Nikola Katić – Best CB At Ibrox

I really like Katic but I don't get this OTT fawning over him. He's had some excellent games for us but also some howlers, his distribution is also very poor at times.

I love big Niko hes a fucking machine!
Would be in my starting 11 most weeks, especially against teams that like to just boot the ball high up the pitch, like Aberdeen.

I agree.

I see people saying he is 4th choice. That is total nonsense. The two new signings are just through the door and have hardly played a game against anyone of note. Helander on paper should stroll it up here, however after players like Boli and Alves struggling to play in Scotland we can’t take it as a given that Helander will be a success.
I hope however he does a Amoruso/Bougherra up here.
As for Katic and Goldson both are good defenders however I think there is a bit more complacency in Goldson’s game and more errors also.
Even if SG thinks Goldson is better or anyone else for that matter, in my opinion Katic is the better player and as he matures he will get even better. If we hold on to him and play him regularly I am certain he will become a Croatian international player and could make us silly money in the future.

I really like Katic but I don't get this OTT fawning over him. He's had some excellent games for us but also some howlers, his distribution is also very poor at times.

The amount of poor games he has had is probably about 4 at most. I don’t think any of our other CH match that last year and had more howlers. However they never suffered the same criticism of any mistakes like Katic did, despite the fact Katic never cost us a goal in any match I can remember in the league or cup.
His distribution is fine. He is our only CH who carries the ball forward into midfield to create space .
Last year we had Goldson and Worrall making sideways passes to each other slowing the game down or Goldson lumping the ball into the corner.
Goldson looks better when Katic is alongside him as both cover the faults in each other’s game. Katic also seems to be able to work with any CH next to him which is a plus.

He was absolutely imperious tonight

This guy is going to have a huge career, at club and international level

he's easily the best, at the moment, and should retain his position. Helander has major competition

Gough must be sitting at home smiling to himself. "I've mentored that mad Croatian bastard and Im proud as feck". Love him to bits. He was even headbutting Aribo first half !!!!

Our 2 centre Half's had a real game tonight and came through with flying colours.

Did we really need this other centre half we paid all the money for?

Have to admit the OP is looking right on this one, he’s an outstanding player and a warrior

Took Aribo out in first couple of minutes and as hes going off with his head ringing the big man is giving him instructions which probably translated to get out the fucking way next time!!! Superb tonight and will only get better. Could maybe have done better at second goal if being hyper critical, but defo deserves to keep the jersey. Big man could he a Rangers great.

Not a mention at all for Edmundson ?

He might just be the best of the 4
Still raw especially in a positional sense mate,but young CB’s tend to be regardless.
Definitely got some excellent attributes though in the albeit little I’ve seen of him.

He's going to turn into a top pro and we'll get both good game time from him as well as sell on value.

Very clinical about his work and no histrionics. Want him to stay a good few years but

The Swed and Edmunston coming have hopefully shoved a rocket up the 4rses of both Niko and Goldson.

They know they have a poor game they won't get back in easy so will be a win win for us.

Both NK and CC are pur first choice pairing at the moment.

At least Helender won't be flung in and expected to be up to speed.

Compare and contrast this signing and Grezda. Money spent on them but I am not fussed if he doesn't start as NK is showing us he merits the start.

Just love him, and big Conner probably had his best game for us.
Much more assured and confident

What sums up the big man ,Flannigan get caught up field a bit (one of his few mistakes tonight) ball got slipped to the winger ,Katic sensed the danger came over cleaned the ball and the man out for a throwin .Got back up sprinted into his position . Brilliant

Goldson is still better.

Less rash, better positioning and decision making. Katic will end up better though.

Two really decent centre backs.

Think all 4 are very good players with slightly different attributes:
Helander we know little about yet but, by reputation and cost, can be presumed to be of good quality.
Katic is an absolute beast who takes no prisoners and is dominating in the air. Also a huge threat from set pieces.
Edmundson is an effective tackler who looks the most comfortable with ball at feet and has an impressive range of passing. Also is very very quick which can be vital when we play a high line.
Goldson seems the most natural leader. The guy who can organise the others and command the area.

I’m happy with any 2 of them to be honest and that’s a great place to be. My only proviso is that, in league and European games, I would like it to be the same 2 consistently. I don’t think chopping and changing is good for the back line.

No is the answer to that and is a baffling signing
I honestly believe you’re wrong here.
I’ve posted very recently that, well, let’s just say that Katic and Goldson are our first picks.
One gets injured.
Do you really believe we can trust Edmundson, an inexperienced kid to maintain the performance level we need from our centre backs?
To me, we definitely required a fourth option for centre back.

I honestly believe you’re wrong here.
I’ve posted very recently that, well, let’s just say that Katic and Goldson are our first picks.
One gets injured.
Do you really believe we can trust Edmundson, an inexperienced kid to maintain the performance level we need from our centre backs?
To me, we definitely required a fourth option for centre back.

For the first time in years, I don't have the fear that an injury or suspension to either of our CB's would normally bring, Edmundson looks the part from what I have seen.

The fact we now have choices for cover let alone discussions as to who should be first choice.........even better.

He had simple stepped up, the reason being is because we have serious competition for the position long may it continue

Without a doubt the number 1 centre back at the club. Huge danger at set pieces, will header anything including his own player (take note Aribo).

Goldson is still better.

Less rash, better positioning and decision making. Katic will end up better though.

Two really decent centre backs.
Agree.
May not be popular on here but Goldson’s positional sense is better.

Back