Candeias > Ojo

Candeias wanted out first chance he got though.
Aye because Gerrard told him Ojo was ahead of him and Candieas....thought “this lad can’t lace my boots”!!

I stated at the time and have said it many times, Ojo is not an upgrade on Candieas and to compound matters he doesn’t link up with Tav anywhere near as effectively as Candieas.

The team isn’t playing anywhere near the levels of the team that finished last 5 games of last season

I don’t think ojo was brought in to play right wing.
I reckon when barker, jones and Kent are all fully fit they will be the 3 players fighting for the 2 spots on the wings

Ojo is a goal out of nothing type of player. More of a forward than a winger. His first instinct is to shoot, and I’m thankful for that. Will be worth more to us over a season.

Ojo will frustrate the hell out of us, that much is clear. However, in terms of goals and assists he’ll way surpass Candeias and probably Kent too. He’s rough around the edges but I think there’s a player there. I like the fact too that we finally have someone willing to shoot from distance.

I really liked Candeias but he wasn’t good enough for what we are aiming for. When teams sat in against us he rarely delivered.

Last edited:
DC want reassurance of playing time. We couldn’t give him that and he wasn’t up for the fight for his position.

Is he better than Ojo? Time will tell.

I have to agree. I was not a Candeias fan whatsoever, and felt we had to move on from him. Moving on to lazy Ojo who only turns up when the team is winning isnt good. Would like to see Barker & Kent.

Its a pointless discussion really as candeias is no longer s rangers player we need to be looking forward and not backward. Ojo started better than Kent done last season if he keeps improving then he'll be s big player here

Candaeis wanted to leave. The gaffer tried to keep him but he wanted to start every week. I wish he was still here too but he isn’t. We move on

DC was a workhorse but lacked quality really lacked quality. He gave everything he had. How’s it going in turkey for him?

Candeias was capable of the occasional moment of brilliance, but those moments were few and far between. We need our front three to be delivering goals and assists consistently.

The problem with Ojo is that he looks disinterested and lazy at times, so despite the end product he’s going to struggle to win fans over.

The last few weeks Ojo has looked like Bambi on ice, really really poor.

His stats are fine so far though this season, 4 goals, 4 assists. Miles ahead of the likes of Jones with 0 goals 2 assists. (Yeah I know Jones £10 million assist for Morelos v Legia)

I Just think Ojos going to frustrate us all season with his performances but still do okay goals and assists wise.

The Candeias argument is academic. What you can be sure of, however, is that Daniel Candeias still being a Rangers player would not have increased our chances of winning the title - he was here for 3 years and, let's be honest, he was average at best.

The harsh reality is that we probably require better than both Ojo and Candeais

Said to the same to my mate on Whatsapp during the match, he just doesn't offer enough for me.

Do we just ignore stats then and go with players who we think run around a lot?

Candieas worked hard but he was playing in a front three and rarely scored and hit the front post defender with his crosses with monotonous regularity. He was a big reason why we drew so many games we should have won last year. I didn’t dislike him but I’m glad he’s away. Ojo was poor today but even when that’s the case he’s far more likely to be decisive than Candieas.

Candeias was such a hard worker in attack and defence for the team and allowed Tav to drive forward more often.

I hope Ojo comes good, it justs frustrating as he hasn't got the same work rate. But he is a different type of player so I'll try and not compare him to Candeias.

Just an opinion but Candeias offered far more to us than Ojo does. People can cite stats all they want, but for the balance of the team Candeias definitely offered more. Tav looked far more comfortable having Candeias in front of him as well.
I said at the time was our biggest mistake of the window off load Daniel. Tab is 50% without him in the team.

Whilst I accept DC didn’t want to stay because he wasn’t guaranteed game time due to the managers squad ethic...Anyone saying he was technically poor is talking nonsense, his swan song double against Marseille was breathtaking and could not have been scored by a player lacking technique.

One could argue that he could be inconsistent and like quite a few at Ibrox his delivery at times was underwhelming. But Tav was a much more effective player with the reassurance of DC in front or covering behind him.

Ojo requires time, but the harbingers in terms of his ability are largely promising, though he requires to get himself more involved in games and be more proactive in terms of using his athleticism and skill to grab games by the scruff of the neck! .

He really is. Tav is pish without him

Nonsense.

Tav has had a pretty average start to season admittedly, but that is as much down to a change in how we are approaching games. For large parts of last season 90% of our attacking play came down the right hand side.

It is much more varied now and as a result, Tav is seeing less of the ball.

Has nothing to do with Candeias not being there.

i dont see it with ojo with what he has shown us so far, big improvement required imo

Could Docherty play this position? He seems the closest player to DC in terms of work rate, effort , running power and can be a goal threat

The same Candies that was getting pelters for most games last season?

