Borna Barasic

Which is why, with a bit more patience, he might just come good.

I am certainly not yet ready to join the hysterical lynch mob who seem desperate to chase him.
I am with you.
This player has had a stop and start season and not really delivered.
But the ability is there.
I think he is a coach's problem.

Wilkinson at Leeds had a guy called Cantona which he couldn't quite get to fit into his team the way he wanted to and just gave up on the player selling him to Ferguson for a million quid. (How I wish it had been us that bought him!)
Ferguson fitted the lad into his plans with some aplomb.
Anyone on here remember how that worked out?

I would have delivered Mark Hateley to the airport myself in the early days, and the same with McCoist in his early period in a Rangers shirt.
Now I am older and hopefully, know better.

Stevie the Ger will know what kind of player he has, he will know the man inside the shirt and perhaps this will either sink or swim the lad in his Ibrox career.
I hope he learns to swim.

He doesn’t have the mentality to be a Rangers player it’s as simple as that

I think he is a far better player than he gets credit for and I'll go as far as to say he is too good for Scottish football, he's a footballer player that is not suited to our shitty league.

I hope he stays and as we get better he will also get better.

Too good for Scottish Football. Behave.

He’s going the other way though. It’s supposed to get better but he looks like he’s shrinking more and more as time goes on.

First game in how long?

A good pre-season and let’s see how thing look in August while there is still time to move him on and recruit a replacement,

First game in how long?

A good pre-season and let’s see how thing look in August while there is still time to move him on and recruit a replacement,

Yeah but being rusty on the ball after a while out is fine. Hiding and looking petrified is not, at any point, acceptable.

I defended the guy quite ferociously for a while but there’s also been a lot of talk about him not exactly bursting a gut in training too. All in all it doesn’t look very promising to me. Would love it to work out for him but it just seems unlikely at this point in time.

I think those looking to see what he's like next season will be dissapointed.

The polar opposite of what Gerrard has said will be needed going forward, in terms of application and mentality.

He will be gone.

With his dreadful showing today I would speculate his is for the off close season if the club can get somebody to take him without too much of a loss to us. This goes for his pal Grezda as well.

The wand he had for a left peg has changed into a wooden post. I don't think he has settled in Scotland and it's obvious the other Rangers players have not warmed to him either. Punt soonest and take Grezda with you.

He's such a frustrating player. Clearly has the technical ability on the ball but he lacks any sort of athleticism, is poor defensively and just seems to lack fight. You can adjust to the last one and improve on the 2nd but it doesn't seem like it will happen. Attackers get inside him and leave him in the dust far too many times.

There’s a few folk still saying things like ‘Give him a pre season and we’ll have a player’. Based on what? He’s been here a full season and I can’t remember one game where he’s came even close to the hype around him.

Sell him ASAP so that we have time to find a suitable replacement. The guy will never make it at Rangers.

Just looks an absolute Jessie.
Would maybe be ok in a more technical league, but doesn’t have the guts to play for us.

Yeah but being rusty on the ball after a while out is fine. Hiding and looking petrified is not, at any point, acceptable.

I defended the guy quite ferociously for a while but there’s also been a lot of talk about him not exactly bursting a gut in training too. All in all it doesn’t look very promising to me. Would love it to work out for him but it just seems unlikely at this point in time.

I'll be honest here and say I dont think he was hiding. He looked to be in good positions on quite a few occasions, and I've said this in other games where he was the whipping boy. The more I have thought on it tonight (I posted earlier, not quite in defence of him but not in the scapegoat camp) I actually wonder if his teammates trust him. He took a decent corner and then Kent took everyone after that which seemed weird at the time. Maybe as much an issue off the park as there is on it, not integrating with the team? I hope he comes good, but if he leaves I wont shed tears.

The gaffer must see something in him. He is still in the squad while the likes of Coulibally, Lafferty and Grezda are nowhere to be seen. I dislike the rush to write of players so quickly. He’s been hugely disappointing but we need to give him a pre season. If he’s still as bad in August punt him before the window closes. But I’m sick of accepting huge losses on players when there is still some obvious potential there.

Think his time is up , Hope i'm wrong ,but don't think he has the heart or the desire to be a Rangers player , He looks totally disinterested when he gets the chance to play , Always seems to be caught out of position , miles off the pace & chasing shadows .
He looks nothing like the player that played against us that prompted us to buy him in the first place . Hes been major disappointment in what we initially thought we had a truly international class attacking left sided full back

It’s not my imagination.

He’s developed a Kris Boyd arse this season (not that I’m fixated on our player’s arses :D)

Apart from everything else, the “whips in a fabulous wand of a left foot crosses” were not in evidence again today.

How do we know it was based on a game at Ibrox? Did Croatia bring him into the squad because of that game too?

Mark Allen said he was already known about.
Sometimes happens to players when they make a move to a big club where the fans can get on your back if you are not mentally strong enough.
He did look a cracking player buy at the time so can't be too critical of the club here for me.

It’s a weird one. He’s getting a game for Croatia but doesn’t look great in Scottish football. If he goes, you’d think we could recoup what we paid on him and maybe even a bit more with the recent caps.

Borna backpass

Borna Frustration
huge_avatar

Too good for Scottish Football. Behave.
Have you watched other football?

Scottish football is one of the worst leagues I have ever seen, it's terrible.
Take a look at Europe, some of the smaller countries, they play football, not 90mph hoofing up the park then putting in as hard tackles as possible to get the ball back. Stop, start, stop, start, foul after foul.
Horrible football.

