Erik Ten Hag

My point is not that McInnes is a managerial genius, it's that that claiming not going for this guy is a "calamitous failing" is a hysterical comment to make. It's not like Jose Mourhinio was in the Sunday Mail this morning pleading with Dave King to bring him to Ibrox, ignoring that in my book would be a "calamitous failing." Ten Hag looks decent (no more) on paper, but if we're operating a CV exercise and you believe what is in the media he isn't even the top candidate on that metric, the Belgian is.

I don't believe anything in the media, thank you.

Whether he is a candidate with the media, who cares what they say just now, or a name with the bookies matters not a jot.

He is there and wants a big club as his baby so to speak.

We are that club, now more than ever I feel.

This guy can and has delivered and for us to not even consider a manager of such standing, yep, a monumental failure I would say.

Let's think small time then and safe and aim for second with McInnes if that's the extent of our ambition or lack of.

Very interesting article. What he has achieved in his career so far is impressive. He clearly likes a challenge and has proven he knows how to rebuild a club and its playing staff.

I would like to think that Allen will have prepared a shortlist and guys like this and Preud'homme should definitely be interviewed about the job.

This is too important a decision for us to rush into. It would be a mistake to just jump at Derek McInnes without considering all of our options.

The Dutch players certainly seem to settle well into Scottish Football and we would get more for our money shopping in the European market. But it's also important to have the best young players in Scotland playing for us as well. It's about getting the balance correct.

Ten Hag is younger than Preud'homme and could be a better bet in the long term, I'm not sure.

It's exciting and I just hope that we make the right decision this time, regardless of whether we end up with a Scottish, Dutch or Belgian coach.

Advocaat done fantastic for two seasons, but he had a massive budget and we had half the Dutch national team plus the likes of Alberta, Amo, Porrini, Reyna and Tugay.

PLG came with a massive reputation and messed up, and Pedro we all know about.

The mhanks got lucky with Jansen, but Venglos was a disaster for them and Deila ended up sacked in a one team league.

So to date nearly all foreign managers in Glasgow have been unmitigated disasters. I really don’t see the rush to invite another - especially given recent experiences.

I'd like to think that Mark Allen will have knowledge of coaches/managers who are building positive reputations. At the very least I'd expect our DoF to have trusted contacts to help him ascertain the suitability of interested and/or available applicants.
I'm not buying into it has to be a Brit nonsense, if Ten Hag, Preud'Homme or anyone else ticks the boxes then we should appoint the best candidate. How many of the top six in England have British managers?

There is a big difference though between the best manager out there and the manager who’ll do best for Rangers.

Given Ten Hags previous achievements and current one with Utrecht, he with MPH are the 2 best out there (that we can defo get) with my belief that Ten Hag is the man for us, short, medium and long term.

We have to get this appointment right and both the above tick the boxes we need ticked.

Advocaat done fantastic for two seasons, but he had a massive budget and we had half the Dutch national team plus the likes of Alberta, Amo, Porrini, Reyna and Tugay.

PLG came with a massive reputation and messed up, and Pedro we all know about.

The mhanks got lucky with Jansen, but Venglos was a disaster for them and Deila ended up sacked in a one team league.

So to date nearly all foreign managers in Glasgow have been unmitigated disasters. I really don’t see the rush to invite another - especially given recent experiences.

So were Brady and Barnes for them, so don't have to be foreign to be a dud...

I wonder what FF would've been like in April 1991?

I doubt Walter Smith would've been a FF favourite.
Yes FF would have went into full meltdown :D

I recall being really disappointed when Walter Smith got the job.Names such as Terry Venables were supposedly in the running.

How wrong was i?

And yet there was two goal match winner Kenny Miller given a rousing reception as he left the field yesterday.

The support only care about winning football matches, but the board need to seriously consider the future strategy of the club and whether foreign managers are compatible with a myopic football culture in Scotland.
That indeed is the conundrum the board face.

Ten Hag is better equipped and more knowledgeable than McInnes will ever be.

Bayern Munich and Ajax don't come calling if you're a mug mate.

