Match Thread Motherwell v Rangers - 12:15 Sunday - Bt Sport

I would put Tav on a post at corners and free kicks as he cannot be trusted to man mark.Goldson had his worse game in a Rangers shirt.
I'd bin any thoughts of playing 3 at the back unless we sign another decent centre back.
A new cd making his debut at Porkheid ? Unlikely.

Don't really understand the substitutions
The Wallace sub was ludicrous
Especially bearing in mind Wallace is pretty poor defensively too. There was two players coming in unmarked at the back post, would be interesting to see who was marking the other one.

Away and dye yer hair instead Robinson ya weird lookin fanny !

We should have won the game ? Aye, really ? Away and ask yer squad why it needs the Rangers to get them to fight ya cvnt !!!

The guys an idiot. After the game last season where Cardoso got a broken nose he was trying to claim that it was Rangers that were the physical team. They were lucky to get the draw today and he should acknowledge it.

Inconsistent refereeing and 'honest mistakes' allowing players to foul 5, 6, 7 times before being booked.

The when they are booked, have another 5, 6, 7 fouls.

A yellow card is not a reset button, but it seems to be for Thompson.

Not blaming him for a poor second half, but just refereeing the game in a fair way helps ALL the players.

Ref wasn’t to blame for that today.

A defence from goalie to full backs and CHs panicking and just booting the ball away and playing deep caused that.
James Tavernier not being able to mark a man and his game crumbling apart when he has something that went wrong caused that.
Midfield and attack were not able to get the ball and keep it.
The squad is far too thin and needs more to cope with this schedule.
If someone told me we would have spent about 5 mill net at this time a few months back I would say we have no chance in hell of winning the league.

SG has done amazingly but today wasn’t clever.
A bit of arrogance in making too many changes and the defensive stability crumbled.

The Board better find the money to improve this squad as the quality in the middle and for the defence is far too thin.
1 or 2 injuries and we will struggle.

Our second half was poor, they looked totally gassed out there. At the same time many of the Motherwell counterattacks came because of giveaways on sloppy lazy passes, so we caused our own problems. But do Motherwell score that goal if the foul on Morelos is given 2 minutes into injury time? Morelos gets bowled over from behind and ref waves play on!! That would have killed the game right there. Infuriating loss of points in injury time again!!

When was the last time we got our noses in front and managed to see a game out and run down the clock? We defended too deep and invited them on to us. Barry Ferguson would take the ball into the corner and draw the foul, why can’t we learn to do this? 4 points lost on the last seconds of a match is unacceptable. I’m gutted!

If we're being honest, Morelos should've been given a foul when he was breaking away...if we get that, we count down the clock. Craig Thomson as usual gives us bugger all and they go up and score.

The usual Tav bashers are out in force tonight...yes he had a poor game, but he was no worse than Goldson and McGregor didn't cover himself in glory either.
Not a Tav basher mate. But he lost his man twice in the box and they scored. He needs to take the critisism. On the other side he created Laffertys 2nd with an exceptional ball in.
Thats football I guess

Tiredness played a factor. We didn't press because of it and allowed them more possession and more crosses into the box.

Very frustrating.

Lot of people losing their shit here.

Gerrard has been flawless so far and yes has made his first couple of mistakes today, but lets strip it back.

The first goal is an unfortunate error. Their second was a wonderful ball from a set piece that was hard to defend and was put away.

Gerrards mistakes were giving the hammer throwers too much respect in the second half, but we can't play well and through opponents every week. Motherwell went back to basics and bombarded us. We almost hung on but we didn't. Shit happens. We move on.

Yes it's a sore one but it's not the end of the world. On balance of play a draw was probably fair and if we had lost the equaliser in 70 minutes or we equalised to make it 3-3 we'd be seeing a different theme in here.

Gerrard is allowed to make mistakes, I'm sure he'll learn from them.

Let's continue to get behind him.

Fuckin hammer throwing thug bastards.
Correct. All facilitated by Thomson who let them get away with thuggery all day. In any other league in the world Motherwell would finish with 7 or 8 players every week. Yet in this country they are lauded. The refereeing in this country is beyond parody.

