Celtic not getting ‘their’ officials in Europe

I like a bet on yellow and red cards and they're not interesting stats unless you clarify the total points total or style of team of the club involved.

It's a general rule but teams who keep the ball, go into the lead and win games tend to ensure that the opponents end up committing more fouls against them - that's one of the reasons, @Kirbys House that the fairplay table in 2016-17 doesn't mean an awful lot in isolation unless you acknowledge Celtic's unusually high points total and the fact that they went the season unbeaten.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like Kevin Pullein in the Racing Post on a Saturday. If there was a bet for Celtic to get more bookings in Europe than they do in Scotland I'd take it. What'll happen this weekend is that they'll have most of the ball against Killie, who'll have to commit fouls to take it off them and chase the game because they'll probably take 3 or 4 off them and people will get upset when Killie end up with more points bookings.

That'd be a fair point, but the issue in Scotland is that Celtic are allowed to commit more fouls than any other team before they're cautioned. If they were giving away far less fouls then the lack of cards would be understandable. But for them to have 14 less cards than the next team is a joke.

Last 5 European games for them and us:

Celtic ... 59 fouls conceded: 15 yellow / 1 red (3.6 fouls per card on average)
Rangers ... 59 fouls concede: 17 yellow (3.4 fouls per card)

Our fouls conceded are exactly the same and as expected our cards per foul is averaging around the same. Both teams being officiated to similar standards it seems.

Now let’s look at the last 5 SPFL games:

Celtic ... 51 fouls conceded: 2 yellow (25.5 fouls per card)
Rangers ... 68 fouls conceded: 7 yellow / 1 red (8.5 fouls per card)

Celtic are unique, rooted to the bottom of the disciplinary table - and out on their own in the SPFL with these averages. For example look at Kilmarnock who have the closest foul count next to Celtic with just 2 more fouls conceded:

Kilmarnock ... 53 fouls conceded: 10 yellow (5.3 fouls per card)

This has been going on since we came back up. The stats don’t make sense as they should average out by and large - like they do in Europe. Either this is corrupt, or Celtic foul differently - and then they must foul differently again in Europe.

Considering the long-term pattern, and the blatant avoidance of Madden to dish out two yellows to McGregor in the game vs them, the avoidance of booking them for repeated fouls - well I’m going for corruption.
This should get shared far and wide!

GoOd stats and only goes to show that refs are letting them with murder here. Last night brown was booked and free kick given for dangerous challenge yet in Scotland he would have got away with it.

When beliefs are proven by facts it always upset a few on here for some reason

Yep and the new french dumbele booked for diving too.

That'd be a fair point, but the issue in Scotland is that Celtic are allowed to commit more fouls than any other team before they're cautioned. If they were giving away far less fouls then the lack of cards would be understandable. But for them to have 14 less cards than the next team is a joke.
Exactly. And that's before we get to 11:1 ratio of being summoned by the compliance officer. Imagine for a second these card stats etc were the other way around? Nah. I can't either.

Our fouls conceded are exactly the same and as expected our cards per foul is averaging around the same. Both teams being officiated to similar standards it seems.

Celtic are unique, rooted to the bottom of the disciplinary table - and out on their own in the SPFL with these averages. For example look at Kilmarnock who have the closest foul count next to Celtic with just 2 more fouls conceded:

This has been going on since we came back up. The stats don’t make sense as they should average out by and large - like they do in Europe. Either this is corrupt, or Celtic foul differently - and then they must foul differently again in Europe.

Considering the long-term pattern, and the blatant avoidance of Madden to dish out two yellows to McGregor in the game vs them, the avoidance of booking them for repeated fouls - well I’m going for corruption.
I am totally convinced , it is not just us, any football man knows fine well , that if manager is happy with the ref he keeps his mouth shut, when did you last hear CFC complain since the ref strike, Celtic no longer complain about refs or linesman, why, they have no need to, and that is proof positive to me, that the officials in this country are both corrupt, and Cowards,
corrupt in the fact that yes it is much easier to give decisions for Celtic than it is Against them, Cowards because the actually know themselves it is going on and always go the path of least resistance, which is give the award to Celtic, that way you dont see your face splattered across the papers on Monday cause you were seen drinking a bottle of blue wicked on the Saturday, when they play in Europe it shows how disgracefully BENT our SFA is, they dont get away with a fraction of what they do in Scotland, , that is the reason that when they are in Europe, they never live up to expectations, and in my opinion Rangers have no problem adjusting to the refereeing standards in Europe, thats not too say we dont or wont gt iffy decisions in Europe,

Well researched. I don't believe that the scottish refs set out to be biased against us. However, I do believe that their decision making is swayed by the experience that decisons against Celtic are highlighted and debated for the next week, whereas any against us are ignored. Subconsciously, they are taking the easy route.

