Returning to Scotland. Where should I live.

Troon sounds the place for you virtually no crime quiet 5 golf coarses 30 minutes away from Glasgow.

Linlithgow - 20 mins to edin and 30 to Glasgow on train and similar drive wise. Historic town with plenty to do and all the facilities you need. Best town in Scotland imo

Stonehouse is a shitehole i'm afraid,drugs and crime problems for as long as I can remember and I'm told it's no better.Strathaven has the golf course and is nice but you need to drive everywhere,the transpost links are horrendous.

Aye the guy I quoted said Strathaven but is Stonehouse not the wee Village you go through on the way to Strathaven from EK? Has a golf course and driving range.

There is a lot of building going on in Strathaven and Stonehouse area right now. Solid Rangers towns. Very few shettlestons seen around these parts.

Stewart Milne and Wimpey are both building in Strathaven and there are new houses being built at the Strathaven end of Stonehouse. Can't remember the builder, but it's one of the national builders. Think any number of them will be in the OP price range.

My niece lives in Stepps and has a lovely house with good rail links to Glasgow.

I really like it moved here 4 years ago and with the M80 ,M73 ,M8 all handy it's great.
Also a supporters bus leaves from Moodiesburn just down the road,

Not much in the way of new houses but you will pick up a decent nearly new one for what you want to spend.

You'll get a nice house in Newton mearns for that money.

There is also Ralston but it doesn't have much beyond a couple of news agents and a golf course.

Both have less bams than the average area.

You could try Lesmahagow,right next to M74,20 to 30 minutes to Glasgow depending on traffic,ok if you want the quiet life.

Get Phil and Kirsty to do a programme on it. Knocking back somewhere cause it is Tim infested would make for good viewing

Blairgowrie, a great wee town, a proper busy town centre, (none of this town centre ghost town nonsense).
We have an excellent RSC.
Only 20 minutes to Perth and 25 to Dundee.

Your money will go a long way for a house purchase.

Oh and I live there!!!!

Another shout for the staunch village of Bishopton and only a handful of rattlers who know their place. 2 golf courses within 5 mins, 3 decent boozers, river and motorway (M8) 5 mins away, great supporters bus/club but wouldn't choose the new Dargavel village as you will get flooded someday and possibly grow extra limbs/eyes/growths.

Another shout for the staunch village of Bishopton and only a handful of rattlers who know their place. 2 golf courses within 5 mins, 3 decent boozers, river and motorway (M8) 5 mins away, great supporters bus/club but wouldn't choose the new Dargavel village as you will get flooded someday and possibly grow extra limbs/eyes/growths.
ex ROF employee then

Port Glasgow is cheap n cheerful, does have good links to Glasgow and the scenery is lovely but does have a poet infestation so probably not here then.

I used to live in Renfrew and it was staunch. Now in Dunfermline and if anything it is even more staunch.

Stonehouse is a shitehole i'm afraid,drugs and crime problems for as long as I can remember and I'm told it's no better.Strathaven has the golf course and is nice but you need to drive everywhere,the transpost links are horrendous.

I think a shitehole is a tad harsh. Lived there all my life has some really nice areas, 20 mins from Glasgow by car. Doesn't have a lot of amenities though, go to Strathaven if you want a bit more and Larkhall if you want even more. The countryside around Stonehouse is lovely. Has an RSC again now too. To me the area around Stonehouse and Strathaven is perfect if you want the country life and still be really handy for Glasgow.

I'd jump on board the Troon suggestion, absolutely fantastic little town very close to my heart in a lot of ways. Nice and relaxed, plenty around you, easy to get to the games.

If it was me, I would be looking at Troon, Prestwick, Helensburgh, Largs. Somewhere on the coast and tim levels still under control.

Get Phil and Kirsty to do a programme on it. Knocking back somewhere cause it is Tim infested would make for good viewing

Best suggestion of the thread. I'd watch that for sure....

Interesting thread generally, having lived down south for many years it's good to get a perspective of where's good or not to live back home. I hope the OP gets what he's looking for.

Bishopton

New places being built there
It's loyal

Would have loved to return to my home village Bishopton, but market just now is very poor, and no chance will I buy a house and Dargavel, so I had to settle for Erskine, hoping mortage gets confirmed any day now.

I'm in a nice area of Cambuslang and desperate to move somewhere with better weather. If you are interested I could do you a deal below market value.

I'm surprised there's not been more posts putting you off.

Do you need a 250k house as a divorced man? Get yourself a decent flat and blow the rest of your budgets on cocaine, hookers and holidays.

:)

Moving from a place like Plymouth, hope you like the rain?
I was going to say something similar, my mate was based in Portsmouth for a while and said while both places didn't have great weather that's Portsmouth was a lot better.

I'm surprised there's not been more posts putting you off.

Do you need a 250k house as a divorced man? Get yourself a decent flat and blow the rest of your budgets on cocaine, hookers and holidays.

:)
Not normally my style but there is an awful lot to be said for this reply.

I was going to say something similar, my mate was based in Portsmouth for a while and said while both places didn't have great weather that's Portsmouth was a lot better.

I have been down working on the south coast quite a lot over the last couple of years and the climate is far superior to whats on offer on the west coast of Scotland, at times in June/July it was roasting.

I have been down working on the south coast quite a lot over the last couple of years and the climate is far superior to whats on offer on the west coast of Scotland, at times in June/July it was roasting.
Ye he said summer especially at times it felt like being on holiday.

Out of interest checked today's weather in Portsmouth compared to Glasgow. Portsmouth expected to be sunny spells and reach highs of 19 degrees compared to Glasgows 14 degrees and rain.

Back