Its the first point Motherwell have picked up this season. It was a cert it would be against us, especially with Thomson in charge.
You're blaming Motherwell and Thompson for us dropping points ffs. We only have ourselves to blame,we were rotten in the second half,defending far to deep,Middleton playing in a defensive postion when he's a forward,didn't create nothing in the second half,substitution before a corner kick which they scored from when it should have been made at the throw in,failed to score the killer 4th goal to finish the game and constantly invited Motherwell to come at us because we were far to deep.

Middleton on for Morelos rather than Barasic,feed Middleton with his pace and keeps the ball in their half,Instead Middleton playing in a defensive role and hardly went up the pitch.

You just knew they were going to score given the amount of corners we were conceding,that 4th goal would have killed the game and we would have been away with the 3pts,Instead we done nothing and defended far to deep and constantly just hoofed the ball up the pitch to no one.

Reactions: VMS
They’re just saying Motherwell had 85% possession in that second half. 85% for a team of hammer throwers. That is terrible for Gerrard to allow that to happen. There were big issues that had to be addressed and they weren’t. If the scum get a result today, the pressure of coming away with points at the glitter dome is immense.

The tactics in the second half are inexcusable. Why sit so deep against pish like Motherwell; and why keep two strikers on if you're going to sit so deep?

One win from out first three league games is not good enough, regardless.

What that shows is we as a support are so desperate for a sign that we are back to the old Rangers.
They have seen the fight and many of us have over reacted.
Reality as you say we have won 1 game and drew 2. We will not challenge Celtic if we keep doing that.

This team had a lot of issues with confidence last season, when it got knocked we crumbled and certain players where guilty of this. I do not want to see this with this team also.

Finally the squad is still too weak.

Tav is poor without Candyman doing his defending. It happens every time. This mob have lost to Hamilton, Hibs and scored one against Livy. We were not big and physical enough enough to compete with these hammer throwers today. Worrying signs. These are the game we need to win to win this league. Reality check for us Bears.

They always raise their game against us and we should beat teams like that comfortably however just a few too many mistakes from a new manager and a new team today.

The question for me would be do we keep playing Tav at right back since he’s a massive liability. Probably better playing him further ahead on the right.

We can expect the same kinda lethargic fatigued performance next Sunday off the back of the Russian tie, its a bit concerning to say this but id take two nil nils in the next two.

For the life of me I just don’t know what that second half was all about, the only thing that mob had in their game was high balls into the box which we provided them with time after time.
Middleton should have been our out ball but I don’t think he touched it in an attacking sense all the time he was on. We seem happy to just lump the ball up the park, wee wake up call for the bubble inhabitants, we still have a long way to go before the title talk can be taken seriously.
Tavernier in a defensive sense again rank rotten.
Very naive to bring Wallace on at a corner kick.
Unfortunately that horrible mob deserved something from that game only because we never turned up in the second half.

Take tav off defensive duties at set pieces. Put him on edge of box. He’s guilty of getting done at set pieces over and over. He must have been coached about it but still happens. Love Tav but it’s his weak point and it’s costing us.

He’s wanted him in at the throw in missed his chance and should have got him to sit down instead he shoved him on and gives the defence a bit more confusion

Tav just doesn’t seem to be able to to things you’d ask a ten year old to do namely stay goalside at a corner. He’s marking a fucking heffer and let him go past him absolutely terrible
It makes you wonder if we analyse the game and the goals we concede. Oh look who wasn't marking their player again, and who is skinned every time a player runs at him, and who gets too casual. Reminds me of Whittaker just a lot better offensively. I was worried when he made him captain.

They’re just saying Motherwell had 85% possession in that second half. 85% for a team of hammer throwers. That is terrible for Gerrard to allow that to happen. There were big issues that had to be addressed and they weren’t. If the scum get a result today, the pressure of coming away with points at the glitter dome is immense.

It was 85% for the last 15 minutes but I take your point.

BTW for those blaming Tav for the final goal, why the hell isn't McGregor coming for that? It drops in the 6 yard box ffs.

Finger cannot be pointed at Thomson today.

He had a few dodgy decisions here and there but the costly one was when Morelos was blatantly fouled when he was breaking away. Thomson never gave it and a minute later they go up the park and score.

What's the substitution got to do withTavernier letting the guy in to score?

