Daily Record: Celtic FC cleared Boys' Club bosses over 'scurrilous' abuse claims in 1986

Well I think we can safely assume it went all the way to the top at Celtic Park ie directors.
Outside of that, I'd be shocked if there isn't a connection to the Catholic Church somewhere in the whole disgusting affair. After all, they have plenty previous.
Absolutely! And if ever ONE picture was worth a thousand words.
jimmy-saville-housekeeper-catriona-canavan-with-fr-oconnel-rev-mclachlan-and-kevin-kelly-celtic-chairman1.jpg

I would bet my mortgage on Kevin Kelly being a main player in the 'Celtic paedophile ring'. His granddaughter I believe has a 'top job' at BBC (Scotland)

There is so much evidence to the contrary, I am astonished that they are trying to maintain the fiction of a separate entity and equally astonished that so many in the mhedia and politics are letting them get away with it.

Is this the first piece of hard evidence? I haven’t seen anything like that before actually linking them officially I’m quite taken aback by how deep this does go with that development.

What the difference between a celtics boys club and an official celtics boys club?

Internet history here

https://web.archive.org/web/20030212230217/http://thecelticboysclub.co.uk/

Just trying to work out what official means!
:rolleyes:
https://web.archive.org/web/20091102072226/http://www.thecelticboysclub.co.uk/aware.htm
In August 1997, Celtic Football Club produced a document entitled "Aware and Confident" setting out their "Code of Practice and Vetting Procedures for Staff and Volunteers working with Children and Young People under 18 years of age".​

Included in that document is the following statement:

"Celtic Boys Club is an independent organisation with its own constitution, officers and rules. The Boys Club has a long and proud association with Celtic Football Club which has proved of mutual benefit over many years.

Celtic Boys Club has agreed to implement this code of practice. This means that staff and volunteers working with the Boys Club will be subject to the same code of ethics, vetting procedures, good practice and procedural requirements as applies to staff and volunteers of Celtic Football Club. Boys Club personnel will also undertake the same training as applies to Celtic Football Club.

Taken together, these measures are aimed to eradicate the risk of abuse to children and young people participating in football with clubs which are legitimately using the name Celtic".

The Executive of The Celtic Boys Club fully endorses the principles and values contained in this document and promises to take all necessary actions to ensure they are upheld. The safety of our young players is of paramount importance to everyone connected with the Club.

Is it a criminal offence to not report known sexual predators in a Scottish PLC ?
What I cannot understand is regardless of their duty to report it to the police, the fact that it was printed in the Celtic View means it was common knowledge and Strathclyde police should have been investigating anyway. Or maybe they did which raises another set of questions.

In compiling this section on the history of The Celtic Boys Club to date, the author has researched various publications and newspapers. We would like to acknowledge their contribution and thank them for it. We apologise in advance for any errors or omissions. We will continually update the history as appropriate. Permission to use photographs has been requested where appropriate and the author was able to do so.

In November 1990, ‘Scottish Football Today’ published an article on The Celtic Boys Club some of which we have reproduced here. The article was written at a time when the New Firm were considered the dominant force in Scottish football when it came to producing home grown talent for the senior game. The author, Charles Stewart, put forward an alternative view. We have added the photographs.

New Firm clubs, Aberdeen and Dundee United are the names first to the lips of anyone discussing the development of young talent in the Scottish game; but the suggestion they leave the rest trailing can reasonably be challenged by Celtic.

The Club from the East End of Glasgow can justifiably claim to have produced as many quality players – and by far the outstanding talents – of the past couple of decades.

The Celtic side which thoroughly demolished Dundee United in the Skol Cup semi-final, -even discounting John Collins and Joe Miller, who were Celtic Boys Club players but only found ‘Paradise’ after big money moves – contained no fewer than FIVE players who joined the Club direct from the Boys’ Club. They were Scottish Internationalists Paul McStay, Peter Grant & Derek Whyte; U21 star Steve Fulton and Gerry Creaney.

The critics point to the fact that such exhilarating talents as Miller and Collins were somehow missed by the Celtic scouting system, as the biggest crime of all. The two can be joined on the ‘slipped the net’ list by such as Alan Brazil ( Ipswich Town ), Pat Nevin ( Chelsea ) and, current Motherwell captain, Tom Boyd.

