Tremendous Result but there’s an elephant in the room

So what a crowd and what an apt result for a tribute to Fernando!

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Helander.....Yes please.....what a game he had!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

McGregor.....an absolute brick wall!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.

Agree that Tav should be off penalties for a bit, didn't fancy him to score at all last night.

Disagree with Goldson, thought he was excellent last night although Katic was unfortunate to be dropped imo, Helander will prove to be a good signing as well I hope.

Ojo agree, I'd like him to be more direct with his running.

I'm sure most will agree we need to be more clinical as a team.

I hope we stick with Goldson and Helander v St. Johnstone.

Tav will score his next penalty.

Ojo was poor, bar the goal. But his stats are impressive. Once we have Kent and JJ back - we are good out wide.

I agree.

The manager gave his reasons for not playing Katic.

Yes, we all know there would have been a colossal shitstorm if we hadn’t won. Heck, if we’d have drawn 0-0 people would have blamed the manager for dropping Katic.
But we won, so it turned out to be the correct decision.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is your first choice Rangers partnership at the back for the big games going forward. Not saying everyone will like that fact, but it’s the way it is.

After Goldson’s horror show at Celtic it should’ve been Katic & Helander.

Goldson’s error sold the first goal. Katic was as poor as his partner that day, and would have joined him in the sold goals club were it not for McGregor.

Bottom line after last night though is that Helander looks likely to be the best CB at the club and looks an incredibly shrewd bit of business.

We’ve just beaten Feyenoord in Europe, 6 years ago we were playing Stirling Albion and Clyde etc. Elephant in the room? %^*& off.
Complete drama. We all recognise there are some issues. We all recognise we are buying some players on the cheap.
It's only an elephant in the room if you are ignoring the problem.

We are doing very well and will improve as we make more money and build our squad.

We should be enjoying our success and not slating what we have at the moment.

The time to moan is when the team don't put in the effort.

Goldson didn’t put a foot wrong.

Tav was a 6/10, not poor and not great.

Ojo scored a match winning goal.

Some folk on here genuinely can’t enjoy what they’re watching when they don’t know what they’re watching surely?

We must've watched a different match. Almost cost us a goal by losing his man at a corner...luckily for us he missed from a free header.

the Katic fanboys now turning on Goldson, never mind that he’s our best CH by a distance, some of our support make negativity and pettiness an art form.

Absolutely no idea what that's based on tbh.

It's latter & you have no idea what Gerrard's thinking is.
Katic is very young for a CH, and imho Gerrard rates him very highly, he'll end up playing at the very highest level. He's played a lot of games, and Gerrard made the right call tonight, but I expect Gerrard and anyone else that recognizes a player, and knows we have a star in Katic.

Not having this as a reason either. Katic is 22 and we're only in September, he should be able to play 50+ games a season if required.

I dont get the hate Ojo gets. 5 goals and 4 assists before September is finished but aye he's shite and dies %^*& all :rolleyes:

Do you honestly believe Ojo played well last night, or against Livi for that matter?

A tad ironic given your apparent 'blind loyalty' to Katic. In the Legia game BOTH were immense, not just Katic. In the Dhims game Goldson made a horrendous mistake rather than have a 'horror show'. All players make mistakes - even Katic, who was awful against Livi just last weekend. You've been going to Ibrox long enough to know that.

I will be honest, I actually agree that over the course of this season so far Katic has been slightly better than Goldson. Over the course of the last season though Goldson has been better than Katic. We pay a Manager a tidy sum to make these choices, and he has the benefit of seeing these guys every day and judging who will bring more to the team. It may be that he looks to the relative leadership and experience qualities of both players in addition to their abilities and current form and comes to the conclusion Goldson is the better option. That's what he's there for. In truth, ability wise I don't think there is a huge amount between them so its reasonable for those additional qualities to see Goldson get the nod.

It's not blind loyalty to Katic at all, it's recognising that he's been our best defender this season yet he doesn't even make the match squad. The main issue I have is that Goldson is allowed to make countless mistakes and have several poor games yet he's undroppable...Gerrard waits for Katic to have one poor game and he's not even in the squad. Even last season he was blindly picking Worrall over Katic. Goldson away to Spartak was the worst performance of the season for a defender yet Katic had a shaky first half (forget who it was against) and he got hooked at half time.

We must've watched a different match. Almost cost us a goal by losing his man at a corner...luckily for us he missed from a free header.