Scottish football is a joke. One of the reason we did well in Europe was because most of the players had never played in Scotland and were used to playing actual football.

I really hoped for big things from BB , feel like I’ve backed and defended him constantly on these threads since he got here. And although he hasn’t had much luck with injuries and managed a run of good games , it looks like his time is probably up.

Playing devil's advocate a bit, he was very good for Croatia because he was essentially playing left wing and had one job to do, run in behind and whip balls in. He's not much of a defender but does have talent playing as a winger.

He was also very unlucky to finally get a game in that particular game yesterday. If he'd played in some of the very comfortable games over the past couple of months he would probably have played well.

That is only a partial defence, reigning in some of the over the top criticism if anything. It's hard to see a place for him here without a bit of aggression in his game.

I reckon he has a better first season than Papac did personally, comfortably a better season actually - would have been a mistake to chase Sasa that summer.

I personally think some of the comments have been a bit over the top with Barasic. He didn't have a good performance yesterday, I think that's very clear. I think some of the comments about his ability are way off the mark though. He is a talented player - we've seen that. Something isn't right at the moment though. Whether it's because his confidence has been wrecked or injury or perhaps the change to Rangers just is too big for him.

I don't know if he'll stay on with us or whether Gerrard will just look to move him on. I am confident though that he'll probably go on to have a very decent career.

As a above, I don't know what is going on with him and he hasn't played all that well. However, I don't think he's a shitbag, I don't think he's poor at tackling or crossing. I don't think he's afraid to get stuck in. Perhaps sticking with him is a better idea and see if we can get that player we thought we initially had back up and running. Unlike players like Worrall - Barasic hasn't had a run in the team for a few games and under performed.

Just looks an absolute Jessie.
Would maybe be ok in a more technical league, but doesn’t have the guts to play for us.

Not the sort of thing you can say in this woke age without criticism. However, it's true.

For all his talent (and to get in that Croation squad he 100% does have it) he's a complete shitebag and that never works out in Scotland.

This isn't the first time he's had a move from Osijek to a bigger club with more expectation and he's shat it.

He's not cut out for our league whatsoever.

We need a new left back.

Grezda, Barisic and Katic are like Sebo, Sionko and Papac in that order.

I really don’t get it with this guy. When we saw him for Osijek and when he first played for us he looked like a real powerhouse and fired in loads of Tav-esque crosses from the left and I really liked what I saw.

Now more often than not he loses tackles, gets caught out defensively and rather than fire in crosses passes square or backwards. The fact he is playing like a shitebag against the likes of Chris Burke is unacceptable.

Would gladly see him moved on in the summer although given how poor he has been recently I don’t suspect there will be many suitors.

I would persist with Barisic, I think yesterday was a test for him by the manager, given the whole "can't play on plastic pitches" due to previous injuries etc. He went out and done a job, yeah he wasn't great but none of the team were. He's hasn't kicked a ball competitively for weeks and then it thrust into action with a makeshift team. I think he'll be a lot more solid next year, especially with Katic by his side.

Shocking again yesterday. I've tried to give him a chance but I can't see him turning it around.

I really wanted it to work for him. Hes been criticised too many times this season and I have try to defend him and give him time but that yesterday was it for me. I couldn't care less if he left now. Absolute mouse of a player and was criminal for both goals. Time and time again the opposition's only joy is down his side and his positional sense was laughable.

I still think we can get a few million for him due to his international status. He has been capped for Croatia after all.

He wasn't good yesterday.

The issue with Barisic is that he will forever be compared to Tavernier, because they are attacking full backs. But Barisic is missing some of the fundamental traits and abilities that make Tavernier so good:

Athleticism
Close Control
Ability to cut inside or underlap inside the winger

Barisic either doesn't have those abilities or hasn't shown them yet.

He'll always be a good player because his crossing and his dead ball/set piece ability is tremendous. But those things can only take you so far.

I really don’t get it with this guy. When we saw him for Osijek and when he first played for us he looked like a real powerhouse and fired in loads of Tav-esque crosses from the left and I really liked what I saw.

Now more often than not he loses tackles, gets caught out defensively and rather than fire in crosses passes square or backwards. The fact he is playing like a shitebag against the likes of Chris Burke is unacceptable.

Would gladly see him moved on in the summer although given how poor he has been recently I don’t suspect there will be many suitors.
Thinking the exact same myself. Like a different player to the one I saw for Osijek.

I am with you.
This player has had a stop and start season and not really delivered.
But the ability is there.
I think he is a coach's problem.

Wilkinson at Leeds had a guy called Cantona which he couldn't quite get to fit into his team the way he wanted to and just gave up on the player selling him to Ferguson for a million quid. (How I wish it had been us that bought him!)
Ferguson fitted the lad into his plans with some aplomb.
Anyone on here remember how that worked out?

I would have delivered Mark Hateley to the airport myself in the early days, and the same with McCoist in his early period in a Rangers shirt.
Now I am older and hopefully, know better.

Stevie the Ger will know what kind of player he has, he will know the man inside the shirt and perhaps this will either sink or swim the lad in his Ibrox career.
I hope he learns to swim.
I hope you’re right, but I have gone from a defender to a sceptic with him.

I don’t get why he’s a Croatian international. Stevie must see something but I’m guessing that he won’t have long left.

It was the wrong game to bring him back yesterday, they targeted him from minute 1 launching high balls at him for them to chase down.

I don't think we should necessary rush to get rid, unless he holds his hands up and admits it himself that he is too weak for the Spfl.

Back