Tremendous Result but there’s an elephant in the room

Is this the new hip thing? Any time someone has the audacity to point out a potential deficiency in our performance, it's a race to see who can post the most sarcastic response or accuse them of not enjoying the win?

Does a victory mask everything else? Does a victory indicate that every player played well? What's the harm in pointing out that a few players weren't overly impressive on the night?

FWIW, I thought, his goal aside, Ojo was pretty lazy at times and left us exposed down the left. I thought Tav had a relatively quiet game too, with less than normal effect down the right hand side.

Shoot me down and call me a mentally challenged...

So what a crowd and what an apt result for a tribute to Fernando!

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Helander.....Yes please.....what a game he had!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

McGregor.....an absolute brick wall!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.
Awe feck off !!! Take a pill chill FFS!!...We could have been 3/4 up at half time against top opposition..Some people on here need to get a life?

Sorry op but why the negatives on a great night, Goldson had a good game he hardly lost a ball in the air and his overall performance was good, the full team had a great first half bar Tav who unfortunately missed the penalty but what pressure he must have been under on a emotional night, we had a lot more positives than negatives, we should have been out of sight before half time, I was so proud of our team last night, and I thought the crowd backed the team to the end, I hope Fernando was looking down, he would have enjoyed that.

I really like Katic, but think the manager was fully justified in his decision to bring in Helander, he was surprisingly quick, calm and good in the air, let's leave the management team to make the football decisions and enjoy a victory against a major European team,, ps Morelos was fantastic,

i thought goldson had a ropey game, his passing from the back can be poor bordering on dangerous for us at times.

The result is a fantastic one for us no doubt and we could have been up by a few at half time, we went in to our shell in the second half, there was a small number of players last night didn't have the best game but we got the job done, 3pts at our first home europa league group match! Superb.

Taverniers form has dipped immensely over the last few games. The only thing that is saving him from the chop is that he still had one or two moments of brilliance that can change the game but last night his passing was attrocious his throw in decisions were bizarre and obviously his penalty decision. Kamara was just as bad but did get an assist

I agree with most of what you say. However you will have growling, snarling bears telling you that ye is talking sh1te.

Not one player deserves criticism tonight and they all deserve plaudits.

Bigger picture, Katic is by far a better centre half than Goldson and the bollocks excuse our manager gave about why he didn’t feature tonight questions our intelligence
Our manager continually choosing Goldson over Katic could prove to be a costly mistake.

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.
very Balanced post, will get slaughtered on FF as a result

Taverniers form has dipped immensely over the last few games. The only thing that is saving him from the chop is that he still had one or two moments of brilliance that can change the game but last night his passing was attrocious his throw in decisions were bizarre and obviously his penalty decision. Kamara was just as bad but did get an assist
The only thing saving Tav from the chop is that he is still a level or 2 above any replacement even when he has a dip in form.
It’s time to support our players and stop looking for scapegoats.

Look back over the game and look at the amount of times Goldson mis places a pass and or provides a pass that puts his teammates in immediate trouble. He had a yard and a half head start on at least 2 occasions and was still second to the ball putting us at risk.

I want to see Katic and Helander get a few games together, in my humble opinion that is a combo that offer more both defensively and offensively at set pieces. Goldson needs rested!

Onwards to Sunday......another 3pts please!
He played well tonight. Also...there's another elephant in the room. Katic was absolutely abysmal on Saturday. His positioning against Livi was so poor. He got sucked into every challenge, caught under the ball and wasn't at the races at all. I love the big guy, but he has a lot to learn. It's not like we're dropping maldini.

I think the biggest elephant in the room is the negativity of some of you utter arseholes on a night we have just beaten a highly rated Dutch side to get off to a fantastic start in the Europa League group stages!

ENJOY THE WIN FFS!
How do you get promoted to the level where you can call folk arseholes?

I think the OP is over critical.
But better to analyse weakness from a position of strength rather than have a postmortem after a bad result.

