Borna Barisic

Said at the game today he seems to be playing well within himself. Same as Grezda did actually. Hope it’s just him getting his fitness up but he can do more for me.

Croatian International defence not echoed by our manager? Wtf does that even mean. Lost me again with the V12 stuff too, he has certainly been inconsistent but we as a team have been just that all season. I think he will come good, given a run in the team.

Making the point that SG has criticised him-he's quite clearly saying to make it to the very top-you need to push through the pain barrier and deliver on your ability. Using the defence he's a Croatian Internationalist is pointless-there's no way watching him today you would have thought he was absolute international or top level quality. The V12 bit is elsewhere in the thread-he's not imo up and down the wings the way you would want from a top top player when you consider what he was up against.

I like barasic I think once he gets used to the less technical Scottish game we will see the best of him.
He is not showing any where near the level He did against us.
He was getting forward more pace skill crosing superb.
Its like he is stuck I first gear with us

I would not be shocked if he dropped to the bench on Wednesday.

I'm also betting if he doesn't improve noticeably and we drop points in the tougher games-the view on him will change dramatically on him.

I like barasic I think once he gets used to the less technical Scottish game we will see the best of him.
He is not showing any where near the level He did against us.
He was getting forward more pace skill crosing superb.
Its like he is stuck I first gear with us

It is first gear of a V12 engine though......

He worries me.

He hid the entire game.

I think he's been knobbled. Seriously. Something is not right with him.

I defy anyone to argue against the fact he done absolutely fück all for us today.
He had a goal saving tackle and a superb cross for Defoe.....you've been a bit harsh but my view is he doesn't look anything special at the moment in overall terms.

I thought he had a steady game today, first season and he's learning to avoid the brick layers, next season we'll see a far better player.

Let's be honest on current form he's no better than Halliday-hit one cracking cross today and one decent one. Had one great tackle. Against St. Boo considering the hype on here about him we have to be disappointed.

Irrespective of where we stand our manager doesn't do mediocrity he will be in trouble shortly with him. Interesting to see if SG starts him against the Sheep.

Steady old son. Halliday is fine as backup but he doesn't have the same qualities as Borna, especially in the forward areas.

Making the point that SG has criticised him-he's quite clearly saying to make it to the very top-you need to push through the pain barrier and deliver on your ability. Using the defence he's a Croatian Internationalist is pointless-there's no way watching him today you would have thought he was absolute international or top level quality. The V12 bit is elsewhere in the thread-he's not imo up and down the wings the way you would want from a top top player when you consider what he was up against.

SG looking to get a reaction from him is fair enough, don't forget Barisic didn't have a pre season with us. The reference to being a Croatian International is valid as they are higher level players than 99% of spfl players we just need to develop him within the Scottish game

I was hoping this was someone bumping some crackpot post from a few months ago saying he'd never make it. To discover it's a new thread after we've skelpt St. Mirren at home 4-0 with him playing about as well as everyone else bar Kent is a strange turn. He has been plagued by injuries.

Look at his career, started at Osijek, got a big move, similar to what he is doing now, returned to Osijek, signed for us.

Borna, along with the rest of the back 4, strolled it today.

He was fine and there’s plenty more to come I think

Might come across as harsh as his career with us to date has been very stop/start due to injuries but he’s looking very average just now. For me he looks terrified of playing for us, takes the safe option every time.

Granted he overlapped a few times today and the formation in the first half probably limited him from getting up and down the wing as much and to be fair, he was available for a pass most of the game but I’d like to see a lot more from him.

The player we seen for Osijek isn’t the one we are getting.

Thank %^*& someone else sees it.

I think defensively he is all over the place, he’s what 6’1 or 6’2? Doesn’t win headers against wingers.
I’ll give him one thing, his crossing and set plays are very good.
The rest of his game, I’m unimpressed.

Can’t agree with this one bit. Thought he was comfortable. Every inch in control of his position and his attacking quality can only improve with games under his belt which, Flanagan will never get, and although Halliday is a great back up and I do love the guy, does not have a patch in him.

I thought he did ok today. Was never troubled defensivelyand linked up well with Kent at times. He needs a consistent run of games to get up to speed.

Gerrard always picks him when he's match fit unlike a few other players so he clearly rates him.