Well researched. I don't believe that the scottish refs set out to be biased against us. However, I do believe that their decision making is swayed by the experience that decisons against Celtic are highlighted and debated for the next week, whereas any against us are ignored. Subconsciously, they are taking the easy route.

This is it for me. The press and tv commentators are biased and they influence public opinion. Refs are well aware of what happens if they give a decision against Celtic or give one in favour of us. Ask John Beaton.

This set of graphics shows that as we have become more of a threat to their domination the disparity has become much greater. There is no doubt that Tim’s refereeing us or them have impunity to %^*& us over or indeed favour them as there is literally no comeback or sanction for them to so do.

Then if you add in refs who favour one of the diddy clubs such as Aberdeen, well we all know about just how pernicious their level hatred are towards us. Throw in those with nationalist leanings and you can see why we are refereed so differently to the rest. Not to mention the fact that we are up against it from Rangers supporting referees who can also %^*& us with impunity whilst being terrified of offending them.

It is not paranoia to suggest such, as the evidence in regards to its institution at the very core of our game is incontrovertible. My guess is it will be a lot worse this season, in fact haven’t we already witnessed it at work on sept 1st. What makes it even more difficult to overcome is the fact that some of our support maintain that had their best and most productive midfielder been sent off after half an hour that it would have made no difference given how poorly we played.

Yes we were poorly set up, but we still dominated the ball and limited them to next to nothing...Surely the loss of their best player had the potential to spark us into action, coupled with their requirement to reorganise, suddenly their ropey debutant defence has less protection.

Last edited:
Generally, we've awful and under-performed for a few seasons. We have failed to dominate teams like we should have and dropped many, many points to inferior opposition in games where we've lacked direction, shape and intelligence. Twice in the last three seasons we've finished behind Aberdeen!

Our stats are probably also skewed by players unfairly getting a reputation for being wrong 'uns: Jack and Morelos in particular.

Some lengths you'll go to in order to defend the indefensible.

There are 2 tiers of cowardice/corruption at play here, the more obvious direct helping hands they/or a team playing the hated Rangers get (penalties, early yellows for key Rangers players, 'offside decisions' etc).

Then there is the less obvious attrition, the 'judgement' referees exercise in awarding fouls and cards or not awarding them, this one is a bastard to combat as referees can balance things by showing a bheast a late meaningless yellow to say 'look I'm even handed, I've booked one of theirs too'. They can also use the letting the game flow card and a number of others.

The only way to combat both is to pressurise the club, high profile ex players (you watching Ally ?) to loudly question officials in the Scottish Republic, loudly and often

Hmm, interesting stats based on a low sample size that is probably explained through virtue of Celtic playing significantly better teams in Europe than they do in Scotland, hence they committ more fouls. Fairly straightforward.

I'd argue that the worst refereeing performances we had against us last year were in Europe. Games against Ufa, Moscow and Vienna were terrible.

The sample size in Scotland is running to around 5 seasons now - where we are playing the same quality. They are also playing the same quality by and large to us in Europe over those last 5 games and our averages are the same.

In Scotland however we are a different thing altogether. No other team will get near their average cards per foul ratio - no matter how long the sample size is - and we will be down the disciplinary table again beside teams like Motherwell. This happened also before Morelos arrived when Ryan Jack was the one collecting easy reds.

The sample size in Scotland is running to around 5 seasons now - where we are playing the same quality. They are also playing the same quality by and large to us in Europe over those last 5 games and our averages are the same.

In Scotland however we are a different thing altogether. No other team will get near their average cards per foul ratio - no matter how long the sample size is - and we will be down the disciplinary table again beside teams like Motherwell. This happened also before Morelos arrived when Ryan Jack was the one collecting easy reds.

These are good points, all of which I've addressed elsewhere in the thread.

However, the comparable sample size in Scotland only works for the three seasons since our return to the SPFL, and playing teams of the same quality is negated by the unfortunate gap in quality between them and us for much of that time.

Interestingly and naturally the stats are flipped the last time we won the league. We were the best team in Scotland at that time, a stat backed up by the fact that we were the second best disciplined team:

Celtic, on the other hand, were sixth.

