Borna Barisic blasts Rangers exit talk as he reveals 'the truth' on relationship with Steven Gerrard

BlueMeanie

Croatian's future was reportedly in doubt after Gerrard hit out at fringe players after a recent friendly with Liverpool.

Mark Walker
  • 14:17, 7 MAY 2019

Rangers defender Borna Barisic has insisted Steven Gerrard hasn't told him he's for sale and stressed he sees his future at Ibrox.
The Croatian international's future was reportedly in doubt after Ibrox boss Gerrard was far from impressed at the performances of Barisic, Eros Grezda and Kyle Lafferty in a recent friendly against Liverpool.
Gerrard warned: "If there are players I don’t need, it’s easy to address that. I’ll show the players an honesty and respect. If there’s someone who I don’t feel I can give happiness to, in terms of game time, then I’ll tell him. Then the decision’s out of my hands."

And Barisic also failed to impress the Rangers boss when he returned injured from a Euro 2020 qualifier for Croatia in March.
However, the former Osijek player insists Gerrard hasn't read the riot act to him and he still believes he will be a key part of his squad.
Barisic said: "This has been taken out of context. The only truth here is that I have been injured and I have found it hard to get into the team that is in great shape.

"We've won five in a row and conceded just one goal, so of course it's not easy to get back into the team.
"Rangers are a big club with great players and it's not easy to get back into the side.
"As far as my relationship with the coach, it's all great with me.
"I had two weeks out because of my injury with the national team. I got back training and played in a friendly match.
"I admit it took me a while to restore my physical condition and that's very important in the Scottish League.
"Now everything is ok and I feel great. I was on the bench in the last game and we have the derby with Celtic coming up this week."

And Barisic tried to clarify what happened when he returned injured from international duty in a match against Hungary.
He explained: "Yes, Rangers were angry, but there was a misunderstanding.
"Everything was eventually sorted and now there's no problem in that regard.
"We play Wales soon and that is a very hard game for us."
Barisic is friendly with Celtic rivals Filip Benkovic and Jozo Simunovic.
But, in an interview in Croatian publication Sportske Jutarnj, he admitted the friendship does have its limits.
He said: "No, I did not congratulate them on being champions.
"I didn't even congratulate Jozo Simunovic on his goal against Aberdeen."

BORNA BARIŠIĆ Croatian Rangers Rangers from Glasgow deny some articles about his status

The Scottish Daily Record brought doubt to coach Steven Gerrard 's belief in Croatian national team player Born Barišić , left-wing firefighter Vatreni,who arrived in Rangers from Osijek in August 2018 with a 2.5m-euro compensation.

The last match for Rangers played on March 16 against Kilmarnock . Then he played and scored a debut goal for Vatreni against Azerbaijan , then injured himself against the Hungarians and missed the derby against Celtic .

Yesterday we talked to the Croatian representative and asked what was going on?

"Would a journalist tell me where my coach, Steven Gerrard, said he did not want me to sell me? Journalists have taken that thing out of context and the only truth is that I've returned after injury to a team that is in great shape. We've put four wins in a row with one shot and of course it's not easy to get back to the team right away. Rangers is a big club with great players and it is not always easy to get back to the team. That's why I played last leg on the bench, but as far as my relationship with a coach is concerned, Barišić told us.
https://twitter.com/Fussboll_

Either sometimes the media can spit out a story that does not exist at all. When someone creates conclusions after some statements, there is a misunderstanding, this time it happened when it comes to a Croatian representative.
- It's all great with me. I did not really do much, just two weeks because of the injury of the last game when I played for the national team. I started training right away, we played a friendly match in the meantime, that's what I did. It took me a while to restore adequate physical preparation. This is a very important issue in the Scottish league. Now I'm great and everything is OK. I was at the bench in the last game and there is no problem. On Sunday we have a derby with Celtic, we will have another friendly match, so we have a last round, so we have three more games to finish.
The scouts have also written that they were very angry at Rangers after Borna was injured in qualifying match with the Hungarians.
- Yeah, they were angry, but there was a misunderstanding, but everything was scratched on that subject. Everything's fine, there's no problem here.
So we resolved this story by the Scottish media. As you can see, the mountains were shaking, and it was born - nothing. We switched, of course, to the next gathering of our national team before the collision with Wales in European qualifications.

