League's done for the season. Time to regroup for Phase 2 of the Gerrard era

If he fails to win a trophy this season he should go?

Honest to god man. This fucking place after a poor result. Brain damage.
Sorry mate but it's about a whole series of shocking results. And many of the signings have been shocking. This is not knee jerk.

Enjoy the filth winning 10 in a row then.

What are you babbling about?

I’m not advocating getting rid of Gerrard - I was pointing out in response to your defence of criticism of him that he got us a run in Europe and 1 win over Celtic that while both those things are true we’ve also had a bang average season otherwise.

This has not really been a surprise-elements of today have been debated all season. It's hard to criticise a support that craves success but the real problem is the spikes of success have led to an overoptimistic opinion of where we are.

We brought in a manger who was clearly going to have to learn quickly-I said it last week I don't think the whole scouting/footballing strategy looks joined up- Barisic, Grezda, local guys to the short term bring in experience of Davis and Defoe. it's a patchwork quilt and of course the manager takes his share of the blame. Davis and Defoe were clearly big gambles that looked largely short term-you got murdered on here for suggesting even a whiff of that.

I've stated it long and weary and been saying it for months-I repeated it last night whilst out drinking with my best mate who is a Thistle fan-SG will very probably be gone early into next season unless he really brings in players to take us up another level during the summer. That's always hard and will very probably financed by the loss of two of our best players.

We are now reliant on them exiting the cup unexpectedly whilst we negotiate two hard cup ties..if we don't do that SG is on borrowed time. I don't believe that to be fair but it will be how the majority of fans will view it.

You can ask why. The reason is they are on course for another clean sweep and another chance to regroup themselves in the summer. The pain of that comes at a cost of us having the determination to stick to a plan. And I am far from convinced we have that much of a football strategy other than trying to catch them as quickly as possible-Defoe and Davis showed us that but it also showed us the dangers of not thinking longer term or indeed looking at what gaps were in the team.

What are you babbling about?

I’m not advocating getting rid of Gerrard - I was pointing out in response to your defence of criticism of him that he got us a run in Europe and 1 win over Celtic that while both those things are true we’ve also had a bang average season otherwise.

I was defending him from the criticism that his "ability for this stage of his career is poor". His career is 7 months old. He's delivered things - tangible things - that our last 2 managers who had much more experience than him, were unable to.

Of course he's open to criticism, but as usual with our support some if it is ott and just ridiculous in response to a result.

Agree with the OP however it’s never been any different for me . I told everyone we were not winning the league this season and was told I’m “ negative “ amongst other nonsense .

There is no title race and never has been . We cannot win the league and today finally puts it to bed in the minds of even the most fairytale fantasist fan.

Let’s win the Scottish cup finish second and regroup for a proper challenge next year .

I agree !

I never ever thought that we could win the title this season, for me it was always about regrouping for next season and that is still my view. From the starting point, SG could never reasonably have been expected to turn that around ! Nonetheless I still believe he will do it for us but not just yet !

For starters Morelos is far superior to the player he was last season. You honestly think that’s debatable!?

This is just rubbish, Morelos was just as good last season as this season, the difference?

1. he's been a bit more consistent.
2. he's being noticed.

Last season, you lot completely ignored what he did outside the box. Remember, he played for a Rangers side that wasn't as strong as the current side and did most of the work, but was wrongly being slated. Perhaps he's a bit fitter and is improving, but to make it out as if it's some huge difference, only serves to prove folk had it in for him last season.

Let’s hope we don’t but I think most people would realistically expect it to be sold when a decent offer comes in.

I doubt it mate, but if that is the case, it would have to be a substantial offer and you would expect in the summer anyway for Gerrard to address the attacking side of our game anyway with more quality, so if Morelos did go, you would expect him to bring in various options of goal scorers.

Something we seem to lack are players who can confidently shoot from outside the box, we need someone like that.

Say what you like but the Orcs have two of the most dynamic midfielders in our league in Rogic and McGregor.

