Ibrox capacity increase

As a rough guess, GCC probably own the bit between the Albion and the filling station as there used to be a couple of high rise blocks there. Network Rail will be responsible for the land with the railway sidings that extends towards Helen Street
I can probably find out the extent NR own.

NR would be relatively simple to deal with I would reckon.
They are selling a lot of land off to raise capital.

I can probably find out the extent NR own.

NR would be relatively simple to deal with I would reckon.
They are selling a lot of land off to raise capital.

That bit of siding was cleared of all the vegetation recently as apparently SPT are testing new subway trains on it. If the club wanted the extra parking space I think they’d have to look at going over the top of it. Might it make NR easier to deal with? If the club could get all that land and could get access directly to Helen Street, it could improve the parking greatly. Possibly build above the existing car park for a fan zone if the astroturf park can’t be bought?

If the work to be carried out only adds say an extra 3000 then i would rather the money was spent on surrounding areas the walkways leading up to Ibrox are full of potholes ect the car park space where the memorial garden was meant to go doesnt get used the place is in dire need of work

I agree anything out with a major redevelopment will look like a patch up job. Money spent in the surrounding area, which quite frankly is a mess would be money well spent.
BTW fans saying we should remove the screens etc THAT is a major redevelopment and would cost 10 millions

Could they take an inch off of every seat and add in extra? Even 10 per row would give you about an extra 750 hours n Govan alone? Possibly similar between Copland and Broomloan?

Could they take an inch off of every seat and add in extra? Even 10 per row would give you about an extra 750 hours n Govan alone? Possibly similar between Copland and Broomloan?

Its as tight AF as it is just now. If anything seats need increased, but I like your way of thinking.
I honestly think if we can't spend money on major redevelopment (which i'd love us to do) then money spent on making the trip to Ibrox a better experience for fans is the way to go. Better loos, food outlets, merchandise shops within the stadium, new seats and a general upgrade of outer buildings and surrounding area. Will cost a lot of money too but can be done over a period of time. A 50k Stadium with great facilities inside and out would be fabulous.

Are the advertising boards on the middle of the Govan/Copland/Broomloan necessary as there are digital boards trackside? I like the idea of making the Copland/Broomloan one single tier with increased gradient a bit like hibs newish stand so despite being high up, you’re still close to the action.

As @forlanssister alludes to, we need to take account of our disabled supporters, could we make the home corner / Ibrox suite more disabled friendly with hydraulic lifts / ramps for access ? Take away the seats and make the area wheelchair friendly?

I’d personally put the away fans back in BF1 like we used to or directly behind it and fence/Perspex around it, then have your safe standing or equivalent in the current away corner.

I think we have a great Stadium that just needs tweaked, there appears to be a lot of people on here with no grasp of Financial reality.

Not sure if that’s 100% fair Robert.

The club must think like most fans that Ibrox is a little smaller than potentially we need. They also see despite not being full always that Celtic get a financial gain from having the bigger stadium.

Some people one here dismissed the idea of expansion out of hand claiming due to their business acumen that we couldn’t do it which seems wrong given the news the club are planning to expand.

There are other people who IMHO rightly suggest it’s not necessarily how much money the club has to put in and more about finding a partner in the project that gains in exposure or their own commercial interests. Add into that an obvious thawing in relations by the city council who now maybe accept the historical aspect of Ibrox. Finding people to come in on the project could make things happen. Club could also raise money on the future increase in revenue with said partners over a period of time.

I think it’s very prevalent within the rangers support to be a bit reserved and conservative but Rangers have always been innovative and look to improve all throughout our history.

I accept its very different financial times to when we modernised Ibrox back in the day or when we decided to add club deck or fill corners but there are people and companies with money who will still add to building projects.

Given our proximity to the airport I always thought we would appeal to a huge airline or hotel chain who would perhaps build a hotel at the ground and develop that way.

I’m very hopeful with what has been said about the importance of 2022 that the board will surprise us with something really good.