- We are aware of what we are in. After Hungary, we realized some things. I'm not saying we have to be serious, but we have to change the mentality. Wales is a tough rival, in an unlucky term. But how unfortunate for us is so for them. The leagues end two or three weeks before. We have to get good, win, win all three points.
Barišić is certainly looking forward to seeing the match with Wales playing in his Osijek.
- Of course, that delights me. It is my honor and privilege to be in the national team, and it is still playing in Osijek, which in turn means personal satisfaction. Of course it is not questionable whether we should get Wales, but we should also have Hungarians, so we did not. I know this is a phrase, but today it is not easy to beat anyone. We have seen this in hundreds of examples in European and world football. If we are real, and this time I do not doubt it, I mean mental stability, I think there should be no problem. We are a better representation.
No thanks to Celtic
We asked Born to end with his colleagues Filip Benković and Jozi Simunovic congratulated Celtic's champion title?
- No, I did not congratulate them on the title of the Champions! I did not even congratulate Jozy Simunovic on the scoring he had against Aberdeen.
Perhaps these last sentences of Borne Barišić sound strange, unusual. However, if you do not already know, the rivalry of two Glasgow clubs is enormous, it is hard to describe. No Rangers players congratulate Celtic players, nor Celtic players congratulate Rangers players. It just does not work, fans of one and the other club such a greeting would not be well received.

Is it not possible just to think loads of things about a player?

He has shown sign he has something, but on the whole he has been a bit pish, does look soft at times durings games and has been injured too often - he might be better next year.

The fact he was in the squad at the weekend is a positive sign. Maybe hes been working hard in training? Could have had Wallace, Coulibaly, Grezda, Middleton or Lafferty in

Maybe an old firm derby is exactly what he needs to break him out of his shell. :)

No doubt he has ability but i personally think he could give so much more on the pitch.

Some games he looks like he is drunk and others he has been pretty decent but all in all it hasn't been good enough, hopefully a full pre season and once he settles more we will see the best of him next season.

Surely a player in there somewhere with Borna.

I'm yet to be convinced, but can't help being excited if he is really wanting to knuckle down and fight for his Rangers career. A 2nd chance could be the making of him; if he get's it, he's a lucky guy. Few get that opportunity.

We as supporters don’t have the first clue what’s really going on behind closed doors, we can only critique on what we’ve seen of him. There’s been some good and some bad but there is a player there I suppose it’s down to him on how he applies himself in training and how he’s mentally coping with the expectations of being at Rangers

He has much to prove however if he can get 100% fit and to the standard we saw against us he will be an asset and should be kept

But if he is made of glass or has an attitude issue (does he)? then punt.

Hopefully turns out a top player for us but not yet convinced.

I fear Barasic doesn't have the mentallty to hack it a big club, hopefully just a coincidence that he's went down with a muscle injury right before the last 2 OF games.
He's a quality player thats not yet adapted to the physicality of Scottish fitba.
Hopefully he gets a chance after a good or season.

Yes he has had a disappointing first season with us but I feel he could still become an important player for us, if his heart wants it. Get him in the gym over pre-season and give him a second season to prove he wants to be with us.

Having said that if Gerrard has already decided he doesn’t want him to be part of the journey, it would be understandable.

I really hope he can do us a turn next season. I think he deserves another season because of all his injuries. If he can just learn to deal with the physical aspect of scottish football i think he will do ok. Theres a player in there, hopefully this season will have opened his eyes to the scottish game and he will be in better shape to deal with it all next season. Fingers crossed o_O

I've been disappointed with Barisic so far, he looked a player when playing against us but has failed to live up to those performances. I get the feeling he will be gone in the summer

That Interview will easily fool the gullible in our support and especially on here who will have him as the next Maldini and worth £40 million before the thread is finished. If Gerrard keeps him then I’m fine with that, if not then I’m fine with that also.

I agree that he will be gone in the summer.

I was surprised that he made the bench on Sunday but maybe that was a bit of management by the club. If he looks like he is still in the first team picture then we can maybe get a better fee for him compared to us making it blindingly obvious that he’s not wanted here.

Interesting comments from Borna, i wonder if Gerrard would agree with him. He hasn't been seen much lately which does lead to speculation, especially after the very public slating of players following the Liverpool match. In fairness Flanagan hasn't done much wrong to lose the jersey so that might be the reason plain and simple.

We've seen in glimpses what he's capable of but the mentality has been long suspect. Can he show he has the character for it?, well he seems to think so which is good to hear, the big question is does Gerrard?.

Reading rumours on twitter that he chapped the gaffer's door to apologise for his display against Liverpool.

This.

It doesn’t make a single bit of difference what this interview says .

He’s a goner . Mark this post those who think otherwise .

Sadly I think the same, I really wanted Borna to be the player he was before we signed him.

Still want him to be here and prove his true potential maybe a run of games to boost the confidence but genuinely don't see that happening now with two games left. I also think his heart isn't in it and if that's the case he will be gone.

It’s incredibly frustrating because he has the ability but I can’t seen him just suddenly starting to get stuck in and right in about it

Technically a very good player but needs to knuckle down a bit more to fit into the rough and tumble of the Scottish game. Hopefully we will wait to see what a good pre-season can do for him.

Still think he won’t be here for the start of next season along with Grezda Lafferty and Morelos

He needs to get a one all over again.

Looked like a hard bastard at the start of the season, then as the hair gradually grew back he turned into a shitebag.

Back