Union Bears Have Two Choices – Lead Or Die

The ball lies in the Club's court as it has since day one. Unfortunately you can see where they have led us off the park.
It's not the club bosses that have been reported singing has it?

It's their stadium and they can let in who they want, as I said the UB have two choices one I would recommend the other I wouldn't.

The club should open dialogue with them but they really don't have to other than tell them why their section was the one that was closed and give them a final warning. It's the UBs thats walking a tight rope not the club, if the club wishes they can see the end to the UB section and if they choose the option the OP and many others suggest they don't that is a real possibility.

Comes with the territory of sitting there. It was BF1 that the song was reported to originate from. Not UB. That's why BF1 is closed.
So i miss the game even though i haven't done anything wrong because i sit where the club told me?
I dont get relocated just told they dont want my money, quick enough to take it in the past

I’m sorry but it’s a complete joke how this is being blamed on the UB, it’s embarrassing that ‘fans’ are taking the morale high ground and are pointing the finger at ‘daft wee boys’ as they are well known on here.

I’ve been a member of UB and they know fine well what songs they should be singing etc, they are recorded by the police for 90 mins home and away, surely they’re would be arrests by now if they were caught singing billy boys/ FTP etc?

They can’t stop a few idiots in BF1 starting other songs and eventually it will spread to the full BF and eventually the stadium.

I do agree however that they could assist the club with stamping out the bigotry, however, the club have hung them out to dry here by closing BF1 and giving them the blame, don’t be surprised if they decide on withdrawing their vocal support, wouldn’t blame them at all, the rest of the support reckon Ibrox will cope without them, batter in, lets see how long that will last.

The bigotry is a club problem, TBB etc is sung by the full of Ibrox on European nights/ Old Firms and Away games, pointing the finger at them because of this is like being wains again when you used to blame your big brother if you got into trouble off yer maw by saying ‘he started it’.

So i miss the game even though i haven't done anything wrong because i sit where the club told me?
I dont get relocated just told they dont want my money, quick enough to take it in the past

They had to close some of the ground. This isnt the club's fault its the fans, BF1 was where the song was reported to have originated so where do you suggest they close?

I thought those that were relocated to BF1 were being relocated again?

The Union Bears are the heartbeat of Ibrox. I'd love them to lead the new generation of Rangers songs.

The better the fans are, the more the club thrives, the more successful we are.

It's a joint effort. We're all in this together.

In the interests of transparency and to avoid being hypocritical, so have I, mate.
To generalise, we've all sung them in the past.

I don't, however, do anything that would damage the club, and haven't done so for many a year.

This is a line in the sand moment for us as a support.
What's done is done – what's now important is how we move on from the past.

As I’ve posted elsewhere much of this is a result of the utterly stupid and pointless dignified silence routine from various Rangers boards. However we are where we are so I completely agree with you. However the club has to now raise the points about other clubs behaviour not just the scum but all other clubs and seek clarification from UEFA as to why us only and not ‘them’.

I should of read the full OP, somehow I managed to miss some outrageous stuff in it.

actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway”. Jesus.

The pathetic finger pointing at the easy targets is unreal. But not suprised, its what we do best. Stick the knife in to our own.

The full stadium sing these songs, but you wouldn’t be surprised if the board “disbanded” the UB. To be fair to the OP, its the type of weasly move we have come to expect from Stewarty boy, but could never happen. Split them up & kill the Ibrox atmosphere forever? Maybe.

You don’t think the club would ban the Union Bears?

I certainly hope it doesn’t come to this, but you might be in for a surprise.

As things stand, I'm of the opinion that the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.

I think that the only way back for them would be if they were to work hand in hand with the club and lead the efforts to promote non-offensive songs at Ibrox and at away games.

Now, it's not for me to tell this group what to do as I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

Just like they do with the offensive songs the Union Bears start, the rest of the ground would follow the Union Bears' lead if they started singing only acceptable songs.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway – that's why it is, for me, imperative that the fans' group seize the initiative here to 1) lead the efforts to promote acceptable singing and 2) safeguard the future of their group and improve their relationship with the club.

Sadly, however, I think the Union Bears will take the huff again and have their silent protests etc, particularly with their section being singled out by the club over recent events with the UEFA charges.

So, instead of the fans' group – and the club – being proactive, I think that, one way or another, the Union Bears are finished.

I truly hope it doesn't come to this because there is much to admire about the Union Bears, but they need to accept criticism when it's merited – which it most definitely is in this case.
Are they collectively mature enough to recognise this, though?

I'd like to think we all – the club, the Union Bears, and the wider support – want the same thing: an
Ibrox with the world-renowned atmosphere that we're known for across the globe, but an Ibrox with a support who no longer sings the songs that will eventually lead us to being banned from Europe completely.

And, make no mistake, we will be banned from Europe if this continues.

Steven Gerrard will walk if that happens.
There's no way our manager will want to be at a Rangers who are banned from Europe – and there's no way he'll want his brand associated with a club who are banned from Europe because of what is deemed to be racist behaviour.