Who of renown would want McInnes?
From what iv'e read about Ten Hag makes me wonder if he could become Ten Inarow , seem to have plenty going for him but what would he cost ?

From what iv'e read about Ten Hag makes me wonder if he could become Ten Inarow , seem to have plenty going for him but what would he cost ?

He signed a new contract in January till 2020. So he wouldn’t be buttons however he would be less than the £1.5m being quoted for Mcinnes. In terms of salary I am unsure but the average in the Eredivisie is just shy of £5k pw so I would be hopefull we could propose an inciting package. Especially when you recall what McCoist was on.

Last edited:

What will it cost us not to sign him alex?

We could both afford and get him if we wanted him.

Show some baws Rangers and go for him, at least ask him.

TBH the likelihood of appointing another coach that no cnt has heard of is close to zero.

Irrespective of ability.

Because not everyone knows of a manager, we won't appoint him if he's the best man for the job?

If that's in any way our thinking at board level, we can all chuck it and give sellik everything, now.

I hope the board are at least aware of this guy, whether we end up with him or not I think this is someone who will go on to big things.

I don't believe anything in the media, thank you.

Whether he is a candidate with the media, who cares what they say just now, or a name with the bookies matters not a jot.

He is there and wants a big club as his baby so to speak.

We are that club, now more than ever I feel.

This guy can and has delivered and for us to not even consider a manager of such standing, yep, a monumental failure I would say.

Let's think small time then and safe and aim for second with McInnes if that's the extent of our ambition or lack of.

The feeling i get with McInnes is that he can only take us a further step forward to second, we need more than that. We must give every option full consideration, if we are to mount a serious challenge against the filth.

The feeling i get with McInnes is that he can only take us a further step forward to second, we need more than that. We must give every option full consideration, if we are to mount a serious challenge against the filth.

We need much more than 2nd, why pay over a million for no guarantee with McInnes when there is all round superior pedigree available for less money?

When the fu(k was 2nd ever acceptable to Rangers?

Have to question the mentality of those wanting McInnes, mentalists.

Guy is a runner up at best.

I really think the club will go for a UK manager this time in an effort to steady the ship. Based on PC's tenure, are the players ready for anyone who wants to change things to match european views on the game?

Ibrox noise - pffffftttt......waste of time reading that sh1t.

However, a new name has appeared in the list, one likely to be unfamiliar to the majority of Rangers fans, and the odds for said manager have gone into ‘solid’ range with some outlets offering as low as 25/1.

Erik ten Hag is the latest name to simmer around Rangers’ search for a new boss, with the 47-year old Utrecht manager surfacing to add to the list.

The Dutchman has only been in the senior management game for a couple of years, not unlike Rangers’ second most recent boss, with ten Hag getting the gig in Holland merely two years ago.

His statistics for a fairly solid if unfancied Dutch outfit are bang on 50% win rate, but in a league which has PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord and the currently high-flying Zwole in the mix, that is not bad.

He did do even better at Bayern Munchen, but that was for their ‘II’ side – aka their reserves.

He is a defender by trade, having spent his entire career in the Netherlands with various Eredivisie sides, although he never got any senior caps for his country.

However, a new name has appeared in the list, one likely to be unfamiliar to the majority of Rangers fans, and the odds for said manager have gone into ‘solid’ range with some outlets offering as low as 25/1.

Erik ten Hag is the latest name to simmer around Rangers’ search for a new boss, with the 47-year old Utrecht manager surfacing to add to the list.

The Dutchman has only been in the senior management game for a couple of years, not unlike Rangers’ second most recent boss, with ten Hag getting the gig in Holland merely two years ago.

His statistics for a fairly solid if unfancied Dutch outfit are bang on 50% win rate, but in a league which has PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord and the currently high-flying Zwole in the mix, that is not bad.

He did do even better at Bayern Munchen, but that was for their ‘II’ side – aka their reserves.

He is a defender by trade, having spent his entire career in the Netherlands with various Eredivisie sides, although he never got any senior caps for his country.

If Ibrox Noise is reporting it, I'm off to put the monthly mortgage on it happening o_O

Who said he was getting the job?

Who you offering up as an alternative?

It was tongue in cheek @NorseGod based on the drivel they punt out normally.