Not sure if that’s 100% fair Robert.

The club must think like most fans that Ibrox is a little smaller than potentially we need. They also see despite not being full always that Celtic get a financial gain from having the bigger stadium.

Some people one here dismissed the idea of expansion out of hand claiming due to their business acumen that we couldn’t do it which seems wrong given the news the club are planning to expand.

There are other people who IMHO rightly suggest it’s not necessarily how much money the club has to put in and more about finding a partner in the project that gains in exposure or their own commercial interests. Add into that an obvious thawing in relations by the city council who now maybe accept the historical aspect of Ibrox. Finding people to come in on the project could make things happen. Club could also raise money on the future increase in revenue with said partners over a period of time.

I think it’s very prevalent within the rangers support to be a bit reserved and conservative but Rangers have always been innovative and look to improve all throughout our history.

I accept its very different financial times to when we modernised Ibrox back in the day or when we decided to add club deck or fill corners but there are people and companies with money who will still add to building projects.

Given our proximity to the airport I always thought we would appeal to a huge airline or hotel chain who would perhaps build a hotel at the ground and develop that way.

I’m very hopeful with what has been said about the importance of 2022 that the board will surprise us with something really good.
I was referring to these fans who think we should knock down 3 stands and build new ones, I believe we should try and get a 5/7 thousand extension but I think it is vital that we expand the Corporate Boxes

Some of us arent wee midgets mate. Lose feeling in my legs whenever i sit in the Main Stand/club deck unless its an aisle seat, because theres %^*& all legroom for everyone above 6'0! Dont need that problem in the rest of the ground too

its not the seats, its the concrete "steps" they are attached to that would be the problem, no? you cant rearrange them easily surely?

oh, i have just re-read this - do you mean an inch off the sides? so if row A had 100 seats you could squeeze in another 10 seats or something to make it 110 seats in Row A?

Last edited:
I was referring to these fans who think we should knock down 3 stands and build new ones, I believe we should try and get a 5/7 thousand extension but I think it is vital that we expand the Corporate Boxes

I’ll be honest I firmly believe if we want to be the biggest club in the country we need the stadium to be same or more than Celtic ideally. I know there are potentially huge costs in that hence the reason for the partners I mention before to be involved.

Ideally an extra tier on the Govan or a new three tier stand would be the ideal fix as you can see the capacity increase at Liverpool with their new 21,000 seat stand but when you see the costs involved with that it is as you say pie in the sky probably.

What we are looking into I guess is digging down and finding a solution to the water table problem to add extra few rows in front of existing stands and perhaps putting seats where the screens are.

As a wheelchair user I’ve also got other priorities when it comes to expansion as we need many more accessible seating solutions.

I don’t know how many seats long our stands are, it would be interesting to know that as it would give good estimate what each new row would add

I’ll be honest I firmly believe if we want to be the biggest club in the country we need the stadium to be same or more than Celtic ideally. I know there are potentially huge costs in that hence the reason for the partners I mention before to be involved.

Ideally an extra tier on the Govan or a new three tier stand would be the ideal fix as you can see the capacity increase at Liverpool with their new 21,000 seat stand but when you see the costs involved with that it is as you say pie in the sky probably.

What we are looking into I guess is digging down and finding a solution to the water table problem to add extra few rows in front of existing stands and perhaps putting seats where the screens are.

As a wheelchair user I’ve also got other priorities when it comes to expansion as we need many more accessible seating solutions.

I don’t know how many seats long our stands are, it would be interesting to know that as it would give good estimate what each new row would add
The water table problem could easily be overcome by digging down and 'tanking '
it very similar to a swimming pool, not sure the cost but it is an option.
Extend the front of the rear of both Copland and Broomloan similar to the Govan Rear
There are lots of wee things you can do, but all down to cost.
I think the Govan is about 120 sets long, so other two are probably 60

I think we have to accept there will be no new tiers or stands so it will be a combination of things and to be honest Ibrox looks fantastic already but I agree we need to increase the capacity.
I definitely think there is a solution to filling in the corners where the screens are and that would look great.
Digging down further is a possibility but it needs engineered to avoid flooding but it can be done.
Removing the centre of the broomloan and Copland stands and adding more seats.