Not having this as a reason either. Katic is 22 and we're only in September, he should be able to play 50+ games a season if required.

Do you honestly believe Ojo played well last night, or against Livi for that matter?

It's not blind loyalty to Katic at all, it's recognising that he's been our best defender this season yet he doesn't even make the match squad. The main issue I have is that Goldson is allowed to make countless mistakes and have several poor games yet he's undroppable...Gerrard waits for Katic to have one poor game and he's not even in the squad. Even last season he was blindly picking Worrall over Katic. Goldson away to Spartak was the worst performance of the season for a defender yet Katic had a shaky first half (forget who it was against) and he got hooked at half time.
Katic has a shocker against Celtic, he was caught out repeatedly, he constantly makes the same positional mistakes but never gets criticised for it as some just don’t want to see it, Goldson is our best CH, he makes mistakes but he very rarely costs us goals.

Watch our CB pairings closely. Goldson and McGregor are talking to Katic constantly.

As much as there’s a star in the making in Katic, he’s a wildly inexperienced central defender still being guided through games by more senior pros. That’s to be expected from
One so young and will help make him one hell of a player.

What it does mean is he’s not ready to lead a defence. I don’t think you can trust Helander to perform that function yet either so Helander and Goldson started last night.

FWIW, I think Katic was worse than Goldson v Celtic and infinitely poorer v Livi.

Is this the new hip thing? Any time someone has the audacity to point out a potential deficiency in our performance, it's a race to see who can post the most sarcastic response or accuse them of not enjoying the win?

Does a victory mask everything else? Does a victory indicate that every player played well? What's the harm in pointing out that a few players weren't overly impressive on the night?

FWIW, I thought, his goal aside, Ojo was pretty lazy at times and left us exposed down the left. I thought Tav had a relatively quiet game too, with less than normal effect down the right hand side.

Shoot me down and call me a mentally challenged...
I think it's all about timing. In the cold light of day it makes sense to analyse the performance both as a unit and individually, that way we. can continue to improve. But, to start this post right after a tremendous result does need questioning.

A poll on FF demonstrates that Katic is far better than Goldson. :eek:

I really like Katic but he is not far better. We have three very good Ch. And a decent developing 4th. Just enjoy that.

Also on a FF poll demonstrating anything. I remember plenty of threads preseason on our best midfield and who drops out. Loads were for benching Jack! :eek:

1. Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

2. Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

3. Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

4. Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!
1. Nonsense, Katic is a colossus but he's not better than Goldson. Goldson has been poor of late and maybe you could justify that for a spell out of the team. Goldson, while made a few shite passes, made a brilliant one for Arfield during the game, something Katic doesn't give us.

We kept another clean sheet last night. Lets not forget that. I would like to see Helander and Goldson have a run of games together.

2. Tavernier is a right back and played well after the miss, well done to him. I would back Tav to go on and score his next penalty, then the next 20 thereafter. He was unfortunate and a foot away from an unsaveable penalty. It wasn't horrific. We still won.

3. Ojo plays a disciplined game for a winger, I am highly critical of him to the point it's OTT. While I agree with what you say, his ball retention was brilliant for the most part. We expect more from him with his ability... then again, isn't he the one that scored an absolute rocket for the winner? When he went off I could see exactly what he was bringing to the game. I just wished he would be more positive, I feel like he's holding himself back.

He's started better in a Rangers jersey than Kent did.

4. 100% agree.

Pretty much agree with the original post, perhaps though it should have waited till next day. ( ie today)

Seems Goldson never gets dropped.

He needs dropped, Helander has had to wait, Katic has been dropped, Barisic in and out, Defoe for Morelos, Aribo on the bench last night.

Call it what you want, squad rotation, having a mental break, dropped. Either way Goldson needs his turn.

I reckon the elephant in the room has got to be - will FARE report us again? I’m not saying they should as I personally never heard anything wrong but it would hardly be surprising if they tried to punish us for BMG or coming down the road(I know they shouldn’t be allowed to but we know how they operate)
Nothing to look at

Our support tonight again was outstanding

Not any add ons at all

So all good

Not one player deserves criticism tonight and they all deserve plaudits.