Some right miserable bastards in our support.
Beat Feyenoord, “I know I’m going to look for some real or imagined negatives “.
Goldson was fine , not mistakes defended well.
Tav besides his penalty miss, I think he should have a rest from them, was good.
Ojo, if you watch the highlights was involved in nearly every dangerous move and scored a screamer to win the game.
Enjoy football please it’s entertainment and Rangers beat Feyenoord.

I thought every player gave their all. I cannot find fault in any of our lads last night.
lets not play down that result. Whether they are a good or bad Feyenoord team, they still play in a much stronger league than ours. Rangers bossed that game last night. The tackling and intensity at times was brilliant.

For me Goldson is our best defender, yes he has made a few mistakes recently but his overall defending is very good and him and Helander will make a good partnership.

Tav seems a bit more subdued that he has been over the last few seasons. He is a quality player and will be back to his best soon enough.

Ojo I think is one of those players who drift in and out of games, sometimes he will look awful then a minute later he does some brilliant. I think once he finds his consistency he will be a very good player.

Barisic was fantastic as was Helander. Goldson was fine and he and Helander should keep their partnership at the weekend. Tav was below par again but he’ll come good.

Ojo is frustrating. But should be a player for particular games. Similar to Candeias should’ve been but a complete opposite.

Kamara is beginning to look like a £50k player. Really hope he finds last seasons form.

Arfield still looks to be blowing out his arsē.

Morelos, Jack and Davis were brilliant but seemed to hit a brick wall in terms of energy during the second half.

All in all, we done well and got the three points. My only concern (and I’m scraping the barrel as it’s not been an issue much before) is that we seemed to empty the tank before we had played 60mins.
It didn’t affect us last night but I think Gerrard’s substitutions could be timed better (earlier), but as I say - I’m scraping the barrel.

Now the elephants....

Agree with it or not, its a more accurate review than you’ll find in the mhedia today.

Now the elephants....

A poll on FF said Katic is better so that’s now the case? Fucking hell. I like Katic but Goldson is the better player, the stats clearly show that as does the fact he’s picked every week by the management team.

I enjoyed the victory as much as the next man....you can bet your bottom dollar Gerrard and the coaching team will be all over the footage of our game tomorrow expressing opinions on where we let ourselves down and could have been better....Morelos as an example was immense but they will look at his final decision making at times where he shoots instead of lifting his head and looking for a better option and give him that feedback.

If you’ve played or understand the game you know a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset is what separates Great players like Gerrard to everyday journeymen it’s about looking at how you get better and being driven to learn.....you improve by having a learn it all approach more than a know it all approach....in any aspect of life!

My points are merely highlighting my opinion on where I think we can grow and improve and I very much doubt Gerrard and his team will only be back slapping the team privately throughout tomorrow.

Condescending pish.

whether this is right or wrong i don't know but as long as Ojo keeps scoring and assisting, for me the performances don't matter. i know he has been a bit below par and it does frustrate me but that's just how i see it.

Aye ok bud. If one isolated incident sums up a performance then Kamara and Ojo we’re ‘out of this world’ and Tav was a disaster.....

Bonkers!
Who the hell is saying any of that?

Kamara and Ojo were both fine to good last night. The entire team played well and we won the game. I’ve no idea why some folk insist on talking players down when they play well.

Well OP I don’t know what the %^*& you were watching, but Ojo was doing shuttle runs between Feyenoord players all night until he came off absolutely fucked!

Get over your crush on Katic. Gerrard explained he was left out because of tactical reasons and how we wanted to play. We kept a clean sheet, job done!

Everyone misses penalties.
It’s a lottery not a guaranteed goal. If Gerrard picks Tav on them then I’m fine with that. He sees them taking penalties in training etc, we don’t.

nothing imo.
he was caught for the raw pace of the dutch, and that's not a crime.
helander was chosen to combat that

What did Goldson do wrong?
Stayed in the team when the FF love child Katic was dropped.
That’s about all

“If you’ve played or understand the game you know a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset is what separates Great players”

Phuck me man, hahahaha

And with that i’m away to my bed.