He wants more out of him which is exactly what I'd expect from a manager.

In years gone by he'd have got the time to adjust and get a run of games at full fitness but everything is over analysed these days, he looks the part to me.

Currently watching the game again and I've thought, after reading this thread, he's playing well. Stevie Smith has even just raved about his performance.

Thought he was good enough today, decent last man tackle in the first half, overhit a couple of crosses later on though.

Pretty much what I’d expect from him at this stage bearing in mind his stop/start appearances so far.

Ideal would be if he can build up the same kind of relationship with Kent on the left as Tav and Candeias have on the right.

Was a lot happier with his defending today and some of his balls were outstanding.

His tackle 1st half, last man, was outstanding and he read the game well.

I just can't see where the OP's coming from at all.
Ok he's been hampered this season due to injuries and has had a stop/start campaign so far but all I see is a quality International player with bags of ability.
I have really high hopes of him being a mainstay in our team for years to come.

Interesting to hear his post match interview- said himself he needs to improve his form.
I thought he was good in parts today linking with Kent especially second half and made one great challenge and a couple of good block to prevent crosses into our box but he can still give more going forward. His crossing is special and He has really good pace - he needs to be more confident and not turn back so often and his biggest weakness seems to be attacking the ball in the air.

You would expect a Croatian internationalist not to be as sloppy as he was today. He wasn't terrible but he's a lot more erratic than you would hope for.

Still the V12 engine stuff and Croatian international defence is not echoed by the manager who is clearly frustrated by him.
It's absolutely clear that, for whatever reason, you've made up your mind on him already.

I thought the change of formation helped him today and he came onto a game in the 2nd half. Some of his deliveries were terrific and he was sound defensively.

I think he did have a decent game , and maybe the op was a bit strong in saying he was terrified , but I believe there is a issue with confidence / bottle with him and Katic , They need to start imposing themselves and take responsibilty , from where I sit in the e/ e , worrell and mcrorie were constantly talking them through the game

Calm down for fucks sake.

All I’m saying is he’s yet to hit the heights that we feel he’s capable of.

I’ve no doubt he’ll get there, but he needs to do more for me.

He needs a good run of consistent games without injury, It's that simple. He's a class act and will be one of our first picks on the team sheet. Confidence is key, he's having to adapt to our League and most of all our style of football.

OP watching a different game to me. Barasic defended well when called upon and his deliveries were invariably dangerous. What else is he supposed to do?

No hat trick of overhead volleys today, it’s true

Free kick in the first half was a bit far out but I think a super confident Borna has a shot at goal rather than a cross. He's got the left foot for it. He's our best left back but is he good enough? Jury is still out for me. He's got class in my opinion but he's got to show it more.

Thats very harsh indeed. Some of his crossing was exceptional, and his first instinct was to go forward every time he got the ball, especially second half.

In addition to your comments re his crossing and forward movement, his defensive qualities were obvious today, some exceptional tackles, even moving over to RB position to make an exquisite, probably goal saving tackle when those who should have been defending on that side were AWOL !

He is just getting back from fairly serious injury and will get better and better, God knows just what some people are expecting !

Might come across as harsh as his career with us to date has been very stop/start due to injuries but he’s looking very average just now. For me he looks terrified of playing for us, takes the safe option every time.

Granted he overlapped a few times today and the formation in the first half probably limited him from getting up and down the wing as much and to be fair, he was available for a pass most of the game but I’d like to see a lot more from him.

The player we seen for Osijek isn’t the one we are getting.

He’s the softest Croatian I’ve ever seen, he needs to toughen up almost half committed in everything he does, he has a lot of potential though

In the big games, when the chips are down, and you're looking around to see who's up for it, who's going to war, then give me Halliday every day of the week that ends in a Y over Barisic.

Ability wise Halliday couldn't lace his boots, but at Rangers you need a bit more in your locker than ability - and I'm not sure Barisic has that.

Very harsh. Don't think he did that much wrong today - didn't have an outstanding game but it certainly wasn't bad. Had some good link-up with Kent. Had some very good crosses in the box and did some good defensive play and break-up play.

He's just getting back into the swing but he certainly wasn't bad and absolutely isn't someone to worry about.

Back