The criticism cannot be avoided; what it cannot be, however, is a criticism of The Celtic Boys Club. It will be all the better if the lesson has been learned and such talent is never again allowed to slip the net.​

The Celtic Boys Club was founded in 1966 with permission from the late Sir Robert Kelly and Jock Stein. Mr Stein, then Manager of Celtic FC, took an increasing interest in the newly-formed Club and it was decided that the Boys Club should be given full facilities at Barrowfield. It was the Club’s Chief Scout, John Higgins, who suggested that the link should be strengthened. He wanted the Boys Club to operate an under-16 side in which boys signed by Celtic could be introduced to "the Celtic way" and filter through the system. The future success of the Boys Club was probably secured when Frank Cairney was appointed General Manager in 1970. Cairney was about to be appointed Assistant Manager at Hamilton when Higgins suggested to Stein that he be given charge of the Boys Club under-16 side. Cairney’s brief was to develop and recruit players for Celtic FC. Higgins, a member of the Celtic double-winning side captained by Jock Stein in the early 1950’s, had been brought to Celtic Park by Sir Robert Kelly and appointed Chief Scout by Stein. He was responsible for signing most of the " Quality Street Kids" like Dalglish, McGrain, Hay, Macari and Connelly.​

Charlie Nicholas and Paul McStay are arguably the most gifted players to arrive on the Scottish scene in the past decade and the Celtic Boys Club was also responsible for such magnificent talents as Tommy Burns, George McCluskey, Roy Aitken and Jim McInally as well.​

The Celtic Boys Club role of honour is as long as it is impressive in terms of the quality of player produced. The first Celtic team player to come through the ranks was Andy Ritchie, later to become Scottish Footballer of the Year. Next on the scene was Tommy Burns from a side which also contained Jim Casey and Jim Murphy.​

The following year saw the arrival of George McCluskey and Peter Mackie before the side which boasted Roy Aitken and John McCluskey, the immensely talented younger brother of George, whose career was sadly ended by serious injury.

Charlie Nicholas eventually exploded on the scene from the following year’s side which also included Mark Reid, Danny Crainie and Willie McStay. Peter Shields, who joined Hearts, and Forfar’s Ray Lorimer came through a year later and 1978/79’s team included Pat Nevin and Jim McInally.

David Moyes and David Kenny were next followed by Paul McStay’s 1980/81 team. McStay and teammates Paul Nicholas and Ronnie Coyle all played for Scotland ’s schoolboys in the famous 5-4 win at Wembley while another team member was Tosh McKinlay.

The following year’s team, captained by Peter Grant, included Owen Archdeacon and Tommy Boyd, Dougie Mills (Queen of the South) and Raymond Deans (Chelsea). Indeed, all 13 members of that side got their chance to make the grade in senior football.

1982/83 saw a Celtic BC side containing Tony Shepherd, Chris McCart, John Traynor, Dougie McGuire and Jimmy Boyle …
then came the team that included Joe Miller, Stevie Kean and Derek Mills.​

Derek Whyte, Tommy McEntaggart, Alex Mathie and Peter Feeney joined Celtic from the 1984/85 team as did Raymond McStay and Gerry Creaney a year later.​

Steve Fulton, Gerry Britton and Mark McNally came from the 1986/87 side and Sean McBride from the team of 1987/88.​

Brian O’Neil, Mark Donaghy, Peter Cheney , Billy Dolan, Jim Beattie and Kenny Campbell stepped up in 1989.

With thanks to ‘Scottish Football Today’ and Charles Stewart. (November 1990)​

https://web.archive.org/web/20071220212856/http://www.thecelticboysclub.co.uk/aware.htm

Code Of Practice

In August 1997, Celtic Football Club produced a document entitled "Aware and Confident" setting out their "Code of Practice and Vetting Procedures for Staff and Volunteers working with Children and Young People under 18 years of age".

"Celtic Boys Club is an independent organisation with its own constitution, officers and rules. The Boys Club has a long and proud association with Celtic Football Club which has proved of mutual benefit over many years.

