Nikola Katić – Best CB At Ibrox

I think he's the best backs to the wall, attack the ball defender.

If we play against a team we expect to put us under a lot of pressure, he should play.

But for games we dominate I think Edmundson is better at building play from the back and is quicker against counter attacks.

No idea yet if Helander is better yet.

Tell you what - we are 1-0 with 10 minutes to go against a decent team then we have fantastic options for a quartet of backs to the wall defenders to see out a game. We appear to have four defenders now that will defend for their very existence.

Been saying that since last year....as a CH myself back in the day....he has everything. Size, Aggression, dominant in the air, pace and an eye for goal and reads the game well. This lad is the real deal, mark my words.....he’ll go for silly money in the big leagues!

I prefer Katic over Goldson as well tbh but Goldson seems to escape a lot of the criticism that Katic gets.

Also, he wins absolutely everything in the air - in both boxes.

I think it’s because Goldson is English, cost upwards of £3m, and came from an EPL side. I actually thought he looked a little bit rocky again last week.

One thing’s for sure, Katic for the lesser game time he gets, puts the ball in the net more than any of them, his aerial threat is huge. Too bad he probably won’t have too many chances to put it to use.

Been saying that since last year....as a CH myself back in the day....he has everything. Size, Aggression, dominant in the air, pace and an eye for goal and reads the game well. This lad is the real deal, mark my words.....he’ll go for silly money in the big leagues!

Agree. Don’t have your qualification, being a midfielder, but with you all the way :D

I think he's the best backs to the wall, attack the ball defender.

If we play against a team we expect to put us under a lot of pressure, he should play.

But for games we dominate I think Edmundson is better at building play from the back and is quicker against counter attacks.

No idea yet if Helander is better yet.

Helander’s passing was excellent today. Definitely the best passer of the four if today is anything to go by mate.

Early doors but from what I’ve seen from edmundson, it’s the other 3 who have to fight for their place

Great CB but prone to errors and still developing. Goldson n Hellander will be our 1st choice pairing imho...

I think we have 3 it's my honest opinion that Goldson is not up to it his distribution every game he plays is awful, today was another example 2 long balls out wide one out the park and the other our player struggled to keep in, he is no ma cup of tea at all

So, he’s not up to it because he misplaced two passes? He’s a centre back in Scotland. We don’t need him to be Maldini.

We all have our favourites, and we would all have different orders of preference for the 4 of them. However, imo, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen us with such strength in depth at the CB position. Every one of them can come in and do a job when called upon.

Goldson best at club for me but katic is class. His goal threat should make him first pick alongside goldson imo. Helander - I have no idea yet.

He still gets too tight to players and has positional play to learn, but he’s a monster in the air and has the makings of a top centre half. For the first time in a long time I feel we are very well covered in the centre half area. Katic will play his part this season and is a great back up to have.

This for me. Love Katic and he has a huge future in the game. But yeah, he can be a bit rash at times and sometimes all over the place. Those will be ironed out with experience.

Two good GK’s
Four good CB’s
Two great strikers

Davis, Aribo, Arfield......

Firstly time in a while - we have “back-up” options who are more than capable as our “first picks”

I don’t think any individual player in our squad could be considered a guaranteed first pick week after week.

Probably only Tav.

Katic has only one fault for me, and that fault is solely down to his age.

He tries to jump in to get the ball in situations where he should just jockey the player, he gives away silly fouls where there is no need. This will improve with age and experience, I have no doubt.

Apart from that, he is outstanding and he has the potential to go right to the top.

Not a mention at all for Edmundson ?

He might just be the best of the 4
Four names and all four being quoted as possibly the best.
It’s often said that five posters would mean ten opinions on a subject but this time it’s a good thing.
Unless you’re the manager because, for certain, he’s liked the wrong two, regardless of the result.

For me watching the game Katic looks really good. Look at his stats though nd you see a different picture. Stop and think through his stats and you realise they don’t lie.

He isn’t the strongest defender. He has huge potential though. I believe if he continues to grow and develop we have a top defender. But he isn’t there yet. Goldson a lot better. Hellander and Goldson for me.

Our biggest goal threat at set pieces. Got to play big Katic + one of the others every time. Fantastic player.
You quite simply cannot select a centre back based on his goalscoring potential at a set play.
This isn’t a full back getting forward here.

You quite simply cannot select a centre back based on his goalscoring potential at a set play.
This isn’t a full back getting forward here.

Agreed, but he's a solid, brave defender too.
Some games we're getting twenty odd corners and free kicks, so having a big guy that scores from these is a huge asset. Not seen enough of the new boys yet, but I think Katic should play.

Agreed, but he's a solid, brave defender too.
Some games we're getting twenty odd corners and free kicks, so having a big guy that scores from these is a huge asset. Not seen enough of the new boys yet, but I think Katic should play.
Is that not part of the problem for supporters?
We choose our preference based on very little evidence.

A decent player. I’m just glad of our options, given some of those who have ‘graced’ the jersey in the last 7 or 8 years.

I was just thinking when it comes to set-pieces what a formidable weapon Rangers will have in the form of Katic and Helander. I fully anticipate that this duo will score quite a few goals between them over the course the season.

All our players look like world beaters in pre season when the ball is on the deck on a nice pitch at a pace that suits us.

We will find out next week against Killie and Hibs when the ball is end to end, in the air and the bad tackles are flying......who is ready for the challenge ahead.

For what it’s worth, I reckon if you asked all the SPL strikers who the best centre half in the league is the majority would say Goldson. IMO he is our most complete defender (haven’t seen Helinder yet)

I like Katic a lot, but we now have four really good central defenders and whichever two are chosen to play will have to be on top of their game to hold onto the jersey. A very nice headache for the manager to have.

I'm loving it that we now have real quality in every position it's been a long dark road back to were we are now thanks to Sir stevie g I genuinely feel this is our season the mentally challengeds are there for the taking as for our cb pairing I'm goldson no 1 the rest to fight it out but I don't think we're gony have first and second choice I think horses for courses

Love the big guy! “No Surrender Niko K” sound like a fitting song:D

However, we now appear to have four very able centre backs!

We have 4 centre half options for 2 positions. Wouldn't surprise me to see Goldson and Helander for Europe and Edmunson and Katic for SPL.

Aberdeen away I would rather have the latter, Villarreal away for instance I would rather have the former.

Its an envious position for us to be in and one where I don't envy SG in dropping one from the 18 every single week.

I love Niko but after watching Ed and paying the amount we did for the Highlander... looks like 4th choice.
That's not a bad thing having a guy as solid as Niko 4th choice. Says we have some cracking options.

I love big Niko hes a fucking machine!
Would be in my starting 11 most weeks, especially against teams that like to just boot the ball high up the pitch, like Aberdeen.

Back