Haha I know, Easily the wankiest thing I've ever seen posted on FF

We just beat feyenoord ffs

I'm a newcomer to the board but I genuinely can't believe how much stick you give your own players. I've never seen so much flak in various threads towards the team. After a victory as well! Crazy.

Can’t understand the blind loyalty to players and those being offended at criticism...can players only get criticised after a defeat?

Goldson was all over the place at times. Helander had to cover for him a few times, his distribution was poor and he left his man with about 10 yards of space at a corner that they should’ve scored from.

Katic was MOTM in our last European game yet he gets bombed completely out of the squad, it’s clear Gerrard has his favourites no matter how they perform. After Goldson’s horror show at Celtic it should’ve been Katic & Helander.

Goldson wasn't 'all over the place' at all, thats just plain nonsense.

Kamara and Ojo were both fine to good last night. The entire team played well and we won the game. I’ve no idea why some folk insist on talking players down when they play well.

Its like some folk don't even enjoy football, imagine coming away from last night with some if the shite takes on this thread, I just wouldn't go, joyless harbingers of doom.

We're all enjoying the win but you're entitled to ask questions! We were poor for large parts of the game tonight but I'm fucking delighted to get the win.

I did not think we were poor at all.

We played with such a tempo in the first 45 minutes that it was always likely to see us flag a bit as the game progressed, but we still created the better chances in the second half and stuck to the job of defending our lead.

The only criticism is not converting more of the chances we create.

We really need to be much more clinical at this level if we want to reach the knockout stages.

Talking points bud. It’s a football forum. Kamara was poor imo (and has been most of this season in comparison to last). You thought he was great.
Opinions happen..... Don’t get your pants all soaked.

I did not think we were poor at all.

We played with such a tempo in the first 45 minutes that it was always likely to see us flag a bit as the game progressed, but we still created the better chances in the second half and stuck to the job of defending our lead.

The only criticism is not converting more of the chances we create.

We really need to be much more clinical at this level if we want to reach the knockout stages.

Precisely, no team could keep that up for 90 minutes, we simply need to be more clinical in front of goal.

Talking points bud. It’s a football forum. Kamara was poor imo (and has been most of this season in comparison to last). You thought he was great.
Opinions happen..... Don’t get your pants all soaked.
It’s the people who are moaning about player performance after a good win who are pissing themselves for attention buddy.

Can’t understand the blind loyalty to players and those being offended at criticism...can players only get criticised after a defeat?

Goldson was all over the place at times. Helander had to cover for him a few times, his distribution was poor and he left his man with about 10 yards of space at a corner that they should’ve scored from.

Katic was MOTM in our last European game yet he gets bombed completely out of the squad, it’s clear Gerrard has his favourites no matter how they perform. After Goldson’s horror show at Celtic it should’ve been Katic & Helander.

A tad ironic given your apparent 'blind loyalty' to Katic. In the Legia game BOTH were immense, not just Katic. In the Dhims game Goldson made a horrendous mistake rather than have a 'horror show'. All players make mistakes - even Katic, who was awful against Livi just last weekend. You've been going to Ibrox long enough to know that.

I will be honest, I actually agree that over the course of this season so far Katic has been slightly better than Goldson. Over the course of the last season though Goldson has been better than Katic. We pay a Manager a tidy sum to make these choices, and he has the benefit of seeing these guys every day and judging who will bring more to the team. It may be that he looks to the relative leadership and experience qualities of both players in addition to their abilities and current form and comes to the conclusion Goldson is the better option. That's what he's there for. In truth, ability wise I don't think there is a huge amount between them so its reasonable for those additional qualities to see Goldson get the nod.

Back