They are not world beaters but are light years ahead of anything we have in that dept.
I disagree. They are both just average players over hyped by the press and media. Average.
Too many people jumping to conclusions today when it is still early days. Today's disappointing result, and it was disappointing, must be seen in the context of how the bheasts do tomorrow, because if they drop points as well then it is not so disappointing at all then. We have two more games with them, both are potential six pointers, so long way to go yet. Let's put the fake tears away for a bit.

This is just rubbish, Morelos was just as good last season as this season, the difference?

1. he's been a bit more consistent.
2. he's being noticed.

Last season, you lot completely ignored what he did outside the box. Remember, he played for a Rangers side that wasn't as strong as the current side and did most of the work, but was wrongly being slated. Perhaps he's a bit fitter and is improving, but to make it out as if it's some huge difference, only serves to prove folk had it in for him last season.

He scored 18 all season last year. He only scored twice in the final three months of last season. Anyone who doesn't think he chucked it last year after the Chinese bid was rejected needs their head examined.

He's got 23 goals by February this season. His performances haven't dropped either.

He's a far better player this season than last.

I disagree. They are both just average players over hyped by the press and media. Average.
Too many people jumping to conclusions today when it is still early days. Today's disappointing result, and it was disappointing, must be seen in the context of how the bheasts do tomorrow, because if they drop points as well then it is not so disappointing at all then. We have two more games with them, both are potential six pointers, so long way to go yet. Let's put the fake tears away for a bit.
Discussing the game is hardly fake tears FFS .

You can also disagree if you like it's your prerogative .

Two things that were required in the summer:

1) Quality over quantity. We need a marquee signing every summer rather than 4 or 5 average joe's.

2) An attacking midfielder who would get us 10+ goals and give our midfield another dimension.

We have failed on both counts and the fact we never addressed point 2 in the last window is going to cost us badly for this season.

If you take Morelos and Kent out of that team (both of which are likely in the summer) then we have a squad that looks so poor you just wouldn't know where to start.

He scored 18 all season last year. He only scored twice in the final three months of last season. Anyone who doesn't think he chucked it last year after the Chinese bid was rejected needs their head examined.

He's got 23 goals by February this season. His performances haven't dropped either.

He's a far better player this season than last.

Okay, fair enough, but he dropped in form last season towards the 2nd half of the season, but he wasn't as bad as some make out, he was tremendous last season. People making it out as if there was some sort of massive improvement, I don't think there was. Yes, he's improved, especially fitness, but was never as bad as some make out to be last season.

Pish, you don’t know what might happen tomorrow,a wee Killie win and we are a point nearer the beasts, the surrender monkies in our support are terrible, still plenty too play for!!!!

A wee killie win tomorrow puts them closer to us than we are to Celtic.

Okay, fair enough, but he dropped in form last season towards the 2nd half of the season, but he wasn't as bad as some make out, he was tremendous last season. People making it out as if there was some sort of massive improvement, I don't think there was. Yes, he's improved, especially fitness, but was never as bad as some make out to be last season.

It's not a dig at Morelos from last season. It's a huge credit to him that he's improved this much this season. His attitude is better, his workrate is better and his finishing is better.

It's not that he was 'bad' last season but he's been phenomenal this season.

Two things that were required in the summer:

1) Quality over quantity. We need a marquee signing every summer rather than 4 or 5 average joe's.

2) An attacking midfielder who would get us 10+ goals and give our midfield another dimension.

We have failed on both counts and the fact we never addressed point 2 in the last window is going to cost us badly for this season.

There is no "marquee signing" coming to Scottish football. If there was, it would take a significant amount of money - are you wanting us to invest the majority of our transfer budget in one player?

Thankfully we haven't used the budget in the way FF wanted otherwise we'd have been stuck with Goss and Coulibaly.

If you're looking for "marquee signings" then you're going to be disappointed. We're in a market where it's hit-or-miss with little guarantee of success.

What's next season's excuses when the same results, performances, weaknesses and issues arise?

Gerrard probably won't have Morelos to pull him out the shitter.

His managerial attributes are poor and that doesn't change over night.

It might be an idea to consider changing your avatar before you start ranting.

Sorry, his ability at what stage of his career? 7 fucking MONTHS into it?!

