Barrie McKays Agent Says Forrest Would Have Payed Double The Price For Him

Using the transfer to beat Pedro is wrong, using the size of the fee to beat Pedro is correct. His actions drove the price down.

The only way the fee could be pushed up is if other clubs had a tug of war for his signature or Barry signed an extended contract to help the club get more cash on the basis he would remain on the transfer list but there were no other clubs and Barry did not want to sign! To sell him at that price would have been sanctioned from upstairs for reasons unbeknown to us it is hardly Pedro's fault given every player has a duty to give their all to their team even more so their fans, Barry was not prepared to do that imo! No player is ever bigger than the club he is gone and we move on! Those blaming Pedro for Barry are wrong to do so, he did not want to stay that is the be all and end of it.

Sounds like the agent still wishes his client was playing for one of the biggest football clubs in Europe.
Barry McKay made it absolutely clear he would not sign a new contract with us - the clubs only option was to sell...better getting £500k than sweet FA!

Could be that he never had a manager that
could drag that talent in him on to the park.

That is his job, not the managers! Seriously every professional player is looking for that big money-making move and are basically putting themselves in the shop window every time the play, Barry was no different and the fact other clubs were not falling over themselves for his signature at this time in his career speaks volumes about his performances on the park and conduct off it. Unfortunately for us, the top offer was 500k he could have waited and left for nothing so he was sold to the highest bidder! Would have got more if his form was good and he did not want to be here but his form was more cold than hot and he did not want to be here hence his value was agreed

I know not many will agree but,I believe McKay was the most naturally talented footballer
Scotland has produced in the last ten years.I also believe we should have given him the four year
contract that would have made him a happy camper.

Perhaps what we saw was potential to be the most naturally talented player in years but unfortunately, he did not fulfil that here, maybe he will elsewhere only time will tell?

The only way the fee could be pushed up is if other clubs had a tug of war for his signature or Barry signed an extended contract to help the club get more cash on the basis he would remain on the transfer list but there were no other clubs and Barry did not want to sign! To sell him at that price would have been sanctioned from upstairs for reasons unbeknown to us it is hardly Pedro's fault given every player has a duty to give their all to their team even more so their fans, Barry was not prepared to do that imo! No player is ever bigger than the club he is gone and we move on! Those blaming Pedro for Barry are wrong to do so, he did not want to stay that is the be all and end of it.

It is correct that while his contract was being run down his value would decrease. If however he hadn't been binned to the under 20's and played well in matches then other clubs may have shown interest.

Refusing to play him and publicly showing him to be demoted from the first team decreased his value.

If Pedro had decreed him to be sold the board could hardly go against him, they had to get the best figure whilst negotiating with no real position.

Whilst I totally agree that the boy was very inconsistent, I still believe that a better manager could get more out of him.
Along with the likes of McGinn, he's the kind of player we should be aiming to build a team around.

Is it standard practice for football managers to decide the selling price or are the sun full of shìte again?

Why does the agent make this statement?

Nothing but shit stirring, designed to get under the skin of Rangers and their fans. This agent comes across as an utter lady's front bottom, and he maybe has had too much influence on McKay and his decision making.

It is correct that while his contract was being run down his value would decrease. If however he hadn't been binned to the under 20's and played well in matches then other clubs may have shown interest.

Refusing to play him and publicly showing him to be demoted from the first team decreased his value.

If Pedro had decreed him to be sold the board could hardly go against him, they had to get the best figure whilst negotiating with no real position.

Other clubs had plenty of opportunity to check on mckay & but they never as far as I'm aware.

Ultimately the player wanted to leave & the fee we received was as good as we could probably have expected.

If anything him being binned to the U-20s would've increased interest if he was as good as many seem to want to make out. His value decreased because it was abundantly clear he was going. He wasn't signing the contract on offer and was leaving on a free at the end of the season.

His being demoted made that concrete and if clubs were the least bit interested in buying him, based on the ability he had shown in the more than ample game time he had, they'd have been like flies round shite.

Instead, he ended up at Forest... playing for Warburton... who he also rejected a Rangers extension with...

If McKay was showing himself as anything like the top talent in the country, he'd have been in demand. He was nothing of the sort.

Billy Gilmour was snapped up by Chelsea from us for not a kick in the baws off the fee paid for McKay the second he was able to be.

