Candeias > Ojo

Ojo has provided more than Ryan Kent did after he came in the first time around.

He’s a young man that has been asked to come in as a first team starter, and he’s contributing.

I don’t think it’s a wild stretch to believe that Ojo can get better with us over time, as Kent did.

People writing him off already, despite what he’s contributed, and despite his obvious attributes are mental.

I really don't get it...i know we have some impatient crackpots in our support but i've seen some OTT comments from posters i thought would know better.

He's been nowhere near as bad as some are suggesting.

Candeias will be on the level of Laudrup by the time the seasons over. I think Ojo should at least improve given his age, but what you got from Candeias was as good as you were ever going to get. Candeias really struggled against packed defences too because pace was his biggest asset. And of course he thought he had a right to be a regular starter, which he didn’t so it was rightfully a case of ‘bye bye Daniel’.

I’d definitely like to see more from Ojo but I’d give him time given his age and relative lack of experience, the way he’s become the punch bag was so predictable and also a bit tragic really when you consider how early it is in the season.

Ojo in full flow with space in front of him is unplayable at times

He’s younger and and less experienced than Candeias

He’s also not as astute defensively as Candeias

He has time to learn

I’m happy with how things are

Totally agree. he's at that stage now where the honeymoon period has finished after signing for us and only now realising the demands that will be placed on him as a Rangers player.

Can you imagine coming here trying to find your feet but after only 2 months of the season you have 40 odd thousand fans on your back already?

Its easy for the OP and many other to come on here slating him but its a tough gig for these players and they deserve much more slack than they're getting.

Tav has nothing in front of him anymore, because Ojo has no football intelligence his positioning is awful. It’s even worse because he has no work rate. When tav moves forward nobody is covering.

He still has time to come good but for the most he’s been utter gash and has fucked the whole balance of the team.

Tbf mate, whoever plays right midfield now covers Tav, since the formation changed.

Normally it's Jack, but it was Arfield on Saturday.

Don't recall any defensive problems down our right side.

11 matches, four goals and three assists for Ojo. And another assist today if I'm not mistaken.

These are the same sort of stats that people used to say about Candeias too. One wanted to leave the other is young and has done not too bad so far.

Should he be doing more? Yes but that will come.

Wondering if opinion has changed at all?

Absolutely not. Aye Ojo scored a wonder goal tonight but he was hopeless for the rest of the game.

Barisic was exposed on several occasions because Ojo was shy in getting back. I don’t know if it’s just the way he looks during a game but he genuinely looks disinterested / lazy at times the way he just jogs about. Before he got subbed the crowd were on his back because he was just jogging about at his own pace.

Candeias usually performed well for us in Europe.

They are completely different kinds of players, Ojo's stats and end product will piss all over whatever Candeias could give us.

Yes, Candeias was an extremely hard working player, but I think we have enough of those in the team.

Ojo has a dig, he's direct. Extremely raw, and makes a lot of mistakes during every game, but nobody can say he offers nothing. He'll end up with 10 - 15 goals this season.

For a loan signing that's going to be a pretty decent return.

Cracking goal tonight but goal aside, he was pretty poor

Fails to track runners which left us exposed a good few times early in the game.

He hides quite a lot as well and makes himself unavailable for a pass.

Sooner we have Kent back fit, the better IMO.

Dearie me.

Listen to Gerrard’s post match comments about Ojo, “he makes the difference in the final 3rd”.

That’s the difference between him and Candeias.

OP dismisses stats but I’ll cite some stats anyway. Ojo has contributed to 9 goals in 12 games and its not even October yet.

He’s young and he definitely needs to work on certain aspects of his game, but the crucial difference between he and DC is that both are attacking players and Ojo has so far proved that he’s far more effective in the final 3rd.

Not to mention a huge match winning goal tonight for the team.

Finally, despite what I’ve just said the idea that we can say DC is better than Ojo after less than 2 months into the season is f*cking bonkers.

Last edited:
Cracking goal tonight but goal aside, he was pretty poor

Fails to track runners which left us exposed a good few times early in the game.

He hides quite a lot as well and makes himself unavailable for a pass.

Sooner we have Kent back fit, the better IMO.