During which he's had us competing in Europe til the final group game when most of us expected Round 2 of the qualifiers; and comprehensively beat the mentally challengeds for the first time in about 15 games? We're currently 5 points off them.

Think about what you're saying ffs man.
What i am saying with that comment is that he may get better, he may end up being a world beater but at this early stsge he is tactically naive imo.
The good points you stated are great and i have enjoyed them and thank him for that but it does not take away from the fact we cant beat the mediocre teams in the league. Ultimately that is what he will be judged on not a win against the mentally challengeds every now and again

It’s done when it’s done so let’s just wait and see. I read on here in 2005 it was done when they were 5 up with 4 to play and again after we lost to Dundee U in 2011. People always confuse the day’s frustrations with the bigger picture.

The Manager has been very good in general but I knew when I saw the front three today we would struggle. Defoe can’t hold it up and Candieas is horrible v a deep block. The former was evident v Killie and the latter has been evident all season. He compounded the problems of the initial selection by playing Davis too high.

If we don’t continue to get cheated by refs and the CO ( no laughing at the back) and the manager finds a better balance up top we can still do it. It would be galling if we just hand it to this mob.

It's not done til 6pm tomorrow.

I know everyone wants to be first into the crywank, but the filth need to go to a place they haven't won since Clarke was manager there.

If they lose it's 5 points. If they draw it's the same gap. If they win we're cooked and you can post all the crywanking stuff you like. And I'll be in the Lounge talking about music or shaving your scrotum.

Clutching at straws is all very well but I think that the final straw may very well have floated off down the river today. I was never ever in the camp that SG, and though I am 100% behind him, would deliver 55 this season which for me was always going to be pie in the sky - Next season perhaps !

It is more about Rangers finding a solution to the eternal problem of unpicking packed defences and that is about recruiting players who can undo those defences. Many have posted on FF on just this subject and recognised that we haven't addressed this issue. Of course it is a finance issue.

However, as long as I can remember 1960s onwards, we have on accasion signed players who were doing well at other clubs and sometimes without reference to whether or not they would fit in, there was a suggestion even that, 'sign him' he is the holy grail, and therefore he wouldn't be able to perform against us. I don't and never subscribed to that particular policy and that, I believe, is what we need to be avoiding in the future if we are to progress.
I fully understand the financial constraints in terms of recruiting the 'best' but, as stated, the club needs to have a long hard look at who may or may well not deliver !

Last edited:
What's next season's excuses when the same results, performances, weaknesses and issues arise?

Gerrard probably won't have Morelos to pull him out the shitter.

His managerial attributes are poor and that doesn't change over night.

It’s his first season in management and he’s only had two windows to build a side with.

We’ve seen progress - it’s ridiculous not to acknowledge that. The way the doom merchants dismiss our European run is ludicrous - Warburton or Pedro are never doing that in a month of Sundays.

Additionally we beat the Beggars in a league game for the first time in six years. It was an absolute prerequisite for me in terms of benchmarks - he needed to show he had it in him to put a side on the park that could do that and he did.

But we’re clearly still a work in progress and it simply wasn’t realistic to expect a genuine title challenge down to the wire in his very first season.

I do accept though that next season there’ll be a much tougher crowd to please.
This year he’s done enough to give himself another shot in general good faith, but if he doesn’t hit the ground running, if we’re still making the same mistakes, still displaying the same lack of urgency and consistency every third or fourth game, then the knives will be out for him.

There’s nothing surer.

I totally agree. I believe we have 2 good CHs but SG refuses to play 1 of them. Tav, Candieas and others like Jack are either too inconsistent or don’t offer enough.
Not one of our midfield is good enough. McCrorie and Kamara are good squad players, but we have no guile , skill, creativity or ability to playmake.

Our strikers apart from Morelos can’t play in this dreadful 433 and not one of our wide players scores enough like Celtic main 3 wide players do.
McCrorie isn’t meant to be creative or skilful.
Kamara has played one game but, you write him off.
However, I think I read your posts a lot more frequently when there’s something negative in the air so I’m not surprised.