Was he not the player that gave up tracking a mentally challenged that scored at their place?

Ojo has 4 goals and 4 assists so far this season.

Candeias got 6 goals and 10 assists the whole of last season.

Ojo will have better numbers than Candeias come the end of the season.

The treatment of Ojo has been a disgrace from some so-called supporters at the games-it's going to be a long season and there was pockets of in-fighting all around me in the MS today.

Hard to see how we develop players particularly with punters who clearly have ho fucking clue about the game.

Today was depressing from a supporting perspective.

Candeias was the finished article and he wasn't good enough maybe Ojo won't be good enough but clearly SG thought he could do a job.

It's already a recovery situation for the lad and yes he has had a few rough games after a good start.

After almost every domestic game we didn’t win there was a candieas thread talking about his hard work but offering little going forward. Which was usually accurate.
The longer he’s gone the better he gets. He didn’t offer enough, oh and he WANTED TO LEAVE. He didn’t want to play for rangers.

If Ojo isn’t good enough that doesn’t mean candieas was, because he wasn’t. Ojo deserves more time Kent had plenty poor games last season

After almost every domestic game we didn’t win there was a candieas thread talking about his hard work but offering little going forward. Which was usually accurate.
The longer he’s gone the better he gets. He didn’t offer enough, oh and he WANTED TO LEAVE. He didn’t want to play for rangers.

If Ojo isn’t good enough that doesn’t mean candieas was, because he wasn’t. Ojo deserves more time Kent had plenty poor games last season

The reality is we dropped multiple points with DC in the team. And your Ojo Kent comparison is spot on.

Actually he did want to play - every game. He left because he was not happy to sit on the bench so even more credit is due

Candieas plays today and the first bad cross you gear the moan and groans, then shouts of pish Candieas.

Then onto FF and the whipping DC would get.

It's like Vlad Weiss, he was getting slatted on here but leaves then 6 months later becomes a 9/10 player from every game he ever played for us.

We are a fickle bunch, myself included.

Only came in to the game once we were winning, need more for him to try and force the game against teams who sit in.

Candeias wanted to leave and going by reports it's not going well for him at all.
If Ojo ain't cutting it we need to try other options.
I'm also not buying into Tavs game is suffering because he has gone

I think Tav's been poor this season by his own standards and I genuinely think a lot of that is down to who's playing in front of him. When Candeias was right mid Tav always had that insurance policy that Candeias would be covering him.

Also, those using stats - it only tells half the story. Last season Kent still looked dangerous even in his first couple of months. He was running at players and beating players. Ojo doesn't do that and doesn't seem to have a trick up his sleeve - he relies purely on pace, which is almost useless against packed defences.

Another issue is that Ojo seems to get the nod in the majority of games even if he's been poor for weeks.

Ojo seems to get a game every week no matter how consistently pish he is. I’m hoping that’s because Gerrard can see something in him.
Ojo never started against Celtic. The only game we have lost.

I think Tav's been poor this season by his own standards and I genuinely think a lot of that is down to who's playing in front of him. When Candeias was right mid Tav always had that insurance policy that Candeias would be covering him.

Also, those using stats - it only tells half the story. Last season Kent still looked dangerous even in his first couple of months. He was running at players and beating players. Ojo doesn't do that and doesn't seem to have a trick up his sleeve - he relies purely on pace, which is almost useless against packed defences.

Another issue is that Ojo seems to get the nod in the majority of games even if he's been poor for weeks.
Apart from Celtic you mean, the only game which we have lost and he never started??

Yes DC covered Tav and that`s why it worked. So what happens when Barisic is isolated and left exposed with no cover in the form of DC in front of him? You seem to forget DC left, we didn`t force him out. He wanted to be a first choice and not up for the fight for a shirt due to his age.

We can list hundreds of players who left which we would have wanted to keep.

Candeias wanted out first chance he got though.

I haven't read through the full thread yet so no doubt more people have already agreed with you...

People forget that he (A) Had wanted to move on for some time or (B) Took the huff at being left out the first Europa squad.

Either way, there was no point in us forcing him to stay.

Apart from Celtic you mean, the only game which we have lost and he never started??

Yes DC covered Tav and that`s why it worked. So what happens when Barisic is isolated and left exposed with no cover in the form of DC in front of him? You seem to forget DC left, we didn`t force him out. He wanted to be a first choice and not up for the fight for a shirt due to his age.

We can list hundreds of players who left which we would have wanted to keep.

Are you suggesting that Celtic beat us because Ojo didn't start?

Also, I don't blame Candeias for wanting out. At his current age he probably wants to play every week and given that he was randomly left out of the European squad he no doubt thought that his chances would be limited.

I'd still have him over Ojo, Stewart, Hastie and possibly even Jones tbh.

Back