If one of the top sides in the EPL are aware of our youth players enough to sign them up like that for fees over and above what they needed to pay in terms of the rules, any suggestion that McKay somehow went under the RADAR while playing first team football for Rangers in the SPFL is patent nonsense.

I think the situation is fairly obvious. McKay didn't want to stay at Rangers. McKay was willing to stay with Rangers IF the club paid him enough money to do so.

The club didn't agree with his demands and an impasse was reached. McKay was more than entitled to find an alternative club which would give him more money. I have no issue with that. Pedro's man management I think was arguably questionable on a number of occasions.

However, we need to get past the notions that McKay was some sort of wonderkid for us, that we could have got a notably higher fee, that he was treated "like no human ever should be" or that he genuinely wanted to stay.

Frankly, he might go to do reasonably well down in the Championship. He may move around for inflated fees in the English bubble. I have next to zero interest in that, because the reality is that it has no bearing on anything relating to Rangers.

He had several years and multiple managers at our club to become the player he is bummed up as. He never ever reached the level he hinted he might be capable of. He never looked like he would IMHO. I think he may thrive somewhat at a smaller club with lower expectations in a league that is more forgiving to smaller, lightweight, technical players - I don't think he is close to looking like the top talent the country has produced in a decade. If he was, while supposedly proving a revelation in England, he'd have been on the team-sheet last night too.

Best of luck to him, but he was never going to be anything more than we'd already seen while at our club in my opinion.

Sorry, but I would much rather McKay on the left to Windass.

500k was, and still is, criminal.

Just another relationship Pedro failed with.
But McKay did not want to be on our left, did not want to play for us at all, refused to sign a new contract and basically downed tools to order long before Pedro came in. Nobody but his mate Warburton wanted him, they fixed the deal long before it happened and just let it run.

Rangers FC and Pedro had no option. Throw in that McKay is about the only player with less heart & fight than Windass and the picture becomes clearer.

Candeias has a tremendous work rate and has produced way more so far this season than Barrie the second coming did the whole of last. Sensationalist pish from an agent to get his player in the news and have a pop at us because he made a few bob.

Never take an agent at their word, but we definitely made a mistake with McKay.

This team would be so much better with McKay down the left and Candeias on the right. Anyone who can even contemplate arguing that isn’t to be entered into debate with.

He was a frustrating wee player to say the least but he was one of the only players in recent years that could have you on the edge of your seat over a passage of play.

I would still have liked to have seen him in a Gers team with better quality around him.

That's kinda my point, McKay gets all manner of abuse and dismissed over his inconsistency yet other players are very highly thought of, yet they were inconsistent.

Note; I'm not comparing them only the notion that it's ok for one to be inconsistent and another to get pelters for it, even after he has left.
That's kinda my point, McKay gets all manner of abuse and dismissed over his inconsistency yet other players are very highly thought of, yet they were inconsistent.

Note; I'm not comparing them only the notion that it's ok for one to be inconsistent and another to get pelters for it, even after he has left.

Wingers, by the very fact that they're wingers, are always inconsistent & generally not seen as the bravest of players so get abused quite regularly

Far better players than mckay got pelters & some still get it for a variety of reasons

To be clear, I don't think that McKay was a world beater. I think he was worth more than £500k if that's what we got. I'm in sales, I've seen property sell for more than market value and I've seen it sell for below. One thing that is very easy to prove though is that the more people who see the object for sale the more chance it has to achieve competition for its ownership.

Barrie having played well in the EL qualifier may have proved to be the difference between him getting more attention and us qualifying and what did actually occur. We will never know.

That knowledge is denied to us due to one of the financially worst appointments Rangers have made.

The board should have had McKay tied down on a longer contract long before Pedro arrived on the scene. We have undoubtedly lost a talented player for a lot less than his worth but it's history now and the wee guy didn't have the heart and desrire to become a Rangers great so I just hope lessons are learned from it going forward.

He' not even guaranteed a game for Forest.

He's played in 14 of their 16 league games. Started 13, so is very much a regular starter for them.

However people want to frame it, the reality is a 22 year old wide player capable of scoring 4 goals and having 7 assists in 14 games in the English Championship is worth a lot more than £500k.

I know a lot of us bought into the Pedro soundbites. No really getting past it now that he was a complete dud with bizarre people skills.

This team would be so much better with McKay down the left and Candeias on the right. Anyone who can even contemplate arguing that isn’t to be entered into debate with.