You do realise without him we dont win that game tonight aye? So far in his Rangers career he looks a lot more likely to find the net than any of our other wingers (Kent included)

candies easier to watch because he worked hard and chased everything down. Ojo is infuriating at times but already getting more of an end product.

Unfortunately some of our fans a rather weird and bitter.

They shout their negative opinion from the roof toops when a player is playing bad/has a bad game. Not sure why, maybe it makes them feel better. Young players seem to be the easiest to pick on.

Once their decision is made, they are somehow unable to change it and will stick to it no matter what and no matter how unreasonable it is.

Ojo and Goldson seems to be prime candidates at the moment.

Ojo has just scored a match winning goal against a good European side and Goldson has just kept a clean sheet against them, yet there are still plenty of posts slating them.

It is embarrasing but I'm just glad I don't have to live my life with a cloud over my head and I kind of just pity these people.

Just an opinion but Candeias offered far more to us than Ojo does. People can cite stats all they want, but for the balance of the team Candeias definitely offered more. Tav looked far more comfortable having Candeias in front of him as well.
B*llock ojo is very inconsistent but he scores and assists.
Wish people stop bringing up candieas folk on here think he’s better than what he actually is.

You do realise without him we dont win that game tonight aye? So far in his Rangers career he looks a lot more likely to find the net than any of our other wingers (Kent included)

Easy to say but I could turn that round and say had Kent played then he’d likely have been more effective in running at their right back and possibly have created more chances

Regardless, I still stand by my post. I think Ojo is going to be a frustrating player for us that can chip in with a few goals

Easy to say but I could turn that round and say had Kent played then he’d likely have been more effective in running at their right back and possibly have created more chances

Regardless, I still stand by my post. I think Ojo is going to be a frustrating player for us that can chip in with a few goals
In other words ‘I am going to stubbornly refuse to admit my original post may have been a bit hasty and stick to my argument regardless of evidence pointing to it being bollocks......so there!’

They are two completely different players. Candeias was more of a right midfielder who worked hard but didn’t score often and rarely got into the box. Ojo is more of a forward who won’t do the work that Candeias done but will be more of a goal threat.

I think when Kent is fit Ojo could be an effective player to have coming off the bench.

Candeias had a far better work rate and gave Tav more protection and freedom to play hence Tavs poorer form recently imo. However Ojo clearly contributes more in the final third with goals and assists, somethjng we all wished for from Candeias. I'll take goals and assists over work rate any day. If Ojo's stats keep going the way they are this season there wont be an argument next summer. Ojo is raw, makes more mistakes, could improve his movement but hes still young.

Unfortunately some of our fans a rather weird and bitter.

They shout their negative opinion from the roof toops when a player is playing bad/has a bad game. Not sure why, maybe it makes them feel better. Young players seem to be the easiest to pick on.

Once their decision is made, they are somehow unable to change it and will stick to it no matter what and no matter how unreasonable it is.

Ojo and Goldson seems to be prime candidates at the moment.

Ojo has just scored a match winning goal against a good European side and Goldson has just kept a clean sheet against them, yet there are still plenty of posts slating them.

It is embarrasing but I'm just glad I don't have to live my life with a cloud over my head and I kind of just pity these people.

Are you suggesting that if a player scores a goal they are completely immune from criticism for the rest of their performance?

The candyman was here a lot longer than ojo, so he has more scope for criticism than sheyi ojo.

He did well for The RANGERS in most games he played especially his workrate against the micks, but ojo has just come into the team and the negative criticism is over the top In his case.

A better reflection on him would be at the end of the season.

Time tae gie players a chance by some on here and stop being so quick tae write them off.

If you ignore the fact that Candeias wanted to leave and judge it purely on their ability and impact in the team Candeias was a far better option.

Ojo is one of those types of players who will frustrate at times, you could see his own players last night having a go about working harder, closing down and getting up the park quicker

However, his stats at this stage are very very good!

Well good to see ojo getting a vote of confidence after winning us 3 points last night. Just as well he never missed a penalty.
As for tav,he shouldn't be relying on candeias regarding his form. Not buying that being the reason for keeping him at Ibrox. Tavs a big boy and shouldn't be depending on anyone else on the team,especially as captain.

I'm sorry but scoring a couple against part timers in the Europa League doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things...
[/QUOTE]
:)).