The water table problem could easily be overcome by digging down and 'tanking '
it very similar to a swimming pool, not sure the cost but it is an option.
Extend the front of the rear of both Copland and Broomloan similar to the Govan Rear
There are lots of wee things you can do, but all down to cost.
I think the Govan is about 120 sets long, so other two are probably 60

You're half out on the seats. The Govan is 120 yards long and there's about two seats a yard. Similarly with the end stands. Bar72 created 700 seats by adding on three rows.

The dream is to have 3 extra tiers on the broomland, copland and govan. As well as filling in the corners and giant tv's. What do you think that would bring the capacity to??

The dream is to have 3 extra tiers on the broomland, copland and govan. As well as filling in the corners and giant tv's. What do you think that would bring the capacity to??
Three extra tiers on three stands? How are you going to find the space for that? You would be better off demolishing the Broomloan, Copland and Govan and making it a bowl shape while keeping the Main Stand.

I'd like to the corners filled in anything else I feel is a bonus. I'd love to see a third tier on the Sandy Jardine Stand but it's a longshot and probably will never happen.

Even better

The issue is that you can't do what we did to the Govan with the end stands as there is no overhang presently. While they look similar, they're not identical. Any top tier front row additional would simply lose the last row of the lower tier.

You're only option to gain seats in that space is to merge the lower and upper tier and that requires much more work and expense.

The issue is that you can't do what we did to the Govan with the end stands as there is no overhang presently. While they look similar, they're not identical. Any top tier front row additional would simply lose the last row of the lower tier.

You're only option to gain seats in that space is to merge the lower and upper tier and that requires much more work and expense.
I have not looked at in detail, but surely a cantilever system would allow for extra rows ?

I have not looked at in detail, but surely a cantilever system would allow for extra rows ?

@Mr Aqua

Not without losing the row below it. The pitch on the Govan stand front and rear sections is different to the end stands.

You can see here in 1985 or so long before Bar72 existed how the stands differ and why it was possible on the Govan.

Last edited:
@Mr Aqua

Not without losing the row below it. The pitch on the Govan stand front and rear sections is different to the end stands.

You can see here in 1985 or so long before Bar72 existed how the stands differ and why it was possible on the Govan.

That could be done with a few adjustments, anyway I have enough problems with our work in The Louden:):):)

That could be done with a few adjustments, anyway I have enough problems with our work in The Louden:):):)

Anything can be done but it's money. I'd imagine this feasibility study is going to show that any option they're looking at just now for adding a 1000 seats in three or four areas of the ground is going to come back costing a lot for what you get.

At that point, you really do wonder if a plan to replace the roofs on the three new stands with a cantilever construction is the most viable option as what you're spending elsewhere to gain a few thousand starts to become money down the drain when you could add 7,500 in the areas the where the screens are and not can involved in water tables or other issues. These would also become prime seats so, in the long run compared to another lot of low level seating, you make the money back.

I’ve always wondered if something could be done with the Argyle Suite hospitality boxes at the back of the Govan Rear. There’s a hell of a lot of wasted space there in the boxes, if these were refurbished, I reckon you could add another 4 or 5 rows of seats along the entire length of The Govan. The centre seats could be kept for the hospitality seats the same as every other hospitality section in the stadium, but you would still plenty left at either side to be sold as premium season tickets rather than the lower level seats that lowering stands have created.

I’ve always wondered if something could be done with the Argyle Suite hospitality boxes at the back of the Govan Rear. There’s a hell of a lot of wasted space there in the boxes, if these were refurbished, I reckon you could add another 4 or 5 rows of seats along the entire length of The Govan. The centre seats could be kept for the hospitality seats the same as every other hospitality section in the stadium, but you would still plenty left at either side to be sold as premium season tickets rather than the lower level seats that lowering stands have created.