It's a disruption to the defensive set up. It's also a delay we did not need when the players are bouncing on their toes ready for the corner.

You don't make subs like that at a corner especially at that time in the game.

It was an error. We need to deal with the fact the manager made a mistake and he is not perfect.

Lot of people losing their shit here.

Gerrard has been flawless so far and yes has made his first couple of mistakes today, but lets strip it back.

The first goal is an unfortunate error. Their second was a wonderful ball from a set piece that was hard to defend and was put away.

Gerrards mistakes were giving the hammer throwers too much respect in the second half, but we can't play well and through opponents every week. Motherwell went back to basics and bombarded us. We almost hung on but we didn't. Shit happens. We move on.

Yes it's a sore one but it's not the end of the world. On balance of play a draw was probably fair and if we had lost the equaliser in 70 minutes or we equalised to make it 3-3 we'd be seeing a different theme in here.

Gerrard is allowed to make mistakes, I'm sure he'll learn from them.

Let's continue to get behind him.
Probably the most sensible post in the whole thread!

I would rather he made them now than next week.I can see what his thoughts behind the Middleton substitution were but the Wallace one was very naive

He didn’t take the right player off though. To take a tall defender off when the opposition were putting long balls into the box was very strange.

It was 85% for the last 15 minutes but I take your point.

BTW for those blaming Tav for the final goal, why the hell isn't McGregor coming for that? It drops in the 6 yard box ffs.

He had a few dodgy decisions here and there but the costly one was when Morelos was blatantly fouled when he was breaking away. Thomson never gave it and a minute later they go up the park and score.
Because it's Tav!
Some folk just have to have a whipping boy!

Ejaria was the only player that was getting the ball and holding onto it. Terrible decision taking him off.

Looking at the big picture, we did well getting a point out of that second half performance.

Once again like last season,failing to beat utter dross will come back to haunt us.Bringing on LW was a mistake and let Motherwell get their shit together for a few seconds.Defensively today we were abysmal.Gerrard needs to take the heat as the formation was all wrong.

They always raise their game against us and we should beat teams like that comfortably however just a few too many mistakes from a new manager and a new team today.

The question for me would be do we keep playing Tav at right back since he’s a massive liability. Probably better playing him further ahead on the right.
What about not playing him at all?

Put a comment up saying we can't single out players. I take it back. Tav for me has no place in that team. I have never seen some who is so quick attacking and so slow defending.yes his can cross but sure we have others that can do the same. Didn't like the back 3 idea didn't work for me

And the usual melts out in force.

We went behind twice and were unlucky to take all 3 points. We’re playing 2 games a week with some really difficult games so early in the season.

Perspective is needed. I’m happy with the progress so far. A couple of signings away from genuinely competing for the league.

The 3 problems today were, our captain cant defend and 2 wrong subs, motherwell all 2nd half kept playing down our right exploiting Tav, he should have put Candieas on for cover in front instead of Middleton, and the sub at corner was wrong time upset the marking of players should have waited till corner had been defended!

McGregor was going tonto at Morelos on the lead up to that corner because he never closed down the short throw at the far side near the half way line. And rightly so!!!! We were talking about 30seconds left
Pity be didn't shout for the all Inthe six yard box that led to the corner they scored from .no motherweMo players near the ball and a simple take for shagger but he just stood on his line.

Rather we had the wobble today then in the next two games.

If we do win the next two then today will be all but forgotten about.

Ref wasn’t to blame for that today.

A defence from goalie to full backs and CHs panicking and just booting the ball away and playing deep caused that.
James Tavernier not being able to mark a man and his game crumbling apart when he has something that went wrong caused that.
Midfield and attack were not able to get the ball and keep it.
The squad is far too thin and needs more to cope with this schedule.
If someone told me we would have spent about 5 mill net at this time a few months back I would say we have no chance in hell of winning the league.

SG has done amazingly but today wasn’t clever.
A bit of arrogance in making too many changes and the defensive stability crumbled.

The Board better find the money to improve this squad as the quality in the middle and for the defence is far too thin.
1 or 2 injuries and we will struggle.
The squad is thin, however, you cannot account for incompetent/biased referees. Motherwell should have had at least 4/5 yellow cards in the first half. That changes everything. Thompson is still a cheating Sellic c)nt.

Back