Im pretty sure ref supporters or defenders told us before the season started, get a decent team on the park and that will mean an end to these sort of threads.

well we just beat a pretty good dutch team, not a great team but it was a fine performance by the players and also the manager/coaching staff. wee bit like watching the DA team.

there is absolutely nothing dignified about making excuses for people taking the piss out of you, its pathetic. hey mcfly hello hello anybody home.

make it clear we dont accept Celtic referees any longer, to ignore Thomson for 20 years was bad enough to accept Maddens behaviour is just completely reckless. Like Thomson, Bobby is now a bit of media celeb, one of the bhoys.

Say we want him sacked, sent to lower leagues for being biased, then we might get somewhere at the very least it forces the media to report on the subject.

Hmm, interesting stats based on a low sample size that is probably explained through virtue of Celtic playing significantly better teams in Europe than they do in Scotland, hence they committ more fouls. Fairly straightforward.

I'd argue that the worst refereeing performances we had against us last year were in Europe. Games against Ufa, Moscow and Vienna were terrible.
It doesn't stop them handing out 9 red cards to us and a shitload more yellows than the poets against "significantly" worse teams than in Europe.
Or the fact that the biggest thug in Scottish football got his one and only red card at the tail end of the season for over celebrating a goal.

I don't think your reason washes. A thug is a thug.

It doesn't stop them handing out 9 red cards to us and a shitload more yellows than the poets against "significantly" worse teams than in Europe.
Or the fact that the biggest thug in Scottish football got his one and only red card at the tail end of the season for over celebrating a goal.

And that was in the 92 minute after they had secured their win

'see we are not biased, we have booked Broony'

Fair enough. I think I've explained it fairly well and I think the flipped stats when were on top in Scottish football back it up as well. If you like a bet I'd probably advice you not to bet on yellow and red card counts, that's all.

I phoned Radio Clyde about this years ago. I cant remember when but Delahunt was on the show. Him and Keevins couldnt explain this rather strange phenomenon. Back then Celtic players were allowed to commit approximately twice as many fouls as all other SPL teams before getting booked.

Yep, and incredibly the stats are showing they are heading toward becoming even more untouchable in this league.

Fair enough. I think I've explained it fairly well and I think the flipped stats when were on top in Scottish football back it up as well. If you like a bet I'd probably advice you not to bet on yellow and red card counts, that's all.
I don't see how the stats flipping for one season proves that at all. You've picked the only season we had a better record than them since 2004. When we won 3IAR, they had the better record 2/3. This is not a coincidence, I'm afraid.

So why do Rangers get more bookings than some of the diddy teams then? I'm fairly sure our possession stats are similar to theirs, perhaps even more dominant.

A lot of our supporters live in denial when it comes to refereeing in this country. It is a huge problem.

Exactly! .... a few seasons back I remember Motherwell spent a season indulging in thuggery in just about every game - it was their style. Meanwhile a soft as shit rangers team somehow ended the season with a higher crime count than them. It was incredible.

No matter our league position or style of play we always seem to end up with a disciplinary count amongst the teams who are middle to bottom of the league and disciplinary count.

Before Morelos we had Jack leading the red card count after having no issues at Aberdeen.

I don't see how the stats flipping for one season proves that at all. You've picked the only season we had a better record than them since 2004. When we won 3IAR, they had the better record 2/3. This is not a coincidence, I'm afraid.

I'd need to back and have a closer look at those seasons in that case - good thing I wasn't betting on cards back then!

All I'd argue is that teams who enjoy more possession and are significantly better than their nearest rivals are more likely to have fewer bookings against them. When I have a bet on cards my heart sinks when I see that the team I've bet on have lost the game, because ideally you want them to have won and have been hanging on for the victory, committing more fouls in the process (last night for instance - we committed more fouls and yellow cards). Celtic have unfortunately been the best team in Scotland for the past three seasons and their yellow and red card count matches that. They're shite in Europe, have less of the ball and need to commit fouls to get it, hence they give away more fouls there.

Scottish refs are generally poor and intimidated by them - I'm not sure these stats tell the whole story, though.

I like a bet on yellow and red cards and they're not interesting stats unless you clarify the total points total or style of team of the club involved.