Ok I'll argue. If mckay wasn't going to sign a new contract he wouldn't have played regularly for obvious reasons, a lack of commitment being the main one, he would in no way would have put himself about, although that wasn't his game anyway, in case he got a bad injury & possibly missing out on a move to England + soon to be out of contract with us

All in all a decent bit of business by us to get the £500,000 or so.

To be clear, I don't think that McKay was a world beater. I think he was worth more than £500k if that's what we got. I'm in sales, I've seen property sell for more than market value and I've seen it sell for below. One thing that is very easy to prove though is that the more people who see the object for sale the more chance it has to achieve competition for its ownership.

Barrie having played well in the EL qualifier may have proved to be the difference between him getting more attention and us qualifying and what did actually occur. We will never know.

That knowledge is denied to us due to one of the financially worst appointments Rangers have made.

Barrie having played well in the countless appearances over several years he had under his belt would’ve got him noticed if clubs thought he was worth bidding for at a paltry half million...

The idea that not playing against Progres had any significant bearing on his eventual fee is pie in the sky.

Again. We got almost as much from Chelsea for a youth player around the same time.

Football and scouting is far more advanced nowadays and the idea that a EL qualifier is a valuable shop window for an experienced and already edtablished player is fallacy.

His agent would also be putting him about to drum up interest. The key point in your post is IF he played well. He had plenty appearances and clearly didn’t do enough for other clubs.

A player is only worth what clubs will offer. I repeat the Dembele £40 million fantasy, despite literally no bids being mooted.

Pity Barrie McKay did not want that, no debating required as you say. We made no mistake.

The board should have had McKay tied down on a longer contract long before Pedro arrived on the scene. We have undoubtedly lost a talented player for a lot less than his worth but it's history now and the wee guy didn't have the heart and desrire to become a Rangers great so I just hope lessons are learned from it going forward.
You do realise how short an extension McKay signed last time?

I am not sure why people do not understand that McKay wanted away from us asap.

Sounds like the agent still wishes his client was playing for one of the biggest football clubs in Europe.
Barry McKay made it absolutely clear he would not sign a new contract with us - the clubs only option was to sell...better getting £500k than sweet FA!
I think his agent is trying to let Championship teams know he can get them players cheap

Yeh he wanted out but mainly because the offers were derisory and still left him the least paid player in the first team. Whilst that would be enough for me (feck me i would pay them to let me play) it clearly wasn't recognising Barrie's contribution and his standing in the squad (as he saw it).

Sounds like mckay had delusions of adequacy.

Looks like this article has been lifted from the recent Fitba Hacks podcast. It was an interesting listen, but the agent comes across as always knowing / having known better than everyone else at all times. This type of claim is always much easier in hindsight. All to be taken with a pinch of salt really.

All other teams around already knew of his potential if you think his value decreased because he lost his place then surely that would have had an added bonus to other interested clubs to get him on the cheap but it did not so I am inclined to disagree my friend! If he (refused or?) was refused to play in the first team because he would not sign a new contract or he had a bad attitude then I for one have no complaints how it panned out! No player regardless of potential, form (be it hot or cold) or other is bigger than our club Barry is no exception!

As has been stated many, many times McKay had ample opportunity to sign an extended contract at Rangers. He rejected every offer until, eventually, he agreed to just a 1 year deal. Long before Caixinha came along. The only person who 'drove' McKay out of Ibrox was Barrie McKay!

Pedro in all his wisdom sent him to the under 20’s which pretty much ended any hope of us getting a half decent fee.

Sells McKay for buttons and brings in Dalcio.
We need to think and act far smarter and more commercially as a club. The bulk of our actions in the playing operation have been very poor over the last five years. Only really Tav and Foderingham have been decent value for money and consistent performers over a long period of time. Morelos will be good value and we shall see for the like of Dorrans and Jack.

The number of players acquired and binned with very little money coming into the club has been appalling.