Couldn't resist it mate sorry! WATP

Ojo has a far higher ceiling than Candeias if he continues to learn the game and improve. Each to their own, but anyone who thinks otherwise should be sectioned.

I see Candeias has somehow morphed into Ronaldo since he's left.
Hard work yes but end product was very frustrating. We are no longer a team with outward wingers ie work a yard on the outside and whip a ball in from all angles.
Inverted wingers ie Ojo are more likely to beat a man on the inside and can unleash a shot or 2.

Ojo's stats so far for assists and goals are pretty impressive for being worse than Candieas and so when he really performs we have some exciting times ahead.

Absolute rocket last night and should have had another but that's the reason we have him as he's not the complete player yet.
He'll get better and better as the season progresses I think and be a big player for us.

If you ignore the fact that Candeias wanted to leave and judge it purely on their ability and impact in the team Candeias was a far better option.

Yes. If you are going to ignore their respective goals and assists impact.

For a player playing as one of our 3 FORWARDS, Candeias was nowhere near productive enough!

Candeias got 6 goals in 52 appearances last season, Ojo has 5 in 12 is it?!

A player can't just be measured on goals alone but as a wide forward at Rangers it's important nowadays especially if we accept that Kent on the other side isn't going to score a huge amount.

You seem upset by the win. Unable to enjoy the clean sheet because Katic wasn't playing and unwilling to enjoy the game-winning contribution from Ojo.

Yes, if Ojo scores the match-winner, I'll forgive his weaknesses.

Aye ok then.

Or I can see that it wasn't the perfect performance everyone is making out and that players can rightly be criticised.

I enjoyed the game don't worry about that :)

Ojo has a far higher ceiling than Candeias if he continues to learn the game and improve. Each to their own, but anyone who thinks otherwise should be sectioned.

I don't think anyone has suggested that Ojo can't or won't go further in the game than Candeias...?

Ojo has been a success already.
He is still wearing L plates and often he looks every bit a learner.
But ffsake that is what he is anyway.
However, he is a player with fantastic potential and game by game that potential is being unlocked.
Rather like Ryan Kent last season.

The comparison with Candeias is misjudged.
Candeias was all the player he was ever going to be.
Ojo is going to be a better player than our Portuguese Proddy and by the end of this season will have contributed more than Daniel was capable of giving us.

By next summer there will be people on here demanding Dave King to find the money to buy Ojo.

Ojo worked his balls off last night and did everything the manager asked of him tactically

I loved Candeias, but ojo is a game changer as opposed to a work horse

Ojo for me is frustrating. He seems to duck the physical side of the game but also seems to avoid trying to beat the full back with his pace. It is an asset that he isn't making the most of at the moment. Definitely capable of a good goal or two though.

We quite rightly complain that our players don't shoot from outside the box. Ojo is certainly not afraid to do this. Very pleased we have him.

Funny thread , Ojo has 5 goals and 2 assists already in 10 games , does anyone have Kent’s numbers for his first 10 games?
The lad is doing very well he looks to me more of an inside forward rather than an out and out winger but either way he is raw but is producing where it matters.

Last edited:
Just an opinion but Candeias offered far more to us than Ojo does. People can cite stats all they want, but for the balance of the team Candeias definitely offered more. Tav looked far more comfortable having Candeias in front of him as well.

I've not seen anything so far this season that would lead me to argue with that. Tav does seem to have suffered a slump in form this season, his confidence seems to be suffering a bit.:confused:

W.A.T.P.

Funny thread , Ojo has 5 goals and 2 assists already in 10 games , does anyone have Kent’s numbers for his first 10 games?
The lad is doing very well he looks to me more of an inside forward rather than an out and out winger but either way he is raw but is producing where it matters.

Stats only paint part of the picture though. Ojo scored the winner the other night (cracker of a goal!) but apart from that he's been quiet in most of the games.

If football was purely based on stats then the likes of Iniesta and Xavi would look mediocre compared to some others.

His downside is workrate, although I wonder if that only gets bandied about because of the comparison with Candeias. It’d be interesting to see his actual readings for Km per match

However, he seems to be delivering far more than Candeias in the final third, in terms of goals and assists per game.

So, he’s doing just fine as far as I can see

Back