This would give Celtic a free run at the Champions League and effectively render us unable to meaningfully compete.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.
It is a stark fact that we will be kicked out of Europe if we don't change as a support.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of posters on this board who are members of the Union Bears, and, of course, also hear from posters who aren't members of the group.
Blaming UBs for the reintroduction of TBB is absolute bullshit, they simply went with the herd when following 2012 it crept back in in the wider supports song sheet.

They are been made an easy scapegoat here, but it's something they probably just have to take on the chin unfortunately just as we the Rangers support have to suck up the lack of parity we get from FARE and UEFA.

Good post UB can only go in the huff, if the club don’t close BF1 for the season.
I wish the UB would get it into their heads a lot of bears do
The Union Bears are the heartbeat of Ibrox. I'd love them to lead the new generation of Rangers songs.

The better the fans are, the more the club thrives, the more successful we are.

It's a joint effort. We're all in this together.
No way are they the heartbeat of Ibrox bollocks

Blaming UBs for the reintroduction of TBB is absolute bullshit, they simply went with the herd when following 2012 it crept back in in the wider supports song sheet.

They are been made an easy scapegoat here, but it's something they probably just have to take on the chin unfortunately just as we the Rangers support have to suck up the lack of parity we get from FARE and UEFA.

Correct, the castigating and singling out of the Union Bears on here is f**king shameful. Instead of accepting it as a support wide issue they point fingers at the easiest target.

Disgusting.

No one in particular to blame, the whole support have become complacent and together we must move forward.

Okay then.

The Billy Boys is one of the only songs that gets sung stadium wide, the full support are responsible for it and not just the Union Bears.

Your blaming and singling out of the UB is shocking, it's a support wide issue and I'm sure you and I have sang this song on many an occasion. Accept the responsibility along with the rest of the support and stop looking for someone to blame.

I’m not looking for anyone to blame.

I’m looking for solutions and I believe that my suggestion that the Union Bears should be proactive on this issue could end up being their finest hour.

I’ve not even mentioned The Billy Boys, far less blame the reintroduction on the Union Bears.

The UBs staged a silent protest last year against Aberdeen about a standing section or something.

The first song they sang in the 2nd half was about the UVF, exactly what the club dont want to be associated with.

What makes you think they will be mature this time?

Come across as silly little boys every time.

Just a thought but I think it would be a great shame to lose a rousing anthem like TBB. How about changing the lyrics to “we’re up to our knees in Celtics fleas”. Do a mass leaflet handout at the entrance to the stadium at the old firm game. One side of leaflet explaining the importance of not singing the offending part and on the other side the full song with new lyrics. Get it sung at a certain point of the match and stick two fingers up at the haters to make the point it’s our song and it won’t be dropped. It would still be taking the piss out of the unclean scum and not a thing anyone can do. Up to our knees in celtics fleas would be noticeably different from 19th Century Terrorist blood so no mistaking when it comes over on tv or stadium. New lyrics would hopefully catch on after a while.

I’m not looking for anyone to blame.

I’m looking for solutions and I believe that my suggestion that the Union Bears should be proactive on this issue could end up being their finest hour.

Someone stuck in a video of the support at Killie where the UB tried to start Every Saturday we Follow but the wider support sang TBB. How can they be proactive then?

Accept it as a support wide problem and not one group.

So as long as you don't get reported it is OK to blame it on the UB? What happens if some tadger runs on the pitch from Govan Front. Do we shut that section because he
Cd7 aswell.
I’d imagine the club chose that to make up the 3000?

Someone stuck in a video of the support at Killie where they tried to start Every Saturday we Follow but the wider support sang TBB. How can they be proactive then?

Accept it as a support wide problem and not one group.

I do.

I’m saying that the Union Bears, however, due to their size and influence can be proactive and lead by example.
You could consider that view to be a compliment.

You’re coming across very defensively and appear to more concerned about the Union Bears being unfairly treated than you are looking for about finding a solution to our problem singing.

Maybe the club have already made that decision?
It wouldn’t be hard to start a new singing section next season under a completely new banner with safe standing to boot.

Last edited:
I remember the days it was on ICF fault for everything wrong seems like we have a new whipping boys! Those calling them bams and meds go forth and multiple yourself. I sit at the opposite side of the ground and there is as many that slip out the BB, we all need to stand together or there is no chance moving forward

Maybe club have already made that decision?

Maybe they have.

I think that it’s absolutely imperative that we hear from the club as soon as possible and that we are provided with as much information as possible.

As much as my OP says the Union Bears should be proactive on this issue – the club also has a huge responsibility to engage with the support as fully as they can.

The first rule of the unions bears - don’t criticise the union bears.
Everyone needs to shoulder responsibilities. We’ve all done it and we’ve ended up here, supposedly we were reported for games last season too in which the whole stadium was singing TBB.