Bigger picture, Katic is by far a better centre half than Goldson and the bollocks excuse our manager gave about why he didn’t feature tonight questions our intelligence
This I agree with. Have to admit that I wasn't very confident of getting a result from this game and was hoping that at least we wouldn't lose.
Rangers form had not been great recently and I have to admit that the Celtic game knocked a bit of the stuffing out of me.
I'm not going to criticise anyone as it's only just over 2 years that we were humiliated by progres and here we are after a big euro night with a win over feyenoord,one of Europe's big names.
Yes,theres things to work on,but unless we're playing against the st Joseph's of the world,you just cant expect to dominate games against these teams for 90 mins,they will always have moments in the game.
Well done to the club and everyone who played a part.

I agree Tav didn’t have a good game tonight and that it was likely the pressure of an emotional night.
Goldson was great tonight, covered his full back, won everything in the air and was assured in possession.
Only place I saw we missed Katic was at corners, particularly 2 in the first half that we got a head on - Katic would have got at least 1 on target..............probably.

That said, great result on an important night.

That performance from all our players in the first half was outstanding, in the second half feyenoord came out a better team and took the game to us, this resulted in some of our players having to work harder which was energy sapping and as the game progressed past the 60th minute it showed especially on those that were subbed, they were slower to react and mistimed tackles, gave possession away far too easily when pressed and for me the biggest issue not finding our players with a simple pass all down to dropping energy levels and tiredness and feyenoord exploited this at times by stretching play that helped them get at us, second half was nail biting stuff at times that put pressure on us defensively but we weathered the storm and took all 3 points- and this is all that mattered, we win as a team and we lose as a team, not as individuals.

What a car crash of a thread.

I get vibes that people are gutted we won as they can't go full mental and complain about everything.

How do you get promoted to the level where you can call folk arseholes?

I think the OP is over critical.
But better to analyse weakness from a position of strength rather than have a postmortem after a bad result.

If I'd still been up when OP posted last night, I would've probably joined in with the slagging - but this is a fair point. However, I'm not letting one bit of OP's match analysis slide...

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two

Is this deliberate parody? A FF poll 'confirming' his/her belief that Katic is the better CB ffs :D

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.

agree with most of this but not all , we were very organised and deserved the victory no doubt but we really need to learn to keep the ball better at 1-0 and to make better decisions in the final 3rd, we start doing that we will be winning games comfortably

My problem is my dodgy heart and three up at half time which we deserved would have made sure I was still alive at the end of the game.
Great result and now for three points against just a lot of youngsters.
Fernando would be proud of us on a night we remembered a true Ranger.

I guess some folks are just "glass half empty". I'm still just enjoying the win :)
Or dedicated championship manager players when in reality they stack shelves or flip burgers.
The best people to get the best out of this team are the ones who see them every day in training,and have dedicated their lives to football. By all means have an opinion but that's all it is.

The elephant in the room for me is our lack of finishing & killing off teams which could have came back to bite us on the arse last night.
Frustrating as fcuk when watching the highlights just now,to see the missed chances we had to be 2 or 3 in front at 1/2 time.
Morelos looked off form last night & should have been subbed for Defoe.
Have another few moans but not worth bumping my gums about after what was a massive win for us.
now onto Sunday:) :))

I think it's all about timing. In the cold light of day it makes sense to analyse the performance both as a unit and individually, that way we. can continue to improve. But, to start this post right after a tremendous result does need questioning.

Fair point.

Players should never be immune from a little analysis, positive of negative, win or lose.

Last edited:

Now the elephants....

Seen some stupid comments above but this is the right time to analysis a game, cheers for that WATP

The elephant in the room for me is our lack of finishing & killing off teams which could have came back to bite us on the arse last night.
Frustrating as fcuk when watching the highlights just now,to see the missed chances we had to be 2 or 3 in front at 1/2 time.
Morelos looked off form last night & should have been subbed for Defoe.
Have another few moans but not worth bumping my gums about after what was a massive win for us.
now onto Sunday:) :))

Morelos was the best player on the pitch.

We played a team around 100 ranking places above us in Europe, we outplayed them for the first half, we held on well in the 2nd half, we deserved our narrow win, what else do some people want at this stage of our recovery?

Nothing.

People had it in for him immediately when they seen their favourite centre half was dropped.

He played really well today, both centre halves dealt with what they gave us brilliantly.
He did not play really well. Got out of jail a few times. Needs to up his concentration levels and has done for a while. Thought he looked immense towards the end of last season however this season he's been below par. But I'll give him a pass because A: we won B: He had a new CB partner.

The excuse the manager gave for Katic not playing was fücking pathetic but we’re not allowed to discuss it on here.

