Andy King on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets see - I will trust the team's judgement on this. Let's keep on improving Rangers - it can only help us on the journey to #55.

Really impressed with the investment put into the squad and the real quality. Players I thought weren’t up to scratch like jones have really come to fore also. Ojo also showed signs at the weekend of getting more into a rhythm.

Ok. That’s me up to speed.

Truthfully, never know as much about potential signings as some on here and as maybe I should. Now, done a bit of reading and research and I’m in.

This is exactly the sort of midfield goal threat we’ve been missing. So, if he’s getting over the injury he suffered in that freak accident with his own keeper at Derby, King could prove to be an inspired bit of a leftfield, out the blue signing.

Lastly, I didn’t doubt you, OP. It was such a random and unexpected OP, that it just had that look of being right :D. Well done @SLF23 for a ballsy first ever post :))

Doc is 4th choice for one of 2 places in competition with Davis, Jack and Kamara. He’ll get gametime.

King is second choice to Aribo as a midfielder likely to support the attack and score, something none of the others do.

McCrorie would have been in the mix with the 4 and probably 4th or 5th choice. He needs regular games to develop, like Doc got last year. Sending him on loan is about developing him to be even better in future, not a comment on where he is ranked in the ‘bench’ positions.

It’s about the squad, not the starting 11
I thought it seemed a bit daft earlier that we were signing another centre mid, but the way you've put that has convinced me it would be a decent signing. I suppose the way to look at it would be that we are short on competition for Aribo's role.

Hi all,

First time poster but I thought I’d share some news.

A good friend of mine is best mates with Andy King and it’s a done deal to Rangers on loan, he’s in Manchester having a medical now.

He hasn’t been named in Leicester’s squad and wants to play football. He was supposed to go to Hibs but apparently we wanted him.

Good addition to the squad!

Seb

Well done dude good 1st post you anymore m8s in the know ;)

Greg Stewart,..

If SG is adamant about 2 for every position it suggests someone that plays at FB is for the off (Barasic or Polster?) as well as Murphy and maybe Hastie. Dorrans , Holt and Dodoo we know about. Anyone I’m missing?

Mcgregor
Foderingham

Tavernier
Polster

Goldson
Katic
Edmunson
Helander

Barasic
Halliday
Flannigan

Davis
Jack
Aribo
Kamara
Docherty
King

Ojo
Arfield
Hastie
Morelos
Defoe
Jones
Barker
Murphy

If the guy does well then fair enough but it does seem on the face of it that we could get through all but an extended injury crisis with Arfield/Polster/Halliday helping in there. If it gets us 55 I don’t care too much about idealist dreams of lean hungry squads.

Or manager seems to be of the opinion that you can't have too many centre backs or midfielders.

But, if he thinks King would help the team - then who am I to argue.

King is a good player with vast Premier league experience. I was looking forward to seeing him at Derby last season but he picked up a bad injury after only a few games. Another quality coup from the gaffer.

Really feel for Docherty here and am wondering what kind of message this sends to some of our young centre mids (like McCrorie for example).

"Go on loan and improve". Could Docherty have done more to deserve a chance really?

If King signs then he'll see hardly any game time I would imagine with King and Kamara ahead of him.
No room for sentiment.

King is a big upgrade on Docherty.

No room for sentiment.

King is a big upgrade on Docherty.

I get that. I get the "we have to win the league NOW" thinking. But I feel that we should always be planning for the season after this one, and the one after that etc.

I, admittedly, don't know much about King except his impressive pedigree. If people feel he can make the difference then fair enough.

Evening FF!

Appreciate all the responses :)

Understand the doubters early on as it was my first post but I've been a long time lurker and when my pal told me this morning, it seemed like the right thing to do.

All we want is 55 and for us to achieve that, we need strength and experience in our squad and Kingy will give us just that. A player like him will never be a negative addition to our club. I also admire the fact that he could of sat back, not played at Leicester and still been paid 40k a week but instead he's making the move to Glasgow and playing for the biggest club in the world!

Buzzing.

Seb

P.S. I'm on the new series of Take Me Out, which airs this Autumn. I'm on episode 5 and I come down the lift to a song I'm sure everyone on here will appreciate ;)

I get that. I get the "we have to win the league NOW" thinking. But I feel that we should always be planning for the season after this one, and the one after that etc.

I, admittedly, don't know much about King except his impressive pedigree. If people feel he can make the difference then fair enough.
We absolutely have to be forward planning, unfortunately I don’t think Doc has a long term future with us.
Hope he proves me wrong.

Evening FF!

Understand the doubters early on as it was my first post but I've been a long time lurker and when my pal told me this morning, it seemed like the right thing to do.

All we want is 55 and for us to achieve that, we need strength and experience in our squad and Kingy will give us just that. A player like him will never be a negative addition to our club. I also admire the fact that he could of sat back, not played at Leicester and still been paid 40k a week but instead he's making the move to Glasgow and playing for the biggest club in the world!

Buzzing.

Seb

P.S. I'm on the new series of Take Me Out, which airs this Autumn. I'm on episode 5 and I come down the lift to a song I'm sure everyone on here will appreciate ;)

All the best Sebastian.

Evening FF!

Buzzing.

Seb

That programme is bad aids but we’ll all tune in for you. :)

Evening FF!

Buzzing.

Seb

That last paragraph has me buckled for some reason:)):))

Evening FF!

Buzzing.

Seb

Well done mate, great to see such a good positive post.

I expect Dorrans, Holt & Grezda will leave in the next week. Possibly Dodoo too. A work colleague was told Dorrans is cutting a deal today.

Don’t we ever sell anyone? Lafferty now Dorrans probably Holt and Dodoo! Why free money to these guys can’t we sell them even for a few grand?

We absolutely have to be forward planning, unfortunately I don’t think Doc has a long term future with us.
Hope he proves me wrong.

The optimist inside me thinks that Kamara, Jack, McCrorie and Docherty could be our mainstays for years to come.

The realist inside me thinks Arfield and Davis are reaching the tail end of their careers (although Arfield IS only 30 tbf).

The pessimist inside me then thinks even if King comes in and is great what could potentially happen to our midfield is that Davis would be gone, King's loan would be done and Aribo will be pinched by an EPL club.

With that in mind i'll always have a soft spot for young, Scottish players that we can develop and will be here for a while.

Happy with this signing, a proven goalscoring International midfielder, do for me.
It gives Gerrard more depth and quality in the squad and completes the two players for each position in midfield he was looking for.
Was reading King was a very good influence in the dressing room so he's in keeping with the type of player Gerrard likes.

King is a good player with vast Premier league experience. I was looking forward to seeing him at Derby last season but he picked up a bad injury after only a few games. Another quality coup from the gaffer.
Agree, technically he's a decent footballer plus the main positive for me is that he was part of Leicester's squad and that experience could be invaluable this season

Evening FF!

Buzzing.

Seb

Did you get your hole?

If Docherty was a bit better maybe the gaffer wouldn’t feel the need for King.

I’ll go with gaffer on this one. No time for sentiment.

Reactions: VGM
Only remember seeing him a few times, but have an Arfield feel about him.

Goals and late runs, with nice link up play.

Don’t we ever sell anyone? Lafferty now Dorrans probably Holt and Dodoo! Why free money to these guys can’t we sell them even for a few grand?
Because people have to want them for a start and then they have to try and match wages which won't be easy can't understand why people can't grasp that on here. If its cheaper to cut a deal then having them sitting about picking up a wage the club are doing the right thing

Just realised that he is in the last year of his contract not a bad move to loan him and see what he can give to the team before maybe offering a permanent deal for a couple of years if he does the business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back