There removed the back 2/3 row of seats of the Rear to accommodate the hospitality boxes in the 1st place

Do you mean to make them open planned than rather enclosed?

In the original " Blue Heaven" plans the screens were never ment to be there.

It was seats all the way. 58k rings a bell.

The screens are damn eyesore. Never ever any need for those at all.
Why the need for the screens anyway? I never did pay attention to them.

The Jumbotrons at the time were seen as the best thing but now they look absolutely shite and it’s wasted space.

I was always under the impression the Broomloan, Copland and Govan were designed so a third tier could be added.

Realistically though the top tier is going to be miles from the pitch - you’d want the stands to be steeper.

Easiest option would be filling the corners in.

@Mr Aqua

The picture in your post is brilliant as it shows the roof support structures (dark/black boxes on the two stand roofs and the pillars on the ends closest the pitch) which are the biggest problem for any plan to fill in the corners. I wonder if the feasibility studies are looking at the potential to replace these with much longer beams and pillars outwith the stadium footprint without needing to remove the existing roofs? That would allow for filling the corners to the full height. If it was done in a way where the Sandy Jardine roof beam was supported by the end stands roof beams or the roof was changed to a cantilever supported system then it could make putting a third tier on the Sandy Jardine stand slightly easier. FWIW, that third tier is where I’d put any away fans, out of sight, out of mind and enclosed by Perspex.

The picture in your post is brilliant as it shows the roof support structures (dark/black boxes on the two stand roofs and the pillars on the ends closest the pitch) which are the biggest problem for any plan to fill in the corners. I wonder if the feasibility studies are looking at the potential to replace these with much longer beams and pillars outwith the stadium footprint without needing to remove the existing roofs? That would allow for filling the corners to the full height. If it was done in a way where the Sandy Jardine roof beam was supported by the end stands roof beams or the roof was changed to a cantilever supported system then it could make putting a third tier on the Sandy Jardine stand slightly easier. FWIW, that third tier is where I’d put any away fans, out of sight, out of mind and enclosed by Perspex.

That's essentially what they did at the San Siro for the 1990 WC in extending the roof supports past the perimiter of the stadium.

It's not the modern way to do it. A light (by comparison) cantilever roof like they've got at Old Trafford for example, would allow the black pillars to be removed and have no restricted view seats in the area.

It's the "best" way to do it but cost is the issue.

I've said on a few threads now all the same that I do wonder if Ibrox would lose some of its volume. The roof structure we have just now keeps in so much of the noise due to being over engineered. It's why Ibrox is far louder than the likes of Parkhead (despite the lines trotted out about great European atmospheres) as noithing leaves the ground. It's fucking deafening at times in a way that other grounds built more recently can't be.

Last edited:
That's essentially what they did at the San Siro for the 1990 WC in extending the roof supports past the perimiter of the stadium.

It's not the modern way to do it. A light (by comparison) cantilever roof like they've got at Old Trafford for example, would allow the black pillars to be removed and have no restricted view seats in the area.

It's the "best" way to do it but cost is the issue.

I've said on a few threads now all the same that I do wonder if Ibrox would lose some of its volume. The roof structure we have just now keeps in so much of the noise due to being over engineered. It's why Ibrox is far louder than the likes of Parkhead (despite the lines trotted out about great European atmospheres) as noithing leaves the ground. It's fucking deafening at times in a way that other grounds bit more recently can't be.

I think it may end up easier/cheaper replacing the SJ roof with a cantilever structure and extending the beams on the two ends. Wonder if the SJ beam could be reused for either of the ends or would it no longer be deemed up to the task?

Three extra tiers on three stands? How are you going to find the space for that? You would be better off demolishing the Broomloan, Copland and Govan and making it a bowl shape while keeping the Main Stand.

Sure'y they can fit in an extra tier one each of those stands now? But yeah making it a 75 thousand stand would be a nice dream

Back