All managers make mistakes in the transfer market.
Even SAF!
Most posters get it wrong as well when the tell us player x is a superstar and player y is a dud.
Sometimes after one game and then say nothing when their infallibility is proven wrong some time later.
If he fails to win a trophy this season he should go?

Honest to god man. This fucking place after a poor result. Brain damage.

Agree - Can someone tell me where the unlike button is on a thread ?

"I agree he gets extra leeway because of who he is"

Sorry but that is ridiculous. If it looks like he is not the right person he goes.
His signings and tactics are increasingly looking like he is not the right person.

We are too big a club to keep someone in a job solely because of who they are.

He fails to win a trophy he should go.
And you’re telling somebody what they’ve posted is ridiculous?
Then post this?
Feck me.

Challenge ended at Killie and our season could be well and truly over on Wednesday if we can’t buck up our ideas.

Last edited:
McCrorie isn’t meant to be creative or skilful.
Kamara has played one game but, you write him off.
However, I think I read your posts a lot more frequently when there’s something negative in the air so I’m not surprised.

I don’t write off anyone, check match thread I said Kamara would be MOM (should have been as the rest were dreadful). I am all for his signing and wanted him in the team. However he is a young player just signed and the manager will see him as a squad player just now.
He is however not a creative player who gets a lot of assists or goals.
McCrorie isn’t either, neither is Jack, neither is Davis now, neither is Coulibaly get the picture.

Some posters react to the performances on the park, while some are negative all the time and some like to polish turds after every rank rotten performance and you are one of the latter.

During which he's had us competing in Europe til the final group game when most of us expected Round 2 of the qualifiers; and comprehensively beat the mentally challengeds for the first time in about 15 games? We're currently 5 points off them.

But reality kicks in next season, season 2 must be 2 cups or the league, season 3 must be the league and anything else is a bonus.
I think thats realistic.

But reality kicks in next season, season 2 must be 2 cups or the league, season 3 must be the league and anything else is a bonus.
I think thats realistic.
Let’s not forget that Gerrard inherited a rump of players that were obviously not up to the job but whom he’s had to rely on. Case in point Daniel Candeis. He HAD to score that chance in the second half. Forget everything else, this is what wins these games - a calm, clinical finish under pressure. For all his laudable effort DC consistently fails in these situations.
Candeis has not been producing the goods for quite a while now.

Some of this I agree with but it's another half an essay fishing for likes which you and one or two others deliver almost daily and in your case, contribute very little to anyone else's threads

I don’t write off anyone, check match thread I said Kamara would be MOM (should have been as the rest were dreadful). I am all for his signing and wanted him in the team. However he is a young player just signed and the manager will see him as a squad player just now.
He is however not a creative player who gets a lot of assists or goals.
McCrorie isn’t either, neither is Jack, neither is Davis now, neither is Coulibaly get the picture.

Some posters react to the performances on the park, while some are negative all the time and some like to polish turds after every rank rotten performance and you are one of the latter.
You’ll probably find that I’ve posted very little about today’s performance that could be interpreted as positive .
Unless defending a player is what you’re referring to.

Gerrad has made mistakes which was always going to be the case but he also got us into the Europa which none of us thought would be possible.

He also got a team fired up to finally beat Celtic and stop the maulings of last season.

We have been in every single game we have played this season, we have never been 2 goals behind in any game, we dont concede goals like we used to either so we are much more robust.

The negatives are we are not creating the way we did last season, we dont have the goals of Windass and Murphy to an extent and we rely heavily on Morelos.

I am also concerned at how often Gerrad has called out an unacceptable performance and asked for a reaction next game.

Why are the players not treating every game like its an old firm ? easier said than done but we are laboured and look like the gas tank is almost empty.

All managers make mistakes in the transfer market.
Even SAF!
Most posters get it wrong as well when the tell us player x is a superstar and player y is a dud.
Sometimes after one game and then say nothing when their infallibility is proven wrong some time later.
As for Grezda and Barisic, could we wait a wee bit longer before writing them off?
It would appear, well there is evidence, that these two are quality players.