Why should he need an excuse for not playing him when Helander was outstanding and we kept a clean sheet winning the game?

This place is unreal at times.

1. Nonsense, Katic is a colossus but he's not better than Goldson. Goldson has been poor of late and maybe you could justify that for a spell out of the team. Goldson, while made a few shite passes, made a brilliant one for Arfield during the game, something Katic doesn't give us.

We kept another clean sheet last night. Lets not forget that. I would like to see Helander and Goldson have a run of games together.

2. Tavernier is a right back and played well after the miss, well done to him. I would back Tav to go on and score his next penalty, then the next 20 thereafter. He was unfortunate and a foot away from an unsaveable penalty. It wasn't horrific. We still won.

3. Ojo plays a disciplined game for a winger, I am highly critical of him to the point it's OTT. While I agree with what you say, his ball retention was brilliant for the most part. We expect more from him with his ability... then again, isn't he the one that scored an absolute rocket for the winner? When he went off I could see exactly what he was bringing to the game. I just wished he would be more positive, I feel like he's holding himself back.

He's started better in a Rangers jersey than Kent did.

4. 100% agree.

Wooohaaaa!

Em, no he did not.

If Goldson had performed like Katic did against Livi on Saturday, this place would've went into meltdown.

He’s never been dropped and he sold a goal in the huge league game prior to that so would that not have been justified?

I can tell you something else, if Katic strolled out of defence and set Celtic on their way with a honking pass plenty of people would have been right on his case and asking for Helander to come back in immediately. It works both ways, there’s a list of posters I know for a fact would have been all over that like ants on a snickers, IF it had happened.

I really like Goldson and by and large I thought he did well last night and he’s a quality defender, but he’s been the lesser performer this season and is never the one to sit out, that’s just a fact and it’s something that is worthy of discussion. It’s a really nice problem to have mind you, but still you don’t like to see the player whose shown better form over the season being ousted from the squad completely after being the best defender in the side in getting us that far. Goldson is no whipping boy, a whipping boy is generally criticised for no good reason.

Grown men are too caught up in getting one over on other posters on here when it comes to these daft individual player debates. I like both Goldson and Katic, there's not been too much between them at all this season. It's Friday; log off the internet and go out and get your hole, would be my advice.

Sure there is always room for improvement but if you had offered me this start to the season before we got going I’d have proverbially chomped off your appendage with an opposable thumb for it

It’s not an elephant it’s an anteater!

Morelos was the best player on the pitch.
Was he? One minute I was saying brilliant play, the next I was bemoaning the fact he made the wrong decision, this continued all through the match not just the last 10 mins as is being made out. I like Morelos but he isn't immune to criticism as some want him to be on here. Do I want him playing on Sunday or starting every game, yes definitely he is a handful for any defence but far from being untouchable regarding pointing out his mistakes as well.

Grown men are too caught up in getting one over on other posters on here when it comes to these daft individual player debates. I like both Goldson and Katic, there's not been too much between them at all this season. It's Friday; log off the internet and go out and get your hole, would be my advice.

What else do you expect on a discussion forum? That is the very nature of ‘debate’. I’m not saying theres not petty debates where people pick a side and decide to stick to it regardless, but that’s not really the case here if you look at the respective form of the two players being discussed going back to last season.

If you take all that away then what’s the point of this platform? Just tune after a win and keep it all in reserve for when we slip up....

Why should he need an excuse for not playing him when Helander was outstanding and we kept a clean sheet winning the game?

This place is unreal at times.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it should be Helander to drop out for Katic though...

Was he? One minute I was saying brilliant play, the next I was bemoaning the fact he made the wrong decision, this continued all through the match not just the last 10 mins as is being made out. I like Morelos but he isn't immune to criticism as some want him to be on here. Do I want him playing on Sunday or starting every game, yes definitely he is a handful for any defence but far from being untouchable regarding pointing out his mistakes as well.

You're saying Morelos looked off form last night...Gerrard said he was unplayable.

Their defence didn't have a clue how to deal with him for the full 90 minutes, he absolutely bullied and terrorised them. He should've got a penalty, he squared the ball once or twice (pretty much on a plate) but nothing came of it.

In a perverse way, posters having a pop at players that just 2-3 seasons ago we would have given our right arm to have in the team is marvellous

Fair assessment, first half we were excellent, second half we were passed off the park and couldn’t string two passes together.
All those slagging off the OP, I take it you do the same when the manager is critical of his players.

Back