Abd so it starts. Call to remove 'tangerine' kit

SPRINGBOKS

Official Ticketer
Only a matter of time until we have nothing left as a club.
From the Daily Record

Derek Ferguson and Michael Stewart in Rangers on-air ding-dong as pair clash over orange strips
Ferguson and fellow BBC pundit Billy Dodds backed their former side but Stewart claims the Ibrox side can do more in the wake of their UEFA sectarian hammer blow.

ByGraeme Young
15:26, 24 AUG 2019UPDATED15:33, 24 AUG 2019

Derek Ferguson has labelled Michael Stewart "petty" after the pair were involved in a fierce debate over Rangers' role in sectarian chanting at Ibrox.

Ferguson and fellow BBC pundit Billy Dodds backed their former side over their full and frank reaction in the wake of UEFA's partial stadium closure for offensive singing within Ibrox.

At least 3000 supporters will miss Thursday's Europa League clash with Legia Warsaw on Thursday but Stewart reckons the club can do more and reckons binning orange strips is a must.

The club, Steven Gerrard and Dave King all delivered strong messages on Friday but the debate continues to rumble on.

The Ibrox side wore a 'tangerine' away kit last season but the former Hibs and Hearts midfielder reckons potential religious connotations means the colour should be scrapped.

Rangers previously had an orange kit in 2002/03 when the club was jam-packed with Dutch stars like Arthur Numan and Ronald De Boer.

But Stewart claims he isn't buying an ode to former players as the reason for the club choosing that look in recent seasons.

He told Sportsound : "Can you not recognise the connotations that has when there isn't a single Dutch player at the club.

"If you talk about what more the club can then not putting out orange strips, I don't think anyone would say why aren't we respecting our Dutch players that were here a generation ago.

"Clearly that doesn't help the situation.

"To say it's purely down to the Dutch players, even if you take that at face value. What benefit is that having to the whole debate?

But Derek Ferguson had heard enough.

He responded: "I think it's petty what you've come up with.

"In my opinion it's petty and I think orange strips were in respect to the Dutch players.

"Rangers are a family, we don't forget, and I absolutely love getting together with the Dutch boys during legends games.

But Stewart interjected: "Do you see the connotation that has now?"

BBC pundit Michael Stewart
(Image: BT Sport)
Ferguson bit back: "It's a marketing ploy by Rangers and it's in respect of the Dutch boys - that's what I think.

"That (religious connotation) never even crossed my mind, there you go."

But Stewart kept going and probed further: "Do you not think that crosses the mind of a section of the club's supporters?

Ferguson replied: "I don't know, I cannot read minds."

Stewart doubled down on his point after Billy Dodds interjected.

He added: "Clubs can wear whatever colour they want, you guys are making the suggestion, that the clubs are doing everything they can and I am countering that by saying 'no they are not'."

Perfect example. The singing stops, we move on to the color of the shirts. We dump the orange shirt then we'll be told the blue reminds him of how we used to have an orange shirt.
Then on to the Union Jack and it never ends.
The whole thing is a sham.

What a horrible little lady's front bottom he is. Straight on the bandwagon. Derek Ferguson should have just planted the fucker

Perfect example. The singing stops, we move on to the color of the shirts. We dump the orange shirt then we'll be told the blue reminds him of how we used to have an orange shirt.
Then on to the Union Jack and it never ends.
The whole thing is a sham.

How is it the perfect example?

The guy who is against the orange shirts is outnumbered 2 to 1 on BBC Sportsound of all places.

I think it might be a while before we have UEFA saying "you aren't allowed to have an orange jersey".

Either way the singing has to stop. Unless UEFA are going to do a backtrack and say "actually that word we classified as racist 8 years ago is no longer racist".

The guy who is against the orange shirts is outnumbered 2 to 1 on BBC Sportsound of all places.

I think it might be a while before we have UEFA saying "you aren't allowed to have an orange jersey".

Either way the singing has to stop. Unless UEFA are going to do a backtrack and say "actually that word we classified as racist 8 years ago is no longer racist".

UEFA are fat old bureaucrats in Switzerland who are told what is or isn't deemed offensive by FARE, an organisation that has a proven track record of a vendetta against our club.

