Rangers vs Blackburn Rovers Match Thread

We did well enough considering the changes. I would suggest a couple more subs - Polster for Tav and Halliday for Barisic - might have livened things up a bit. We were done on the flanks after 65 minutes, a sub or two in those positions might have given us a bit more fire going forward.
But it was a friendly, and Morelos showed a lovely touch for his 'goal' again so, as turgid as it was, it was a good run out for the players.
Also, it was a bit of a wake-up call for them - now they know what it's like when teams don't just hang back or aren't good enough to push back at us. A good exercise!

Thanks to all the Bears for the updates this afternoon.
Losing bet;could have cashed out; but shoulda,woulda,coulda.
WATP :cool::cool:

The friendlies meant nothing when we played well and they mean nothing tonight.

Kilmarnock is the first real game and then the qualifiers start for real in round 3

Progres will be watching that rubbing their hands together or something

Totally dominant until the subs and the rolls Royce went of with Arfield.

Jones really grew into the game, Ojo offered nothing yet again, he’s like a man down at times. I’m confident he will improve but the bigger worry is his work ethic and game intelligence has been really lacking.

That is a good kick up the backside that will ensure that we’re not overconfident going into next few games.
I expect there will be a few tongue lashings from Stevie G.
It keeps players on their mettle.
And it also shows what happens when you give goals away.
The goal we conceded was unprofessional due to overconfidence.

We struggled with Blackburns high high pressing game in the second half...That is the hardest test so far and we didn't look to good the last 20 mins..Hope we learn from it?

Nothing game but the second half was our poorest half so far this close season.

Davis and Arfield make us tick ,not sure if that's a worry or a bonus..

The manager looks really hacked off.

I think he will be.

That was the type of game we’re we would always drop points against top 6 teams and today we looked a bit tired and no inspiration apart from Davis.

I hope SG warns them about this and he uses this result as an example of what isn’t acceptable.

I still think we need another midfielder to open teams up and a striker who offers something different.

Once we made the subs we started playing really sh1t, Kamara is not on it just now and Davis is our most crucial player, thats very clear to see.

Periods in the 1st half we could have been 3 up and had them on the ropes but 2nd half was not great, good to get it out the system now before the season starts.

I think Edmundson at the moment should be a certain starter

Their keeper made a couple of brilliant saves and apart from their goal, they never created anything.

Disappointing result and too many slack moments, but overall I still feel confident for the season ahead.

The changes helped Blackburn more than us,Davis and Jones were the standouts when they were on the pitch.good work out for the team against a decent team who are better than most of the teams we will face this season

Hopefully that's out of our system and were ready and up for it on Thursday.

I didn't rate Blackburn but if you'd only seen Rangers today you wouldn't rate us either.

Pointless reading too much into friendlies but takeaways are:

- Davis is crucial to our midfield controlling tempo. No one could get near him. Kamara is also capable but was sloppy when he came on
- Aribo looks like he has some real class
- Katic was poor in possession & was awful for their goal (I think but need to see it again as I haven't seen a replay)
- Jones needs to lift his head. Also looks like his end product is going to be extremely inconsistent
- Also wasn't impressed by Ojo who kept telegraphing the curled shot on his left foot. My mate is a Fulham season ticket holder & warned me that Ojo was prone to disappearing against decent opposition so its something Ill be keeping an eye on.

Blackburn were far better than I was expecting. If that's the way they played and the team they had in the championship, I'd be surprised that they were relegated.

If Gerrard was unhappy about the first half he's going to be seething at the second. I'm a big fan of Katic but he hasn't done himself any favours today.

Good in patches, but didn’t take our chances. Also showed the need for a more creative mid when Davis isn’t on the pitch.

Today Kamara master of the back pass.

Wasnt just that, he got caught in possession as soon as he came on and then continued to do it. Blackburn stepped up their pressing in the 2nd half and none of our subs really got to grips with the pace of the game.

A lot of people on here panicking for no reason. It's a pre season game and we dominated for all but 20 minutes. If the 4 subs aren't made we would've won the game. That amount of subs at once really doesn't help. Kamara has looked off the pace in the last 2 games though

I think he will be.

That was the type of game we’re we would always drop points against top 6 teams and today we looked a bit tired and no inspiration apart from Davis.

I hope SG warns them about this and he uses this result as an example of what isn’t acceptable.

I still think we need another midfielder to open teams up and a striker who offers something different.

Impossible to say that from a pre season, every tackle is half hearted in a friendly is never played with the same intensity as competitive. We also wouldn’t change the squad to that extent mid match. If that was a league game one up Arfield and Davis would have remained on the park. We learned nothing from today that will tell us anything about the Season.

Gerrard won't be happy with that performance.

Kamara doesn't seem to of pushed on from last season. Seems new arrivals into midfield has out him off his game. He's not the same player as last season

Gerrard won't be happy with that performance.

Kamara doesn't seem to of pushed on from last season. Seems new arrivals into midfield has out him off his game. He's not the same player as last season

We are still in pre season really. "Not the same player as last season" seems a little extreme.

Kamara hasn’t hit the ground running at all it’s fair to say.

Ojo looks like a loan player. Capable of some nice moments but not at the level of the rest of the lads who have been playing proper league football for years.

We were doing well until Gerrard tore our entire middle line up. Maybe a test to see who would step up or maybe I'm giving him too much credit.
No, it was a pre season friendly and be simply wanted to get more players match sharpness up, the result matters not a jot in the grand scheme of things.

Back