I’m not writing them off, but I can’t deny I’ve been disappointed, and I am concerned not just by those two players to be fair.

Mark Allen for me needs to be scrutinised more too. He has had a lot of praise for not a lot thus far in my view. We raved about his moves last January such as Cummings, well that window didn’t pan out too well.

Come the summer we did the same, again looking at it right now it’s looking ropey again.

Then the January window there, on limited evidence granted, it’s looking poor so far.

My issue with Mark Allen is for a guy we were told was so well connected his signings seem to be obvious names that most of could have picked out, such as Lafferty, Davis, Defoe etc. The others were players the manager knew from Liverpool. Rightly or wrongly I expected his contacts to dig up a gem or two.

As for the manager results will dictate his future ultimately. The hysteria is going to be ramped up the next year or two with them going for 9 or 10 in a row. No matter what you or I think of the job to date, if the majority don’t see him stopping it he will be gone.

Without serious investment there isn't Phase 2. Just a lot more Phase 1.
There's no basis for this opinion.

We've stayed in the mix until today with a pretty average side, there's an argument that this is only because the bheggars have been below par all season - bullshit. They are what they are, still the best in Scotland but a distinctly average team.

All the forecasts that it would take tens of millions to close 'the gap' have proven to be rubbish, it's taken about £6-8 million and a few loans and the team that's been assembled for that isn't even that impressive.

Our biggest issue is that apart from Morelos, no one looks like scoring. Even last year we had Windass who pitched in with 15+ goals.

Celtic currently have Edouard, Sinclair, Forrest and Rogic (when fit) scores a decent amount as well. Not only that but Burke, Weah and Griffiths (if he returns) can all score.

It annoys when people are constantly talking about what ifs and dropping silly points. Every single team in the SPL has dropped silly points this season not just us

On Defoe - unlike someone like Grezda who is a relative unkown, most of us have watched this guys career and never have you seen him play as a lone striker, fronting up 30 yards from goal.

You need to feed him the ball in the box. We don't look to have attempted to adapt our game at all for him coming into the team.

We need to stop bringing back former players and living on the good old days and thinking that they know what’s needed to play for Rangers when quite clearly they are finished.

Our biggest issue is that apart from Morelos, no one looks like scoring. Even last year we had Windass who pitched in with 15+ goals.

Celtic currently have Edouard, Sinclair, Forrest and Rogic (when fit) scores a decent amount as well. Not only that but Burke, Weah and Griffiths (if he returns) can all score.

That wee cnut Mcgregor has a knack of scoring important goals as well. He's probably their best plauer

Tbf, to Gerrard, he'll never have witnessed in his entire football career the endless negative nonsense that surrounds our club. The mhedia demanding his players banned every other week for something. Even Defoe must be wondering what he's got himself into when he's barely here for a week and they're wanting him cited to the Compliance Officer for diving. Its utter lunacy. Gerrard just can't be allowed just to get on with his job.

There is no "marquee signing" coming to Scottish football. If there was, it would take a significant amount of money - are you wanting us to invest the majority of our transfer budget in one player?

Thankfully we haven't used the budget in the way FF wanted otherwise we'd have been stuck with Goss and Coulibaly.

If you're looking for "marquee signings" then you're going to be disappointed. We're in a market where it's hit-or-miss with little guarantee of success.

I am not talking Messi or Ronaldo, all things are relative. However we spent decent money in the summer and look to yet again have secured mostly dung on long contracts.

"I agree he gets extra leeway because of who he is"

Sorry but that is ridiculous. If it looks like he is not the right person he goes.
His signings and tactics are increasingly looking like he is not the right person.

We are too big a club to keep someone in a job solely because of who they are.

He fails to win a trophy he should go.
So if we don’t win a trophy this year you’d get rid? Well I hate to point this out but it’s highly unlikely we’re winning a trophy this year

There is no point of getting rid of manager after manger

It's not a dig at Morelos from last season. It's a huge credit to him that he's improved this much this season. His attitude is better, his workrate is better and his finishing is better.

It's not that he was 'bad' last season but he's been phenomenal this season.

This is spot on-he's improved massively.

Back