Nikola Katić – Best CB At Ibrox

Not sure if that's true or not, but what is true is we have 4 excellent players fighting for two spots!

Would have to agree but only with an experienced centre backnext to him. Takes more than defensive Ability to organise a defence. Going to be a big season for him to take that step up.

He still gets too tight to players and has positional play to learn, but he’s a monster in the air and has the makings of a top centre half. For the first time in a long time I feel we are very well covered in the centre half area. Katic will play his part this season and is a great back up to have.

Four excellent Centre backs - which one is best ?

For me they each have different 'best' features so I, for one, wont be drawn to make that call.

Suffice to say it is an excellent little problem for SG !

I actually see this as a massive problem.

Centre half is a position that is a partnership and not for rotation. So if two of them are going to play 40 games each then that doesn't leave a lot of games to keep the other two happy

I like Katic but he’s probably 3rd choice at the moment and will likely be 4th choice once Hellander is up to speed.

Centre half is a position that is a partnership and not for rotation. So if two of them are going to play 40 games each then that doesn't leave a lot of games to keep the other two happy

Its not a problem at all, let alone a massive one. Its an excellent situation for Rangers.

The weird phenomenon on here that is slowly turning Goldson into this years whipping boy is a sad thing to watch unfold.

It’s the usual on here though.

Nobody can be good without someone else being bad.

My honest belief is that our years in the wilderness with shite squads has really had an effect on the brains of some fans who can no longer get their head around the possibility of us having more than a starting eleven and a bench.

People calling him 4th choice after seeing Edmundson play one game is absolutely mental.

He's better than Goldson too

Folk on here will tell you Helander is number one based on nothing but his transfer fee alone.

Not true at all.

Do your homework on stuff like this and go and check how often they are rotated. I guarantee that you don’t need to look too far to see that Van Dijk played plenty of games with Gomez - before his injury - then Matip and Lovren, while Guardiola mixed his main three regularly as well.

It’s the usual on here though.

Nobody can be good without someone else being bad.

My honest belief is that our years in the wilderness with shite squads has really had an effect on the brains of some fans who can no longer get their head around the possibility of us having more than a starting eleven and a bench.

Someone just pointed out to me on Twitter that under Walter we had Bjorkland, Gough, Brown and McLaren at the same time. Everyone one them an excellent player, the amount of sand in the vag on here that would have caused.

Last edited:
Not true at all.

Do your homework on stuff like this and go and check how often they are rotated. I guarantee that you don’t need to look too far to see that Van Dijk played plenty of games with Gomez - before his injury - then Matip and Lovren, while Guardiola mixed his main three regularly as well.

Last season Katic and Goldson were good. Katic got rested, dropped, rotated or what ever and didn't recover his form all season.

Worral had a few games in and out and only settled down when he was playing every week.

City played Laporte with another most games.

Liverpool as you said played with the same two with exception of injuries.

It's a position that partnerships bring out the best in defences.

He was outstanding the day.

Gerrard has a big decision next weekend.

With only seeing Edmundson and Helander a few times my opinion may change but Katic is our strongest defender in the opposition box.

With alot of games he could easily get 7, 8 goals a season.

Love the guy, everytime we have a corner/free kick into the box he's a massive danger for the opposition. We have four great CBs who will be rotated throughout the season, that's some welcomed strength we've not had for a while. What is mental though is folk claiming katic is 4th choice

A good problem for the manager to have as who to start games with, i would favour katic to be a regular all the same.

Two good GK’s
Four good CB’s
Two great strikers

Davis, Aribo, Arfield......

Firstly time in a while - we have “back-up” options who are more than capable as our “first picks”

I don’t think any individual player in our squad could be considered a guaranteed first pick week after week.
McGregor, Tav and Davis probably are. Other than those 3, I think you are right mate.

We have four top centre half's now the only thing is they have different strengths so we have to look at the opposition to see who is the best pairing for each specific opponent

Slightly biased but Katic would start for me and let the others fight it put. As this rate he will be in Croatia senior team regularly. He would probably make us the most money of the 4 if we sold him.

Right, where's the daily Barisic thread ;)

McGregor, Tav and Davis probably are. Other than those 3, I think you are right mate.

Aye your prob right....

Definitely Tav.
Most likely McGregor.
On recent form, yes probably Davis. But based on other options and number of games we’ll Be playing and his age.... I don’t think he’ll be a “guaranteed” first pick.

Great head-ache for Gerrard to have though.

Absolutely love Nikola Katić, reminds me of nacho for some strange reason! The big man has an amazing attitude, really hope he goes on to become a proper Rangers legend like the wee man.

As most are saying they are all very good CB's and it's down to the manager to choose who he thinks are best for the task in hand, he did say that no position was a given and that all the players had to prove that they were worthy of the shirt, we might see 2 different pairings this season depending on the opposition,but that's only what I would like to see,giving the players a constant of playing together and showing what they can do,but I'm only a supporter so it matters not one jot what I would prefer

The weird phenomenon on here that is slowly turning Goldson into this years whipping boy is a sad thing to watch unfold.
Goldson is still ahead of Katic for me. His positional sense, recovery and timing are all superior. Katic is dominant in the air and has huge potential. Helander and Goldson for me, but we now have 4 great options.

I’ve argued the point loads on here recently. Goldson is still our best centre back. Probably could be Hellander but we’ve not seen enough yet. Katic is the future

It’s great we’ve got 4 centre backs who we can have no worries about.

I’ve argued the point loads on here recently. Goldson is still our best centre back. Probably could be Hellander but we’ve not seen enough yet. Katic is the future

It’s great we’ve got 4 centre backs who we can have no worries about.
Katic may not want to hang around if he gets into Croatias main squad especially if he aint starting regularly. Will be off to England or Germany, but at a healthy profit for us.

He was outstanding the day.

Gerrard has a big decision next weekend.

With only seeing Edmundson and Helander a few times my opinion may change but Katic is our strongest defender in the opposition box.

With alot of games he could easily get 7, 8 goals a season.

Didn’t he get maybe 6 last season incl the two friendlies ?

Back