It's a general rule but teams who keep the ball, go into the lead and win games tend to ensure that the opponents end up committing more fouls against them - that's one of the reasons, @Kirbys House that the fairplay table in 2016-17 doesn't mean an awful lot in isolation unless you acknowledge Celtic's unusually high points total and the fact that they went the season unbeaten.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like Kevin Pullein in the Racing Post on a Saturday. If there was a bet for Celtic to get more bookings in Europe than they do in Scotland I'd take it. What'll happen this weekend is that they'll have most of the ball against Killie, who'll have to commit fouls to take it off them and chase the game because they'll probably take 3 or 4 off them and people will get upset when Killie end up with more points bookings.

That’s all good and I completely agree, but it doesn’t stand up when you compare it to Rangers, who share similar domination of games and time spent ahead of the game. Why do we seem light years away when it comes to cards and fouls/card?

I watched the first half of their game last night, Brown saw yellow for one of his trademark scissor challenges and had the audacity to cry about it. I thought atvthe time it's funny when you get a straight ref. 100% he would not have been booked in the league, infact I have seen the exact same tackle before and he wasn't booked. Ajer dodged a bullet not getting booked at the penalty as well which would have seen him sent off later. And as for the 25 million man's dive........just wow. Celtic get away with this shit unchallenged week in week out in Scotland.

Your work on Stats is first class, it should be taken up another level to Hamdunk, for their Attention that we are not that thick to see How Corrupt Liewells Cabal Are. Take a look at last Season How Many Times Should the Neanderthal Been Sent Off, by Corrupt Refs!

That’s all good and I completely agree, but it doesn’t stand up when you compare it to Rangers, who share similar domination of games and time spent ahead of the game. Why do we seem light years away when it comes to cards and fouls/card?

This year we have. Not for the past three seasons, though.

A bet?

I’ll bet my house we get more yellows and reds than the beasts.
Even if we win the league.

Mate, the difference in quality between the sides is negligible, the card count most definitely is not.

A bet?

I’ll bet my house we get more yellows and reds than the beasts.
Even if we win the league.

Mate, the difference in quality between the sides is negligible, the card count most definitely is not.

I would as well but the odds wouldn't accurately reflect the chances of it happening, sadly.

The difference in quality is getting smaller, but it hasn't been negligible for the past three seasons.

Great post Vince. 100% agree with you.

I would as well but the odds wouldn't accurately reflect the chances of it happening, sadly.

The difference in quality is getting smaller, but it hasn't been negligible for the past three seasons.
Mate, you are going out of your way to suggest referees are even handed and it’s all down to magnificent celtc’s superiority.

It’s really not how it works.
How else would you explain the second best club finishing bottom of the disciplinary table?

Let’s just wait until the season pans out.
I’ll eat Lennon’s rancid gum detritus if we top that particular league.

I'd need to back and have a closer look at those seasons in that case - good thing I wasn't betting on cards back then!

All I'd argue is that teams who enjoy more possession and are significantly better than their nearest rivals are more likely to have fewer bookings against them. When I have a bet on cards my heart sinks when I see that the team I've bet on have lost the game, because ideally you want them to have won and have been hanging on for the victory, committing more fouls in the process (last night for instance - we committed more fouls and yellow cards). Celtic have unfortunately been the best team in Scotland for the past three seasons and their yellow and red card count matches that. They're shite in Europe, have less of the ball and need to commit fouls to get it, hence they give away more fouls there.

Scottish refs are generally poor and intimidated by them - I'm not sure these stats tell the whole story, though.

It doesn't explain why they're allowed to foul more than other teams before receiving a booking though.

Good work mate, i have been banging on about this for ages with my mate, they are treated differently than everyone else, it is proven for me when they are in Europe, they have no influence with Euro refs, no intimidation etc,

The ref strike deliberately engineered in 2010 by the Timpanzees changed everything. They harassed, intimidated refs and often physically confronted them on a weekly basis. The refs wouldn't stand for it and complained to their bosses at the SFA, who refused to support them. Refs ever since just want a quiet life and act accordingly where that horrible club are concerned. Gangsterism has won.

This sums it up perfectly for me MM.

Eduoard booked for a disgusting dive and Christie should have been booked for the same.

It seems this is their new tactic now to dive, cheat , take extra yards at throw ins and just be complete kunts

They've always done it...every time they're tackled they go to ground , and immediately grab the ball..fooling our incompetent officials who are more than willing to award a foul..we have only been recently reminded by the 19th Century Terrorist army banner , stating "we are not just here to compete , we are here to take over " we can't allow this to happen , they have been 24/7 we must be the same
WATP not them

="Vince, post: 4376552, member: 7545"]

[/QUOTE] That's great information to have.

Would be better comparing over a longer time than 5 games if anyone can be bothered putting in the work.

Back