Don't have any alternatives but think, based on where we are at the moment, he is too much of a risk. Similar to MW's story, relatively unexperienced in management. Got a team playing together - similar to MW and his over achievement at Brentford with his players - but just don't think we should opt for another experiment. In my mind we need stability and experience.

It was tongue in cheek @NorseGod based on the drivel they punt out normally.

Don't have any alternatives but think, based on where we are at the moment, he is too much of a risk. Similar to MW's story, relatively unexperienced in management. Got a team playing together - similar to MW and his over achievement at Brentford with his players - but just don't think we should opt for another experiment. In my mind we need stability and experience.

The risk is letting some other club get him first I think mate.

Time in Holland then at Bayern aligned with fine Euro results see him as a prime target, surely?

He absolutely offers stability, why would he ever leave us if we give him favourable conditions?

He wants a club to call/make his own and do so in europe.

For me, that's us, all day long, every day.

Yet to see a better option that's viable to us.

I understand the experience argument, as I have said it’s all about opinions. I get reasoned points such as experience and for some people this is part of their personal criteria for the next manager, that’s justifiable.

In my opinion it’s always about the best candidate who can develop the team, club and make us title challengers as soon as possible, looking at all the realistic options I believe that to be ETH. I also appreciate how people interprete information differently, after all football is often a subjective game.

The strictly ‘no foreigner’ argument however makes no sense to me.

Also the point mentioned by the Doctor about the first ten games is redundant. See Conte and Chelsea last season. His team have started very poorly by his own high standards, however it must be kept in mind the players he has lost, he has to rebuild each season due to the Eredivisie being a feeder league and he is still gelling this years team.

Last edited:
The risk is letting some other club get him first I think mate.

Time in Holland then at Bayern aligned with fine Euro results see him as a prime target, surely?

He absolutely offers stability, why would he ever leave us if we give him favourable conditions?

He wants a club to call/make his own and do so in europe.

For me, that's us, all day long, every day.

Yet to see a better option that's viable to us.

Not disagreeing with your logic at all. My worry is that if he doesn't deliver from the off, both the fans and the media will get restless......we all know how that normally ends up

I think the Michel Preud'homme link is a notable one. He has pedigree but reportedly being over looked. Just think the Board will be extra cautious on this one.

But then again we never saw PC coming so who know where we could end up.

Not disagreeing with your logic at all. My worry is that if he doesn't deliver from the off, both the fans and the media will get restless......we all know how that normally ends up

I think the Michel Preud'homme link is a notable one. He has pedigree but reportedly being over looked. Just think the Board will be extra cautious on this one.

But then again we never saw PC coming so who know where we could end up.

Does any Bear really care what the media say in relation to this though?

Think not.

Any new manager will be judged next season, however Ten Hag has previous for success with teams instantaneously so no panic with him coming in this season and not getting it right.

The board have to be bold and fearless, not cautious.

The Rangers managers job is too prestigious to mess with, Ten Hag is ready and ready now.

So are we for him.

Not just for now but for our long term also.

No more 'building bricks' or 'stepping stones' with managers, all in with him and for years.

Proper stability, the way it was and should be.

Does any Bear really care what the media say in relation to this though?

Think not.

Any new manager will be judged next season, however Ten Hag has previous for success with teams instantaneously so no panic with him coming in this season and not getting it right.

The board have to be bold and fearless, not cautious.

The Rangers managers job is too prestigious to mess with, Ten Hag is ready and ready now.

So are we for him.

Not just for now but for our long term also.

No more 'building bricks' or 'stepping stones' with managers, all in with him and for years.

Proper stability, the way it was and should be.

I admire your bravado and based on what I have read about him, would have no concerns. But he needs to hit the ground running or could set the media frenzy upsetting the already paranoid rangers fans.

Let see but certainly would have no qualms about bringing somebody in to make the club his and be here for many successful years to come.

In my opinion it’s always about the best candidate who can develop the team, club and make us title challengers as soon as possible, looking at all the realistic options I believe that to be ETH. I also appreciate how people interprete information differently, after all football is often a subjective game.

Couldn't agree more

Back