Borna Barisic

Plenty of Bears not impressed with BB. And hardly a contrarian when stated his first half cross was sensational.

You couldn't debate your way out of a paper bag.

Well firstly, I didn’t say anyone opened the thread and looked to disagree with the OP, I said they tend to look for the “general consensus”, so your failure to grasp English has let you down there.

Secondly, the general consensus is that he’s a good player with a lot more to offer. Of course that’s the consensus, that’s why you’ve been after him for ages. But I’m glad that you instantly picked up that you were one of the few I was referring to. What was it that ticked you off, the fact that you’re famous for it on here?

Debating with the resident pseudo-intellectual doesn’t take much, a debate with a genuine intellectual might though.

Free kick in the first half was a bit far out but I think a super confident Borna has a shot at goal rather than a cross. He's got the left foot for it. He's our best left back but is he good enough? Jury is still out for me. He's got class in my opinion but he's got to show it more.

o_O

It’s pretty ridiculous that if you have an opinion on a player and question his performance and hope to get more from him because you know he’s better, some people process that in their head as you thinking he’s shite and that you aren’t a fan of him.

Regardless of his performance today, he’s still not shown anything close to the kind of performance he put in against us in the two legs for Osijek. Maybe Motherwell away (3-3) and his first home league game as well when he had an assist for Goldson (can’t remember who it was against)

I’m sure it will come in time when he gets a run of games and he’ll become the player we all know he can be but he was nowhere as good as is being made out on here today from some.

I completely agree

He was down holding his hamstring against Petrocub in the round before us

He is electrifying at full pelt

But clearly theres an issue where he works himself to the point of collapse

Needs to adapt. Has started adapting. No doubt his confidence had a dent.

Harsh op. He's been fine, but he's definitely got more to give. Hopefully a settled run in the team injury free will get the confidence up. Fantastic cross on him, but does seem to play within himself a bit. Would like to see him driving at the opposition more. His crosses often come from really wide, I'd like to see him making that run between full back and centre half. McKay and Wallace were pretty effective at this in the championship season.

Empire slates Worrall a month or two before the Celtic game - plays the game of his life and is the hero for a few weeks.

Empire slates Barisic a month or two before the Celtic game - Barisic ends up playing out his skin and is the hero for several weeks.

Empire: chess, not chequers (or drafts if we're talking the Queens English)

You would expect a Croatian internationalist not to be as sloppy as he was today. He wasn't terrible but he's a lot more erratic than you would hope for.

Still the V12 engine stuff and Croatian international defence is not echoed by the manager who is clearly frustrated by him.

You have made a number of posts on this subject so can you say if you actually 'follow' the manager's comments or do you just post on the basis of your perhaps illconsidered thoughts ? Can you say what you base your observations on - is it a recent press conference or perhaps a personal message from SG - can you post that on here for the enlightenment of all FFrs.

Might come across as harsh as his career with us to date has been very stop/start due to injuries but he’s looking very average just now. For me he looks terrified of playing for us, takes the safe option every time.

Granted he overlapped a few times today and the formation in the first half probably limited him from getting up and down the wing as much and to be fair, he was available for a pass most of the game but I’d like to see a lot more from him.

The player we seen for Osijek isn’t the one we are getting.
Sorry mate disagree. He has been injured and for an admin to start a negative post like that is utter pish. IMHO.

In theory yes I wouldn't disagree but that's the point I'm making in terms of effectiveness BB is not delivering anything extra.
If the manager picks him on Wednesday he will need a lot more if he picks Halliday he knows he will get 100% of his ability. That's a dilemma for a manager when it's going to be a battle and a must win game.

I very much admire Andy Hallidays contribution to the team this season but - are you his dad or grandad ?

Well firstly, I didn’t say anyone opened the thread and looked to disagree with the OP, I said they tend to look for the “general consensus”, so your failure to grasp English has let you down there.

Secondly, the general consensus is that he’s a good player with a lot more to offer. Of course that’s the consensus, that’s why you’ve been after him for ages. But I’m glad that you instantly picked up that you were one of the few I was referring to. What was it that ticked you off, the fact that you’re famous for it on here?

Debating with the resident pseudo-intellectual doesn’t take much, a debate with a genuine intellectual might though.

Nothing ticks me off about your posts you are one of the biggest cranks on here.....I find your posts funny usually full of hypocrisy and usually trying to wind up people for having a different opinion and of course we could go over your absolute spite for some players we've had. The general consensus usually changes every five minutes-I've made that point and you were sharpening your pitchfork a few weeks back.

