Tremendous Result but there’s an elephant in the room

Who is giving Goldson “dogs abuse” !? He’s been poor the majority of the season yet he is beyond reproach yet our best performing centre half is sent to the stand with a trackie on and that’s ok. %^*& me.

He has been nowhere remotely close to being poor.
The new FF whipping boy, a position reserved for any centre half who gets picked ahead of Katic.

Discuss it, I assumed he was injured?

“Tactical decision, don’t want the defence throwing themselves into every challenge” Carragher, Gough etc would never get a game for our manager in big games then.

Katic trained today so not injured. Full of shite.

Folk need to realise adults can enjoy the result whilst still wishing to discuss other aspects of the game.

I thought Goldson was fine tonight albeit he gave me a couple of nervy moments. But fans are quite right to be concerned that the inevitable finally happened and the big man was dropped after consecutive poor games, something which will seemingly never happen with his partner. Trot out every excuse in the book, it doesn’t send the right message.

Folk need to realise adults can enjoy the result whilst still wishing to discuss other aspects of the game.

I thought Goldson was fine tonight albeit he gave me a couple of nervy moments. But fans are quite right to be concerned that the inevitable finally happened and the big man was dropped after consecutive poor games, something which will seemingly never happen with his partner. Trot out every excuse in the book, it doesn’t send the right message.

Amen to that.

Can’t understand the blind loyalty to players and those being offended at criticism...can players only get criticised after a defeat?

Goldson was all over the place at times. Helander had to cover for him a few times, his distribution was poor and he left his man with about 10 yards of space at a corner that they should’ve scored from.

Katic was MOTM in our last European game yet he gets bombed completely out of the squad, it’s clear Gerrard has his favourites no matter how they perform. After Goldson’s horror show at Celtic it should’ve been Katic & Helander.

I’ll phone jaap Stam, OP you order the pies get them back say Monday night for a replay see if we can get this elephant tae fook.
8 all right again?
In the words of bewitched - Get a Loife. Ya fifa bassa.

So what a crowd and what an apt result for a tribute to Fernando!

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Helander.....Yes please.....what a game he had!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

McGregor.....an absolute brick wall!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.

Our defence has just had a shut out against a top Dutch team, who have a very highly rated striker and you want to have a pop at one of our central defenders?

Gerrard and his coaching staff work with the players every day, but you know better?

Thank %^*& the manager picks the team and not you.

We have 4 excellent central defenders and Gerrard clearly chose the right 2 tonight, as the scoreline shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the victory as much as the next man....you can bet your bottom dollar Gerrard and the coaching team will be all over the footage of our game tomorrow expressing opinions on where we let ourselves down and could have been better....Morelos as an example was immense but they will look at his final decision making at times where he shoots instead of lifting his head and looking for a better option and give him that feedback.

If you’ve played or understand the game you know a growth mindset as opposed to a fixed mindset is what separates Great players like Gerrard to everyday journeymen it’s about looking at how you get better and being driven to learn.....you improve by having a learn it all approach more than a know it all approach....in any aspect of life!

My points are merely highlighting my opinion on where I think we can grow and improve and I very much doubt Gerrard and his team will only be back slapping the team privately throughout tomorrow.

Fkn deary deary me. Go to bed you’re making an arse of yourself

Our defence has just had a shut out against a top Dutch team, who have a very highly rated striker and you want to have a pop at one of our central defenders?

Gerrard and his coaching staff work with the players every day, but you know better?

Thank %^*& the manager picks the team and not you.

We have 4 excellent central defenders and Gerrard thankfully chose the right 2 tonight, as the scoreline proved.

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have gotten a clean sheet with Helander and Katic though? I thought Goldson had some rocky moments tonight certain posters would have went to town on Katic for.

I get that the gaffer works with the players regularly, but that was still the case when he was picking Worral too and no one can convince me that wasn’t just daft, and when he had that OF selection, can anyone really say it was justified. Great to get the win but I’d be lying if I said the favouritism shown to Goldson didn’t irritate me, as I said previously it it sends out the wrong message too, and I think the big man will rightly feel hard done, bombed out on a big euro night after helping us to the group stage for the second year running.