Blaming one group helps nobody. We all need to work hard to stop the songs that have landed us here

The club won't sit back on this. A lot of time and money has went into their campaign to welcome everyone at Ibrox. To have worldwide press a few weeks later report that were being punished for racism is two steps back.

I'd suggest UB take positive action and make a stand that they will focus their songs on Rangers exclusively. Not that they are the sole problem but if they want to lead the support then it's the way to do it.

Songbooks handed out every seat, those lyrics or songs that are not acceptable should be left out them.

I realise this would be costly but would give the younger fans who don’t know some of the songs that rarely get sung to learn them.

Whatever happened to ‘oh the bluebells are blue’ ? Not heard that in ages

I do.

I’m saying that the Union Bears, however, due to their size and influence can be proactive and lead by example.
You could consider that view to be a compliment.

You’re coming across very defensively and appear to more concerned about the Union Bears being unfairly treated than you are looking for about finding a solution to our problem singing.

In my last post I stated the song was sung at Killie, the UB tried to start ESWF but the wider support starting belting out TBB. How can they lead by example and be proactive then?

My point stands, everyone has to accept responsibility. Pointing the finger at the UB doesn't help anyone, they're ultimately as guilty as the rest of us.

In my last post I stated the song was sung at Killie, the UB tried to start ESWF but the wider support starting belting out TBB. How can they lead by example and be proactive then?

My point stands, everyone has to accept responsibility. Pointing the finger at the UB doesn't help anyone, they're ultimately as guilty as the rest of us.
Exactly everyone of the match going support has a responsibility and guilt attached to us.

You don’t think the club would ban the Union Bears?

I certainly hope it doesn’t come to this, but you might be in for a surprise.
It wouldn’t suprise me, like I said. Its the sort of snivelling wee weasel move Robertson would like to make. Make his life a lot easier.

Would it stop the songs though? Nope.

I actually remember that at Killie away.

For years you’ve had folk complaining UB don’t sing enough loyalist/culture songs (even though it wasnt true), and you also get folk moaning that they sing over the top of people.

Now we’ve got everyone lambasting them calling on them to sing over the top of people and stop cultural songs. :D

Flip, flop.

It wouldn’t suprise me, like I said. Its the sort of snivelling wee weasel move Robertson would like to make. Make his life a lot easier.

I’d imagine this is way beyond Robertson’s remit.

This has to be King/Park level.

This is a huge issue for us with potentially catastrophic ramifications if we do not heed yesterday’s warning.

I’d imagine this is way beyond Robertson’s remit.

This has to be King/Park level.

This is a huge issue for us with potentially catastrophic ramifications if we do not heed yesterday’s warning.
Indeed, and banning UBs solve none of the issues.

Songbooks handed out every seat, those lyrics or songs that are not acceptable should be left out them.

I realise this would be costly but would give the younger fans who don’t know some of the songs that rarely get sung to learn them.

Whatever happened to ‘oh the bluebells are blue’ ? Not heard that in ages
I like the idea of the club officially endorsing what should be sung. To me, the club being proactive makes it harder for the likes of UEFA to take issue.

I suggested on another thread that club produces a positive solution regarding what was TBB/Marching Through Georgia.

"Marching Through Georgia" is a great tune. It should be eminently possible for fans groups to agree on lyrics which could be officially endorsed and approved, beginning with "Hello Hello! We are the Rangers Boys."

This official version could be published in the programme regularly/put on the screens and the fans encouraged to sing the new version word for word. The usual warnings would apply to anyone singing unacceptable words.

This worked for "Sloop John B"/"Four Lads Had a Dream" and it's one of our best new songs.

The songs have to stop immediately now. Could anyone who goes along to the Legia game on Thursday, fully aware of the ramifications of singing these songs and then belts them out, could they really call themself a supporter?

I like the idea of the club officially endorsing what should be sung. To me, the club being proactive makes it harder for the likes of UEFA to take issue.

I suggested on another thread that club produces a positive solution regarding what was TBB/Marching Through Georgia.

"Marching Through Georgia" is a great tune. It should be eminently possible for fans groups to agree on lyrics which could be officially endorsed and approved, beginning with "Hello Hello! We are the Rangers Boys."

This official version could be published in the programme regularly/put on the screens and the fans encouraged to sing the new version word for word. The usual warnings would apply to anyone singing unacceptable words.

This worked for "Sloop John B"/"Four Lads Had a Dream" and it's one of our best new songs.

Personally I don’t know how we could try to put this idea across though.

Would be good for the club to be more interactive with the fans

I actually remember that at Killie away.

For years you’ve had folk complaining UB don’t sing enough loyalist/culture songs (even though it wasnt true), and you also get folk moaning that they sing over the top of people.

Now we’ve got everyone lambasting them calling on them to sing over the top of people and stop cultural songs. :D

Flip, flop.

I know, can't make it up at times. Imagine being in the UB and trying to keep up with what they should and shouldn't do according to some on here....would give paracetamol a sore heid.

Back