But as I said you should buy a mirror.

You have made a number of posts on this subject so can you say if you actually 'follow' the manager's comments or do you just post on the basis of your perhaps illconsidered thoughts ? Can you say what you base your observations on - is it a recent press conference or perhaps a personal message from SG - can you post that on here for the enlightenment of all FFrs.

It's well documented a few weeks back.......

Nothing ticks me off about your posts you are one of the biggest cranks on here.....I find your posts funny usually full of hypocrisy and usually trying to wind up people for having a different opinion and of course we could go over your absolute spite for some players we've had. The general consensus usually changes every five minutes-I've made that point and you were sharpening your pitchfork a few weeks back.

But as I said you should buy a mirror.

Have you EVER stopped to ask yourself why you're notorious for that type of pish on here?

I wouldn’t be telling anyone to buy a mirror if I had your staggering lack of self awareness pal.

He played a cracking cross in the first half from a difficult position.

I think he’s struggling a bit with the weight of expectation at Rangers but is a very talented player.

Have you EVER stopped to ask yourself why you're notorious for that type of pish on here?

I wouldn’t be telling anyone to buy a mirror if I had your staggering lack of self awareness pal.

Of course I'm aware of my so-called reputation. What are you backing-a mass of opinion that wants to build a Stevie G statue one month and consider sacking him the next? Oh wait I've seen you do that this season.(metaphorically speaking)

I'm self aware in that I don't always either get it right or my opinion isn't always popular but there have been very very few times when it has been totally unique.

I have never voiced an opinion that I didn't believe and that's all that matters-a mate's wife once met me outside Ibrox and asked me did I really believe all that stuff I was posting about Craig Whyte....such is life.

I get it wrong whether it's Green or something else but for being an odd ball in a forum where opinions are neatly folded away when they fail miserably or are changing on a daily basis I hardly lose any sleep...

Last edited:
It's well documented a few weeks back.......

Perhaps you are able to give us some more up to date info but we are talking about a Rangers player who has struggled with injury in the past but who has now begun to show what he is capable of. Can you please enlighten me of something more recent, than a few weeks back, which might dissuade me from my own opinion that, ongoing, he is an excellent acquisition for Rangers FC.
Given your 'documentation' do you think that Steven Gerrad should have actually started him today ?

You previously said

"You would expect a Croatian internationalist not to be as sloppy as he was today. He wasn't terrible but he's a lot more erratic than you would hope for.

Still the V12 engine stuff and Croatian international defence is not echoed by the manager who is clearly frustrated by him. "

When was this stated by Steven Gerrard - can you quote a press conference or other to help us less informed beings to understand your point of view !

Please let me know where and when this information became available mainstream ?

Perhaps you are able to give us some more up to date info but we are talking about a Rangers player who has struggled with injury in the past but who has now begun to show what he is capable of. Can you please enlighten me of something more recent, than a few weeks back, which might dissuade me from my own opinion that, ongoing, he is an excellent acquisition for Rangers FC.
Given your 'documentation' do you think that Steven Gerrad should have actually started him today ?

You previously said

"You would expect a Croatian internationalist not to be as sloppy as he was today. He wasn't terrible but he's a lot more erratic than you would hope for.

Still the V12 engine stuff and Croatian international defence is not echoed by the manager who is clearly frustrated by him. "

When was this stated by Steven Gerrard - can you quote a press conference or other to help us less informed beings to understand your point of view !

Please let me know where and when this information became available mainstream ?

SG had a dig at him in a press conference well documented on here.....maybe you missed it.

I thought he had a very good game, weird how folk see things differently. Second half especially, him and Kent linked up very well.

Must have done - can you advise the date of the PC ?

A couple of weeks ago....if you are interested in disproving it all you need to do is ask on here-I hardly made it up albeit there was a difference of opinion on what SG meant irc Grezda was involved as well around the same time.

SG bought these two guys as key components for his A team. Whether it's injuries, the step up or whatever they haven't adapted as well as we might have hoped-doesn't mean they can't but as I say in both cases SG has been quite vocal about his frustration.

Might come across as harsh as his career with us to date has been very stop/start due to injuries but he’s looking very average just now. For me he looks terrified of playing for us, takes the safe option every time.

Granted he overlapped a few times today and the formation in the first half probably limited him from getting up and down the wing as much and to be fair, he was available for a pass most of the game but I’d like to see a lot more from him.