So far it seems like Warburton, his agent and a few posters on here are the ones that rated McKay
The fact that no other club in world football bothered to bid at 500k suggests we got a fair price

This thread is delicious tbh

Same posters who spent ages arguing with me about how he would never amount to anything down there and how he was a "wee shitebag" who we were well rid of are clearly butthurt that he is, literally, the most productive midfielder in the Championship. Christ, it must be awful to be such a shocking judge of player

Brilliant to see wee Barrie absolutely ripping it up down there

So far it seems like Warburton, his agent and a few posters on here are the ones that rated McKay
The fact that no other club in world football bothered to bid at 500k suggests we got a fair price

He has the top assists in the Championship, ffs

What a shite argument that is, the fact that no one else was in for him. Is Morelos shite because we were the only club bidding for him? It's called getting a bargain

We would have got more than 500k for him if we didn't employ a talentless weirdo who thought he was the business trying to act as some kind of no-nonsense Sir Alex Ferguson to win over the fans after poor results

He’s got talent and no pace.

He’s got a shitty attitude which if fine if you’ve got pace.

He can dip a shoulder and not get by a defender because he’s got no pace.

In all - he’s not quick enough to be a top class player.

Unfortunately this is something he could have worked on if he didn’t fancy himself so much.

Fuuck him.

He has got a bit of pace on him. Usually teams doubled up on him though. Good example was forests 3 goal last week when he left the qpr left back for dead. For all its worth he didn't want to be here and we got 500k and hopefully a large percentage of sell on his contract. Let's hope the likes of Burnley, Southampton or Stoke decide to spend 25m on him

In all fairness, we very rarely get good money for players these days - I don't think our negotiating skills when it comes to selling are up to much. I think McKay went for far too little - regardless of how pointless he was becoming to us.

McKay blows hot and cold far too often to be a genuinely good player. Has some great ability, a horrible attitude and that mixture will see him never really reach his potential. We should still have got more cash for him - especially when selling him to Warburton.

However, he's gone now.

He has the top assists in the Championship, ffs

What a shite argument that is, the fact that no one else was in for him. Is Morelos shite because we were the only club bidding for him? It's called getting a bargain

We would have got more than 500k for him if we didn't employ a talentless weirdo who thought he was the business trying to act as some kind of no-nonsense Sir Alex Ferguson to win over the fans after poor results
So your argument is that lots of clubs were interested in him till they saw the way Pedro treated him then they decided not to bid?
Who were these clubs and how much were they going to bid before they changed their mind?
Most likely scenario to me is only Warburton was ever interested and he tapped him before or shortly after leaving
We were left with a player who downed tools and knew he was going
Dont think there was much point playing him after that

At no point have I said hes shite only that there was only one club interested in him.
If you know of others then lets hear who they are and why 500k was too rich for them

If McKay was half as good as some make him out,why didn't any other club apart from Forrest show any remote interest.He wanted out and his attitude was f ucking stinking and made it very easy for Rangers to bin him.

So your argument is that lots of clubs were interested in him till they saw the way Pedro treated him then they decided not to bid?
Who were these clubs and how much were they going to bid before they changed their mind?
Most likely scenario to me is only Warburton was ever interested and he tapped him before or shortly after leaving

At no point have I said hes shite only that there was only one club interested in him.
If you know of others then lets hear who they are and why 500k was too rich for them
Ffsake mate.
How dare you call it as it is!

Surely the fantasy generated by the naive on here should be respected over hard facts and crude reality?

An agent causing mischief on behalf of a player who had no interest in pulling a blue shirt over his head, has to be given his due reverence.

No, I was saying that your argument about no other clubs being interested in him was some way reflective of his quality is utter pish. As I said, how many clubs wanted Morelos?

We have no idea what happened when Caixinha came in

Ffsake mate.
How dare you call it as it is!

Surely the fantasy generated by the naive on here should be respected over hard facts and crude reality?

An agent causing mischief on behalf of a player who had no interest in pulling a blue shirt over his head, has to be given his due reverence.

Quite ironic you talk about "hard facts" and then come away with speculation like the emboldened part

Quite ironic you talk about "hard facts" and then come away with speculation like the emboldened part

What is the speculation, where is the evidence that contradicts this fact?

Only a stupid person would be unable to discern the truth that Mackay had already decided that his own future lay away from Ibrox and that he had most probably agreed to follow Warburton if and when the opportunity arose.
Regardless of the player's own body language on and off the park, it would be a fool who made a case that in Mackay we had a player committed to a life at Ibrox and who sought in any way whatsoever to make that happen.

I don't think there has been many harder facts than that Mackay had little or no interest in chasing down a career at Ibrox.
I am surprised, that this is indeed a surprise to you!!!

Back