch but be miles away from the dodgy parts at the top of the town.4 miles to Hamilton for half decent food shops,gyms,restaurants etc.

Moved to Dunoon from south of England 2 years ago and love it. No idea why we chose there as I'm originally from Bishopton and had thought to move to Ayrshire but somehow we ended up here. Nice wee old fashioned town, plenty decent houses within your budget, mostly blue area and an RSC. Only downside is longer drive back for midweek matches as ferry stops at 10.30. Definitely would avoid Bishopton, it's a soulless dormitory town now and a far cry from the village I grew up in. But definitely consider Ayrshire

I'm from Glasgow originally, been in Largs for nearly 40 years, love the place. Good supporters club that runs buses to all the games, provided we get enough tickets, only 45 mins to Glasgow, good pubs and most are bear friendly, only 10 mins on ferry to Millport.
You would get a nice house for your price range.

Newer houses at the bottom of Larkhall,2 miles walk from Chatelherault Park and 35 mins. from Merryton train station to Glasgow central.You won't get much more staunch but be miles away from the dodgy parts at the top of the town.4 miles to Hamilton for half decent food shops,gyms,restaurants etc.

I seen a few houses I liked near Larkhall. I know it is a good Rangers area but don't know much about the town apart from that.

Well there's no need for that!

Some cracking houses at the north end of Ardrossan for that cash, with tremendous views of Arran.

I know there is. I wasn't looking to cause offense but if you had no particular ties and 300k to spend would you really move to the three towns?

I thought Stevenston was the blue nose one anyway.

Saltcoats is full of tims!

I know there is. I wasn't looking to cause offense but if you had no particular ties and 300k to spend would you really move to the three towns?

I thought Stevenston was the blue nose one anyway.

Saltcoats is full of tims!
Really, Is Saltcoats full of Tims?

I'm from Glasgow originally, been in Largs for nearly 40 years, love the place. Good supporters club that runs buses to all the games, provided we get enough tickets, only 45 mins to Glasgow, good pubs and most are bear friendly, only 10 mins on ferry to Millport.
You would get a nice house for your price range.

Thanks mate, sounds like a good bear friendly town.

I would appreciate some recommendations....

I currently live in Plymouth, but recently divorced and was made redundant. I am therefore considering relocating back to Scotland and also being semi retired. I quite fancy being able to watch us home and away again.

I have not lived in Scotland since the 1970's when I joined the Army. I am from Glasgow originally and have family there, but unsure about living the city life again.

Ideally I would like somewhere with reasonable house prices, bear friendly would be a bonus and within 40 miles of Glasgow ideally. I have looked on right move but have no idea whether an area is decent or not.

I would have asked this question in the lounge on the previous site so hopefully not inappropriate on here.

250/300k would get you a cracking house in Prestwick. Train or X77 to Glasgow in an hour, lovely wee town with plenty of restaurants and pubs to choose from and Hugh Burns has the Rangers games on in his pub on the Main Street.

I'm originally from Glasgow too but left in 2004/2005. I've stayed in Edinburgh, Fife and now Livingston. If you drive I really recommend it. £250k will get you a 4 bed in a nice part of town.

Ibrox is 40-45 min away, Glasgow itself 35min and Edinburgh 25min. Plenty Bears around too.

Back