His dead ball delivery is exceptional and I thought he did well given he’s been in the spotlight around his reaction in the Helsinki game. I don’t really agree with a single word you wrote :))

I thought he had a very good game, weird how folk see things differently. Second half especially, him and Kent linked up very well.

IMO he had a good game, but in a diamond surely both full backs sould be providing the width? He didn't in the first half except for one very good cross late on. He was better in the second half when Jack came on but wasn't direct enough for my liking, he should have been driving at their defence at times but chose to play it safe. Played within himself but still had a good game.

I'd very much like to see him be much more aggressive when running forward with the ball, driving on in possession and demanding the ball from teammates far more without the ball.

He looks in parts like he is playing within himself. In general today I thought he was decent though, more good than bad. Early doors.

I think he has allot of quality and attitude but needs confidence. I like him

I'd very much like to see him be much more aggressive when running forward with the ball, driving on in possession and demanding the ball from teammates far more without the ball.

He looks in parts like he is playing within himself. In general today I thought he was decent though, more good than bad. Early doors.

Can't really disagree with any of this. But he just lacks confidence. All of the things you ask for here come with confidence. I think he's quality and will show it eventually.

Of course I'm aware of my so-called reputation. What are you backing-a mass of opinion that wants to build a Stevie G statue one month and consider sacking him the next? Oh wait I've seen you do that this season.(metaphorically speaking)

I'm self aware in that I don't always either get it right or my opinion isn't always popular but there have been very very few times when it has been totally unique.

I have never voiced an opinion that I didn't believe and that's all that matters-a mate's wife once met me outside Ibrox and asked me did I really believe all that stuff I was posting about Craig Whyte....such is life.

I get it wrong whether it's Green or something else but for being an odd ball in a forum where opinions are neatly folded away when they fail miserably or are changing on a daily basis I hardly lose any sleep...

I’ve never once suggested that there should be consideration for sacking Gerrard, so if being a wee liar is what you’re resorting to, save your energy and your words.

Might be a confidence thing with the lad. He got himself into some great positions with the ball today but aso the op indicated, he took the easy option with his final ball.

He had a goal saving tackle and a superb cross for Defoe.....you've been a bit harsh but my view is he doesn't look anything special at the moment in overall terms.

I know DG. I shouted .... Tam Forsyth .... when he made that tackle. :)

Considering the wonderful romantic courtship we both had (the support and the player) and the promise of ecstacy that he appeared to make - he has failed in delivering his conjugal rights.

The last few games left me feeling extremely un-satiated.

His performances of late have been a bit of a turn-off however a lot of posters I consider 'good judges' have stated he had a good game and are impressed so far. That is a relief to me - because I was watching him intently for long spells, I genuinely thought he was hiding for most of the game. :(

Come on BB - give us what we crave most - 100% commitment and regain the thrusting endeavour that first turned us on.

Become a legend to hundreds of thousands of Bears all over the world. We truly do deserve it you know.

Last edited:
Haven’t read all the replies but I’m sure it’s been said he did fine but does look like he’s still not fully up to speed. One great tackle and one utterly sublime cross. Not a bad shift.

Who wants to crowdfund me for a Borna is Better With The Bandage banner?

I thought he had his best game yet. Did his defensive job better than we have seen so far and created opportunities going forwards.

If he keeps playing like that / improving, he’ll be an important player.

He had a good game yesterday, could and should have had an assist or two to his name with a couple of the balls he put in.

In theory yes I wouldn't disagree but that's the point I'm making in terms of effectiveness BB is not delivering anything extra.
If the manager picks him on Wednesday he will need a lot more if he picks Halliday he knows he will get 100% of his ability. That's a dilemma for a manager when it's going to be a battle and a must win game.

100% of halliday is still only about 50% of Barisic.

We have kept two clean sheets in a row and finally our defence looks solid. Barisic has been fine in the last two matches and will improve.

Not giving Halliday a peltering, however he is never a left back. He hinders us playing in that position. Grateful he’s been there to fill in a couple of times and had a couple of good games. However you just need to look at Kilmarnock, Cowdenbeath and many other games. When Halliday receives the ball at left back he never drives forward. He doesn’t have that in him. No overlaps and getting to the bus line to whip balls in. Barisic will give you that in abundance. A lot more natural playing down that side. Also the problem I’ve noticed with Halliday is, he’s better when written off and not given a chance. Sometimes he gets above his station. Starts pushing people out the way to take free kicks and getting caught out trying to be better than his ability allows him. He’s best when he keeps the game simple.

Back