That is absolutely pathetic. Rangers fans like orange strips for whatever reason. They look good and they sell. Implying (basically saying) a football top is sectarian is totally nuts. No football top ever did any sectarian harm as far as I’m aware. The club must not pay any attention to this in the future whatsoever.

Anyone who thinks dropping the offensive songs will stop these cunts coming after us is deluded.
They will chase us for everything they can while ignoring every other club.

So what's your answer? Keep singing, keep taking the fines, keep taking the stadium closure. Sounds like a plan.

We clean up our act and we are in a position to highlight what's going on and fight back. Until then anything we say or do will be dismissed as sour grapes and whataboutery. The offending songs have no place at Ibrox in this day and age. Simple as that really.

Anyone who thinks dropping the offensive songs will stop these cunts coming after us is deluded.
They will chase us for everything they can while ignoring every other club.

Right, but do you seriously imagine the SFA, SPFL or UEFA or whoever actually being able to say "Rangers Football Club are not allowed to have an orange jersey"?

They won't ever stop coming after us, sure, but coming after us over an orange jersey makes them look like complete morons.

Coming after us over songs that UEFA told us not to sing almost a decade ago, words that UEFA have punished other clubs for using (Ajax), is a very different thing.

From wikipedia:
"Presented as a gift in 1848 to Thomas Francis Meagher from a small group of French women sympathetic to the Irish cause,[3][4] it was intended to symbolise the inclusion and hoped-for union between Roman Catholics and Protestants, the significance of the colours outlined by Meagher was, "The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between Orange and Green and I trust that beneath its folds the hands of Irish Protestants and Irish Catholics may be clasped in generous and heroic brotherhood.""

Both celtic and hibs strips pay homage to their Irish roots yet strangely there is no orange anywhere to be seen????
What say you Michael? Why is that? Why is it even referred to as green, white and gold without question?

Naw. Not interested? Aye right ye are. Just what I thought.

I happen to like Orange and especially with Blue, it's also a connection to the Dutch players but that's not why I buy them.
I also buy the red ones does that relate to up to your knees in whatever? I buy all the away ones if I like them and that's it, and also Fernando, how many of us bought his orange shirt was it sectarian or to have other connotations, FFsake these guys need to get a life, paranoia was obviously one of the main subjects in the apartheid schools cos there's a lot of them excelling in that very subject.

I have no time whatsoever for Michael Stewart but we’re kidding ourselves on if we think the orange strips weren’t marketing ploys by the club. Tribute to Dutch players? Sure...

It doesn’t really have an awful lot to do with the current debate though. We can still have orange strips and celebrate Protestantism without resorting to singing about 19th Century Terrorists or FTP. Not for me and shouldn’t have anything to do with Rangers but I understand many fans think differently, and there’s no harm in that.

Lol they will never be able to ban an orange kit. Just people trying to dig and put the boot because anything and everything to do with rangers in amplified 10 fold.

Michael Stewart is a Rangers hating Nationalist big mouth nobody.
We will put our house in order but we must never pander to slime like him.

So Dundee HIVs need to ditch their strip? Religious connotations, don't you know.

I'm not given to strong language, but that wee dickhead can ram his 'punditry' right up his arse.

It's a perfect example because Stewart's thinking mirrors what is going on. I'd say that's a perfect example of a perfect example.
Because he's "outnumbered" 2-1 on Sportsound the orange shirt thing will now be dropped? That's the standard now? If he's also defeated on Twitter we've won?
With Stewart ridiculed on Sportsound about the orange shirt, a sane world would now drop the issue. But there are lines and lines of "journalists" waiting to pick up the baton and run. Today is not the last you'll hear about this.
No, UEFA will not back track. They never have. They have never been wrong. Much like the closer to home SPFL.
Drop TBB and see where we go next. The song list being depleted further, the list of unacceptable colors growing and the social lives of Rangers fans becoming the subject of media articles. All of this going on while at the other end of the city we have a club that is quite open about it's love of "rebel" history, ongoing terrorism, death of Brits and ignorance of child molestation.
This is not about songs.

Back