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have gotten a clean sheet with Helander and Katic though? I thought Goldson had some rocky moments tonight certain posters would have went to town on Katic for.

I get that the gaffer works with the players regularly, but that was still the case when he was picking Worral too and no one can convince me that wasn’t just daft, and when he had that OF selection, can anyone really say it was justified. Great to get the win but I’d be lying if I said the favouritism shown to Goldson didn’t irritate me, as I said previously it it sends out the wrong message too, and I think the big man will rightly feel hard done, bombed out on a big euro night after helping us to the group stage for the second year running.

I'm not on here to criticise Katic mate, but equally I'm not going to have a Goldson witch hunt either, particularly after a clean sheet against a top team who'd plenty possession.

The manager called it right tonight.

I like Niko, but clearly Gerrard thought Goldson and Helander was the best partnership for tonight's game.

Anyone questioning that has their own agenda.

Barisic was immense tonight, he didn’t pull out the challenge which led to our goal.....I hope his goal and now this type of performance is seeing him grow into that shirt!

Jack coming back from his knee complaint straight into the heat of that battle alongside Davis.....solid as hell!!!

Now the elephants....

Goldson should never have been chosen over Katic.....I’ve said it before and the poll on FF has demonstrated it too.....Katic is by far the better of those two & Gerrard needs to rest Goldson for a bit and try and different combination with Helander.

Tavernier he can’t be on the pens now...2 already missed this season and at this level misses like that could be costly....he’s a lucky lad tonight that we got away with that miss.

Ojo....what a strike....the lad could not have hit that any cleaner.....however the rest of the game he was way below par....both with his final ball and his defensive tracking back....he looked so lackadaisical at times it was sorely frustrating!!!

Overall as a team we need to be far more clinical with the chances we create, at this level and to be league champions we need to be ruthless middle to front and thus far we haven’t seen that streak to our game!

3 points to start though but a missed opportunity to bag some goals to help put us in top spot!

Great result in the end and nice tribute from Ojo to dedicate his goal to Fernando and his family.
Playing certain players because of a Thursday night poll on FF? Think you’re on the bevy mate

Goldson had a few rocky moments but I don't think I've ever seen a Rangers or any other teams CB playing at a European level have a flawless night and I've seen some great Rangers Centre Backs in the past

I'm not on here to criticise Katic mate, but equally I'm not going to have a Goldson witch hunt either, particularly after a clean sheet against a top team who'd plenty possession.

The manager called it right tonight.

I like Niko, but clearly Gerrard thought Goldson and Helander was the best partnership for tonight's game.

Anyone questioning that has their own agenda.

I don’t agree with the last part though. I think people are entitled to question it given the respective form of the two players going back into last season. I think results like 3 weeks ago also show that just because the gaffer said so doesn’t necessarily mean he’s right.

It’s great to get a win and we can’t have many complaints tonight in light of that, but on a personal level I’m gutted for Katic because the reality is he’s been a better defender than Goldson this season and was always going to be the victim of the Helander signing because he’s not the gaffers favourite and he obviously has a blindspot where certain players are concerned.

I don’t agree with the last part though. I think people are entitled to question it given the respective form of the two players going back into last season. I think results like 3 weeks ago also show that just because the gaffer said so doesn’t necessarily mean he’s right.

It’s great to get a win and we can’t have many complaints tonight in light of that, but on a personal level I’m gutted for Katic because the reality is he’s been a better defender than Goldson this season and was always going to be the victim of the Helander signing because he’s not the gaffers favourite and he obviously has a blindspot where certain players are concerned.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one mate.

I enjoy your posts, but for me the manager got it right tonight.

It's not really an "elephant in the room" - SG has made it clear that Goldson is one of his leaders on/off the park. Likewise Arfield. It's not an issue that is being ignored.

I could understand the questioning if goals were being routinely conceded. It's odd, though, to talk of an "elephant in the room" after a clean sheet in a big European game.

It's fair to say Goldson did have a few bloomers tonight, had me raging at times. He was awful in parts of the game.