Celtic Boys Club has agreed to implement this code of practice. This means that staff and volunteers working with the Boys Club will be subject to the same code of ethics, vetting procedures, good practice and procedural requirements as applies to staff and volunteers of Celtic Football Club. Boys Club personnel will also undertake the same training as applies to Celtic Football Club.

Taken together, these measures are aimed to eradicate the risk of abuse to children and young people participating in football with clubs which are legitimately using the name Celtic".

The Executive of The Celtic Boys Club fully endorses the principles and values contained in this document and promises to take all necessary actions to ensure they are upheld. The safety of our young players is of paramount importance to everyone connected with the Club.

There really ought to be a public enquiry into these appalling crimes

The football authorities silence on this is damning

What issue in sport is more important than safeguarding of children?

https://web.archive.org/web/20071220212856/http://www.thecelticboysclub.co.uk/aware.htm

Code Of Practice

In August 1997, Celtic Football Club produced a document entitled "Aware and Confident" setting out their "Code of Practice and Vetting Procedures for Staff and Volunteers working with Children and Young People under 18 years of age".

but why would Celtic make a code of conduct for a seperate entity?

would be like us making up a code of conduct for the New York Rangers, Texas Rangers and Cove Rangers

This situation gets murkier and much worse by the day

More revelations. More links to other paedos. More info CFC covered up abuse with an “investigation “ of their own

The links on the web relating to CBC and the history being deleted is very sinister and troubling.

People defo trying to cover their tracks and make it harder to find info and facts relating to CBC

Another thing that the mhedia have conveniently stopped discussing is that CBC has changed their name to St Patrick’s Sporting Academy in August 2018

A whole new rebrand, new club logo, website, etc from the original CBC that Torbett set up in 1966

That must have cost a right few quid. Wonder where the funds came from ?

The Helene Gray stuff is shocking too

Stewart Regan as we all know was Lieswells puppet.

A proper mhedia would interview Helene Gray and publish the truth that Regan made false promises to the Gray family and helped Shame FC by not asking for a proper independent investigation into CBC and CFC

That Martyn Henry guy is worth watching too

jimmy-saville-housekeeper-catriona-canavan-with-fr-oconnel-rev-mclachlan-and-kevin-kelly-celtic-chairman1.jpg

I would bet my mortgage on Kevin Kelly being a main player in the 'Celtic paedophile ring'. His granddaughter I believe has a 'top job' at BBC (Scotland)

A cross examination of his tenure and Trophy Centre involvement would be interesting.

I appreciate that this is a spiders web of connections but my concern is that it is so big that it takes many more years ever to get justice for the victims.

As well as trying to expose the remaining perpetrators of these heinous crimes, I hope that the lawyers are focussing in on the failure of Celtics duty of care in respect of the boys under their charge.

Clearly, as the 1986 article shows the club were fully aware of the allegations but the club failed to act. Celtic FAILED these boys, they by their neglect fostered a culture of abuse, created and operated a system based not on merit but on in many cases whether the boys were compliant. This sickening abuse of power is at the root of the issue and Celtic should be prosecuted for their part in this evil.

I am sure the legal teams know what they are up to but equally i just hope that they focus in on that which can be proved at this time, so many cases seem to fail when they try to cast their net so wide as to throw doubt on the verifiable facts.

Go get them! Out of court settlements should NOT do, this lot need shamed and the victims properly apologised to in public for ruination of many a life.

What I cannot understand is regardless of their duty to report it to the police, the fact that it was printed in the Celtic View means it was common knowledge and Strathclyde police should have been investigating anyway. Or maybe they did which raises another set of questions.

If you know of such a crime and do not report it, you become "An accessory to the fact" for not reporting it.

Been on Twitter this morning and the Tim's are on whataboutery at Rangers and victims getting told to go to the liquidators for compensation
Now this is news to me can anyone fill me in on as I haven't a clue about this?

Ye they tried to cover the arses after the allegations. They came out with the separate entity with the release of the "Aware & Confident " notice. They knew back in 1997 what had been happening.

The time scale simplified.