That's what makes football the No1 sport in the world, it's such a nerve racking, heart attack inducing type of thing, anger and frustration is involved, supreme fuck-ups happen during the match, lashings of ultimate joy come in between, your team losing can mean not speaking to your best pal for days, your pal feels the same, a defeat is akin to a boot in the haw maws.
When your team wins it becomes a different story though.
We all embrace each other, sometimes you kiss your mate in a moment of euphoria, your mate while grabbing you in return takes a few seconds out and thinks..."Whit the fuk am a daein?"
That's football. Ah the joy :D
Rangers 1 Feyenoord 0.

What is clear is that despite putting in some stellar defensive performances recently, Gerrard has reservations about Katic, and if asked to choose between him and Goldson, he will usually go with the later.

Tav trying to place his penalty out of reach of the goalie tells me he’s far from confident.. He normally puts them away easily .. time for a change

Now the elephants....

Goldson didn’t put a foot wrong.

Tav was a 6/10, not poor and not great.

Ojo scored a match winning goal.

Some folk on here genuinely can’t enjoy what they’re watching when they don’t know what they’re watching surely?

Now the elephants....

FFS, have you forgotten where we've been & come from?
A net spend of peanuts, we win our 1st group game after 4 qualifying rounds & you choose negativity. Our young & inexperienced team fought like lions tonight, and beat a decent European side with pedigree. The effort and commitment was fantastic, befitting of any Rangers team. Gerrard has built an exciting team on a shoestring budget and people are still not happy.
I'm not going to let your negativity or any other nuggets spoil the enjoyment!

What is clear is that despite putting in some stellar defensive performances recently, Gerrard has reservations about Katic, and if asked to choose between him and Goldson, he will usually go with the later.

It's latter & you have no idea what Gerrard's thinking is.
Katic is very young for a CH, and imho Gerrard rates him very highly, he'll end up playing at the very highest level. He's played a lot of games, and Gerrard made the right call tonight, but I expect Gerrard and anyone else that recognizes a player, and knows we have a star in Katic.

Tav trying to place his penalty out of reach of the goalie tells me he’s far from confident.. He normally puts them away easily .. time for a change

Would like to see Alfie on pens, add another 10 goals a season, increase his value (if we have to let him go) & he's so confident, a miss won't faze him.

Goldson is becoming the new whipping boy now that Barisic is starting to turn it around. It’s sad to see. I thought Goldson was good tonight.

My only issue was in the second half Alfie and Arfield seemed to be deliberately not passing to each other and both were getting moodier and moodier about it. There were 3 or 4 occasions when both of them took the wrong option when the obvious (and right) pass was to play the other one in.

I think Arfield needs a spell on the bench if I’m honest, he just looks off the pace at the moment.

Good OP, I agree with all except Tav and penalties. His record overall is still pretty good, I’d say he is still the best ball striker we have (which is why it’s frustrating as hell that he went for a side foot open side) and deserves to stay in that role for now.

The Goldson v Katic one gets clearer all the time. No doubt Katic benefits from playing next to an experienced partner but Helander showed us last night he should be that man.

What was it Goldson did wrong tonight?
He had a brutal 15 minute period to start the 2nd half but he was good the rest of the time. As much as i like Katic the crowd that think he never makes mistakes or has poor games are annoying

It was a very good result built on some impressive performances from key individuals. That shouldn't mean that reasonable discussion of the game, including recognising what didn't go so well, is a bad thing.

The elephant, if there was one, isn't Goldson over Katic. It's the amount of possession and pressure Rangers had for spells last night that we couldn't convert to a 2nd goal to kill the game. That lack of clinical and ruthless attacking was a bigger issue.

Ojo scored (again) the winner, hit the post and got into several excellent positions... That's what he is here to do.

9 goals and assists in 12 games speaks for itself.

Now the elephants....

Zzzzzx.

We were all tense last night and the players felt it.
Rushed a lot of passes and chashed a second goal
That we dissent need at times.
My personal opinion is Stevie G preparing for 3 at the back in away games in Europe and giving our big Swede game time.
That said,what a start

Ojo was good tonight if not clinical enough, he closed down well when we were pressing hard and scored a screamer.

We just beat feynoord at at home, get some perspective OP.

Back