- Pre Fergus McCann - (1994) - Sweep Sweep Sweep
- Fergus McCANN era - McCann release the first notice of seperate entity, Contacts the police and release the "Aware and Confident" press release.

So today Lawyers are asking or are interested in the time before Fergus McCann. The sweep sweep era. Even if the Celtic Football Club TODAY are defiant the Fergus McCann principles were in place before he arrived.

Been on Twitter this morning and the Tim's are on whataboutery at Rangers and victims getting told to go to the liquidators for compensation
Now this is news to me can anyone fill me in on as I haven't a clue about this?

A guy that said he was abused whilst at Rangers contacted the club, he was offered counselling but said he wanted compensation so the lawyers, rather crassly in my opinion, told him to contact the old co administrators.

The difference here is that the person he was accusing was dead and there was zero evidence of him raising it at the time.

No company, be it Rangers or the Samaritans will voluntarily pay money out when there is no conviction, no previous indication it happened and the accused is dead.

Their highlighting of this is a desperate attempt to claim parity, just tell them its not about these people getting into organisations, it’s how it’s dealt with if the issue is raised, and as we can see Celtic either brushed it under the carpet, or ‘investigated’ and cleared themselves!

They are relentless in the cover up
It’s in their DNA
They have the political, judiciary and media sides all sewn up
This is why we are at the stage we are just now
They have no appetite for this to go any further
Don’t say anything and it will all go away
This is the reason if we ever get an inquiry into this then it cannot be held in Scotland
The victims will be let down badly by people who have already shown they are more worried about reputations than justice
An independent inquiry held outside this country by fair minded people with no agenda other than justice
Surely this what any fair minded decent human being would want ....

A guy that said he was abused whilst at Rangers contacted the club, he was offered counselling but said he wanted compensation so the lawyers, rather crassly in my opinion, told him to contact the old co administrators.

The difference here is that the person he was accusing was dead and there was zero evidence of him raising it at the time.

No company, be it Rangers or the Samaritans will voluntarily pay money out when there is no conviction, no previous indication it happened and the accused is dead.

Their highlighting of this is a desperate attempt to claim parity, just tell them its not about these people getting into organisations, it’s how it’s dealt with if the issue is raised, and as we can see Celtic either brushed it under the carpet, or ‘investigated’ and cleared themselves!
Thanks for clearing that up for me

I wonder who has this photograph hanging up in their hallway or in their photograph album? :rolleyes:

That is vile. Perv raped baby boys. Sick sick %^*&.
This Strachan bastard needs to be dismembered and that vile excuse for a football club should be shut down or better still burned down so that the victims can walk past whatever they build on that piece of land without having to be tortured mentally with bad memories whenever they pass the site of where the club of shame stood .

There is so much evidence to the contrary, I am astonished that they are trying to maintain the fiction of a separate entity and equally astonished that so many in the mhedia and politics are letting them get away with it.

Me too mate.....at best it’s apathy at worst it’s participation in covering it up! Either way it’s mind boggling.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...news/celtic-fc-cleared-boys-club-16158020.amp
Celtic FC investigated and cleared Celtic Boys’ Club “leaders” of wrongdoing after complaints in the 80s, the Record can reveal.The club’s probe described abuse claims as “scurrilous” and said those “placed under a cloud” would go to court if necessary to make sure the stories “are buried once and for all”.Concerns were voiced in the 80s about boys being taken out socially when no matches were scheduled, arriving home late, and being taken away to tournaments that did not exist. But the club’s probe described abuse claims as “scurrilous” and said that those who had been “placed under a cloud” would go to court if necessary to make sure the stories “are buried once and for all”.
The Record can reveal Celtic FC were aware of claims surrounding the boys’ club as far back as 1986.
Who in the club put their name to the report?
How were the allegations investigated ?
What records Written or otherwise were taken.
Who in the club described the claims as scurrilous.
Name the people involved.

The Celtic View article confirms that the Celtic FC board thoroughly investigated claims of inappropriate behaviour at the Celtic Boys' Club

:rolleyes: Hmmm their board investigated a completely separate entity.
Clearly ‘thoroughly’ means a different thing to Celtc as it does to me.

Back